72.1K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting chemo on Thursday and teffified!

44 REPLIES 44
Jonamo

Re: Starting chemo on Thursday and teffified!

Great, I am going to get mine next Thursday! Hope the chemo goes well.
A x
Tazzles

Really hope all goes well today Maz, I'm thinking of you.

A, glad to hear you are doing so much better. I actually feel fine too except for having less energy than usual (and the emotional stuff regarding the hair loss). I'm actually quite enjoying hanging around the house and not having to work.

Take care both of you xxx

mazbee

Forgot to say, my boob arrived this morning! It is good! Not a bad day really.

Maz x
Jonamo

Good luck for tomorrow Mazbee. See you in December Angels. Please let us know how you get on. I had my first last Wednesday. It was absolutely fine having it. Was very sick for first 3 days and today 9 days later I really feel fine. Hope you are lucky!
A x
mazbee

Tara, I do sympathise re your hair!   I hope you find it not too difficult to come to terms with.   I went for my pre assessment today and was told I WILL lose my hair in 3 weeks.  I am to have Epi -CMF and the Epi part is what makes hair drop out.  The nurse told me when I start the CMF (in 3 months) my hair will probably start to grow back.  I'm hoping to go to the salon to choose a wig tomorrow morning and my 1st chemo session is at 12 o'clock.  I am ready for it now.  The staff have been great and I couldn't be more prepared, still anxious of course but ready.  I've got my thermometer at the ready and read all the documents in my file twice!  Here goes and good luck to everyone else. 

I think I''l join the December group.

Maz x

Tazzles

Good to hear from you Maz and glad to hear its all going ahead. At least hopefully you'll be feeling normal (ish) for Christmas. Also hope the new booby arrives in time for Christmas!

I've just posted on the November and December threads that my hair has started to come out. I noticed in the bath this morning that it was coming out 'down there' which I thought quite amusing and then had a fiddle with the hair on my head and it was also coming out there. Not amusing. Even though I feel that for the last couple of weeks I've been just sitting waiting for this to happen its still quite a shock when it does. Its only loose hairs at the moment rather than clumps and I'm not brave enough to hack it off yet. I knew it was going to happen but I couldn't help thinking maybe I'll be the exception and it won't happen to me. 

Now you know its all going ahead try to stay calm. It is all so uncertain but that also means that you may sail through it with no problems.

Take care

Tara xx

mazbee

Hello Tara,

Thanks for remembering.  It's been a long day.  We arrived at the hospital at 1pm and didn't leave until 5.30.  After a blood test I went to be fitted with another breast form and bra.  Last time I came away with a new breast but no bra and this time a nice bra but no breast!  Again they didn't have the size I wanted so it will come in the post.  All I want for Christmas is a new breast!  Then the oncology appt and yes I'm on my way.  Thursday I have a pre assessment and I start chemo on Friday (oh help!).    In the waiting room  were lots of people who had been waiting up to 2 hours. (about half of them wearing woolly hats, all I could think was I am joining this club, do I need a woolly hat?)  I couldn't help looking for anyone with a wig as that is my intention. I was  wondering if I could  tell then thinking that is what others looking at me in the new year may be thinking.  This hair thing, or lack of it, is really bugging me.  Still it prevents me from thinking about other side effects too much.  Now I feel like I'm rambling!  Oh dear how will I be, what do I expect .  After Friday my next appt is new years eve. Now I'll calm down and take the good advice on this forum.  It's the unknown that's the worst but not much longer to wait, bring it on!

Glad you're feeling ok Tara.  Seems I am just 2 weeks behind you.

all the best

Maz

Tazzles

Hi Mazbee

I was just wondering how you appointment went today? I hope you are gradually starting to take it all in. I know I was terrified after my first visit having been told the endless list of possible side effects. Remember though you won't get ALL of them. I am now 13 days on from my first chemo session and apart from feeling a bit tired if I try and do too much, I feel fine. 

