cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting radiotherapy

17 REPLIES 17
RichardsonLesley

Re: Starting radiotherapy

At least you got a gown Kate, at the Churchill we got nothing, still all over now.  Yes, people keep telling us were lucky, I really want to say, I wonder how lucky you'd feel if if happened to you?  Hey ho, at least weve got each other on here xx

KatKit

Hi ladies,

Am hopping around pages today.....

Oh I can relate to the comments about being lucky! Even after the clear margins from Lumpectomy and clear lymph people were like oh it's alright then. No it isn't alright! We've all had a massive life change which is always going to be with us along with our anxieties which is why this is a great forum.

I may geg in on the Sept thread as I'll be going until 12th....

Wow you got a special gown! we just change when we go to Barts, just a cotton back fastening one.

I've been using the Dr.Organic's Aloe Gel and take a small pot with me so slap it on straight after treatment and again when I get home.

See you in other threads

Kate x

Anita

Yeah you really have to learn to bite your tongue don't you. A friend of mine seemed to imply - & maybe this is just my sensitivity - that my cancer wasn't as bad as another friend of hers as I'd had a lumpectomy not a mastectomy! X 

RichardsonLesley

Yes Anita, that's what so great about this site.  I've so often seen people saying things on here that I've thought of myself during the sleepless nights and realise im not alone, I'm not being pathetic in being so scared and traumatised.  Always been a tough cookie but this has really knocked the stuffing out of me.  I read a post from one lady in a thread from a few months ago who said if one more person tells her she's lucky she'll flip!  I'm getting to know that feeling.  Big hug from me to you xx

Anita

I was given a tabard sort of gown that I got to take home with me for the 4 weeks which had Velcro fastenings at shoulder so was only uncovered' once I was lying down on the table. I can so identity with you, I finished my rads 7 weeks ago & I'm now treated as if it's all over & it's like I've been through nothing. Inside I have nearly all the same anxieties I had when first diagnosed. I don't really talk to people about it now as I can imagine them thinking 'oh know not that again!' Wishing everyone still going through rads all the best xx

RichardsonLesley

Hi Jackie,  glad planning went ok, that's the first step done with.  Gown?  I never had one, used to strip in a corner of the room and walk over to the machine naked from the waist up, was only once offered a bit of paper to cover up on the walk of shame.

you asked what cream I used.  I used Cetraben which I had used before do knew I was ok with it.  They kept telling me all the way through that my skin held up well.  I did however develop a nasty rash under my boob which the Cetraben seemed to irritate..  Went to doctor on Tuesday and she prescribed cannestan which is helping.  One thing I will mention, I creamed up over boob and near surrounding area, it was only after last session (when full effects come out) I noticed just how large the area that is actually effected is and the scar under my arm is quite burnt, so would recommend that you cream the whole area up to your collarbone, under your arm and down the side - they really should tell you these things!  

It's now 9 days since my last session and apart from under my arm (which would have been fine if I'd creamed it) although I'm a reddish/pink colour I'm not sore and each day feeling brighter.

Good luck, and keep visiting the site.  People keep saying to me, well, it's all over now, you can forget it and get on with you life now, and I feel I just have to say oh yes, I'm fine when I'm still full of anxiety and ups and downs, that's when I come on here, it's been my saviour xx

Jacks63

Hi everyone I went for my planning scan today I was really nervous but I don't know why all pretty straightforward I now have 3 lovely tattoos lol 53 and having my first tattoo !!!and the gown I received well I can't wait to wear that lol. My first session is planned for 1st sept so this nightmare will soon be over and can get back to normal I've forgot what normal is its been soooo long.I will start a new thread September rads so will keep in touch on there thanks for all your support so far take care everyone Jackie x

Jacks63

Hi hope your first session rads went well soon be all over and can get back to normal life again I've forgot what normal is its been that long!!!My planning scan went well all done in less than an hour!! My first session is 1st sept so my nightmare will soon be over thank god. Hope all goes well in your next sessions how many are you having?keep in touch even if only to moan or let off steam take care Jackie x

Jacks63

Hi amylou,planning scan went fine was told to expect app to be 2 hours but I was in and out in less than an hour!!! My little tattoos are lovely lol !!!and the gown well I can't wait to wear that lovely item!!!My first session is on 1st Sept which is really quick I was expecting to wait at least 2 weeks but only have 8 days to wait.last hurdle of this nightmare in sight at last I will let you know how I get on hopefully no horrible side effects. Take care Jackie x

Amylou

hi jacks63, hope your planning CT went ok? i had mine today also, got my little dots and a lovely gown to bring home. what date do you start? my first session is 13th sept. feeling pretty much like you but at least this is the last leg now xx

HeatherC

Hi Jackie, hope all goes well with your planning appointment, it's really ok, nothing too scary. I'm starting my rads today, I'm just glad to be getting on with it at last. Hopefully this will be the last phase of treatment for us. It still all feels a bit unbelievable at times that this has happened to us! Good luck to all. x
Jacks63

Hi Lesley, thanks for your kindness yes friends and family are big help but they don't understand the emotions we are going through its like a roller coaster fine one minute tearful and down the next!!really wish I had joined this site along time ago there is so much help and advise from people who are going through the same.i will be on here all the time now.I am so glad your treatment is over and you aren't feeling too bad are you feeling tired ??what cream did you use?? Hope you continue to improve speak again soon take care Jackie xx

