71603members
375693posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting radio in Feb 09 - the 2nd Oct FEC party part 2!

avonlea

Re: Starting radio in Feb 09 - the 2nd Oct FEC party part 2!

Good Morning ladies

Hope you are all well.

I just been to my planning session yesterday and will be starting my 18 dorsage on 18th Feb so i will be finishing 13th March if everying goes well!!

The planning room was very cold and there is an air conditioning blowing draft to my naked chest! A very young guy was working there too which makes it all a bit akward - could not believe so many people have seen my breast by far!!

Never had any tatoo before and very against it - but now got 4 little dots. It is not very abvious apart from the one in the central part.

Well.. not sure how i feel to be honest- maybe it is still a bit too early to predict when i could go back to work as normal..

xxx

lizbou

Glad you made it to your rads, Bella. I was worried for you cos of snow forecast in the west. 3 downm, 22 to go and it's getting a bit boring now. Will have to hook up with you, Pheebs, once you start. Managed to get to other hozzy (roding) for blood test after rads yesterday (ready for today's herceptin) and was in the office by 12 - worked till 6.45. Feeling fine - brilliant!

Pheebster

Very informative Bella - thanks very muchly.

I found out today I start rads on the 23rd...have mid-morning slots which is handy as it means I can get out with 4 Legs and go straight to the hozzy for zapping, leaving her in the car outside oncology.

My walks are important to me in the morning, not only to get my energy levels back up but it's the time I clear my head and can escape for a couple of hours.

If all goes according to plan I will go back to work the first week of April...hopefully a whole lot fitter and a little lighter too!

Cat

Thanks for the research and info, Bella, very useful indeed!!

Glad that the zapping went well, hope it continues that way. Roads any better?

BellaLasagne

An update on the travel insurance....

Basically, after hours of reseach on the net and phone, it seems that most companies won't cover us at all if we're undergoing chemo or radio. Once we are 1 month clear of radio and 3 months clear of chemo, the best deal I've found is clubdirect dot com. They've loaded me by just £10 more than without the pre-existing stuff, i.e. £30 instead of £20 (for me and 2 children for a week in Spain!!)

The obvious downside is waiting until we're clear of treatment before booking a holiday, or taking the risk and booking without cancelaation insurance. My parents have paid for the holiday so I'm very lucky in that they've said they'll take the risk, as they didn't want to lose the deal, but thought you all ought to be aware of the implications of committing to a booking.

Having said all this, M&S (online) would cover me now, but the premium is £115.

The 2 companies mentioned above are the only 2 I can find where you can do online quotes for pre-existing medical conditions (all the others ask you to phone them), i.e. mess about with timescales without having to phone anyone. I found it very useful as I could do 'what ifs' with dates etc.

I also spoke to insurepink - they said the same - wait until a month after treatment (radio) has finished as they can't provide any cover until then. Hope this helps.

I had first zapping yesterday - piece of cake, except roads were dodgy due to snow overnight. Otherwise fine.

Love to all, Bella xx

BellaLasagne

Hi all,

My parents have just booked our lovely holiday to Tenerife so I've just been scouring the net for online travel insurance. So far I'veonly had one hit, with M&S, they want £115 for me and 2 children for 8 days. I'm still trying to get onto InsurePink, but I've had 2 refusals, one from Greenbee, because I'm still being treated. InsurePink advise only trying to get insured once a clear month has elapsed after treatment has finished, and 3 months after chemo. This might be why I've been turned down so far.

What this means I suppose, is I'll have to be uninsured until a month before we go. Each insurer gives the option of not being covered for pre-existing medical conditions but you forego the cancellation insurance!

I'll persue this over the next few weeks but will be interested to see how others get on. Ther eis a list of insurers on this site, search in the top search box but most of them need phoning and I don't have time right now..

Hope snow isn't too bad tonight - due 1st rads tomorrow - 3 hr round trip!!

