1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in September???

Barbarella63

Re: Starting chemo in September???

Hi everyone, welcome Helen and other stars that have found us today, getting bigger all the time! Just a quick reminder, I'm doing a list and if you would like your details added to it please PM me with diagnosis treatment so far (and to come ) where in the country you are and the date of the chemo if you know it, if. Not we can add it as we go along. It will make life easier for me if you could PM me, saves me trawling back thru the previous posts trying to find you all. Obviously we can amend as we go but it's a great way of keeping track of us all and who knows some of us maybe near enough to meet! I'm going to give it a go tomorrow so wish me luck as I'm not the most technically minded!
Hope you all had a good day, I went wig shopping, was amazed at how good they are, I've bought 3 thought I'd ring the changes, see how many people notice lol I'm feeling a lot more confident about the hairloss now 😀 I've also bought a toothbrush sanitiser off Amazon (apparently if your loo is in your bathroom and you flush with the lid open germs fly about and if your toothbrush is nearby it gets covered! If you put it in your mouth and you have no immunity during chemo you end up with ulcers and stuff! The ones I bought were £7 for 2 you just snap them on your brush until you use it and keeps it germ free! Simples😀each one lasts 3 months!
Has anyone cracked and bought a bandana yet? I'm just not sure I can bring myself to get one as I think it screams cancer patient! Maybe ill get a slouchy beanie instead! At least winter is coming so there will be plenty of hats in the shops. No doubt about it having cancer is frigging expensive! Btw have you all got your free NHS prescription cards so you don't have to pay for the next 5 years? If not you can get the form off the doctor, fill it in and send it off and voila it comes through the post (doesn't cover dental charges tho)
Anyway enough waffling take care stars Barbs xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Helen, we would love to have you join the Stars. I am so sorry to hear your news but rest assured you will get all the help and support we have to give. We all have a battle ahead and we all have different stories to tell but one thing is for certain we are all holding hands to keep strong so we can fight our way through it. Don't feel you are on your own. I'm sure everyone will agree we are all here ready and waiting if you need us.

Signing off now. Goodnight Helen and all you brilliant shining Stars. x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all , I'm due to start 8 FEC-T on the 4th September
I'm 49 - well 50 on Wednesday and a widow . Still grieving my husband and now dealing with this finding it all to much .
Can I join the group , would love some company and someone to chat to if that's ok
Helen x
Hazey_85

Hi stars

You highlighted it very well there PTB about the solution to the problem being the thing that will actually make us feel ill!! Big old pill to swallow isn't it but like everyones saying lots of support, hugs and giggles here along the way to get us through and we will get there.

I'm off wig shopping next week so it's good to know that some stars have found them to be better than own hair. Mannequin head I bought freaks me out a bit it's living in the bathroom at the moment so hoping i don't forget its there and scare myself if I have to pee in the middle of the night!

Samjs the male suggestions did tickle me- men ay ha ha!

Hoping you all have nice Saturdays whatever you're up to

Xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Bonnie, Welcome to the Stars. It's awful how this nasty thing creeps up on you when you least expect it. I was dx in July, a week after my birthday. What a wonderful pressie!! Like you I was feeling on top form and in actual fact still do. Apart from the fact that I have Damion nestling in my boob there is nothing wrong with me and that's quite a thing to deal with. Plus the fact it's the solution to the problem that's going to make me sick. There's something not quite right here!!
Tracey, my chemo starts on the 3rd too, 1.30pm to be precise. I'll be thinking of you. We have definitely been on the same page today because I have bought my wig too and like you I prefer it to my own. I'm afraid for me it's been an opportunity to do something outrageous, I need to keep spirits up, so I have changed colour and style and might even start wearing it as soon as I have my hair cut tomorrow!
Nikki49

Hi Bonnie, mx not too bad it's the armpit that's giving me trouble, it really getting on my nerves just feels like I'm carrying a house brick under there.
Good evening Tracy, I guess we'll all be watching you closely & picking ur brains as you seem to be up first.
Not sure if you realise but Barbaraella63 has very kindly offered to keep a list of all of us so we can all keep an eye on each other, see who's up for chemo at the same time, whether anyone lives near by etc. if you'd like to be included pm her your details. if you scroll back through the earlier messages you will find one from Barbs with what info she needs .
Bonnie8862

Nikki hope your recovery going well . Bit tough going for double dipping. - my dressing got changed today and what a whiff !!! OMG I'm surprised my husband got into bed at night with me .. Sill all nice smelling now ..

