cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statins

8 REPLIES 8
sallyhennypenny

Re: Statins

I have discussed the statins issue with my onc nurse-practitioner, at my review today, and she says the research that was reported was done on animals, no human trials have been done, and the advice of my team is don't start taking statins (unless for other reasons) because they can have side effects.

So, having started this thread, I agree with Tink and Elily and I'm not going to take them.  Thank you to all of you who replied, you have all helped me with that decision.

xxx

Elily

Discussed statins with my Onc. His opinion was only to take them if you need to for non cancer reasons - SEs can significantly reduce quality of life.
kittycat40

I asked my onc today and she says the research was done on non-cancer patients and seemed to work more as a preventative rather than a treatment for existing tumours. I have high cholesterol so thought it may be a possibility but apparently not!

sallyhennypenny

Thanks for the link, Tink (no poem intended) - I was really interested to read it, and I can't see it would do any harm to take statins - what makes you reluctant?   Anyway I'll ask about it at my next review.  

I'm not really a DM reader btw,my mother gets it!  reading hers is my guilty secret. 😉

There does seem to be quite a bit of encouraging news about at the moment.

Hope you stay well, Tricia

Bumpkin

Hi there. Sorry Patricia, but are you aware that you are in the secondaries section? I am very pleased that you have no spread but sadly those of us in this section are not as fortunate. I mention this just in case you are not aware. Bumpkin. X
Tinkerbelle

Hi all,

I read the article too.  The Daily Mail does seem to employ a lot of hyperbole in their reporting but the online comments to this article are interesting.   I would look at The Guardian online for a more balanced view.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/03/statins-could-halve-risk-of-dying-from-cancer-says-ma...

With regards to Statins, it is worth researching before taking.  Personally, I would be reluctant to take them.

Tink x

Patricia11

Hello 

I have grade 3 invasive bc with 18 out of 18 nodes removed were positive for cancer so i the surgeon and myself were very anxious that it was likely to have spread but both my bone and CT scan were clear which was amazing and the bestn gift ever.  I have been taking simvastatin 20mg for at least 5 years and this could be the reason so i am so grateful that i am taking it as any chance at all to make a difference is a blessing.

Tricia  xx

Elily

I'm not on statins, but I do recall that a short while ago, there were draft NHS guidelines which would have meant that they would have been prescribed to virtually all men over 50 and women over 60 because of the higher risk of heart attack for that age group. I shall discuss with my oncologist when I see him, but he will probably tell me not to bother unless I have very high cholestorol levels.

NB this was reported in newspapers generally, so it isn't just one of those typical DM stories!

sallyhennypenny

Statins

Is anybody on statins?  

According to the daily mail on wed 3rd June, statins reduce bc deaths by 40% because they slow the rate at which tumours grow.  Never in my treatment have they been suggested to me but it looks like a no-brainer, and I can't understand why they haven't been prescribed.

I'd be interested to know if any of you have been recommended to take them?

SHP x