1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo in September???

hawkie

Re: Starting chemo in September???

Oh dear what a drama, its amazing to realise how much infection our bodies fight without us even knowing!  Hope you have a good nights sleep tonight xx

hawkie

Ah Pots are you the one with bad veins, or is that some one else, I remember reading that about someone and got excited today when I was told I had beautiful veins, odd how Im now getting excited about news like that and odd that the nurse seemed excited to.  Yes delighted about CT scan but as a result Ive hit a brick wall today and have practically collapsed with exhaustion, also cried heaps today particualry when I told one of my good friends my news but strangely I feel better for crying, not actually done much of that which is most unlike me, Im usually a right cry baby.  I hope you get the CT scan sorted, good that they said they didnt see anything nasty but I can understand the need to have that confirmed, in all of this the waiting is dreadful, so stressful!  

Jenny I went to Nottingham Trent, loved it, fab city and we still pop down for a visit once in a while!  

Im quite worried about the bordum kicking in, with working full time and then some, plus 2  kids and a house Im always doing something so finding it hard being off, OH works from home so Im trying not too pester him although Im probably doing his head in, bless him he only had one day when I went back after 6 weeks off but he has been great coming to all my appointments even though he hates needle, the consultant who did my biopsies was more concerned about him that me!  Love the suggestions for keeping the bordum at bay!  

Take care everyone, hope you have a good nights rest!  

J xx

Barbarella63

Hi girls sorry I haven't been on, spent a rather eventful night in hospital!! Had a urine infection rang chemo unit at 4 who rang me back at 5.30 to tell me they were now shut but I was to go to A£E where I would get a blood test and give a sample of the offending pee within 20 mins due to no immunity etc. soooo 2 hours later I'm still sat there, finally got seen infection confirmed panic stations as blood thingys low they put me on a drip in the relatives room and whisked me into the emergency medical ward!! Transferred to chemo ward at midnight then waited 6 hours to get my antibiotics grrrrrrr back home now thank goodness!! Anyway here is an updated list for your perusal

NME/DIAG. DATE/TMNT. NUMBER. LOCATION

Rachelr/WLE gde3 ER/PR/HER2- 29/8 FEC-T. #1. Reading

hg12/no details. 4/9 FEC-T. #1. No details
Katepb/no details. 4/9 ???? #1. No details

Bonnie8862/MX/ANC(14/16)gde3HER2+\ER/PR- 12/9 #1 Gatwick

Pots14. WLE gde3 ANC 5/12 17/9. FEc-T #1

Avonlady/WLE gde3 18/9. #2. Notts
Seaview. 18/9. #1

Lulu34/TBNC lung mets. Results 20/9 EC-/Genetipib? #1. Edinburgh
Cinderssarah/WLE/ANC(1/16)gde2ER+ 20/9. #1. Abergavenny
Jo43/WLE/ANC(2/20). 20/9 FEC-T. #2 Bucks
Gold63/MX. 20/9no details. #2 No details
Pips64/WLE ER/PR/HER2- 20/9 FEC. #2. Cheshire

Lisabeth. 23/9. #1

Ally51/no details. 24/9 no details. #2 Solihull
Elma55/MX/ANC(12/15)gde3ER/PR/HER2- 24/9 FEC-T #1 Chichester
Tracey46/no details. 24/9 FEC-T. #2. Hertfordshire
Maseo/WLE/ANC4/18gde1/ER/PR+HER2- 25/9 FEC-T. #2. Coventry

PTB/no details. 25/9 FEC-T. #2 Wrexham
Hawkie. 25/9. #1
KatePB. 25/9. #2

Kraftireader. 26/9. #2

Samjs/WLE. 27/9 FEC . #1 Northants
Thebatman/MX/SLN(0/2)gde2ER8-PR3+HER2- 27/9 TC. #2. E. Anglia
HEvg123/MX/ANC(3/?). 27/9 FEC-T. #2 Kent coast
Beam67/WLE gde3. 27/9 FEC-T. #2 No details

Barbarella63/MX ANC(2/16)gde2 ER+PR/HER2- 30/9 FEC-T. #2 Lincoln
Frenchfancy/MX/ANC(8/22)gde3 ER/PR+HER2- 30/9 FEC-T. #2. Chester
Helenr51. MX/ANC 30/9 FEC-T. #1

NIkki49/MX/ANC(0/11)gde3ER/pR/HER2- 1/10 FEC-T. #2. Fareham
Blue-topaz/MX/ANC2/? ER/PR+HER2- 1/10 FEC-T. #2 Wigan