I would like to try the cold cap but until I know the results of my scans I'm not sure i can .. Will check it all out soon enough .. My mum did buy me a silk pillow case , don't you know , to try to help with keeping my hair as they are meant to be good so if nothing else I feel like a princess ..

Hugs to all in this place ..
tracey46

Ohhhhhh how cool im the leader of the gang 🙂 I went for my pre assement yesterday for chemo, I start mine on the 3rd sept .... it all seems good. I am going to try the cold cap see how i get on with it. I have been and got my wig today, ooohhh its so lovely i like it better than my hair haha ..... How is everyone else getting on ? xxx

Nikki49

Hi Bonnie , welcome to the club no one wants to join. I'm similar to you, I had mx on 7th aug and went back on 13th aug for ANC. I am booked in for a ct scan Tuesday & appointment with onc Monday week.
Bonnie8862

Think ill be joining the stars ..
Dx only in July had a mx last week with lymph node clearance level 2. 14/16 affected so have been booked for scans next week before. Onc appointment. Got grade 3 her2positive er/pr negative so herceptin here I come !!
Hate cancer ... last month I was perfectly healthy happy and jogging along with my life not a care in the world then wham .. Am now lop sided and looking at months of treatment that will probably make me feel sh*t ..
Ok rant over now back to trying to act normally ... Am told by BCN that. I will start chemo very soon so assume September all being well. . . Can totally understand why some people struggle after onc appointments it really must bring it all home ..
Just starting to make smoothies with a present my hubby got me .. So will keep popping on to try and keep up with postings but please forgive me I cannot. Read them all .. Looking forward to seeing a list of stars as we get closer ..
Good luck and hugs to everyone found in this place we are not alone
Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry Sam, no suggestions for leaky boobs but I hope everything is ok for you over the weekend and good luck with the onco appointment, they do like to keep us hanging about don't they?
Nikki49

Good afternoon Stars, I've been dipping into some of the other threads & a lot of people are recommending 'bio oil' which is supposed to be good for scars & massage etc. Anyway Boots online have buy one get one free offer at the moment @ £19.99 for 200ml that's a good saving
samjs

Afternoon Stars,

I have just played catch up on all the posts. See some people did night shift last night- i just hate that. Thankfully Diazapam sorts that out when I get them.

We are certainly a large group already. It amazes me and to think there are many more who do not access these forums.

Leaking boob suggestings from helpful males: Dad suggested a plumber yesterday and Oh suggested getting some felt(he's a roofer) however that was cross wires as he thought I was talking about our leaking bay window!!

Saw the consultnat again today(thankfully he didn't suggets either of the above)  and both holes had scabbed over by the time I saw him, and he wasn't too concerned. He did prescribe more antibiotics though due to how long wound had been open and the fact it is bank holiday and they are not open again until Tuesday. He says to just use gauze dressings no sticky dressing as my skin is so sore. He also asked nurse to  fax my referral to oncologist again with a note attached saying I haven't heard any thing yet. He was quite surprised I hadn't seen him. So hopefully this will move things along especially as I was first diagnosed mid April!!!

Take care sparkling stars xxx

rachelr

Hi Barbs,

Just to let you know my details for adding to what is looking like a long list of Stars:

Dx was grade 3 idc 12mm - WLE on 25/07/13 and SNB (no nodes affected).

Chemo will be FEC x 4 then T x 4 and then rads. Ist chemo will be on 29/08/13. Will be trying cold cap.

Being treated at Spire Dunedin in Reading.

Hope this is all you need.