Lalala

First zap done after driving myself to the hospital in the snow. It was very straightforward and over very quickly. I'm lucky I don't have far to go, about 4 miles, but I left early to make sure I got a space in car park so hit all the rush hour. I have to pay for a weekly pass, but at least cheaper than paying each day.

I had a planning CT scan of breast area, apparently they can't diagnose anything from it but they use it to locate bones (which sounds like an x-ray to me but hey). I also had x-rays done as I was on the table for the simulation session ... apparently.

Thanks for advice about insurance. I rested today as felt quite tired this avo - but will endeavour to do something more positive tomorrow.

S x

Eliza

I start on Wednesday and although I managed to get some of my times changes others are more awkward for work - especially as it takes about an hour and a half to get to the hospital. Fingers crossed for better weather for us all so that our traveling goes smoothly. We get to buy discounted parking tokens.

Avonlea, yes isn't it odd how things differ so much from one place to another. The CT scan was just part of my planning session and they seem to do it for all breast/chest rads at my hospital. For other bits of the body they use x-ray.

Eliza xx

avonlea

Hi Ladies

Just heard that i will be having a planning session on Weds. No CT scan 's arranged though and they said they never did so. It is a bit strange..

xx

BellaLasagne

I'm glad you both egt to park OK. At Cheltenham they're building a multi storey as the parking's so limited. As the builders have taken over there's nowhere to park and people queueing for ages to get a space so I've decided to go on the park and ride then walk to the hozzy hoping the mile each way will help me lose some of this wobbly tummy I've gained!

geewhiz

Great Liz, very encouraging! We get a secret code to allow us into a special car park (still have to pay though!). I know every day sounds daunting, but at least the remaining 24 will go quickly.

Agree with you about the weather Bella. Really hope the snow goes soon.

Julie
x

Pheebster

Glad it went well Liz...looks like we will be bumping into each other at some point if they're giving random appts!

BellaLasagne

Hi Liz, glad that you've started off OK.

Yes, I'm due for my first tomorrow but with blizards forecast doubt verty much at the moment whether I'll make it. This weather is a pain at the moment...

Bella xx

lizbou

One down 24 to go. Rads so far definitely not too bad. Lots more shuffing about, then three 1-minute blasts and I'm outta there. They've given me a parking pass that lasts until April - All I have to do now is not lose it, which might be difficult as kimo Brian is still on the scene. Appointment times do jump about a bit though: a couple are mid-afternoon, which will affect me getting a day's work in. Heigh ho. Roll on middle of March.

Shammo, hope your temperature sorts itself out enough for rads. Avonlea, hope you've got your planning appt now. Best wishes for your start of treatment Julie.

Bye for now xx

avonlea

thanks Ladies - have a good week ahead!

xxx

lizbou

Hi Bella. Like you I was having a 'holiday' week before the daily slog of rads starts. Monday and Tuesday was more so than I'd planned - not even able to get the car out. Now I am worrying, as I'm sure you must be, about getting to the hozzy every day for the next five weeks, with the cold weather forecast to last all of February. Hope you're OK and enjoying your weekend

shammo

HI all,

I will be starting rads next week..I have a question that I have low grade fever, though I am being treated for ear infection, but even when i am infection free i check sometimes and i have low grade fever like 37.6,37.7- Is it because of chemotherapy? or is it because of fatigue?

thanks,
Shammo.

Pheebster

CT Scan here too...had x-ray before mx

Eliza

Hi avonlea,

My rads planning was done with a CT scan rather than X-rays and I got the feeling that was the usual.

Eliza xx

avonlea

Hi girls

Hope you are all doing well. I am still waiting for my planning session to be planed!!

May i ask if - wonder if a x ray are normall given before the radios?

One thing about Singapore- when I went the tourist board is promoting Singapore thus all foreign nations were given vouchers for free ' black pepper carb'- it is one of the most famous dishes in Singapore..

