cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo on Monday 3 FEC 3 Taxotere

kayh317

Re: Starting chemo on Monday 3 FEC 3 Taxotere

Hi Tina and Janey,

my hair started falling out on day 18 after 1st chemo. Filled several bins of it as it was very long !! Decided to have it shaved which was far less emotional that I thought it would be.

Rarely wear my wig and even go out without a bandana at times.

Hope you both are ok. The SE's can be pretty awful but the support on this thread is great.

Lala - how far through are you ? Glad we can make you laugh it is such a strange time for all of us.

K x

Tina45

Had first fec yesterday, was told cold cap either works or doesn't for some people, there will be hair loss by the end of your first cycle I have been told, but tried the cap anyway. See how we go. Bizarre feeling when defrosting...Hugs to all hope the SE's are holding off...! Hugs, Tinaxx

janey_23

Hi all just had first chemo today decided against cold cap as the advice from the nurses was that it does not really work so being brave and got wig ready ,can anyone tell when hair is lightly to come out ,sitting here waiting for it to drop out today ,think my brain has been zapped as well .hope everyone is coping Jane x

lala

Hi I often read your thread which does makes me laugh sometimes in the right places of course. I had the golf ball feeling all week since 2nd chemo. A couple of days ago started with indigestion visited the Gp prescribed omeprazole and hey presto no indigestion and no golf ball!

Van

Golf ball... gob stopper..... yep thats it...

great isnt it....
hope your enjoying the sun... if you can
Van

muffett

Hi sorry I havn´t been around been so bloody tired! Wow the last chemo knocked me, so apologies to everyone!

Sounds like we are all going the the mill a bit again, either emotinally or physically, life can be real sh-- at times...

Tell me has anyone felt like they have swolled a golf ball? It´s not sore, i just feel like i have a massive lump in my lower throat! Weird eh!!!

Eylashes, still a problem for me, goin fast now, does anyone have any tips on putting on false lashes, they keep sticking to my fingers?

Take care all, and whatever your doing I hope you have an enjoyable day xxx

Brad_Pitts_wif

Kay
ask for some eyedrops. my onc prescribed me mine, he said that it would take the irritabilty away completely however it would sooth the eyes.

Glad that you had a lovely day with your daughter having your nails painted. The only one that haas their nails painted in my house is me. Although my youngest who is 2 was found trying to paint his nails the other day!!!!
Love to you all

Louise

kayh317

Luckily didn't end up in hospital today. Onc nurse told me to get some E45 with hydrocortisone and use that as well Voltarol so giving it a go. She doesn't think it is infected but says it is chemical phlebitis caused by the pink poison !! Will need to see oncologist before next session as he may still decide not to give me any more chemo.

Actually had a lovely day. Took my little girl to town and both had our nails painted which was fun. Had lunch out and then a wander round town. It was so nice it being sunny for a change.

A peaceful evening with a couple of glasses of red so feeling quite chilled now though wide awake because of the steroids.

Liz
Definitely get chemo face for a couple of days each time. Eyebrows and eyelashes on their way. The eyelashes are driving me mad and my eyes feel really gritty.

K x

Brad_Pitts_wif

I know what you mean Liz, The longer i waited the more anxious i was, so much so that i had a few tears but some lovely chap was very kind to me and gave me a hug

bizzyizzywizzy

Hi Louise,
Oh God you had a long wait today, i really don't think it is on - all the waiting around - I get a really upset tummy from the stress of waiting - and you sit there and think shall i go to the toilet or will they call me in and then the tummy ache gets worse and worse. I am the same whether i am at the hospital, doctors, dentist or even at interviews, how embarassing can that be.
Hope you have a good nights sleep tonight.

Hope everybody else is feeling ok, i have done two little stints of weeding the garden today - it was so nice to have the sun shining on my bald head, if fact i got quite hot.

Does anybody else get chemo face - i end up with a really red burning face for a couple of days after the chemo, and my eyebrows are now saying goodbye to the face.
Love to all

Liz xxx

Brad_Pitts_wif

Hi Liz, i wil mention to my bcn. Well got back from chemo it was a long day as got there for 11 and did not get started until half 1. left the hosp just after 4 so am tired fromn the travelling on the tube.Anyway hope yours went ok Suzanne and erica
Love to you all

Louise

Van

Hi liz.....

abike ride.... are you sure thats wise.... I would my dog three times a day and it kills me when as before I could go miles....