Thanks for organising this Barbs - it is reassuring to see how other people in the same boat are getting on and to, no doubt, compare notes on what seems to inevitable SEs with the chemo.

Rachel

Guest user
Not applicable

Think I might have left it a bit late with chemo starting on the 3rd so I'll probably end up looking at alternatives or I could just be brave and go without eyebrows altogether. Just have to make sure the wig has a long enough fringe! By the way forgot to say welcome to all the new Stars. Hope everyone is having a good day in the best way they can and that we all have a good bank holiday weekend . A decent bit of sunshine to shine on us would be nice wherever we all are. I'm in North Wales and it looks like it's gonna be wet at some point later. pas_the_boss
Guest user
Not applicable

I had eyebrow and top eyeliner done - really pleased with it, but my eyebrows were so fair, it would have needed doing without chemo! It was expensive (you really need someone you trust when they are drawing on your face!) but well worth it, for me. You do need to get it done pre chemo, and it takes a few weeks to heal fully. Good luck
Guest user
Not applicable

I'm with you Barbs. I'm gonna fight this with every ounce of my being. I've got far too much to stick around for and besides which as you can probably tell from my ID I am the boss and this time I really intend to stay in charge. As for your comment, Sarah, about not falling from the sky that's an excellent observation. Might just stay on the diazapam a while longer. Apparently it's not a problem with the chemo either so happy days! Will pm you later Barbs with all my info. In between reading posts on the forum I'm desperately trying to sew a recently knitted cardy together for my Grandaughter and I have a girlie shopping trip with my daughter tihis afternoon. Might even get chance to look at some wigs and perhaps make enquiries about eyebrow tats. Need to order some headgear too. This cancer lark's a real drain on the old finances isn't it? pas_the_boss
Cinderssarah

Barbs - I see a business opportunity if we can find a technical whizz lol. But sadly if there was a glamourize button and an add it on button someone removed it from my computer Woman Sad   Never mind I've decided my odd chest now makes me unique (one huge and looking at the floor, one now smaller and pointing out, one smooth and one with crators and volcanoes - you don't get given a look like that unless you can giggle at it)

Sarah x

Cinderssarah

PTB - I laughed at your naming ceremony too. Hubby and I did the same thing with mine, we called him Clarence and he was an illegal immigrant who was put on a plane with a one way ticket (lumpectomy) on 10th July.  Unfortunately he left some luggage (positive SNB result) but we popped that on a later flight (ANC) on 23rd July and they have now been reunited in that well known least liked destination - The Incinerator Woman Very Happy 

As for coming  down just remember stars stay in the sky they don't fall, odd bit of shooting across the sky allowed only Heart

Sarah x

Barbarella63

Sarah does it have a glamourise button??? Lol I've got lots of unwanted bits!! And a few I'd like back Barbs xx
Cinderssarah

Nikki - its looks easy but boy it took me ages, its sooooooooooo tempremental.  I clicked on browse images and was able to choose from pictures on my computer (I used the laptop - always do in the face of adversity lol).  However for some nothing happened, for others it kept telling me the picture size was too big and then miraculously it uploaded three random pics Woman Frustrated  Once the picture is there it allows you to crop to get rid of any unwanted bits.  There you have it, i won't be changing mine anytime soon lol.  I'll keep my fingers crossed you're able to do it (and snigger at the thought I don't have to go through it again)

Sarah x

Barbarella63

Hi heather!, sorry didn't see you down the list there! Welcome 😀😀😀😀😀 Barbs xxxxx
Barbarella63

Welcome the batman to the club no one wants to be in! Can't believe how fast we are growing gonna be a lot of shining stars......then we'll all be glowing stars when we get radiated lol ! PTB loving the fact you've called your squatter Damion! Didn't have time to name mine as the bailiffs were in and evicted him before I had the chance to get too well aquatinted (thank god!) at least you will be going into chemo battle without any war wounds so you should be in a good position to fight off the nasties! I do feel a little like a Spanish bull that has been jabbed by the horseman to weaken me before the matador comes in for the fight! However unlike the poor bull I'm gonna kickarse and beat this! Onc told me if I have all treatment there is an 85% chance I will still be here in 10 years time! Those are pretty good odds I reckon and this has really made me feel stronger and up for a fight! I am going to live I enjoy life far too much to just give in and fall off this mortal coil! OMG can I fit anymore cheesy cliches in in one post haha.