Hazey85/MX/ANC/(24/43)gde3ER/PR/HER2+. 2/10 #2. Warwicks

Naturegirl15. 4/10. #2

Sarahsomething/MX/ANC. ". ". Berkshire

Jinxy12. Kent

Bonellie/MX/ANC(4/7)gde2 ER+|HER2? ". ". Unknown

Austigirl/MX. No other details
Nikki49

Good luck to Jo, Anne-Marie, Karen and Sarah at your cocktail party tomorrow. Good luck for your results tomorrow Lulu xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening Stars,
Haven't checked in for a couple of days so not up to speed on all the events so I hope everyone is doing ok.
Everything is fine for me at the moment. My big event was yesterday when I decided the falling out hair was too much to handle so my lovely son attacked it with graders. Today I have ventured out for the first time wearing my wig, successful outing and not too self conscious. It actually doesn't look too bad.
Love and luck to Jo, Anne-Marie, Karen and Sarah for your dunking sessions tomorrow. Lulu, good luck with your results. Love and hugs to everyone. Keep on shining! xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Bored bored bored , not feeling to bad but sluggish day two waiting to see what might occur started wearing a hat around the house nearly bald now,hubby waiting on me hand and foot but that's my job!! Ohhh xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Is that what the T s are. I have to have three of them?

Guest user
Not applicable

I have had mine about three weeks but as yet not brave enough to wear it but the hair has nearly gone to thin to go out without anything on my head now so it is on its stand waiting.xx
Guest user
Not applicable

My granddaughter Hannah is at notts uni in her second year studying English .xx
Pots14

# 1, think this classes as day 3 (but had chemo late so not sure)

have just felt very tired and headachy today (still drinking loads)

Barbs - am just taking odansatron 8mg twice a day  and dexamethasone 2mgs three times a day (for the 3 days, last day is tomorrow) and I've got metaclopramide 10-20mgs as and when I need it. Did take 2 lots metaclop. (full dose - wasn't risking anything!) on 1st day and in middle of night, but since then no problem. Not sure there's a secret, maybe just lucky but onc told me if you get away with the sickness on the first cycle it usually sets the standard.  Here's hoping. Those of you who've suffered - keep a record and discuss it with them at your review and they can tweak things so it's better next time.

Hwkie - sounds tough, but thoughts are with you. Another OH was using his laptop in chemo suite so am sure it'll be fine. Am sure they won't mind if he gives them a call to check it out. Fantastic news about your CT. I'm getting a little worried because mine was unenhanced (couldn't get cannula in) and although didn't see anything nasty have got to have liver checked out - just be nice to know for definite.

Can't remember who's up next - but sending general good vibes your way

Going to watch some rubbish telly now -  family all out till late so it's a bit of company - as are all of you.

Pots

hawkie

Hope everybody is doing OK this morning.

Thanks Lulu, I had heard that about the reactions so keeping my fingers crossed I can behave myself next week!  I must say having been lucky enough to have very little to do with all things medical so far Im totally amazed at how clever it all is!  I had my tonsils out when I was 5 and I was told the best thing after that was to eat lots of ice cream! Things have moved on so much since then as I have rapidly found out these past few weeks, although part of me is still hoping to get some ice cream somewhere along the way 😉

I went for my heart scan this morning to check that out before the herceptin starts and they said unofficially that that looked OK from what they had seen.  When I was there the BCN rang to say my CT scan had come back clear. Left message with OH and Ill be honest I pretty much collapsed when he told me just with sheer relief!  Hopefully the neighbours didnt hear my sobs as I stood blubbing on my doorstep!  So now that is out of the way Im ready for the fight, or as ready as I can be.  Small matter of telling the masses to deal with but Ill be relieved to get it out in the open.  I work at my youngest sons school in the town we live in so as a result I know loads of people as a parent myself as well as a member of staff and havent really wanted to see anyone or be near people, OH has been doing all the school runs and if Ive had to do them Ive sat low down in my car with a cap on and have sent my eldest in to pick the youngest up.  Just wasnt ready to face the world until I had the full picture so now Ive got that I can get out a bit more.  Fabulous support off my family, colleagues and close friends have kept me going and Ive picked up loads of advice from everyone on here so now Im ready to hit this little s**t head on.  Lets do this!!!

