Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in September???

KatePB

Re: Starting chemo in September???

Hi all

FEC1, day13

Went to Headstrong which was good and sound advise given.  I came away with a free very large and a smaller scarf which I did not expect.  Also purchased a hat - although I've plenty of hats not sure they will be ideal for this winter given what may lie ahead.  Well worth the visit and volunteers time.

Elma 55 - good luck for 24th.  My 2nd cycle is on 25th with blood tests, etc previous day.

Naturalgirl - welcome.  sorry to read of your sickness and hope you are feeling a little better with the tablets.

Barbarella63 - hair okay.  I'm trying the cold cap.  Despite being -5 it was not at all bad for the three hours once I'd got used to the cold and my cancer hospital provided towels for my neck, heat blanket and blankets so I was snug.  Hating recommendation of only washing hair once a week using Simple shampoo - managed 5 days so far - and only combing once per day with a wide tooth comb.  I've hidden my brushes as it was a natural re-action to grab one.  Ordered silk pillowcases, as recommended, which arrived today.  Looking to trying them.  Just hoping it is worth it. 

Kraftireader - re cold cap read what I've written above.

Thankfully I've had another reasonable day so hoping the next 7 days prior to cycle 2 will remain good and I can put behind me the very bad first days.  Good luck to all starting tomorrow - hope you do not suffer too many side effects.  Stay positive.  Hugs to all. xx

Nikki49

Welcome back Pots, hope your se's remain minimal.
Avonlady and Seaview good luck tomorrow, don't forget to let us know ur ok when ur able.
Hugs xxx
Pots14

Hi,

am back and feel absolutely fine (so far) Staff really lovely - trouble getting cannula in (but knew I had rubbish veins) - having portacath next week. Woman next to me had cold cap (I'm not - hope I don't regret it) and was freezing despite being wrapped up in blankets - lent her my hot water bottle so that's my tip for the day.

Welcome to all the newbies and will be thinking of all of you up tomorrow and those still in the afterglow!

Pots14

Barbarella63

Pots14 how you doing girl???
Barbarella63

Hawkie sounds like they are gonna give it both barrels and fight it hard which is great! Lisabeth welcome!!! I've added you to our ever growing list, sorry you find yourself in the club but we are a great support to one another. It's a bumpy ride but a good one to do with friends!! If you're on Facebook and want to be added to out private September group send me a message with your real ame and we will sort it! Barbs xxx

NME/DIAG. DATE/TMNT. NUMBER. LOCATION

Rachelr/WLE gde3 ER/PR/HER2- 29/8 FEC-T. #1. Reading
HEvg123/MX/ANC(3/?). 29/8 FEC-T. #1. Kent coast

hg12/no details. 4/9 FEC-T. #1. No details
Katepb/no details. 4/9 ???? #1. No details

Beam67/WLE gde3. 6/9 FEC-T. #1. No details

Bonnie8862/MX/ANC(14/16)gde3HER2+\ER/PR- 12/9 #1 Gatwick

Pots14. WLE gde3 ANC 5/12 17/9. FEc-T #1

Avonlady/WLE gde3 18/9. #2. Notts
Seaview. 18/9. #1

Lulu34/TBNC lung mets. Results 20/9 EC-/Genetipib? #1. Edinburgh
Cinderssarah/WLE/ANC(1/16)gde2ER+ 20/9. #1. Abergavenny
Jo43/WLE/ANC(2/20). 20/9 FEC-T. #2 Bucks
Gold63/MX. 20/9no details. #2 No details
Pips64/WLE ER/PR/HER2- 20/9 FEC. #2. Cheshire

Lisabeth. 23/9. #1

Ally51/no details. 24/9 no details. #2 Solihull
Elma55/MX/ANC(12/15)gde3ER/PR/HER2- 24/9 FEC-T #1 Chichester
Tracey46/no details. 24/9 FEC-T. #2. Hertfordshire
Maseo/WLE/ANC4/18gde1/ER/PR+HER2- 25/9 FEC-T. #2. Coventry