They have done it a few times so it might be worthy to check it out at any tourist information centre!! There might be other things on offer for vistors ..

- well have been stuck in my little place for a few months you could understand why i 'd so dream about a exotic holiday!!

xx

BellaLasagne

P.S. (Kimo brian is with me!!) I went to Singapore in 1996 and it was fantastic!

BellaLasagne

Hi Julie, hope you're doing OK?

This was my supposed 'week off' between kimo and rads staring next week, and guess what? We've been snowed in most of the week so I've been entertaining the children (apart from Weds when they actually went to school!), and having a 'lovely' time without any power on Tuesday. So much for a week to myself....

Re, insurance - my Mum's been through all this cr*p with BC and uses Club Direct Insurance and recommends them. I don't have a phone no. but i'm sure if you googel them you'll find them. I'm hoping to go to Tenerife in May so will be interested to hear how you get on!

Bella xx

geewhiz

Hi all,

Had my first rads planning yesterday, just a chat and a guided tour of the radiotherapy suite really. I will get my own gown apparently for the duration of the treatment, the sort with a zip up the front and velcro at the top so that I only have to reveal the one side (although after being through all this, I don't really care!). Apparently they are of a horrible enough floral design to stop people keeping them - who on earth would want to keep a radiotherapy gown?????

Got the luxury next week of absolutely no appointments, so will make the most of it - 2nd planning thursday 19th then start 15 sessions on Friday 20th feb.

All this talk of exotic destinations sounds fab - never been to singapore, but sure it will be great!

Best wishes to all,
julie
x

Lalala

Sounds like insurance is possible then - will start to make enquiries next week. I'm really excited about the prospect of Singapore - will be my first long haul, so a new experience too.

S x

Cat

Not tried to get travel insurance for myself yet but I've heard that Greenbea do it for women who've been through the bc experience. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Pheebster

All I would say re: insurance is stay well away from anything to do with Norwich Union...

I always insure with Sainsburys when we travel but I would enquire with M & S...maybe a bit more pricey but they alway pay out promptly (I have 4 Legs insured with them)

avonlea

Singapore is my favorite city!! Love the food and the shops- people 's really nice as well.

Like Pheebs I love South East Asia countries too - people are so nice , let along the sunshine!!

I am thinking of travelling long haul too after m treatment. Appearantly it is highly recommended to get a travel insurance just in case you fall sick abroad.

I am not sure who is the best insurer but i guess if you give breast care help line a call they might be able to recommend some.

Hope you have a lovely trip!!

xx

Pheebster

Singapore...lovely. Only stopped there briefly on way to Bali but lovely place. Far East is my favourite holiay destination.

Lalala

Hi ladies,

Just taken ages to catch up with your news - has been a while since my first post. My last chemo was on 27th and I am just about beginning to feel 'normal' again. Had my rad simulation session on Wed and am due to start on Mon 9th (same as you Lizbou) - four weeks' worth. They told me no deod too, as well as only aqueous or E45 cream after treatment and simple soap. Said could use baby talc, which I was surprised about. Came home with lots of pen marks too ... (I wish I could go back and see who it was that was moaning about that - this new site is annoying)

geewhiz/Julie - I live in Newcastle-u-Lyme and go to North Staffs for rad. It's not that idyllic in the Potteries Pheebster, but the nearby Peak District is. I'm a southerner by birth but have lived here for 20years now.

I love the pic of Bronwyn Bella. Hi shelaghc - I'm a Shelagh too!

I asked about going on hol and was told to wait 2 or 3 weeks after rad. If all is OK I may go to Singapore to visit a friend, but onc was a bit iffy about long haul. Does anyone know if we will have problems with travel insurance?

Phew - sorry such a long post. Hope you are all feeling well?

