Starting on Wednesday

Ive been for my planning session and tad worried that tattoos are tiny and can remember getting one but cant see it now- can find all other 8 though! Starting on Monday and just really wondering what its like on the day, managed the planning but scared im gonna jump when I hear or see something happening.

Also, bad questions but someone said you cant really drink when having it, is this true or is it just spirits, just that I have a (and my first) day out of my county all year planned for the rugby final mid rads and really hoping to still go and maybe if not too painful wear my prosthesis just for the day.
Thanks
x

Hi lisaf.

Started my rads yesterday - first one of 15. Only had 3 tattoos - one either side and one in the middle.

Didn’t find it much different to the planning session but did feel very isolated - the room they use has a door that is about a foot thick and no viewing window. You are monitored by CCTV. I am not sure if this is the same in all hospitals but I would assume that they are all pretty similar. The machine itself just makes a buzzing sound but you can’t see or feel anything. My main problem is that despite the exercises, I am still struggling to hold my arm up for any length of time and get very uncomfortable. Radiologist suggested taking painkillers beforehand. Tried that today and it didn’t seem quite as bad but that may just be wishful thinking!

I don’t know about drinking during the course of the treatment (I was only told to make sure that I keep hydrated) but I must confess that I did ‘stock up’ at the weekend.

Hope everything goes OK next week.

Spongebob x

Thanks, got my dates wrong start tomorrow so close behind you!!! Glad to know similar to planning session, calmed me a bit! I had my Op in March so arm not too bad just aches a bit! hope the painkillers keep working! Will hit the water tomorrow and thanks for the heads up re isolation
x

Hi Lisaf

I think you will find rads are Ok - the thing I found most difficult was the fact that is was everyday !!! Treatment does not hurt and its over very quickly, I am sure you will also find that you see the same faces everyday (patients) and the same nurses so it can be quite a social event. I got talking to quite a few patients and the nurses were lovely, I also didn’t like the isolation but its over very quickly, I had to have three different positions and all in all took about 4 minutes once I was placed in the correct place on the bed - which also caused some humour.

I had a young trainee nurse one day and she was desperatly trying to get me in the right position - I nearly fell off the bed there was lots of laughs - keep your chin up and try and smile

Jackie xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks jackie - soz made me giggle about the bed! I know one of my arms hang over!! Not looking forward to isolation as when had CT scan for planning didnt like that as seemed like forever!! Like you say its the everyday thing! I have to make an hour each way trip and trying to get some work in at same time!!!

Hope you are well
x

Hi Lisaf,

I didn’t realise that it was you from my thread on ovarian cysts - let me know when you get a date for your op (or should that be ooph?).

I know that it is very early days but am already finding the daily travel for the rads to be a bind - 11/2 hours there (rush hour traffic) and about an hour back. If tiredness does kick in, I assume that it will make the travel seem even worse. I did have the option to have rads at another hospital that would have been slightly easier on the travelling time but would have needed to have had another onc - one didn’t outweigh the other so will have to put up with the travelling.

Like Jackie, I am being zapped from 3 different angles. The actual treatment is only taking 3 - 4 mins but the appointment is probably taking about 15 mins in total by the time that you have been ‘positioned’ - I haven’t fallen off the bed yet (but, like I said, its very early days so there is still time!) but they did have to tape the flabby bit of my underarm out of the way.

I hope to get back to work the week after rads finish (just in time for me to book a weeks holiday!) but will need to see how things go - I haven’t broken the news to my boss yet about the other op so will worry about that later.

Hope everything goes OK for tomorrow. Let me know how you get on.

Spongebob x

Sounds fun! My travel about the same as you so might get a lift a few days, also trying to work a few hours when can but if cant wear bra will be a big no no!!!

Work been really good but then they cant complain I have worked through most of my chemo!! The thought of another Oop terrifies me, specsh as no viens left in good arm but hey how!

Good look, and lovely to have a weeks hols - dying to get away as havent been out of the county all year!