Take care

Tara 

mazbee

Thanks Jonamo I'll have a look at m&s sometime. I get a free 1st bra from the hospital which is good but because they didn't have my size I haven't tried it properly with my new breast form. Hopefully I'll get fixed up next week. I have my chemo pre assessment (eek!) on Thurs.
Maz x
Jonamo

Hi Mazbee, your story made me chuckle...thanks for sharing.
Also, on the subject of bras, not sure where you are ordering from but M&S do a brilliant range of post operative bras..they fit really nicely and have pockets for your softie or prosthesis and they are not too expensive.
A x
Tracy1967

Mazbee your post has really made me laugh- thank you

Tracy XXX
mazbee

Hi again Tazzles,

Sorry you're feeling rough today, look after yourself. I'm sure it's hard and wish we could say something to help without the usual stock phrases like 'you'll be ok'  etc.  Hope it helps to know others care.

all the very best

Maz x

Tazzles

How are you feeling Jonamo? Hope you are ok. xxx

Tazzles

Thank you Maz. That certainly did make me smile (and I really need it today!). 

Feeling a bit down and daunted by it all - several more months of this to go before I feel 'normal' again and then always the worry that this is going to come back again. I know its not the right way to think but I just can't pluck up my optimisim at times.

I had over 5cm of my right boob taken out leaving one boob quite a bit smaller than the other. I'm still wearing my 34DD's but will have to think about evening myself up at some point! 

Take care and hope you get the bra sorted soon!

Tara xx

mazbee

I'm sure you are right Tazzles, about not good to anticipate certain side effects so am doing my best to go with an open mind.  I expect to find out when I start on Tuesday when I also have appt to try another breast form/bra which brings me to tell you what happened the other day.

I had received my breast form but as my bra size/style wasn't in stock I was told I would receive it in the post.  So I was trying to wear it with my regular bra.  On Mon I decided as it was nice and dry and not windy I would try and sweep up some leaves  so I put on my scarf and fleece, gloves etc and started sweeping, bending and scooping up leaves with my hands and carrying the bin to the compost recycling bin.  I was only doing a bit as I'm still a bit sore round my should/upper arm but thought the exercise would be good.  As always in the garden I went on longer than I meant to and with a rather vigorous sweep was horrified to hear a SPLAT! and there in front of me on the path was my breast form for all to see!  Not that anyone was there but thank goodness I was in the back garden and not the front or even on the pavement!  I did laugh to myself but hurried indoors as if something was after me!  I am now back to my 'softie' until I get the correct bra! (which incidentally has arrived but is not right! I am going back on Tuesday)

Hope this has brought a smile!

Maz

Jonamo

Hi, went fine....just starting to feel a bit weird and nauseous now, so have taken domperidone and hope that sees me through to tomorrow when I take the other anti-sickness drugs.
A x
Tazzles

Hi A. So good to hear from you. I was actually thinking of you yesterday as I remembered it was Picc day. Such good news about the bone and CT scan. That must be a huge relief. 

You are probably home from your first zapping now? I really hope it went well and hope you don't feel too bad. 

Keep us posted. Thinking of you. 

Tara xx

Tazzles

I need to know about the funny thing that happened, Mazbee. You can't leave a girl hanging like that! Get posting and let us all know. I am sure we could all do with a laugh.

With regards to your question about food, I really couldn't face anything for the first two days (either cooking, smelling or eating) but by the afternoon of day 3 that had pretty much passed. I still got the odd feeling of nausea particularly first thing in the morning but it does tend to disappear and I've not taken any anti-sickness pills for a couple of days now. I know everyone is different and some people don't feel sick at all so try not to anticipate it as it may not happen.

Take care

Tara xx

Jonamo

Hi Tazzles, had my PICC line today, all went ok...was quite entertaining watching the scrub in, quite an art! Feels a bit sore tonight but was warned that it would feel like a bad blood test. Also had some great news today as I got my bone and CT scan results today which were clear of cancer, so no further spread, which was a huge relief! So am ready to start chemo tomorrow on a very positive note!
A x
mazbee

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I had a bad day and although I didn't get to sleep till 3am I'm feeling better today.  Thanks for the link Poemsgalore re CMF.  I have found lots of old postings about E-CMF, the newest 2010 as far as I can see but not heard of anyone recently having this?  Hmm?

