Statins

Is anybody on statins?  

According to the daily mail on wed 3rd June, statins reduce bc deaths by 40% because they slow the rate at which tumours grow.  Never in my treatment have they been suggested to me but it looks like a no-brainer, and I can’t understand why they haven’t been prescribed.

I’d be interested to know if any of you have been recommended to take them?

SHP x

I’m not on statins, but I do recall that a short while ago, there were draft NHS guidelines which would have meant that they would have been prescribed to virtually all men over 50 and women over 60 because of the higher risk of heart attack for that age group. I shall discuss with my oncologist when I see him, but he will probably tell me not to bother unless I have very high cholestorol levels.

NB this was reported in newspapers generally, so it isn’t just one of those typical DM stories!

I asked my onc today and she says the research was done on non-cancer patients and seemed to work more as a preventative rather than a treatment for existing tumours. I have high cholesterol so thought it may be a possibility but apparently not!