Staying on same chemo without changing?

I did post on another thread but thought it might be better to start a new discussion.

I’ve had 3 out of 4 of taxotere, originally I was told I would change onto another chemo after the 4.

Now there has been a suggestion I might stay on taxotere for the full 8 chemos. Has anyone had anything like this before with their treatments?

Just looking back on this and see I have no answers. Maybe its pretty unique then, although I see that some ladies have just had FEC and no other type of chemo.

Have a nice day everyone

Hi peacock -

I think it’s posting at the w/e … not many forum users seem to have access to their computers! - in my house it’s because the teenagers are on, so that’s it…

I’ve seen your name on the threads, but I don’t know where you are at with treatments etc. I’m half way through my chemo having had surgery in May. I’m on TAC (taxotere, doxyrubicin & cyclophosphamide) for a grade 3 tumour with node invovement. My treatment plan is to have 6 x TAC.

Taxotere is often used alone with secondaries, and often as a cocktail with primaries. Taxanes are particularly effective with certain cancers (I’m not an onc and I don’t know which!) and have a ‘seek & destroy’ attitude to rogue cells. Maybe your onc has been monitoring your cancer and feels that the response is so good that nothing needs to be added. As you say, it is often used with FEC.

I’d suggest you ask your onc why the plan has changed - we all need that reassurance that the best is being done for us, particulary when we are enduring chemo!

How are you managing the Tax? My potent cocktail blows me away for about 5 days but I’m otherwise doing ok. No hair anywhere except brows and lashes. Finger nails ok, but toe nails lifting. No nerve problems. Incredible fatigue though! And aches & pains …ohhhhh! I have a friend who has finished tax which she had weekly for secondaries last year, and she reassures me that everything returns!! I was hoping that the facial hair was gone forever…

Td x

Hi Td
Yes maybe thats why, computers and teenagers eh!
Ok to let you know : dx 4 June when a simple operation (thats a joke) on breast, it wasn’t thought to be cancer until the surgeon opened me up. Biopsy and diagnosis Aggressive Stage 3, started chemo a week later was told 4 x tax and 4 x something else, then mastectomy, then rads then follow up with drugs if necessary.

Have since found out it is IDC, but as nodes weren’t checked we don’t know whether any were affected. After 3 tax the tumour has shrunk from 8 cms to 4.5. The Onc has felt nodes and says they are ok (but I do know this can’t be a definitive check).

He did say I would have epi after the 4th tax, but now there seems to be a discussion amongst the care team that maybe I will just stay on tax - hence my question.

I basically feel pretty KNAK most of the time, have some energy in the mornings but this seems to wear off. Finger nails ok, toe nails ok, mouth strange, hair situation the same as you. Aches and pains have been a bit easier this time after the 3rd one.

Had my first Herceptin on Friday, and will continue with Herceptin with each chemo (3 weekly), next one being 18 August.

I’m seeing the Onc again on 18th to discuss blood tests (they are doing tumour markers, and tons of others this time) so I will ask then about treatment plan.

Good luck, and will keep you informed.

xx

Hi Peacock!

Your tumour is responding remarkably quickly - hence the decision to keep you on tax I guess. What is IDC? an abbreviation not come across before! I’d guess Invasive Ductal Carcinoma… most cancers are ductal, and your has invaded into the surrounding tissues and possible blood supply too. You are right about the lymph nodes - they cannot tell just by feeling. Ultrasound gives a better idea, and biopsy is also possible under U/s guidance. I had visible thickened cortex of several lymphs on scan but biopsy came back clear. However, when I had my Mx and lymph node clearance I did have involvement. My tumour was also invasive and I had wide spread high grade DCIS too… oh joy!!

When you next go, also remember to ask about chemo post surgery - this seems to vary a lot between oncs.

It’s really good news that the tumour is responding well, and I’m so glad that Herceptin has at last been licenced for primary bc - it increases your ‘cure’ chances well. Do you know your oestrgen & progesterone status??

I’m er & pr negative, HER2 borderline, so it’s unclear as to wether I’ll have herceptin… some ‘junior’ onc gave me my HER2 result by saying ‘the good news is that you don’t need heceptin’ - I’m glad I was on the ball enough to say - ‘so, you think being triple negative is good news do you?’ — he ran off to get my consultant immediately. I think that he learnt something about bc patients that day - you can’t pull the wool over our eyes!

tax & epi are quite different drugs. Their aim is to shrink your tumour (big wasn’t it!) to enable effective surgery with clear margins.

Good luck!!

Td xx

Hi Td, yes you are right IDC is Inv Duc Carcinoma. I did have an ultrasound of the lymph nodes and nothing showed up so I guess my results are pretty good. I don’t think I will be having post op chemo, I think its just rads and Herceptin.

I am HER2 positive, no oestrogen type cancer.

I think to have cancer I am probably one of the luckier ones, in France they seem to offer as much treatment as they possibly can and I am lucky to have been started on Herceptin so early.

As I have calcification of the breast they will still remove the breast just to be on the safe side, I will obviously know more after the op which I am expecting to be about december time - great Chrissie present eh?

Good luck Td and everyone else reading xx