PTB/no details. 25/9 FEC-T. #2 Wrexham
Hawkie. 25/9. #1

Kraftireader. 26/9. #2

Samjs/WLE. 27/9 FEC . #1 Northants
Thebatman/MX/SLN(0/2)gde2ER8-PR3+HER2- 27/9 TC. #2. E. Anglia

Barbarella63/MX ANC(2/16)gde2 ER+PR/HER2- 30/9 FEC-T. #2 Lincoln
Frenchfancy/MX/ANC(8/22)gde3 ER/PR+HER2- 30/9 FEC-T. #2. Chester
Helenr51. MX/ANC 30/9 FEC-T. #1

NIkki49/MX/ANC(0/11)gde3ER/pR/HER2- 1/10 FEC-T. #2. Fareham
Blue-topaz/MX/ANC2/? ER/PR+HER2- 1/10 FEC-T. #2 Wigan

Hazey85/MX/ANC/(24/43)gde3ER/PR/HER2+. 2/10 #2. Warwicks

Naturegirl15. 4/10. #2

Sarahsomething/MX/ANC. ". ". Berkshire

Jinxy12. Kent

Bonellie/MX/ANC(4/7)gde2 ER+|HER2? ". ". Unknown

Austigirl/MX. No other details
elma55

Pots, hope you got on ok today and any se's are minimal, let us know how things are going when you can xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi pas the boss
Finally got my chemo date and it seems as though I will be joining all you lovely September Stars ladies. I have my pre-chemo chat this Friday with first toxic juice on Monday .... Really freaking out now !! I didn't expect to have the date so soon. I thought they would tell me on Friday but had a message left on my mobile which I got whilst driving. Must admit had to pull over to stop shaking. I'm normally a very strong person but this has got me floored !!
Any advice welcome on getting through this and what to expect especially from first cycle. I am due to have 6 cycles of FEC.
Lisa xxx
elma55

All the best for tomorrow Avonlady and Seaview, will be thinking of both of you, let us know how you get on when you can, love and hugs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Kraftireader welcome to the club if you need advice just ask we are all friendly and in the same boat paddling like mad ha ha Jenny xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hawkie welcome to our strange club we are all supporting each other as well as helping cheering friends on bad days it is a bit up and down this journey but nice to have you on board. Jenny xx
hawkie

Oh dear what a trauma. I was supposed to have surgery first but the perjeta is only available prior to surgery and not after......its supposed to work well with herceptin so chemo first. Age (39) and size/grade have pushed me thru I think. Ill do whatever they tell me though as they know best. Surgery hopefully soon after chemo. Thanks for the tips re chemo.......I have quite a shopping list dont I. Emailed BCN re wig as want to get that sorted. My boys want me to get a "Hit Girl" wig from the film Kick Ass......I googled it and am really not sure lol.
Kraftireader

Hi Barbarella and everyone
My hair is still okay, the cold cap must have helped, better do after all the pain and distress it caused me! I have sent you a pm Barbarella re the fb group. I just hope I feel better for next week.
Barbarella63

Gosh Hawkie you got seen to really quickly! That's amazing!!! I was diagnosed at the end of May and only started chemo on 9th September, Lthough I did have a palaver with my ops - two WLE's then an MX!! As regards the list, I found lemon and ginger tea good also lemongrass and ginger cordial, Xylotene for my poor teeth-worth every penny in my book!! Lactulose for the dreaded "bunged up" period during steroids, you definitely don't want poo probs on top of everything else!! A microwaveable snuggle hottie for the bone ache following the blooming white cell booster injections! Get some Seabands if you're scared of being sick I don't have any but I k ow a few that do and swear by them!! A soft toothbrush is also a must!! Oh and get a wig...essential!!! And some scarfs xxxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

FEC1day 14
Hi Superstars
Great big welcome to Kraftireader. Hope the Stars can help you through this the way they help me, with sound advice and brilliant humour, something you will definitely need. x
Hawkie, I am up for my second session on the 25th so you definitely won't be alone. There will be a lot of virtual hand holding going on I assure you.
Hope everyone is ok today and that you haven't got the foul weather that has been lurking over north Wales all day.
Love and hugs to all xxx
Jo_BCC

Hi Hawkie,

Here's the link to the thread 'Top tips to help you through chemo' which is what I think you might be referring to:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-Chemotherapy/m...