Jacks63

Hi Sue,thanks for your reply,I will be fine it's just fear of the Unknown!!I like to be in control of my life but unfortunately haven't been for last 4 months!!treatments and appointments are endless sometimes just want to hide away and wait for it all to be over!!wish I had joined this site ages ago there is lots of information and seems like lots of friends too who understand how you are feeling.hope your app goes well on Thursday keep in touch as you say we are all fighting this battle together.take care Jackie xx

Jacks63

Hi Kate,thank you so much for your kind words wish I had joined this site along time ago it's so nice to hear from people who are going through the same awful problem as myself,Never want to bother my breast nurse as I know she is so busy,MY partner will be coming with me he has been my rock throughout this nightmare by my side every step of the way I feel sorry for him as he never complains even when I'm at my lowest and just need to moan!!!He took in all the information at the endless appointments because I don't know about you but everything just seemed like a blur,,,Anyway enough rambling I am sure I will be fine it's just like you said it's the Unknown!!I hope your radiotherapy goes well and you don't get too many side effects I will keep track of your progress on here and hopefully speak again to you soon take care Jackie xx

RichardsonLesley

Hi Jacks,

just wanted to to say hello.

Kate has already said it all, but just to add my tuppence worth - I had my op on 8th June, had my rads planning some time mid July and started 29th.  Planning took a while, involved a CT scan and tattooing and a chat with a nurse.  I was rigid with fear the first session but followed advice from others on this site, creamed up, drunk lots of water and was fine.  Finished last Tuesday and am now recovering (sore boob, rash and swollen nipple) but nothing major, in fact the worse thing was the fear of the Unknown.  

My best advice to you is visit this site regularly and join the rads thread for the month of your treatment, the support and friendship you get from others going through the same thing as you is amazing.  Friends and family may love you but only others experiencing the same as you can understand the feelings and emotions you are going through.

big hugs

Lesley xx

Sue255

Hi Jackie. I had lumpectomy and snb on 10th. So glad you've got your planning date. In sure you will be fine. Lots of good advice and reassurance on here. I just want my appt on Thursday over with then just waiting for rads. You're not alone. We're all fighting this battle together. Sleep well, Sue x
KatKit

Hi Jackie

Sorry to hear you had to go back to remove the outer margins and hope you're managing and healing well. I was diagnosed with early BC on 8th June and lumpectomy 23rd June and started radiotherapy last Tuesday, so 5 treatments in.

I was very anxious about it all and posted my fears in the August Rads thread and people on here have been a great help, I've learned a lot in a short space of time, been reassured by others and been able to get my worries off my chest.

It's a lot to try and make sense of but as you say the end is in sight.

At the planning scan, they will talk you through what will happen at that appointment and future radiotherapy appointments. You have a CT scan and they will take measurements that are needed for when you go for the radiotherapy. They do a tiny dot tatoo in the midline of your breast area and on each outside edge where your breast tissue ends....don't worry though as this is a tiny pinprick and doesn't hurt and compared to what you've been through you will be fine. You will hardly see them either! The dots are used as a reference point for the measurements they take and they'll postion you as you will be when you go for your rads.

My experience of the staff doing this job has been nothing but good, they talk through what you can expect and answer any questions or concerns you have. Make a note of anything you want to ask and take your questions along with you, they are prepared for any questions and are there to make you feel as calm and comfortable as possible. I'm sure after you've been this week, you'll feel a lot better. 

They may give you your first appointment date; after my 1st, they gave me a printout of all my appointments which helped me to plan my life! Whether that's doing nothing or saying yes to friends visiting, it helps give a bit of control when everything else seems out of our control. 

They will probably ask you what times you prefer so maybe think about what time of day may work better for you....this may not be a guarantee and depends on your hospital.

They should be able to advise on what creams are good to use and may give you a leaflet with them on,  you can also look at other threads to see what people have found helpful. Some hospitals provide cream though not all of them do or they may not offer, so you can ask this as well. 

You also have your breast care nurse you can ask for advice about anything you're not sure of...or just come back here.

I would say get this stage over with and I'm sure you will feel so much better after Weds. Are you taking anyone with you for support? It helps.

One of the nurses told me early on to take each stage at a time, each of us are unique and treatments are based on our diagnosis and pathology outcome....I didn't take in what she said and though it's not something you want to get used to, getting some knowledge helps you feel like you have some control over all this.

It's a lot to take in and you've been through a lot, be kind to yourself and just come on here with any worries or concerns you have. Also remember the staff are there to get you to a good, healthy place and you are their priority!

I hope that helps and hasn't overwhelmed you, I'm sure others will have some good advice for you as well.

Take care. Kate xx

Jacks63

Starting radiotherapy

hi I am new to this site feeling very stressed and confused!! I was diagnosed with early breast cancer 14 April had wle on 18 May then second op to remove outer margins on 16 June since then been waiting for date to start radiotherapy been a long hard road but know the end is in sight.I have my planning scan on 24 Aug I am feeling very scared I don't know what to expect...any advise please Jackie x