Please take it easy....

My ex husband doesnt understand either however I do have a great new partner who treats me as if Im wrapped in cotton wool.... worried all the time...

Please dont try and do too much.... you will regret it in the end and recovery will take longer....

take care x
Vanessa

bizzyizzywizzy

Hi Louise,
Good luck today.
You should mention your discharge sooner rather than later - it could just be another weird side effect from this chemo, but it is best to get it checked it will be one less thing on your mind - i know my mind runs away with me with every ache and pain even though they are just normal getting old pains or doing to much gardening pains.
Change the subject - just had another row with OH about his lack of sympathy - his job comes first - felt sick yesterday and really didnt feel like cooking dinner but had too as he wasnt home again. He wants to go and stay over his sisters next weekend - guess who will be doing the packing etc?? he also suggested we all bike round Rutland water. Probably could do it but will probably be absolutely knackered for days after. Sorry for the moan but am trying to be strong for daughters as they are revising for GCSEs and trying to get coursework done and dont want them to see their Mum a gibbering wreck.
Love to all
Liz xx

MURDO2323

Good luck today everybody and hope it all goes well.

Sorry about your vein K that sound like a real pain. Hope it goes ok with you.

Lots of love

Jayne xxx

Brad_Pitts_wif

Sorry that you arre having a hard time with your veins at the mo. Hope that everything gets sorted and that you are not in too much pain. Am glad that you had a civil evening with your ex.

I am with you on that one Erica some fit male chemo nurses would be an added bonus. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm could just see it now!!!!!

Sorry to take you all away from dreams of fit male nurses but have a question to ask. i am having a discharge from my nipple of my good bazooka. I@ don't see my onc for another 3 weeks do you think i should mention it and to who. I am seeing my GP next week to get another sick cert or do you think i should bring it up before then?
WEll am going to try and sleep but for some reson feeling more anxious than the last 2. At least the kids are away so can just come back tomorrow and slob.

Night night

Louise

kayh317

Oh well. Will be back at hospital again tomorrow as vein has already become infected and is hurting like hell. Put it off tonight which was probably a bit daft but ex-OH has been round as it's his birthday and actually had a really good evening together.

Ok girls...heard you all sighing and saying I am mad !! Still not going back there but was good to see him.

Will keep you posted and please keep an eye on your veins !!! Oncologist may well put a stop to my chemo now but that needs to be discussed very seriously before a decision is made.

Hope everyone going through it tomorrow gets on OK

K x

wriggly

Best wishes for tomorrow Louise and Suzanne. Hope your veins co-operate.I seriously think some male fit chemo nurses could make the whole experience much more palitable. Unfortuantely had to turn away from fit consultant whilst he was putting my line in but leered at every opportunity. I think a man in scrubs is like a man in uniform, is it the plastic clogs?
Chest is really sore now but I'm sure it'll soon wear off. I'm not looking forward to feeling crap again, just got back to normal self. Even sore throat has gone. Still we are nearly half way though and that is something to celebrate. Really glad to hear you're doing OK Jayne and Liz, hope it keeps up.
Erica xxx

libby_2010

Jayne glad your 3rd went well sorry to miss you out of earlier post I must suss out how to be able to check back on posts so that I do not miss anyone out. LOL Jackie

libby_2010

Louise Good luck tomorrow.Hope all goes well wth your 3rd. Liz glad to hear you are not so sick sorry to hear you have a vein problem too the chemo really messes with us big time doesn't it.It really is the pits not having internet access I have to use a dongly thingy and it is a bit iffy at best.LOL to all and as sweet dreams as poss. Jackie

Brad_Pitts_wif

Well 1 more sleep until 3rd chemo starting to feel a bit more nervous as last titme finding a vein ws difficult.That is the bit that worries me the most.
Hope tomorrow goes ok for you as well Erica and suzanne.
love

louise

bizzyizzywizzy

Hi Ladies,
Wow, I am glad to be able to get back on the computer, i have had no internet access for a couple of weeks.
Well had 3rd FEC, had to wait around for ages, was getting very tense and tetchy. They had trouble finding a vein then it was very painful, but never mind halfway through this now. Have not been sick this time, so fingers crossed now.
Hope everyone else is ok and keeping fine. So far i am doing well with this chemo lark, managing to carry on much as normal, although not at work, but wishing i was. Hoping to get some more good weather so i can get out in the garden.