If there's anything you need to ask then our helpline team are  also just a free phone call away 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

hawkie

Also meant to say the team at North Tyneside Hospital in Newcastle (and the staff at the Bobby Robson Cancer Care Centre - how odd is it to walk into a nuclear medicine department eh) have been amazing, cant fault how they have been with us so far.  Even though its felt like an eternity its not yet been 2 weeks since diagnosis so I take my hat off to them, they do a fab job!!  

hawkie

Glad Im not alone although the fact any of us are here is pretty crap.  

I was told Ill be getting the Docetaxal one day this time round followed by the herceptin and perjeta a couple of days later incase of allergic reactions but #2 onwards will be altogether if Im OK.  The BCN mentioned comlimentary therapies, Im not into stuff like that normally but may see what they offer.  I clench my teeth when Im stressed and my whole neck and head hurt with that at the minute so maybe its what I need!   Ive only had 1 day sick in 5 years so to be told Im off for the next 6 months plus is rather sureal, work in a school with reception kids mainly so little germ machines, going to be rather bored!!  I have two boys aged 9 and 11 and work full time so my time is never my own so having a bit of "me" time is also rather odd, not quite sure what to do with myself!!  General moping around whilst my stomach does sommersaults with the CT scan hanging over my head seems to be the main thing  at the minute!  

Need to make a shopping list for things Ill be needing, someone posted a huge long list possibly on another forum. Dreading the sickness part, didnt flinch during 4 biopsies last week but Im truly rubbish with vomit, Ive been known to leave a small child standing in a pool of vomit at work whilst I ran to get someone to deal with it and I cant even cope with my own boys vomit so Ill be taking as many anti sickness tablets as I can!  

This forum has been great though, Im sure it will be a lifesaver when it comes to keeping sane 😉

Nikki49

Welcome Kraftireader,
Sorry must of missed you, what with Barbs enormous postings lol
samjs

Hello to kraftireader x

Barbarella63

Might help if I actually posted the right list!!!!Doh

Pips64/WLE ER/PR/HER2- 30/8 FEC. #1. Cheshire

Tracey46/no details. 3/9 FEC-T. #1. Hertfordshire
PTB/no details. 3/9 FEC-T. #2 Wrexham

Seaview. 18/9. #1

Hawkie. 25/9. #1

Kraftireader. 26/9. #2

Naturegirl15. 4/10. #2

Jinxy12. Kent

Barbarella63

Hawkie you are not alone on the 25th Maeso/George will be with you, it's her 2nd so she will be an old hand!!! I didn't get a pre chemo appt I guess every hospital is different. I had to queue up with joe public to get my blood test it was like being at the meat counter at Tescos.take a ticket wait for your number to be called!!! If they offer you any complementary therapies, take them!! I've been having reflexology and its been really great in relaxing me! Good luck with the CT scan tomorrow hope all goes well! I hope Pots14 is doing ok as. Oohing heard from her yet!! Fingers crossed she's doing ok! Here's an updated list

Seaview. 18/9. #1

Hawkie. 25/9. #1

Kraftireader. 26/9. #2

Naturegirl15. 4/10. #2

Jinxy12. Kent

Blue_topaz

My pre appointment was to go over what would happen on dunking day. Went over treatment and side effects. Also had blood test and given wig voucher and free parking permit. Got shown the unit, and they also booked me in for Reika session. Got that this Fri, looking forward to it, although i don't need any help going to sleep, this chemo doing it for me at the mo 🙂 xx
Blue_topaz