I have been in touch with PennyCrow and I'm gonna do a list so if you want to be on it everyone please PM me your chemo date if you have one and what treatment you are gonna be having! If you don't know yet but want your name on the list let me know and we we can fill in your details later but we will know how many of us there are and be able to keep track. Would be useful to put on what surgery you have had (if any yet) and what results you have and where your from that way we can see if others are in same boat and if any stars live or are being treated near each other.....so PM meeeeeee 😀 xxxxBarbs

Guest user
Not applicable

As chemo is my first challenge I feel I'm back in limbo land and playing the waiting game again. Luckily (not even sure if that's the right word to use) I don't have long to wait now. Possibly because I haven't had surgery and I have positive scan results my mind isn't working overtime anymore. Not that I'm looking forward to chemo and yes the side effects are impressive aren't they. I'm sure we will all have some delightful stories to share once the Stars start shining but by the seem of it the humour has already crept onto these pages and let's do our best to keep it going. If everything happens to me that could according to the books and leaflets given to me at my onco appointment I'm going to need a good sense of humour! On a more serious note I hope I get the right results from this and that the interloper tucked away in my boob, who incidentally I have called Damion, will pack his bags and clear off! At least then I might just get away with having what's necessary taken away but that's a way off yet. Need to get through chemo first. So come on ladies, virtual hand holding and all that and let's get on with. Oh I'm gonna so come down off this high with an almighty bump. Thank heavens I'm still taking the diazapam! Best wishes to all you Stars. pas_the_boss
Guest user
Not applicable

Will be starting chemo in Sept too methinks but haven't seen oncologist yet, chasing appointments, breast care nurses etc, umpteen calls.

I can understand all the humour & joking that goes on in this forum because I think we really do have to block it out of our minds as much as possible.

It's a brave decision to go through chemo but it's the right one.

Barbarella63

Aw sorry to hear that frenchfancy, I wasn't too happy after my Onc appt especially when I'd read all the lovely books on the side effects. Does make you feel overwhelmed and scared! All perfectly understandable! This is definitely the place to be for reassurance and support! No one knows what you're going through quite like someone who's going through it too! We are all in it together and all gonna go through it together lots of virtual handholding and hugs, with hopefully a few bits of humour thrown in. Tomorrows another day and hopefully you will feel more positive, the chemo is a necessary evil but we aren't going to let it drag us down. Cancer will take a lot but it won't take us! Lots of love to you xxxx Barbs
Nikki49

Re: Evening Stars, has anyone else here had ANC? My armpit is...

Thanks for the info Barb, I'll have to look into the reflexology my armpit is driving me crazy it's worse than the mx! What a brill idea keeping a list, if you wanna have a go Barbs that's fine with me, I'd be hopeless xx
Well off to bed now, goodnight & sweet dreams to all you stars xxx
Barbarella63

Yay Hazey! A fellow BB fan whoop
frenchfancy

Hello ladies. Feeling a little overwhelmed with everything at the moment so won't stay long tonight. Appt with Onc went well yesterday but now have loads of stuff running round in my head! Thought I was handling it all just fine so far and this just seems to have knocked me sideways. Could do with taking a bit of my own advice...stay strong, stay positive, stay me!! Here's hoping!
Barbarella63

Re: Evening Stars, has anyone else here had ANC? My armpit is...