Polly14 good to hear about your experience calling the Dr, thanks for that. As for pampering myself, good idea!  My hospital has a wig/beauty salon so I might treat myself.  If you knew me you would be surprised cos that is not me at all, beauty salons I mean, as i don't have a lot of confidence usually and I consider my hair my best feature!

Tazzles, you mention not feeling like Christmas food.  How does chemo affect you with regard to cooking? Is it a bit like when pregnant and the thought or smell of it gets to you or is it just eating it?

On a lighter note, a funny thing happened yesterday following getting my new breast form on Friday but maybe that's for another thread?

best wishes

Mazbee

Tazzles

By the way I only just noticed in the 'subject' bar I wrote 'Teffified' instead of 'Terrified'. Chemo-brain setting in already!!

Tazzles

Hi mazbee

It really does take over your life doesn't it? The only time I seem to forget I have cancer is when I'm asleep! I have pretty much written Christmas off for this year as it will be soon after my second session of chemo and if the first one is anything to go by I won't be able to face food - and to me Christmas is all about food. 

If you are unclear about anything to do with your treatment make sure you get the hospital staff to go through it all. When I went for my appointment to look around the chemo ward I was there for nearly two hours as they do try and tell you absolutely everything - try not to get too scared though (as I did) as they have to list ALL the potential side effects but you WON'T get all of them. 

Do try and give yourself some treats before you start the treatment. Also try and get the wig sorted. I did get one but don't like it which set me back hugely - tears and tantrums galore. I may be able to tweak it a bit and at least its winter so I can put a hat on top of it. My uncle has offered to buy me one for Christmas if I really can't get on with mine. I'm takeing pictures of my hair to show the wig person so they can try and match it as near as possible. I'll also cut of a curl when it starts dropping so they can see what it looks like in real life.

Anyway you take good care. I'm really finding this forum very useful. I have joined the Novemember thread but feel a bit of an outsider as I joined so late and everyone seems to have been around for a while. 

Take care and big hugs to all 

Tara xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lots of great advice, support and personal experiences given here...just want to add another dimension to assist one through any of the hard times of such...I went to every chemo session, with the thought of some very special present I would get myself...I wish I had done a lot more of having massages, aromatherapy, relaxation, meditations, etc. etc. whatever is safe to have and makes you feel good...give yourself as many rewards as you can think of (as a Mother would do for her ill child)!  Spoil yourself, you deserve all and everything wonderful that you can possibly give to yourself...there will never be a better time (or excuse) ever!!!!  

Polly14

Hi Mazbe

I'm sure you will feel better after your visit and certainly once you've started. As you say this whole journey is a terrifying rollercoaster and you can feel like an emotional wreck. Like you I was incredibly worried at the prospect of chemo, but just over a week afer my first session, I'm much more relaxed and positive about the whole thing, and just trying to take it a day at a time. Its a gradual process of adjustment, as is dealing with the prospect of hair loss, but as you make plans, sort out your wig etc, it all starts to become less terrifying (by no means easy), and something you begin to feel you can get through.Hang on in there!! x

Polly14

I agree that the fear of infection is the greatest worry - as you say they really instill this into you. I'm making friends aware and avoiding large gatherings of people, but I can't be a recluse for the next 18 weeks! The good thing is that the back-up is excellent. I felt a bit weird on day 8 and called my chemo unit. I didn't have a temperature but they asked me to call out my GP (and not sit in the GP surgery waiting room). I didn't want to bother them, but they came straight out, checked me thoroughly and reassured me that I had done the right thing. I think the message is, if in any doubt, ring the numbers they have given you for advice. Other girls on the forum have had infections and been promptly and successfully treated with antibiotics, so they know what to do if you get one. take care x

poemsgalore

Hi mazbee,

They will probably give you your start date at the chemo ward visit.

The following link takes you to a page where you can download a booklet about CMF chemotherapy:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/cmf-chemotherapy-bcc95

Sorry it doesn't include the 'E' part, which is probably epirubicin. If I'm right, this will make your wee red for a day or two, so drink plenty of water to flush your system.

