68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having work done 3 years down the line. Help!

13 REPLIES 13
Mash

Re: Still having work done 3 years down the line. Help!

Hi Blaine13(hope I got that right)

I haven't been on the forum for a long time , but just read your thread and I wanted to say I too was diagnosed with Breast Cancer Jan 2012 .

i have just had my fourth operation on Saturday which was a small skin graft and lipofil in my left breast and mastoplexy to my right implant (I had a bilateral masectomy in June 2014 .)

i am very lucky as my surgeon is very good at her job, and even though it does feel never ending I think this will be my LAST op please God !! 

I don't know if this will help you or not ,but I do hope you feel more confident after your surgeries

Kind Regards 

Margi

Blaine13

Thank you. I've just sent s request. Still want a proper breast though. I am so depressed with this small wrinkled hanging 'thing'!
lexilou3

Hello,

Have you tried Knitted Knockers - worth a google. Many have posted on here about these ingenious solutions. With the main forum page open try popping knitted knockers in the search facility. (top right) but have the whole forum open - not just a specific part.

Good luck with your searches,

LL xx 

Blaine13

I don't want to go that small. I'm not huge as it is but I'd like to keep a bit of a boob there. My big problem is getting a bra to fit which is really upsetting. Even with a prosthesis in place a bra still sags open. Any ideas anyone as to what I can do/wear?
lexilou3

Hi Blaine,
Would you consider a reduction to your other breast ? my surgeon offered.this right from diagnosis, but i opted to wait until full yreatment options were known and completed. I have since been ""matched"" and am delighted. Good luck and thimking of you x x
NAZ

I know, it isn't fair is it. Removing the cancer is one thing, but reconstruction is an entirely different ball game when things do not go according to plan.

Perhaps try to focus on the things you like about yourself and submerge yourself in lots of activities which can keep you busy and make you feel good about yourself. I know it is hard as all you want is for everything to be over and done with and to be able to look at yourself and say 'it's okay'.

Hang on in there...

Blaine13

Thanks again. I paid to have a consultation with a private consultant but couldn't afford the actual op with him. He agreed I didn't look too good!
Nobody will touch me til next year now though because of the recent surgery. I'm going to have to grin and bear it til then I suppose. I hate all this. Trying very hard not to look at myself as then I can't get so upset. Don't know why I had to have all this trouble. As if getting cancer wasn't bad enough!
NAZ

Maybe see if your ps can put you in touch with a colleague who can make things better for you? Or look further afield and ask to see a few recommended surgeons? I can recommend mine if you want, but he is based in the north west!

Blaine13

Southampton
NAZ

Yes I can understand you wanting to look normal again and it's really unfortunate that you had this scar tissue and muscle problem 😓 what about a bigger implant? Another type of reconstruction (Diep??). Not sure what to suggest, but keep plugging away to try and find someone who can make you feel like a woman again. There ARE things which can be done, where abouts are you in the country?

Blaine13

Thanks for the reply Naz . My last op was with a different surgeon as I had completely lost faith with the first one. He found a lot of problems such as my muscle had disintegrated and I had tons of scar tissue which had to be removed. Hence my breast was left smaller than anticipated. I'm told that fate transferral is the only option left to me now but having had it once, I know that it doesn't necessarily work, plus I have to wait another year before I can have it done. I'm having to go all through summer now without being able to wear little summer dresses and as for a bikini on a beach.... Well I can forget that entirely ! I don't feel very womanly, just freakish. My partner hasn't seen my body in the 3 years since I had the original operation as I hate it so much . Although he says it doesn't matter what I look like, it matters to me! I can't get people to understand that. Yes I'm grateful to be alive but I want to look normal again 😓
NAZ

Hi Blaine

I couldn't read and run so thought I would leave you a little reply.

I had left MX almost 6 years ago now. Had expander put in and then permanent implant six months later. This did not take as my skin was far too thin and stretched. So it had to come out and I had LD flap recon in several stages. The whole process took 4 years ( which included surgery to the healthy side). In total i must have had about 7 ops from start to finish. My advice is find yourself a good to excellent PS. There are some fabulous surgeons out there who can work wonders on us BC ladies. At the end of the day, this is something which YOU have to live with for the rest of your life, so I don't think you should have to accept being lopsided. I have reasonable symmetry now and some kind of cleavage. I did not have this to begin with, but my second PS worked very hard to try and make the best of a bad job. I am left with lots of scarring, so don't tend to look at myself too hard, else I do feel sad. But i can get on with life now, whereas before, I couldn't because the outcome needed to be right. I have not had a fat transfer, but I do believe that several attempts are necessary, in order to achieve the required result? It seems to work well for some ladies, but not all.

Why is your new implant smaller than your other breast? Have you had radiotherapy, as this can sometimes cause problems with skin and implants? Do speal to your PS and let he or she know you are unhappy with the result.

Really feel for you and hope you get sorted soon.

Naz xx

Jo_BCC

Hi Blaine13

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the  many informed users of this site.  While you are waiting for replies I have put you the link to one of our free services - Someone Like Me - which I hope you find helpful.

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/support-you/someone-talk/someone-me

Our helpline team are also just a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone in person 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Blaine13

Still having work done 3 years down the line. Help!

3 years ago I got cancer in my right breast. Had a mastectomy and an immediate reconstruction. A bulge formed so the implant was taken out and another put in. This was a really small implant and my skin just wrinkled and hung like a very old woman's ! Eventually this was exchanged for another one but still not the same same size as my existing breast. I then had fat transferral which didn't make the slightest difference. I've now just recently had another implant put in as my breast was misshapen and rock hard. I have a better shape and its softer but still so small in comparison and wrinkled with loose skin again. I've been told I can have fat transferral next year which I don't think will make much difference. I'm so depressed . After having all those ops I'm still looking extremely lopsided . I can't get over this. I'm crying almost every day and hate looking at myself. Is there anybody out there that has had a similar experience and can give me some advice or hope that things will definitely get better .