Will let you know how I get on with the zapping!!! Good luck
x

Hope the zapping has gone well, you’ll have to let me know what it’s like.

There’s a lovely aromatherapist there on Tuesdays BTW, you never know she might have a space next Tuesday if you can find the time.

Angie

Thanks all went okay, bit itchy and my face was purple when come out but its more the anticipation rather than the event, didnt feel a thing - might have to get another tattoo as one very hard to find, she done it tiny as its an obvious one but hey hey, only another 14 to go!!

yea… how long did it take includign the waiting if you don’t mind me asking… hoping it really is a quick in and out within 20 mins kinda thing unlike chemo which always seems to take forever :frowning:

Today they said took longer as first time want to make totally sure in right place, today was about 20mins but the actual 3 zaps i got took 30secs each so hopefully tomorrow will be in and out including waiting in 20mins!!!

Next stage always scary but with me its the build up rather than the event as was so nervous Id jump but it was just a quiet buzz and the nurses were lovely
xx

Hi
well done Lisa, our pioneer into new territory. The last one was Nicky in the sports car with the top down (car not hers!!) seeing how fast she could go without losing her wig. LOL. Those were the days, haven’t had such a funny run of stories since then and the Dennis. Are they back by the way?
Take care in that fryer
lily x

God, cant believe we used to have such a laugh at such a traumatic time!! Dennis is totally feeble but bits there, lucky ratty covers most of them, hate just having about 3 eyelashes though!!! Take care
x

Hi Lisaf,

How are the rads going? Did you have to have the tattoo redone?

I had my 5th one today and am starting to pink up a little so slapping the cream on 3 or 4 times a day - have already had to ask for another tube! Not too uncomfortable at the moment and still able to wear my boob (thank god).

Yesterday I went to book in at the reception only to be told that they couldn’t find me. Apparently my whole schedule of appointments had disappeared into a black hole (I take it somebody had pushed the wrong button) so had to be redone.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Spongebob x

Getting on okay so far, I got a massive tub of cream, think will last me a year!!! worried my arm is a bit fatter but thing might ave been for a while. havent redone tattoo yet, seem to struggle with it and then find it, so im happy, apart from having to get it out in front of a young bloke, oh and can see my reflection in the light abouve me!!!

Still wearing boob and hopefully will last out as in more of a sulk if cant!!! Read some scary stuff about ovaries so bit worried now!!! you are ahead of me by 2 so keep in touch
xxx

Hi Lisaf!

When I was having my Rad Therapy they let me take my ipod in with me, so long as I held it in the hand which was above my head it was fine! It really helped to make the time pass quickly, always listened to something that would soothe me. Might be worth an ask.

Best of luck with you treatment!

x

thanks, luckily they have some nice music on
xxx

so what kind of music do we get Lisa? I expect I’ll get the same tape :wink:

How you feeling a week in? I’m cramming the “coping with radiotherapy” book into my head… amazing stuff. Did you know the healthy cells recover in 6 hours from the zapping!.. that’s why you get so tired I think, body’s got stuff to do :slight_smile:

I had Joss Stone yesterday, before that I hadnt listened as was too scared! Couldnt find a tatttoo yest so have lovely visible marker and see through plasters so no creaming for me - told me to use nothing atall by the cream they gave me on the affected area - no. 5 today so third of way through!!! They said you can take your own music in but seemed pointless for the amount of time its on!

You are good at reading up, I get too scared to read all that stuff but welcome any tips. trying to drink more water but the wine is still happening which I suppose aint good but we all need our pleasures!!! God amazed that the cells recover that fast, hope the bad ones dont!!! Getting lifts this week as stupid car failed its MOT!

xxx

Hey Lisa.

that’s funny (well not in the ha ha kind of way) dashed around to our local mechanic to sort some problems out before I start too. Do they sense our need for them (cars that is), hope it’s nothing serious or expensive!

The bad cells take weeks to recover so your fine and there’s been no mention of not being allowed wine… or anything for that matter… so different to chemo :slight_smile:

Have a good day and enjoy the chauffer.