All the best

poemsgalore xx

mazbee

Hi This is my 2nd post. I have an appt on 10th at chemo ward which I think is just took look round. I'm not sure when I'll start but am getting v nervous and can't think of much else at the moment. I'm wondering how it'll all fit in with Christmas and how I'll cope. Also the risk of infection is also bothering me. Reading your posts as you ve just started out is interesting and encouraging. I've decided I don't think I can deal with the cold cap, I have my apply application for my wig ready but can't imagine it all. I have nothing planned this week after 3 visits to hospital last week which was tiring, I know I should m make the most of this week but can't stop thinking about what's to come. I will be having E-CMF is anyone else having this? I haven't seen it mentioned so far?
Very best wishes to you all on this roller coaster journey.
Tazzles

Thanks for your messages Polly and Tracy

Day 5 and a bit nauseous again but it seems to ease off throughout the day now. I will definitely be demanding this Emend stuff. I feel so weak today. I could barely chew my breakfast as even my jaw felt so tired! 

I'm starting to panic a bit about this 'day 7 to 14' risk of infection ie how much should I be protecting myself? The hospital drummed all these real horror stories into me about avoiding infection and getting to A and E at the first sign of a temperature and now i'm feeling a bit paranoid.

I've got no idea how to work Facebook and not sure I've got the energy to learn it at the moment but maybe one day when my energy comes back I'll have a go. 

Big hugs and hope you are all ok xxx

Polly14

Hi Tazzles

Do hope the nausea is settling down and you're feeling a bit better

I'm 49 and was diagnosed with IDCC in September, I had a mx and reconstruction, and was desperately hoping not to need chemotherapy. However once I spoke to the oncologist I realised I just had to place myself in their expert hands and do everything available to get rid of this disease.

I had my first FEC-T on 22ndNov so I'm now on Day 11. Like you I get nasueous really easily and did vomit after the first treatment, however I think I mis-timed my meds, and once I was on track with the tablets it settled to just general queasiness. There are plenty of meds to control the side effects now though. The most important think is to keep drinking loads of water - aim for 2litres the day before your chemo, on the day and for the the few days after. In fact, I think keeping well hydrated and eatings lotss of fruit/ veg has helped keep me regualr too!

The hair loss is really hard to come to terms with. I didn't opt for the cold cap (like you I hate being cold), i also felt that the anxiety of trying to hang onto  my hair might be far worse. I've got a nice wig lined up and various scarves from annabandana. The girls on the 'November Newbies' facebaook page have been inspirational and those a few weeks ahead of me have given so me so much encouragement about dealing with this. Not easy, but not for ever!

Take care

xxx

Tracy1967

Hi A,

Like Tara I've been suffering with nausea and sickness over the past few days, cold cap was doable. When you see your oncologist ask for Emend, apparently it's one of the best sickness drugs however they don't usually offer this unless you need it. Boy I need it and my oncologist will know about it!

Take care and good luck with the picc.

Love to you all

Tracy XXX
Tazzles

Hi A

Good luck with the Picc line on Tuesday. Mine has finally settled and just left me with bruising all down my arm (apparently very unusual so don't worry I'm sure it won't happen to you!). Also hope the chemo goes ok.

Take care and big hugs

Tara xx

Tazzles

Hi Janette

I don't think I've responded to your message from last week - I seem to have been so up and down with this roller coaster journey. The Picc line is settling but I did decide to get it checked as it was still bleeding. It seems I just bruise more than most people which was why I couldn't move the arm. Anyway I'm getting some flexibility back which is good.

Had my first session of chemo on Thursday - a really surreal experience sitting in this ward with everyone else over 80 (I am 48 - certainly not young but compared to the rest ....). The nausea didn't set in for a few hours but when it did it came with a vengeance. I've finally started to feel less sick but today I've been so tired almost to the point I felt I couldn't hold my head up at times. 

I did consider the cold cap but my oncologist doesn't like them and I felt that even if there is the tiniest chance of the chemotherapy drugs not working (which is her concern) I wouldn't risk it. Also as I hate cold and hate hospitals it would probably cause me more stress. I keep pulling at it to see if its coming loose but nothing so far! Maybe its a good thing to have no hair as trying to wash it with on hand (to keep Picc site dry) is proving very difficult.

I'm finding the support from this site so amazing and everytime I see a new message I come over all emotional. 

