cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having discomfort in breast area

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Still having discomfort in breast area

Hi All,

My surgeries were May / July & rads aug/sept.... & have had tenderness since then Over Christmas thought was developing cording - saw my BC nurse & also contacted the physio I met originally when pre-op. Cording confirmed, am now x2 physion sessions down, improved movement in the arm, less pain & as Seabreeze says keeping on doing the exercises, Since seeing the physio most recently I have been given new exercises to keep stretching out.

Good luck with it all

Lexilou

I think doing the stretches helps. Radio seems to leave a lingering tendency to make things gets tight fairly rapidly if you don't keep stretching.
I'm a few months post radio now and recently started getting a weird sensitive sensation roughly where the 2 metal clips or markers must be. Not sure how much of that is bra pull to the bigger side affecting the radio boost nipple area....still waiting for a proper prosthesis.

I finished rads at the end of October and over the last couple of weeks, my breast and arm are sore and uncomfortable. seeing my Gp again on Thursday,but I feel better after reading the posts here it's probably normal to have pain afterwards, just need to get used to it!

my op was in August and I finsihed rads in Oct. I still have occasional pain and discomfort, mainly on my side where my bra sits. It is improving though, so maybe you just need to give it time? if the pain gets worse, or you get other symptoms, its best to get it checked out. I think we worry about wasting peoples time, but if things persist or worsen then its important to get a reucrrance ruled out.

I finished radiotherapy in mid-September after two lots of surgery including removal of all the lymph nodes on the right side. I thought I'd got off lightly with only some reddening of the skin around the nipple and underside of the breast. However, as the weeks passed I started getting aches and jagging pains in the right breast, my ribs felt as if I'd been kicked and my breast became numb.It's still no better ..... wearing a bra is too uncomfortable so I only wear one if I'm going out and then it's off the minute I get home! From everything I've read on here it seems as if this is par for the course and will slowly get better. It's reassuring to know that others are having similar problems, but disappointing that no mention of how long these effects could last were given in the pre-treatment information sheet. It's taken a lot of searching online to find out I'm not alone.
Fingers crossed we'll all feel normal again soon. All best wishes xx

What a coincidence ...i finished rads at end of Oct and haven't had any discomfort since end Nov. Then on Wed morning after my shower I felt a sharp stinging and it's been tender ever since. Not sure what to do

Hi Dolly how your comment made me laugh - people seem to be split in to two halves those that genuinely care and those who quite frankly are ready to move on and simply feel that after a while ( short or long depending on the individual) we should be too. It never enters their heads that there may be on going issues for years after. Sadly the latter are in the majority. We learn to wear a hard body shell , its another thing we have to deal with but after all we've been through whats a few selfish people even if they are familiy .Good luck pet.

Thank you everybody for your replies. It really helps to hear from others further down the road and realise things are normal. I try to avoid talking to family too much as they seem to think I should be "well" now

Hello, I am 4 years post lumpectomy and 3 1/2 years post radiotherapy. I am still rather tender in the breast and guard it constantly. I know it has improved though, because the car seatbelt doesnt annoy me anymore.

I have tenderness in the ribs just under the breast which become more painful in the winter time, believe it or not. I am due a check up tomorrow with my surgeon, I only see her once a year, and I'm sure she'll reassure me that its all from the radiotherapy. Last year my GP suggested I had costochondritis but I do not think its this.I am a bit nervous of the checkup tomorrow as the poking and prodding is sore and then next week it'll be the annual mammogram ouch!

Hi Girls - Had radiotherapy just over five years ago and due  my last visit to see my BC nurse on tuesday so thought I'd pop back for one last time to see haow all you ladies are doing and found this thread. Just wanted to share a ray of hope in what must be a dark tunnel at the moment for you - It does improve really . Dont get me wrong I still get sore and feel swollen at times but those times are getting less and there for pshycologically managable . Dont forget you have had those nasty nerve endings cut and they really want to be buddied up to each other but this fades with time. Hang in there , good luck all.

Dollie. I'm on exactly the same time scale as you re op and rads. I've had the shooting pains and Iam still swollen and itchy but have just in the last few days developed an ache in my armpit and breast. I no longer have a nipple. I'm not seeing my onc again until end of Jan but if it continues I'll be phoning my bcn.

I don't have itchyness but feel pain from armpit to nipple area and nipple and breast feel swollen. I have noticed it happens after over use of my right arm hoovering etc.

I finished my radiotherapy in September and still have pain and tenderness in my breast, some days too painful to wear a bra.

Plus my skin itches so badly it drives me to distraction.

Do you have this problem too?

Hi I had lumpectomy exactly 4 years ago and breast is still tender. Apparently the radiotherapy carries on working for quite a while afterwards. When I last questioned my oncologist a few months ago he confirmed that thiis was very normal and to expect this. Hope this helps. Best wishes x

Still having discomfort in breast area

I had two invasive grade two lumps removed end august and finished radiotherapy in November. All seemed to be going well but this past week I have experienced an ache in my breast. It is more uncomfortable than sharp pain and I feel protective of that area especially if somebody hugs me. Is this normal so long after surgery?