Still Getting underarm and Breast Pain Three years On!

Trying not to get my head in a spin but am experiencing quite abit of soreness around Lymph cut( feels like an iron bar at times) and also breast pain around op site ( had Lumpectomy and 9 nodes removed in 2009). I thought it had all settled and have been quietly getting on with life so am abit narked . Can anyone advise is this normal to experience this return pain. Dont want to contact BC nurse as I have never really found her sympathetic in the past and the G.P is sooooo overloaded . What do you think normal or iffy.

I also get a lot of pain in these areas - my op was a year ago and was fine shortly afterwards, but since the rads these areas can be really painful. I was so worried that I mentioned it to my breastcare nurse and she brought my yearly check up forward. My surgeon said it is nerve pain and is quite normal, so many nerves under the arm have been sliced through that is can take years to go away. I wonder if it is something to do the weather as mine has been much worse recently. Is yours sorer at night? Sometimes I cannot bear anything touching it (like pyjamas) as the seams aggravate it so much. This weekend it has been so sore that I have gone braless for the last two days since I have been at home. I have tried using Tiger Balm (2 pots from Poundland) and it gives some relief. My surgeon also said to try Ibroprofen gel but he didn’t seem sure if that would work! Said I should be grateful that I was around to feel the pain!!! Another thing - do you feel hot and cold in the underarm area where the lymphs have gone? I have to touch it to check if I have dried it enough after a shower, and when I apply deoderant I can’t feel the coldness which I can on the “good” side. Hope these ramblings are of some help!!
Take Care K M xx

Thanks for reply much appreciated - not worse at night but continuing the same as in the day - have to apply pressure to relieve abit but not ideal and still continues after release. Flippin not fair as all has been so good for about 6 months. Have taken Ibrupo- but doesnt really touch it . If I ask the BCNurse she says to grit my teeth and put up with it - which I suppose she is right in a way but it does get you down when you think you’ve moved on and it comes back to bite you in the watsit. I was going to come back and post a really positive 'Three Years On ’ report back cos we all know the struggle it is 6mths, 1 yr. 18 mths etc on gettting rid of one hill to face yet another just around the bend. Yes I do agree I think the warmer weather does contribute which on the plus side makes me think of fluid retention … memo to self drink more water and will see if that helps. No not hot and cold - interesting that one - mind you hot all over due to the Nastroza but I can manage that one now. Brave girl using Tiger Balm even after all this time I’m so careful in what I put on that area - sometimes stings though. Still here though and know I’m so fortunate compared to others that my whinging seems self indulgent but am seeing BC nurse for 6 monthy check up in 7 weeks so will see if she refers me lol bet she doesnt !!! .

Wow - check ups every 6 months - that is really good. I don’t put tiger balm on the actual scars themselves though - I am not that brave! I use Bio Oil on them religiously every night. Tiger balm has quite natural ingredients in it - menthol, camphor, clove and cassia oil, peppermint and cajuput oil (whatever that my be) so it can’t be that bad - I would never put it on broken skin. Are you still on some form of hormone therapy - that may be causing pain as well. I have permission to come off Letrozole for 2 weeks as I had awful backache, within 2 tablets of stopping the pain had gone, I have had so much energy since then, but due to see my surgeon this week for an alternative for the next 4.5 years. This long weekend I have been drinking lots of iced water to try to help - but find it hard to drink that much when I am at work. Am so busy during the day that I think I only notice the symptoms at night, and also bed is warmer too. Let me know how you get on at the check up.