Thank you so much xxx

Jonamo

Tracy,
Good luck for tomorrow.
A x
Jonamo

Glad it went ok today. Maybe see you on the December Angels 2013 thread....
A x
Tazzles

Thank you everyone for your support and kind messages. I'm back and I've had my first zapping. Feeling ok so far - just a bit spaced out and on edge waiting for any side effects to emerge.

Good luck for you tomorrow Tracy. I really hope all goes well and I'll be thinking of you. I will definitely check out the November and December chemo threads.

Thanks again everyone 

Tazzles xxxx

Tracy1967

Good luck for tomorrow Tazzles, I start my treatment on Friday and share your fears. As mentioned below why don't you join the November Newbies or December angles chemo threads. There's a few of us on the November thread starting chemo this week. Take care. Tracy XXX
Jonamo

Good luck Tazzles for tomorrow. Hope it goes ok.
A x
MonicaB

Hi Tazzles,

I'm glad you posted on the site. I decided to take the plunge and post too after my diagnosis and I'm so glad I did.

I was diagnosed in Aug. Initial tests indicated that the lump was 1.4cm but after the lumpectomy it turned out to be 3cm. I had hoped to avoid chemotherapy, but the oncologist recommended it and after that I'll have radiotherapy and then tamoxifen. I'm also on FECx6 and will have the 4th cycle next week. I didn't have a PICC line but I think I would have if I had to do it again, because it seems to be getting harder to get a vein. Sorry your PICC line is causing problems, I hope it gets sorted soon.

If you feel like it, how about joining the December Angels - I joined the thread for the month I started and it has been invaluable. Everyone on it will be in the same boat and its so helpful to hear how everyone else is getting along.

Everyone has different thoughts on their hair and hair-loss. For whatever reason, I was ok about it and had it buzzed down at at MacMillan centre about 2 weeks after starting chemo (I know it will come back). While I was at the MacMillan centre, I talked to some people there and booked onto a LGFB workshop www.lgfb.co.uk. Its really good if there is one in your area.

I see the doctor at each assessment to go over how each cycle has gone. The doc can adjust the medications to manage the side-effects, so the main thing is to keep them informed. Don't worry, the docs and nurses will be there to see you through this. They'll probably also give you a number that you can use at any time if you have concerns. On top of that all the lovely ladies here will be around for support.

6 cycles of this and then we're on our way!!!

Do you start tomorrow? - good luck with everything and above all be good to yourself and rest when you feel you need to xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi.  Sorry to hear that you are terrified, I was definitely very apprehensive before my chemo started.  I have to say it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting. I have had 4 out of 6 sessions and the effects get a bit worse each time and last a bit longer but if you rest and take your anti sickness medicine it is bearable.  I have been given Emend for anti sickness, I take the first one before leaving home on my chemo day and although I've felt queasy I've not actually been sick.  Regarding hair loss - have you been offered the 'cold cap'?  I was recommended to try it and my lovely chemo nurse (who had tried it herself) said if I could stand it for the first 10 minutes (it is very cold) then it would feel OK and she was right.  It does make the treatment last longer as you have it on for  30 min before the drugs are given, during the drugs and then for 2 hours afterwards. I had my shoulder length hair cut short before my treatment and it has thinned a bit, probably lost about 20 - 30%, but it is not too bad.  If you have the chance I would recommend you try it. Have you had your Picc line checked? I have a power port which I think is similar and it was very tender for about a week after it was fitted but since then its been OK. ......and finally, they have to warn you of all the possible side effects but it doesn't mean you will get all (or even any!) of them. If you read the bumpf in a pack of paracetamol or aspirin there are loads of side effects!  I wish you all the very best, stay strong and join the rest of us who are kicking cancer's a**e!!!!xxx

Tazzles

Thanks for your message A. I wish I had signed up earlier to this forum rather than trying to 'go it alone'. I finally went to the hospital this afternoon to have the Picc line checked after putting it off for days (I HATE hospitals!) and they were shocked at the amount of bruising and inflammation but it doesn't look like its infected so chemo will be going ahead as planned. I had half hoped for a bit of a reprieve but on the other hand just want to get it started.

