Steroids....grrr

Hi - have had 3 fec and have found the come down from the steroids rotten . day 4 , 5 and sometimes 6 i am a snottery depressed emotional wreck . I am concerned that on tax they are tripling my dose and i start taking them the night before , x4 at night and the same in the am of the chemo , then continue for 5 days . I will be in a corner shaking with the come down from that !!! Also my arse will be the size of a small island as i will prob have to just sit in Tesco at the cake and bread isle to satisfy my aggresive appetite that takes over whilst taking them …

Is this normal on them , i asked lovely Oncologist if i had to take them , he replied you would be a brave woman not to as you would be VERY sick . The thing is my rational brain tells me when i am crying and depressed that its the tablets , but when u feel like that its just so depressing and i cant handle the black thoughts that keep me awake , I NEVER feel like that any other time /.

I would appreciate your experience ladies .

x

Hi Lorna,

I’m just back at my laptop having had a weep all over my husband! (According to my diary I’ve done this every Saturday after chemo! Lucky him!!).

The steroids definitely make me down and weepy when I stop taking them. I didnt’ realise they upped teh steroids for Tax - I thought the sickness was meant to be better with Tax?

I haven’t had bad SEs from the chemo (and realise that that will be down to the anti-sickness and the steroids) but my worst ones are the continuous munchies from the steroids. I feel sick if I don’t eat really naughty stuff! But then feel really guilty as know I should be looking after myself and trying to lose some weight. Good job we don’t libe closer to each other or I’d be fending you out of the cake aisle… (Only kidding Lorna - it would be great - I’d deffo share a battenberg with you!).

Lorna, we are HALFWAY THROUGH though. And then there’ll be no steroids and we can start living off fruit and veg and exercising! (Doesn’t sound as much fun as setting up camp in the cake aisle does it…?!).

x

Hi

Asteroids don’t agree with me either. My first tax was dreadful cos I didn’t sleep for more than 2hrs at at a time for a week and no more than 4 hrs in 24!

Saw my onc and he nearly halved the dose. Last two, I’ve taken 2 tabs evening before, had dex thru iv line at chemo, 4 tabs that night, then 2 x 2 tabs the next day.

My last tax was on tues and i’m just starting to sleep better. And yes, I do become a blubbering wreck at the slightest excuse on the come-down!

See how you go cos they do help prevent allergic reactions to tax, but if you are ok the first time, they can be reduced.

Dx

Sandytoes - He told me that the risk of allergic reaction is high , so they like the oncologist to be on site when we are getting it , so the increased steroids will aid with that as well .
I feel so well as it is day 11 post fec , i am glad no more fec(hasnt done a good job anyway )but some of the posts about tax are horrendous. However i realise we are all different and we may sail it! The thought of getting more chemo , i feel sick saying the word now, but i agree HAPPY DAYS when we are threw this bit !

This time next year this will be a memory

xx

Cr*p.

Oh well. Have to get on with it don’t we? My lump hasn’t shrunk either - so hoping Tax + Herceptin is going to zap it big time.

I’m with you. I haven’t actually been sick - but saying the word “chemo”, setting foot in the chemo ward and (BIG BLEUGH) the hospital food (GAG) turn my stomach really badly now. SHUDDER.

So…your first one will be next Friday?? I’m in next Weds…

I’ve still got the steroids flowing through my veins so sleep not coming to me anytime soon…

x

Girls, just get them down your neck. We don’t like them but they are ther to stop convulsions, brain swelling and turning ourselves inside out.
The tears and tantrums will be there regardless.

Next one a week on Tuesday. So loads of good days ahead, just tired, I am every 3 weeks and no Herceptin for me,

I will take them on that advice !!! lol. Oh well i will hide under the duvet the next time and put Do Not Disturb foe 3 days on the door of my tent in the cake isle …

x

OK - I’m in the day after you. We’ll swap notes!! While we’re up all night. And all day. While stuffing our faces with cake. x

I had awful problems to begin with because the flipping things played merry hell with my anti-seizure meds but was told that it really was the best thing to take to reduce adverse reactions. My onc advised me to take them absolutely no later than 2pm otherwise I’d be awake all night and she was right! On the days when I forgot and took them even an hour or so later that was it for the night as I felt so buzzy. On the down days in between I really did feel ‘down’, kind of ‘tired and emotional’ but without the alchofrol! :slight_smile: Those were the days when I either cried all over my poor OH or had to be restrained when I wanted to start chucking things about because I was so flipping angry at the world and cancer in particular!

Asteroids - pretty good description as there were days when I really did feel like I was floating off in space somewhere! :slight_smile:

Nymeria