71141members
373782posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting radiotherapy today - anyone else?

19 REPLIES 19
lilacblushes

Re: Starting radiotherapy today - anyone else?

My skin started to go a bit pink in about week 3 - was bright red by week 5 and started to split at the end of week 5 or start of week 6. I am small busted and that helped as I don't have much of a crease under my boobs. I was using the aqueous cream and simple shower gel, no dea, no perfume... no fun!

Mine split along the collar bone a bit and also just at the under-arm sort of where it meets your body (only on this site do we specify certain bits of our armpits!!!!) and it was kept under control very well with the intrasite gel and dressings from the BC Nurse at the rads unit. I was advised to see my practice nurse or GP a week later for more gel and dressings, but the skin was healing very well by then. I did a bit of a snow storm impression with flaky dry skin for about 2-3 weeks but other than a few tanned bits I am back to normal ... still get the stabby pains but I understand that they can go on for months.

Remember to be careful with the acupuncture and not allow them to stick needles into your at risk arm.

BeauBeau

I agree on Lilacbushes: you are becoming a celebrity on this website! if you didn't keep signing in after you've actually finished your treatment, we'd know nothing! It's very generous & much appreciated! And all the others who do the same!

Am now session 9 of 30. So far only stabbing pains (which have not heard anyone else mention: have posted another discussion?!!). Skin fine, when does the drying effect step in? using 99.9% Aloe Vera though they told me to use Aqueous, but thought I'd listen to you guys first and I do like Aloe Vera...The hospital amazing efficient and staff great. We have our own parking too, it's well organised. I must go up soon for my free 4 sessions of alternative therapies (massage, acupuncture). Thanks to everyone who helped get us that in the past!

Good luck to you all doing the same...

BB

lilacblushes

Sorry I missed your post - thanks for your kind comments.

greenpea

lilacblushes, reading your messages always make me feel better (I've read many from other threads). You are always so encouraging and kind. Thankyou for that.
xxx

lilacblushes

The boosters is basically where they give you rads just to the area around your scar - sort of directing the rays to where your tumour was. I think it may be a higher dose of rads - but I might be wrong. My 'normal' sessions took a bit of time cos I was zapped from 4 angles so they had to line up the machine 4 times - the boosters was just one zap and I was out of there in half the time.

I can't compare rads to chemo as I didn't have chemo. Rads are tiring - partly because you have to go in every day and if you have to travel any distance it gets tedius after a while. Your rads unit should advise (or in some case supply) skin care and there will be a BCN at the unit if you need to see one.

greenpea

Thanks lilacblushes.
I've been told it will be 4 weeks of rads and 1 week of boosters whatever they are!
Don't know why but feel just as nervous if not more so than when I was having the chemo. I'm sure it will be fine - just another thing to put up with.

lilacblushes

Good luck when you start your rads greenpea. I'm sure there will be loads of ppl to support you through it. How many sessions are you having or don't you know that yet?

greenpea

Hi everyone.
I have just finished chemo and am about to embark on the rads very soon (I have appointment with onc next week). Just wanted to say thankyou. You have all helped me through the rough times with the chemo and I'm sure you will be there for me if I need you again on the next part of the journey.
Love and best wishes to you all.
xxxxx

lilacblushes

I had 6 weeks of rads which ended 29th April - skin behaved very well with only minor splitting in the last week, although I did resemble a tomato from about week 3. I was told not to shave under that arm during rads and for a few weeks afterwards and then when I did resume shaving that armpit to use an electric razor.

polly53

Hi i had my 5th blast today and feel ok using the aquas cream too, is anyone else shaving under their arm i am using an electric shaver, and it feels ok at the moment

knowles

Had 8th today, only 7 to go......skin ok so far, but I have just remembered something that might be useful.
When ladies have terrible skin problems down below, and drying is a problem, we sometimes (at work) use a hairdryer set on low to dry skin. Now I know this conjures up a comical image, but it may be useful if your breast skin gets very sore under the crease.
Been using nothing but Aloe Vera 99.9% gel on skin, and drinking coke (which I hate ) straight after because it is thought to exchange its phosphoric acid with the radioactive phosphoric acid in the cells.
Well, it cant do any harm and might work! Sorry if I have already said this somewhere else, brain def. hazy these days. Love Zoe x

wattsit

Hi Sarah, It's good to follow your comments on the rads, please keep us up to date- I start mine next Tuesday & its always good to compare how others are doing with symptoms etc.
Good luck & take care. Thelma xx

ForumMember

Hi Mary - Good luck when you get started, and do join us here and let us know how you get on. Sarah x

maryfrod

I am due to start mine on 9th June and my bc nurse has suggested I get one of those small hand held fans to use afterwards to keep skin cool.Worth a try.

Good Luck
Mary
xx

ForumMember

Great that you have the first one done! Lots of centres seem to use aqueous cream, funny how they all vary so much. I've had 5 "blasts" so far, so a sixth of the way there! How many do you have to have? No side effects yet .....! Sarah

ScottishHoosie

I had my first treatment today. I was told only aqueous cream at this time. It is the only cream/lotion that they know has no metal in it whatsoever. If my skin burns badly, they can and will prescribe me something else.

I've also been told not to shave the entire time. And the skin will continue to "get worse" up to two weeks after the treatment stops.

The team have been great and very punctual thus far.

lilacblushes

Glad u had an uneventful 1st zap. fingers crossed that the rest of your sessions are as easy.

ForumMember

Thanks for your message lilacblushes. So pleased for you that you have finished your rads now, and hope your skin settles down completely soon. My first session entirely uneventful. In and out very quickly - not even any music to write about!!

lilacblushes

I'm a fully frazzled rads lady - completed 29 at the end of April. I was given nothing at the start and told the usual about no perfume, scented bath products deo etc... once I started to pink up and dry out I was given aqueous cream and told to apply 3-4 times a day. At session 28 my skin had started to split so I was given intrasite gel and dressings by the nurse at the hospital ... now nearly 2 weeks later I am doing a good snowstorm impression every time I take my bra off but just using the aqueous cream again.

Good luck

ForumMember

Starting radiotherapy today - anyone else?

Hi everyone. Well, after a very welcome four week break following my last chemo, it is day one of 30 rads today. Just wondering whether anyone else will be starting about now and would like to exchange notes! Wondering what anyone else has been given for skincare. At my planning I was given Solugel and told to put it on twice a day, but the package says it should be applied with a dressing on and not allowed to dry out - oh well, not doubt all will be revealed! Good luck everyone. Sarah