I am now going to have a nice glass of wine as I hear I will most likely go off it once chemo starts.

Hope all goes ok with your Picc - apparently my reaction was quite unusual. I do tend to bruise easily (although I do think the person who put my line in was a bit of a butcher!)

xxx

Jonamo

Meant to also say that I had 2 tumours, 3 cm and 2cm, so total of 5cm...you are not alone.
A x
Jonamo

Hi Tazzles, I will be starting FEC-T next Wed. We have a December Angels thread going under the monthly threads you could join or there is also a November one that has been running that you may prefer. I hope you PICC line is ok, I get mine put in next Tuesday. Good luck with everything.
A x
Tazzles

Thank you K. That is encouraging about the sickness. I have suffered from travel sickness since being a child and have been told that I am more likely to get nausea and sickness with chemotherapy but it is encouraging to know they do have medication to help with that. I suppose realistically I know I'm not going to get ALL of the side effects but the ones I know I'll get like loosing my hair are really scary. I have quite long black curly hair and in a way it is kind of my identity. I am struggling to come to terms with the change in my identity already ie from being a fit and healthy person to someone with 'cancer'. I still don't think it has really sunk in even after 2 months. I am wondering whether it gets easier once the chemotherapy starts. 

Unfortunately my Picc line is really not as it should be ie getting more and more painful and still bleeding after a week. I have go to the hospital again this afternoon to have it checked. I am hoping it isn't infected as I expect that would mean having to delay the chemo. 

Anyway thanks again for your support.

Tazzles xx

KAM80

Hi Tazzles,

Great name 🙂 Sorry you find yourself here but you've come to the right place for support and advice.

I was diagnosed in September 2012 and underwent chemo first, before surgery and radiotherapy. The word "chemotherapy" made my blood run cold - I had so many negative images in my mind and as the first session drew closer I built it up into this huge ordeal. I remember arriving on the chemo ward and sitting physically trembling - I was afraid of needles, being sick, losing my hair... the list went on and on!

I honestly thought that the second the drip started I would throw up and begin to feel horrendously ill. I sat there throughout the 2 hour treatment, waiting... and waiting. But it didn't happen, all the things I'd feared didn't happen.

The nurse was so lovely and told me that I shouldn't be sick and, if I was, they would change my sickness medication and I wouldn't be again. She was right, I wasn't sick once. Don't get me wrong, chemo isn't a walk in the park, but it was nowhere near as bad as my fears had led me to believe.

I kept a diary everyday throughout chemo - it was a great way of keeping track of why's tablets I'd taken and was also a great reference to look back on after each treatment - i.e. "Day 5 feeling much better".

Sorry I've waffled on quite a lot there, just wanted you to know that chemo really is not as bad as you think it will be.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them if I can.

Take care and good luck with the start oh treatment. Deep breath, you'll be fine 🙂

K xx
Tazzles

Starting chemo on Thursday and teffified!

Hi. Its taken me a while to get the courage to go live on this site. I've never done any kind of internet 'chat line' before so was a bit wary however I've been reading other people's comments and realsied that there are others like me. I am 48 years old and was diagnosed on 7th October with a Grade 3 ductal carcinoma. It was originally thought to be around 2cm with another smaller lump nearby. However on 23rd October I had a lumpectomy which showed that the tumour was actually 47mm ie huge. I don't seem to hear of anyone else having one that big! Fortunately it did not appear to have gone to my lymph glands which at the time was a big relief. However I have now been told by my oncologist that they can't really tell if its spread or not and are going full out to make sure everything is killed off. I am due to start 6 sessions of FEC-T on Thursday and then 3 weeks of radiotherapy to my breast followed by 3 days further under the armpit and then Tamoxifen. I am terrified. I had a Picc line inserted last Thursday and something isn't right. It is very painful and there is blood which I am told is not meant to happen. I have been through every emotion possible since my diagnosis and am now just filled with dread and a huge feeling of a big heavy lead weight in my stomach. I absolutely hate this feeling that any control has been taken away from me. The list of side effects seems to be endless and I keep thinking I'm not going to be able to get through this emotionally. Anyway I could go on forever but won't as I'm not sure this will work (being a complete technophobe!).