Hi Nikki I had ANC 9 weeks ago with a lumpectomy, sadly didn't get clear margins..so had another one and yup still didn't get blinking clear margins back to theatre for op number 3 and the poor boob had to come off! To be honest they had had most of it already as I am not well blessed in the tit department!! Anyway 9 weeks on my lymph node op site is feeling a lot better. I had to have it drained 3 times in the first 2 weeks but I started having reflexology and they do a lymph drainage on your foot, don't ask me how it works but honestly after that it went! No more lumpy armpit yay! It is still numb and I did think at one point I had cording but thats settled too. When I had the mx I had the drain for a week but it was only discharging 6mls from the beginning and I am convinced it was down to the reflexology, and I am the worlds biggest skeptic! You can get it for free I believe as a cancer patient from one of the hospices, I'm lucky my friend is a reflexologist and she has been sorting me out. You might find it useful! Welcome to all the newbies gosh we are quite big already! I think a list is def in order the Maisie's have one and they keep track of everyone that way which is brill, so I think we will have to steal their idea ( remember Maisie's copying is the sincerest form of flattery!) I don't mind doing it although I'm not the most organised but I'm willing to have a go, unless someone else wants to??? But Big Brother is calling on catchup! VERY glad to hear there is another an in the stars 😀😀 Barbs xxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,
I start chemo on 29th August, but would like to join the September Stars as the August crew are already so far ahead. I had my pre chemo appointment today and it makes it all very real. Half of me wants to get started so I am on my way, and the other half wants to run away!
I am going to try the cold cap - anyone else doing that?
Look forward to getting to know you all
Heather
Nikki49

Cinders trying to change my avatar to photo too, are you using an iPad or computer? I'm using iPad & just cannot fathom how to do it.
Hazey_85

Hi Stars

Wow so many of us now, yes good idea to have chemo list so can keep track and eye on everyone. Seeing my onc next wed so will have a chemo date to add to the list hopefully.
Hope you're all well this evening.

Nikki49- I too had ANC over 3 weeks ago and am still being drained weekly although it has lessened think our bodies may eventually get the message and start absorbing it.

Samjs- sounds like a right palarva with your leaky boob how frustrating hope they sort something tomorrow.

Barbs- I too will be tuning in to celebrity big brother love a bit of trash telly for distraction .

Gotta get on with trying to pick my avatar now, im a bit technically challenged though.

Xxx
Cinderssarah

I've done it 😄 lord knows how I just did - I was in avatars thingy on top of the profile thingy and managed to upload a photo by clicking on browse and swearing a lot 😄

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry Barbarella I could not see my threads and thought I was not doing it right but I am up for the September group having chemo ,not very good with this I-pad lark my O/H treated me and I am still finding my way around anyway Hi to all the September girls. I start 1 st one 28 th August getting my wig tomorrow . Luv Jenny xx
Nikki49

I agree PTB it is rather scary how quickly the numbers are going up
Nikki49

All my posts suddenly appeared - don't I look the t*t (pardon the pun). Thanks Cinders for putting my mind at ease yes patience isnt one of my strong points.
Anyone worked out how many Stars we have?
Guest user
Not applicable

Great news, I'm now a tiger. Definitely more fitting than van man! Confession to make, my son sorted it in the end. He got fed up with me muttering and mumbling under my breath. Can't believe how quickly the numbers are going up here. I know it's comforting to know that we will all be there for one another but on the other hand quite depressing that there are so many of us going through this. Are we going to try and put some kind of Star members list together or has someone already started that. pas_the_boss
Cinderssarah

Sam not a good day for you - are you sure you haven't had your boob replaced with a sieve???? As for the oncologist i've been waiting three weeks for an appointment (easier to get an audience with the Queen I reckon), it finally arrived last yesterday for next Friday - the bonus feature will be the will they/wont they chemo debate will be settled oncce and for all.

Barbs I love the giraffe too but I want a picture (stamping my feet VERY hard on the floor)!!!!!!!