Love to everyone, and hope everyone keeps well.

Liz xx

libby_2010

Erica So glad your appt went reasonably well. Sometimes the fear and anticipation is worse than the reality isn't it? Fit consultant indeed, you saucy minx, must have kept your mind off what was happening though.Can I ask a quick question though to all/anyone, sorry nothing to do with Hickman lines. Does body hair go before head hair, or does it vary? Any comments about the interval between these 2 happening? Hope all is well with those who had FEC yesterday and good luck for those tomorrow. My 3rd is next Weds. Re seeing the same Onc I must have been really lucky as so far I have seen the same one, I think he doesn't feel lucky though when I get in there with my '20 questions' LOL and hugs to all Jackie
Forgot to say slept really well last 2 nights with sleepers from GP. She said take one 1/2 hr before bed time but the 1st night I could hardly get up stairs after it and then slept until 9.30am from 10pm. 2nd night was in bed when I took it and slept from 10pmish until 10am and did not wake in the night either. Feel so very much better so will give them a miss to-night as I don't want to becme dependent/

Brad_Pitts_wif

Hi Jayne,

Glad to hear from you and that so far everything is ok.

//love

/louise

MURDO2323

Hi everybody

Glad everything was not too bad Erica hope it continues like that.

3rd FEC yesterday and so far not as bad as the last 2 not nearly as sick thank god i was a wreck before i went in.

Hope you are all well and SE not too bad.

Jayne xxx

Brad_Pitts_wif

Glad that you are ok Erica, So fit Consultantr hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

/louise

annabel02

Glad your back and feeling ok Erica, ive just returned from seeing the onc, different one again! ive only seen the one assigned to me once no wonder there's no continuity!! They have to read your notes from scratch , find that very frustrating! they dont know anything about you!

Anne x

wriggly

Hello all,
Off the operating table and back home in 2 1/2 hours - not bad! Thank you so much for all your best wishes, they mean so much.
Anyway 2 valium and a good friend to take me to the hospital, quite a fit consultant I have to say and hickman line is in and ready to roll.
As usual I have just made a total fuss over nothing much. May change my mind when the local anaesthetic has worn off.I've got no idea how to look after it but I'll worry about that tomorrow when i go for my chemo.
Hope you managed some sleep Jackie - unfortunately Leicester does not have any cheap parking for anyone. Same car park which isn't big enough, same costs whether you are a visitor, broken your leg or having chemo.
Hope everyone is OK today, chemo and SEs not too bad.
Erica xxx

kayh317

Erica,

Hope all goes well and we get to meet up in a couple of weeks.

Karen x

libby_2010

Erica Thinking of you to-day good luck hope all goes really well for you. van how are you ( and everyone else who had chemo Tues) feeling ?Hope you got a reasonably restful night. Or is that a contradiction in terms for all us insomniacs?Love and hugs Jackie

Van

Good luck..... so much luck... keep smiling x
Van

muffett

Thinking of you today Erica, good luck... xxx

SophieThomas

yes, good luck from me too Erica. Thinking of you. Suzanne xx

Brad_Pitts_wif

Good luck for today Erica and having your hickman line will be thinking about you. ((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))).Love to you all