Hi Stars
I see we have some new members, welcome aboard ladies. You'll get loads of support here, and on the Facebook site. The other girls are so funny and witty.
I'm still sapped out, just tired all the time, but white blood cell getting low now. Went to hairdressers to get hair cut bit shorter. No hair loss yet, but ready as I'll ever be i suppose. Got wig, hats and scarves, will do some modeling for the Facebook page later. Let you meet Mia lol x Doesn't seem bad trying them on in the house, it the going out in them i'm getting bothered about . X
hawkie

YAY more needles xx
Nikki49

Hi Hawkie, great you've got a dunking date 🙂 the pre appointment will probably be just to show you the unit maybe meet some of the staff & do a blood test x
hawkie

Start date 25th. Pre appointment day before.......what will they do to me then? Still got CT to get thru tomorrow and then mri and ecg thursday.
Nikki49

Thanks Barbs, organised as ever xx
Barbarella63

Updated list

Seaview. 18/9. #1

Kraftireader. 26/9. #2

Naturegirl15. 4/10. #2

Hawkie. No date yet

Jinxy12. Kent

Barbarella63

Krafitreader welcome to the group sorry you find yourself here but rest assured we are a great bunch and the support you get is invaluable. I didn't have the cold cap and one of the reasons was the pain!, think I would have cried too, it was bad enough being there 2 hours without the added extra of the cap!! How's your hair doing? I had my first on 9 September hairs ok at the moment but I know its gonna be gone by day 14 so trying to prepare myself!! Sorry you ended up in hospital I did too couldn't stop throwing up it was horrendous, hopefully won't be repeated when I get done again on the 30th...looking forward to that....NOT!! Have you got Facebook? We've got a really active September group on there which at times is very lighthearted which,I think is essential if we are gonna get through this with,our marbles in tact. If you haven't you may want to consider getting one even if its just for the group and no one else. The link to the group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/Startroopers/ please consider it as its so much more personal. If you go for it just message me your real name so I know you're in the Forum and ill add you xxxBarbs
Barbarella63

Hi Naturegirl15 welcome to the stars, sorry you got sick, your experience sounds very similar to mine!! Lets hope next time is better for us both!! Can't believe your first one was Friday the 13th unlucky for some as they say!!!! You will find loads of support on here the girls are just fab and we manage to have a bit of a laugh along the way which is soooo important when you're going through a rough time!!!! Cancer will take a lot but it simply mustn't take our sense of humour as well!!!! I've added you to the Facebook group too welcome aboard Barbs xxx
Kraftireader

Hi I'm a newbie. Started chemo 5th Sept. Having TCH. Tried the cold cap, the pain was so intense I cried, what a wuss! I persevered with the cap but still not sure if I will use again as I shook the whole two hours wearing it. Felt okay couple of days after but then had upset stomach, few days later a fever developed and had to go into hospital for 3 days for antibiotics. Still got sore throat and feeling frustrated with all this after one lot of treatment.
Guest user
Not applicable

Welcome Naturegirl ! As others have said you will find lots of support here from those going through it too xx

Pots - good luck for today Hun xxxx

Lulu34

Hi naturegirl

We also have a facebook group and im sure barbs will be along to direct you there too.

Sorry you got sick hopefully it will be better next time around xxx
gold63

Welcome to the group

xx

elma55

Hi Naturegirl, welcome aboard! Hope your se's ease off soon. I start chemo next week and note what you say about taking sickness meds, thanks for that. xx

Nikki, I'm with Sam, think dunking is day 1 xx

Bonnie, hope you're ok, let us know when you can xx

Guest user
Not applicable

FEC1Day14
Good morning Stars
Hope everyone has woken up well and ready to fight through another day. Everything still going along ok this end.
Just like to say welcome to Naturegirl. Hope we can all be of some help and support to you while we all travel through chemo land and beyond.
Love and luck to all with appointments and things to do today. xxxx
samjs

Morning stars,

Welcome naturegirl, yes no one wants to here but it's a great place to be. Lots of support and giggles and feel free to rant and moan when you need to, we all do at times.