Shelagh W

leadie

Hi Ladies, can I join you? Am starting rads on the 24th of Feb. Was dx on the 30th of November, picked up on a routine scan. had a wle, no lymph nodes involved, so no chemo. Started Tamoxifen about 2 weeks ago and have had a few headaches with it, like a PMT head, but comes and goes. I'm 53 and have 3 grown up children. Live in Folkestone and had not long moved in with partner when was dx!! Have had fantastic treatment so far.good old NHS!!!!

Eliza

I'm going to Mount Vernon. Addenbrookes is nearer but that would have meant adding a few more weeks to the waiting time and as I'll have waited at least 11 weeks anyway I just wanted to get on with it.

Eliza xx

BellaLasagne

Liz,

I'm hoping to go to Tenerife in May and I think the advice is to cover up as much as possible / use sunblock on the affected area but I'm happy to take others' opinions. I think there's a delay in the effect of the rads (they're a bit like a microwave and keep 'cooking' after it's stopped) so we obviously need advice on if it's safe to go for it or not?

Bella x

geewhiz

Hi there,

Re going to hot places/going in the sun after rads: I'll be there as soon as I can manage, although keeping out of the sun as far as possible. I live in Oman, and am hoping to go back within a couple of weeks or so of completing my radiotherapy. My oncologist is happy with that timescale (and I can't wait - I left on 1st July last year so it's been a long time!), but living somewhere and holidaying are different, so I guess if you are wanting some sun you would be best to ask for professional advice as to how long to wait first.

Your gown sounds the business! I'm off for a first planning session next Friday, so will be interested to see what transpires for me.

Best wishes, and good luck
Julie

lizbou

Hi everyone. Just got back from my second rads planning appt, and only just remembered to take my enormous gown. It's quite good though, because they just undo the shoulder poppers and expose the bit they need to, so you preserve some dignity (and warmth). My remaining real boob stayed hidden all morning. All ready to go for 9 February. Got the free parking without even having to ask - and 2 more tattoos. Going to try to make next week feel like a holiday before the slog of daily trips to Romford starts.

What does anyone know about going to hot places/going in the sun in the months after rads? We missed our family holiday (Italy) last year because of my dx, and are wondering what/when we can go ahead and book. Though looking at the price of euros, don't know what we might afford.

Cat

Where are you being seen for treatment, Eliza? I'm sure they'll do their best to help make things work for you.

Eliza

Cat, yes I'm hoping they will be able to change it for me - but it will mess up the schedules they've already done so a nuisance for them too. Fingers crossed for when I see them on Tuesday!

Eliza xx

Cat

Pheebs, I'm staying well away from the BioOil, have seen the price and it's pointless for rads too.

Eliza, hi, that seems crazy messing up timings for you. Life is tough enough going through these treatments and experiences without making things so inconvenient for you. I sorted my timings with the radiologists myself, my onc is a nice but incrdibly scatty man who also knows it's best to let me run things to suit me rather than me fit in with him. Just have a word to them about why it's not going to fit with the rest of your life; I'm sure they'll be nice as pie to accommodate your needs.

Pheebster

I was also told to use only Simply Soap to wash, and your aqueous creme should have bp written on the tub. No deodorant or talcs on surgery side.

OH is rubbing his hands together, thinking of all the money he'll be saving on my usual Molton Brown indulgence!

I wouldn't bother with the bio oil Cat...too expensive. Isn't that what people use for stretch marks? Also oil won't absorb and only sit on top of the skin...so unless you are gonna walk around naked all day, it will just rub off on your clothes?

Eliza

Hi Cat,

Apparently I won't get a gown either. There is a chair in the treatment room and you undress and put you stuff on that.

I am spitting mad today as I have just found out that due to the dozy doc ticking the wrong box on her form I have been allocated treatment times at the opposite end of the day from the ones I would like. The suggestion is that when I go to my planning appointment on Tuesday I discuss with the radiographers changing the times. I feel it really shouldn't be down to me and the radiographers to sort out the mess the doc has made, but there ...