Louise

libby_2010

Hi all just a comment on Wriggly's comment re car parking charges. The chemo suite I attend gives a parking permit and this can be used for all appts free parking. The other hospital I attend provides tokens £1 each for parking, min normally £3.30. Also you might all know this but I have only just found out but we, cancer patients can get free prescriptions. The pharmacist in Boots gave me the form and it needs signing at your surgery. Then you get a credit card sized thingy which lasts for 5 years.And how is this for cheek? I sat next to an elderly man when waiting for my last blood test I was there at 7.50am for an 8.30 opening and he told me he gets up at 6am goes to Hosp and picks up the first few numbered cards for him and his mates and goes back at 8.30am!No wonder we wait an hour.Off to bed now have some sleeping tabs from GP as not slept since Dx last Nov, had one last night bliss. Will use them for 2-3 nights as I don't want to become dependent. Love and hugs to all. Jackie

wriggly

Hi all,
Glad you're on for Thursday Louise, hope your veins hold out Kay. It does get better once all your hair has gone Ann, it just takes a bit of getting used to.
Had blood test today but not seeing onc this round so will have to assume bloods are OK.
Already panicing about having Hickman line in tomorrow. Better open a bottle quick to calm my nerves.
I'm thinking about totalling up how much money I've spent on hospital car parking and number of hours waiting to for appointments in hospital, I'm so fed up with the queues - 1 hour for a blood test!! I think thats where people get their infections from - the sick people in hospitals! Thats where a mask would be useful. Right, stop moaning, off to wine rack xxx

muffett

Hi,
Anne, sorry to hear your not having such a good day "This to shall pass" hang on in there hun, a big cyber hug coming your way and a virtual glass of wine, ((((((((0)))))) xxx

Kay, glad to hear your back, sorry it never went to well, you to should get yourself a glass or two of wine, I always do the day of chemo, just find it helps make me relax... xxx

Louise, glad to hear you can go ahead with chemo, thats a little bit of good news...

Hilary, ivé been doing some research on nail loss, apparantly the nail polish helps strenghten the nails, also they can become discouloured so it cosmetically looks better, the other advice is wear gloves for everything, ie, washing up, gardening etc...

Love to all Teresa xxx

annabel02

Glad to hear your ok after your chemo today K/ im not having a good day, i suppose im just feeling sorry for myself hair coming out all over the place, very tearful this morning.. im having an early glass of wine trying to oliberate everything.. not working though.!

take care all

Anne x

kayh317

Just back from 4th chemo. Must admit I really didn't want to go today and felt very nervous but now its over. Just the SE's to look forward to !!

Was told that the risk of my vein getting infected again is very high and if it does they may not do any more chemo as I am not allowed Hickman line as I have a high risk of blood clots !!! Not sure if I feel relieved I may not have any more or just worried.

Will be rubbing the voltarol cream in regularly in hope that it will help.

Was talking to onc nurse about sore throat and other sore bits !! Apparently the Epicrubin (the pink one) is the one that causes that as it destroys the lining in the throat, stomach and your private bits !!!

Also talked to her about genetic testing as both Mum and I have had breast cancer. She gave me some good advice which I want to pass on just in case it helps anyone. I told her Mary would be tested at 18 and she advised that I don't do that as it would mean big problems with her getting life insurance, mortgages, jobs etc even if it is negative. Her advice is that I get tested rather than Mary and only take the additional step if I am tested positive but even then to go for genetic counselling first.

Well about to tackle the ironing before the SE's kick in.

K x

PS - got no Easter eggs ....... how sad !!

libby_2010

Louise so glad to hear that you can go ahead on Thurs and good news that you were not neutropenic, much as we may dread our chemo sessions the thought of them being delayed, if bloods not OK, is not good either.So take it easy and get some rest.Re the black nail polish what can I say? It definitely is not in my works dress code, but when it comes to the Tax I maybe off work in any case as the SE sound worse in terms of exhaustion ( Which I think is at least as much to do with my insomnia as the chemo)Suzanne I think I too have been really lucky as I felt mostly OK on the FEC ( then I had to ask BCN if FEC not making me ill perhaps it isn't working?)apparently this is not the case but I couldn't help wondering my mind is all over the place at times.Perhaps it will be a different story with Tax.Wish I had some G&B sounds yummy.Love to all Jackie

SophieThomas

Glad you're still on for Thurs Louise. Interesting to hear how you've been told to prepare for the Tax - I'm a bit apprehensive cos I think I've been lucky so far and I've really felt ok on the FEC and wonder how much of a different story it will be with the Taxotere.
Glad the G&B is still coming in useful. Take it easy.

No, I've never had it suggested that you wear a mask either. Sounds a bit overkill to me - and as if it's not enough to get used to going out without hair!