Nicki hearing you loud and clear 🙂 and yes you are being impatient, patience is a virtue honestly.  Its four weeks today since my ANC (carried out two weeks after a lumpectomy and SNB) and Its only really been the last week or so that I feel like its returning to normalish - the swelling has gone (yipee) and the scar is now a flat line which seems to be fading daily.  I actually felt myself spraying deoderant onto it this morning, though its mostly numb togther with the top of my arm.  Hope that puts your mind at ease, any other queries feel free to shout 🙂

Welcome Beam67 to the stars 😄

elma55

Hi everyone, I have a meeting with Onc next week to discuss further treatment but have been told chemo will start sometime in September.  I had MX and ANC on 18 July - 5.5cm tumour with node involvement - Grade 3 IDBC Triple Negative.  Hoping to share this unexpected journey with others and exchange useful tips and advice along the way.  Thanks, Elma

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all, please could I join your club?? I was diagnosed on 26 June, IDC 2.8cm, grade 3. Had lumpectomy on 21 July, lump nodes clear thank goodness, and I will start chemo on 6 Sept, 3 x FEC then 3 x T, plus Herceptin for a year and Tamoxifen for five. I have delayed things as I a teacher and did not want to have my summer ruined! So it is fitting in with the school year now. Needless to say I won't be going in and they have employed a replacement to cover my classes (I am Head of Modern Languages in a large Catholic comprehensive).

To be honest I was an absolute mess when it all kicked off and this site has been a massive help. Everything people have said is true - the waiting is the worst, telling your kids is horrible (my boys are 20 and 16) so it would be good to feel part of the September Stars. I feel very positive and upbeat now, ready to face the horrors of chemo and I am sure being part of this group will help.
Bring it on, we are going to beat it!
Nikki49

Why aren't my post showing?
samjs

I spoke to soon yesterday about the boob not leaking. This morning another hole appeared and it leaked then the old one started leaking too! I do have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow so that's something good at least.

i wonder how many stars there will be..... I hope we do not break the Maisies record that would actually be quite sad- says the competitive one!! xx

Barbarella63

Sam that's rubbish for you! But I'm glad you're gonna be a star toooooo! If its any consolation I saw the Onc over a week ago signed the consent and still haven't had a letter telling me the start date! He said on or before the 4 sept to start so if I don't hear anything by Wednesday I'm gonna call them! It's really unsettling not knowing! I tell you I am finding patience I never knew I had! Get cancer play the waiting game argh xxxBarbs
Barbarella63

Love your giraffe Sarah xx
Barbarella63

I feel I'm more sports car than van man!! Don't think you can upload your photo from an IPad! It keeps saying you have to download Adobe! Thanks for the tips though PTB will try again later to see if I can get my ugly mug back on here! Sam how is your leaky boob/ceiling hope you managed to sort both out! You'll be getting a complex. Anyone on here a Big Brother fan? It's my guilty secret ( one of many crap tv shows I love! I won't be getting chemo brain it's too late already fried by too much rubbish tv hehe) anyway celebrity version tonight and I shall be glued! Love the soaps too but not Emmerdale (sorry Chez and Maisie's!) although I have to confess I have checked out Brenda's road kill! Will def be getting a decent wig now! Someone earlier was asking about wig prescriptions, at my hospital you pay £63.50 they give you a script and you take it to your nominated shop but you only get a limited choice and you can't upgrade your wig and pay the difference. Wig lady I. Off to see tomorrow told me to hold off on the prescription till I'd been incas I didn't like the NHS ones she said the ones that are not included in the NHS choice are not that more expensive than the ones in the choice. Apparently the price li it on NHS is £100 so you've practically bought it with your £63.50. I'm thinking ill have a look tomorrow and if I prefer the others I won't bother paying for prescription and put the money towards a better one! I just know if I don't get one that looks good I won't go out EVER!! Well not until the hair grows back anyway.
samjs

Hi Stars,

When trying to upload an image just drag box over the best part of your picture, don't try to enlarge it as that doesn't work.

I will definitely be a Star with dual membership to the Maisies as i rang  nurse yetserday  and she said they have my referral  but  oncologist hasn't looked ta it yet. Apparently  it is 6 weeks from  results to seeing him, then  chemo starts 10 days later. So I should have 2 more weeks to wait to see him so chemo should start mid September! Not a happy bunny. 

xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Nikki49

Test test 123
I must be doing something wrong I've tried to post 4 times now and nothing is showing - bet this will though Sod's law and all that 🙂
Barbarella63

Haha Chezza loving your maracas