Nikki I would say the day you are dunked is day 1 but not been dunked myself yet xxx

Nikki49

Morning Stars, how are you all this morning? The weather on the south coast is overcast, think it may rain shortly 😞
I've been trying to work out what Fec Day I'm on, I was dunked on 10th so thought I would be day 7 today.
Due to my pesky seroma I was given antibiotics which had to be started today 17th however it's says on the packet start on day 8 the 17th of September.
So to avoid all confusion can we all agree that the day of dunking is Day 1 and so on.
Hope my fellow stars have a good day, take care x
Nikki49

Fec 1, Day 8
Good morning Naturegirl5, welcome to the group.

Sorry that you have found yourself here but you are in the right place for lots of support & giggles, the girls in this group are hilarious. I am now 8 days from first poisoning and as from yesterday really feel me again.
I luckily was not sick but I did have an allergic reaction to one of the anti sick meds resulting in uncontrollable shaking for 14 hours, one of the ladies in this group has had no side effects at all!
Barbarella63 in our group is keeping a list of us all & when we're all due our next dunking, there is also a very secret Facebook group so if you're interested in either pm her your details. Take Care x
Naturegirl15

Thanks
Lucy_BCC

Hi
Naturegirl
If you can email us at moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk we can change your username for you, please send in your chosen name
Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Naturegirl15

Started chemo on Friday 13th September. Greetings to all who are going through similar.
(anyone know how I can change this number to a more interesting username?since they changed the website I've had a boring number allocated)
Tried the cold cap treatment which was more uncomfortable than the drip feed but bearable.
First night waited perhaps too long before taking evening anti-sickness tablets and as a result was violently sick all through night. Attempted to take further anti sickness tabs but threw these up too.
Now, I make sure I have tabs before I feel queasy. Just seem a bit flushed now around neck and face..
Not working whilst on chemo, bored silly, catching up on all those sorting out jobs. Place should be immaculate soon!
Naturegirl5
samjs

HI Stars,

Welcome aboard Seaview , Hawkie and Helen.

Pots I hope you are ready for tomorrow, go sock it to them girl.x 

Kate I get confused too especially as I am in the maisies too as I thought I was going to start in August, as it is I am not starting until the 27Th so nearly in the October group. But not joining another one.

Hope you lovely stars are shining brightly- sure some may have the dimmer switch on  so it maybe a subtle shine. 

xxx

frenchfancy

Just wanted to wish Pots the very best of luck for tomorrow. Hope you've have a lovely day today and have not been getting too stressed out.

Let us know you're safely out the other side, whenever you feel up to it. We like to keep an eye out for all our Stars xxx
Blue_topaz

Good luck tomorrow Pots, let us know how you get on. Everyone here will help you through it xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck to Pots tomorrow, hope it goes well x
Nikki49

Just popped on quick to say good luck at the bar tomorrow Pots, let us know ur back as soon as ur able as we'll only worry otherwise xx
Barbarella63

Aw Hawkie I'm sure its a great read! Will have to check it out! Just a last minute good luck for tomorrow Pots14 don't know if you're up, but hope everything goes ok for you don't forget to check back in with us when you can xxxxx
hawkie

If anybody is interested I can thoroughly recommend the following book, its the story of a friend of mine who, like us all, found herself in this situation almost 2 years ago.  It was written by her husband and was initially an online blog but with the help of a breast cancer charity he published it as a book.  Its an amazing read and has kept me positively sane these past 2 weeks since diagnosis.  It may also be of interest to OH's who may not know where to turn.  Its a truthful yet humerous story that will make you laugh and cry (just to warn you) but I have found it invaluable!  Hope some of you do to x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Chocolate-Brownie-Dave-Courteen/dp/1468577751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

Barbarella63

Still got 2 outstanding requests for Facebook....let me know who you are and ill add you xxxxx