Eliza xx

leadie

Thanks for that bella. I've got planning next Thursday then 15 sessions starting 2 weeks after this. Glad to read it's a piece of cake!

avonlea

Thanks Cat!! Hope you are recovering well from the last chemo!!

take care and love

xxx

Cat

Interesting - I was told no deo on the affected side, have to go stinky. Everyone seems to have a hozzy gown apart from me, maybe I should half inch one!

shelaghc

Hi everyone,
Into my 2nd week of rads now. It's going ok but the stressful things are the race from work, let dog out, drive like a lunatic to the hospital, then queue for a parking space. I always arrive quite frazzled. On the positive side, the staff are very friendly and caring - always enquiring how I am and checking my skin. It is quite cold in the room and I have a thin hospital gown to wear whilst waiting. I've been told to use only aqueous cream and aluminium free deodrant.

Pleased to have found the thread again.

BellaLasagne

Bronwyn is very cuddly, as are my other 2 Cerys and Charlotte Church The Welsh Wayward One (Charlotte for short!). They're very sociable and bleat like mad if they see any of us in the house, so daft as brushes. They have gorgous wool, which is lanolin rich, and very thick, which comes off every June and goes for spinning at Brecon Mill. I'll post some piccies of shearing on my FB account.

Cat

Avonlea - I was told to wash with either baby soap or Simple soap - nice and gentle for the skin, not so nice a feeling, methinks. Also, to apply a thin layer of aqueous cream to the rads area twice a day and let it sink in. Although loads of people on here seem to swear by BioOil I haven't used it, it's expensive, and was told by the rads girls that it'd just get in the way of the treatment so to stick to basic gentle and inexpensive products. All the best!

avonlea

Hi ladies
It looks like my progress is a bit behind- still waiting to see when the planning sessions going to be. Was told maybe start radios in mid- feb.

Any tips to prepare the boob?? It seems that there are soem suggestions that to put on some cream or so weeks before?

Any side effects to watch out?

thanks

amdacc

Hi

Had my rads planning on friday, had a ct and got 3 tattoos. One in the center of my chest and one under each arm. I have another planning session on the 16th feb and start the rads on the 17th. Im going to the Beatson in Glasgow, and the staff were really good. I did get a gown to wear to preserve some dignity, but still didnt get to cover existing boob. Cant wait for it to be underway now so I can get it over with.

Angela

Pheebster

I love Bronwyn too.....

had my rads planning today. Lovely warm room, great staff and my own brand new gown to keep throughout treatment (still got to wash it though!)

Had two tattoos but have to go back on 16th for another meeting (same as you Cazz) and I get two more tattoos...4 bleedin' blackheads! Have got a few pen marks on me but was in too much of a rush to get out to wash it off so getting in the bath as soon as I finish this.

I went out and bought all my rads bras and lost them in Romford...I am so mad with myself....dam steroids are to blame!!!

So back tomorrow to buy more...grrrr

Glad we are all back on here - lovely to have the photos and welcome to all the newbies...Potteries sounds very idyllic, I've never heard of it before (you know what us Southerners are like for knowing nowhere outside London!)

Have a nice evening ladies and if anyone finds my bag...please yell!

Cat

I love Bronwyn, she's gorgeous!!

BellaLasagne

Hi everyone,

Had 2nd rads planning on the simulator yesterday. I should have asked why I needed a 2nd one as it seemed to me that just took some measurements (I've had the tats done), had 2 X-rays then I was out within 10 minutes. Feel frustrated with myself that I didn't ask more about what was going on seeing as I have a 3 hr round trip to get there!

I'm havng night sweats at the mo and periods seem to have stopped after kimo. I'm booked to see my lovely GP next week to get my Tamoxifen script but will ask about the other one and the sweats etc. I'm 43 (until next week!) so was pre-menopausal but wondering if the kimo has knocked my hormones over the edge.

Bella xx

P.S. For those not on the kimo site where I introduced Bronwyn in my photo, she's one of my pedigreee Badger Faced Welsh Mountian sheep!