Jayne xx

Naturegirl15

Can so relate to this. Having had little time to sit and ponder in my normal working life, now haves oodles of time .
bored bored bored! only so much sorting out you can do isn't there?
Possible time killing activities;
Plan a holiday
Write very early Christmas letters
Decorate a room
Sort and file stuff
Clear out unwanted clothes
Study a free online course
Get creative and make stuff for Christmas presents
Rate stuff on trip advisor
On-line shopping
Take the dog a walk
Write your memoirs
Read all those novels you never had time for
Have you any other suggestions?
Nikki49

Fec 1 Day 10
Happy Thursday, this week is my lack of immune system week so I am keeping myself shut away from everyone, the onc said just be sensible don't shut yourself away but I figure with all this poop I'm going through why take the risk, after all it's only one week in 3 for 6 cycles which, when you think about it, is nothing in the great scheme of things.
BUT I'm soooo bored & it's only Thursday.
Pots, Avonlady, Seaview how you all doing this morning?
Hope you all have a good day my fellow superstars xx
Lulu34

Hawkie

Docetaxel and taxotere is the same drug... Docetaxel is the generic name and taxotere is the brand name.... Its quite common to have reactions in this drug.... I had hallucinations after only a few millilitres had gone in and had to be stopped and have two other infusions to counteract the reaction and then the tax was restarted again on a very slow rate over a number of hours and i had to have my chemo like that for the next 5 cycles too.

Jenny hoping for no SEs this time around.

lisa glad you found a wig your happy with

Take care and look out for the daily mail on friday im meant to be in it in an article about being BRCA+.

Love Lulu xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Glad to hear all ok for you today Jenny. Long may SE remain absent. I
I got a wig today in London. Bit of a trek (6 hour round trip) but it was worth it for peace of mind. Looks better than my own hair !! Lisa x
hawkie

Ah right Jenny I see. Luckily my hospital up here in Newcastle has its own dedicated Oncology ward. Love your part of the world btw, went to uni in Nottingham so know it well. Hope the next week or so is good to you! Jayne xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Well what do you do you get their for your appointment we thought today we were in luck because there were only 3 people waiting but still took ages you cannot blame the nurses as they never stop perhaps they book too many people in.The hospital I have my treatment at does not have a chemo unit so they rent the room and the nurses come from Nottingham 20 miles away to give the treatment the only side effect of that is if youhave any SE I have to go to Nottingham as I did last time.xx jenny
hawkie

Glad you are doing well, Im getting the feeling that patience is going to be needed in abundance!!! How come you had to wait that long?
Guest user
Not applicable

Lisabeth I to have fine hair and the wigs I tried were far to big my hairdresser sent for a petite size for me which fits lot better and felt really secure I have not been able to wear it yet not brave enough but I know what you mean they seem to drown you a bit Tina Turnerish just don't settle for anything you will find something to suit I'm sure.xx jenny
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls been for my second dunking today had to wait again for an hour this time not as bad as 1 st time that was two and half hours not good when your treatment takes two hours such a long time feeling ok at the moment drinking loads of water thanks for asking after me xxxx jenny
hawkie

think Im having that one, is that the same name as Docetaxel? Friend also had a reaction to it too. They sent her home and tried again later that week, think they diluted it and fed it in really slowly, like over 6 hours!! Keeping my fingers crossed Im going to be a good, well behaved patient 😉
Lulu34

Hawkie iv not had herceptin or perjecta but i did have taxotere and took an allerigic reaction to my first one.... I was having it with another drug called carboplatin and went in for my appt at 9am and didnt leave until about 4.30. So was a very long day... I would hope if your getting them all individually that it wouldnt be anywhere near as long.

X
hawkie

Bit worried now as this doesnt appear to be normal practice.  drugs wont take all day to administer but need to wait around 4-5 hours afterwards.  Better stock my kindle up!  Might be a silly question but do the "chemo lounges" allow laptops etc in, OH needs to work if he can (works for himself).  

samjs

Hi Stars,

Blimey Hakie that isn't great. On the plus side if there are no SEs you could have it all in one next time. 

Look at you Pots with just a little nausea- long may it continue only being that.

Been  to the cinema today to see About Time- good film.  xx

Barbarella63

Someone has sent a request to the Facebook group......MSG me with who you are and then ill add you xx
Barbarella63

Aw that sounds a bit pants Hawkie xx
hawkie

Hope everyone is well. CTscan done......bit disconcerting when you get the "I've wet myself" feeling thou! ECG and MRI tomorrow. Chemo now taking 3 full days next week so they can give each drug separately to check for allergic reactions 😞
Barbarella63

No news on Avonlady or Seaview yet!! Hope you're ok girls xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Good for you Pots and as the others have said, drink loads of water...you will be peeing all the time but its worth it as it flushes the drugs through your system. Take the anti-sickness as prescribed even if you don't feel sick as prevention is better than cure. Not a lot to take away the metallic taste but it does disappear after a couple of days.