Love to you all. Suzanne x

annabel02

Glad to hear your ok and fit to go for thursday Louise.. Im starting to think this runny nose and sniffles is the blooming cold, thats all i need with chemo at the end of the week! I brushed out a massive amount of hair this morning, going to have to do something soon as its everywhere!!

take care all

Anne x

Hilso

Pleased to hear you've got the go ahead for Thurs. That's strange advice about the old dark nail varnish - but worth a go I guess - bald head and gothic fingernails is a look that might turn a few heads!
Hilary x

Brad_Pitts_wif

Well saw my Onc. this morning and he was happy for my chemo to go ahead on Thurs. My neutophils were really good so have to do the course of antibiotics and ke3ep rested until then. have been given my steroids for my TAx. whch will be end ofApril. The Wednesday before i am going to be buzzing as i have to take 8mg at midday and at 6pm. also been told to paint my nails with a dark colur nail varnish as that may help my nails lifting as it blocks out sunlight.

I was not given any masks to waer in public nor was i barrier nursed last night before they got my bloods.

Well to help me get better am having some G&B icecream to go with my G&B easter egg.
Weather lovely but have been told to stay indoors today

Love 2 uall

Louisexxxx

Hilso

Oh Teresa, a bit of warm sunshine on those aching bones must be lovely I'm very envious -it's sunny here in London but still bloomin cold. Just wondered if anyone in the London area has registered to go the Breast Cancer Care weekend workshop in October? I can't quite decide whether or not to - does anyone know if it's residential (I'm assuming not). All the best for those of you having chemo this week - I've got a week to go til my third so am just about feeling normal again.In fact felt so normal that we had friends over yesterday and I polished off almost a bottle of wine which is a bit annoying as I now just feel hungover!
Hilary x

muffett

Hi glad to see your back with us Louise, take it easy until your next FEC... you don´t want to compromise your immune system.

Weathers gorgeous here this morning, looks like we are in for a hot day... Sorry Anne...

Just wondered with louise not too well with her temp, was anyone else given masks to wear, and if so do you wear them? I was given them to wear in public places, transport, hospital appointments etc.. just curious, not that I have worn mine yet !

xxx

annabel02

Hi all, hope everyone had a lovely easter.
Maz im having 6 fec so a bit diff from you although going through it at same time, will be good to compare as with the rest of the ladies who are that wee bit ahead.
Good to know im not alone with the runny nose/sore throat thing thought i was coming down with a real bad cold, feel a bit better today.
Louise sorry to here your temp was up, hope with the anti-biotics things will improve soon for you.
Teresa its pouring of rain here at the moment, just thnking of you with that lovely weather very jealous

take care all

Anne x

Brad_Pitts_wif

Hello all,

Well temp peaked at 38.1 so did go to A&E. WaS UPGRADED FROM MINORS TO MAJORS and given side room, had bloods and chest X-ray. to cut story short they believe ihad infection but most importantly not neutropenic. had been given oral antibiotics. see my onc tomorrow hopefully can still go ahead with chemo onthurs or if delayed not delayed v' long.

Love 2 u all

Louise

libby_2010

Sorry Kayh I think I got ypu mixed up with Van in my reply. There must be a way of switching between composing message and all the messages you want to answer. Will no doubt suss it out but lost 2 partly written messages trying to do this.Love to all Libby 2010

libby_2010

Hi everyone Louise I hope you have got any treatment required,I am probably repeating whateveryone else has said.Hope you are OK Ladies thanks for letting me muse aloud I have been so uptight about going back for MRI results (which will be after 3rd FEC on 14/4 so no appt yet)and taking/not taking my daughter with me. In the wee small hours The answer came to me. So I have spoken to my daughter and she really would prefer to come with me than be told later. You are right Van we do try to protect our children whatever their age.Your 10yr old sounds lovely.I have continued to work F-T as I am on my own and do not want to use up my paid sick leave too soon. But am now to take 2 weeks off as it has all got too much. And guess what the nausea instantly disappeared so I am sure that the anxiety and stress at work did have an impact.Good luck to all having chemo this week. Love Libby 2010

Van

Louise.... hope youre ok.....

x