Onwards & upwards Hun xxx

Barbarella63

Well done Pots sounds like you coped really well! Just don't do what Beam (i think it was her) did and go and paint your fence and overdo it!! Drinking is definitely the key! Don't want any urine infections on top of everything else! What anti sickness tabs did they give you? Here's hoping you continue to do well. Love and hugs Barbs xx
Guest user
Not applicable

FEC1day15
Goodmorning Stars,
Great to hear you are doing ok Pots, hope it continues. I swear by the water too. I drank loads in the first couple of days eventhough on the first day it tasted foul because of metallic mouth! x
Love and best wishes to everyone doing something today that they'd rather not be doing. Just remember its one step closer to the finish line. xxx
Pots14

felt a fraud last night - not too bad at all. Occas wave of nausea, but pop a pill the minute I feel it and am sure the amount of water  how much I'm drinking has helped too (shame the bladder isn't bigger)

Avonlady - thinking of you for number 2

Seaview - hope it all goes well for your first today. You're underway now, get zappinng the the little buggers!

Hugs to all,

Pots

samjs

Glad yourself it first one is under you belt pots.. I hope SEs stay minimal.   welcome Lisa . X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi hevg123
I haven't heard of Trendco but will have a quick google. Tomorrow I'm going to Gali. I have very fine hair too but lots of it and all the ones I've tried so far look all bouffant and I don't feel right in them. I totally get the yeti comment !!
My youngest son is a hairdresser and he's having training in wig care but someone else at the salon is trained and goes regularly to the local hospice to help anyone that needs it and she's offered to come to the house also which is nice.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Pots
Glad it went ok, just remember to rest when you need to and really be gentle with yourself x
Guest user
Not applicable

Lisabeth, are you going to Trendco? I went there and they were really good and had loads to try on. Good luck, hope you find one you really like, there are some great ones out there. Also, don't forget you can get it professionally trimmed - I got mine done at Toni and Guy but you can go online and find local salons whose staff have accessed special training for wig cutting (apparently different technique to hair cutting) and it made all the difference to my wig. I have really fine hair and felt like a yeti in the wig, much better after it had been trimmed
Lulu34

Pots glad it was ok....
Avonlady and Seaview loads of luck for tomorrow....

Cant believe you have all been posting so much in one day.

Im at the lipid clinic tomorrow (high cholesterol) so probably gonna be another case of hunt the vein.

Love n hugs Lxxxx
Blue_topaz

Glad evething went ok Pots, hopefully side effects are minimal. Help is at hand if you need it xx
Blue_topaz

Good luck for tomorrow Seaview and Avonlady , keep us posted, your both going to be fine. You will know doubt have lots of questions to ask afterward, one of our stars will know the answers xx
Cinderssarah

Welcome to the new members and welcome home Pots, glad it went well 

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Pips64. I'm dreading the baldie bit. Going London tomorrow to see about a wig !! Haven't found anything locally remotely suitable
Lisa xx
pips64

Hi Kraftireader
Glad you found your way on, We're not too bad . Hope you're on the mend soon.
Pips64
pips64

Hi Hawkie
Welcome to the group. As for the Kickass wig ..No doubt you could rock it. Purple very cool 🙂
pips64

Hi Lisabeth Sorry you found yourself here, But we're not bad for a bunch of baldies or heading that way 🙂
Barbarella63

Hi pots glad you're back and feeling ok! Always a relief to get the first one out of the way!! Hopefully you will continue to feel reasonable hugs to you Barbs xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks elma55. Good luck for Tuesday and to everyone else preparing for #2 .
Lots of love xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks pas the boss. I have been reading back over previous posts and you all seem so lovely and supportive. Real stars !!
I have sent a Facebook request though so will have a look on there later.
Lisa xx
elma55

Hi Lisabeth, glad you found us!  I'm up on Tuesday for my first cycle of FEC-T (3 of each) so will be close behind you. Most of the Stars have already had their first dunking and will be on hand to answer any questions  (some are starting cycle 2 this week and next).  Feel free to ask away!  

Thanks Kate, I go for bloods on Monday. 

Wishing all Stars a very good night!  xx

Guest user
Not applicable

FEC1day14
Good evening Stars
Hope you have all had the best day possible.
Just like to say welcome to Lisabeth. Good to hear you have your date to start. We are all here to help you through this. The Stars are fantastic and the support they will give will be brilliant. Unfortunately it is difficult for just one of us to give advice on chemo because it affects us all in different ways but if you read back through the postings you will get some idea of what to expect and how it might affect you. There is lots more on Facebook if you decide to join us over there. Love and hugs for your onward journey. Keep strong and shine bright. You're a Star now. x
Welcome back Pots. God to hear you are feeling ok so far. Hope the SE's stay away. Rest up and drink plenty of water. x
Good luck to Avonlady and Seaview for tomorrow. Let us know how you get on. We will only worry if we don't hear from you.
Love and hugs to all the beautiful shining stars. xxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Barbs. xx

Thanks Barbs. xx