Still in remission - 26 months

Hi everybody. I don’t very often come on to this forum but have found this relatively new section and would like to share my story with you in the hope that it inspires.

I was originally diagnosed with micro-invasive ductal cancer in situ in 2001 aged 34 when my baby boy was 6 months old and my daughter was 3. I had a lumpectomy and 25 sessions of radiotherapy and started Tamoxifen.

Three years later in September 2004 I had a mastectomy with reconstruction following the discovery that the cancer had returned.
Thinking that was the end of things, as I was always reassured that ductal cancer in situ rarely develops into secondaries, I was gob smacked when we learned that the cancer had spread in December 2007 - to my lungs. (I was also originally told that it was in my liver but that was subsequently proven to be incorrect). With a poor prognosis given, I embarked on 18 weeks of EC chemotherapy which was ineffective and I was bed ridden for most of that time. I was then put on letrozole as a temporary measure to enable me to gather my strength for the next round of chemotherapy. Having been on the letrozole for 3 months, I was then scanned but during this time I also found a good naturopathic doctor who prescribed me a range of natural immune boosters. To my oncs surprise, my CT scan was clear and I was declared to be ‘in remission’. A further CT scan in September 2009 also revealed no cancer and I am currently desrcibed as ‘stable’. I have my tumour markers done every 16 weeks and will be having them read again in January.

I have recently been devastated by the death of two friends to this xx%%%?? of a disease and I, like many of you who have lost friends and or family members, have been so saddened by their deaths. However I have posted in the hope that anybody reading this who has been recently diagnosed with lung mets is inspired to learn that this very individual disease constantly surprises the oncs. I pray every day that my remission continues and that others in my situation receive the news that I did in 2008 - NED.
Merry Christmas to everybody and hope for the future.

Hi Hope2
Thank you for sharing your ‘story’, I don’t have lung mets myself (boney ones for me!) but I’m sure it really will inspire ladies who do. Long may your current state continue. Interestingly my onc, when I saw him 6 months or so ago, said ‘don’t ignore your own immune system helping’ when I said the drugs were doing their job well. Happy Christmas and it must be lovely to be spending another one with your family when you probably thought the worst in 2007.
Nicky x

Dear Hope, wishing you a very Happy Christmas and ditto all Nicky has said. It is hard to lose friends, so very hard.
Take Care and I hope you continue to enjoy your good health for many more Christmasses to come…xx
PS…if you haven’t already read the story, a lady living well with lung involvement.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5389426.stm

Dear Belinda and Nicky - thank you so much for your lovely messages that you sent to me before Christmas. I hope that you have both had a good christmas and thank you so much for the link that you sent me Belinda it is so inspiring!

Christmas Day morning is so special to everybody on this site. It is a very special time of year and as I watched my two children open their presents I thanked God, the Universe, (whatever!) that I am still here and at present, well!!!

I get my tumour markers read again on Tuesday and visit my onc on Wednesday. Here’s to a good reading!!!
Happy New Year to both of you and everybody else on this site!
Hope2 xxx

It is so good to hear stories like yours.

Julie x

Lovely to read your story Hope, long may your good health continue. I am also a believer in the immune system being able to hold cancer at bay if caught early enough. Are you still having treatment? I would be interested to hear what you were prescribed to boost your immune system - I am trying to do the same thing with diet.

finty xx

I am still in remission nearly five years later after a diagnosis of bc at age 28. There are many survivors. We are strong women and dont give up easily. I am having both breasts reconstructed this year as a further precaution. I wish everyone a happy 2011 full of love and support xxx

Hi Hope,

i too would be interested in what can help boost immune system.

I will be thinking of you Tuesday & Wednesday & hope all goes well

Sarah.xxx

Hi hope

I sent you a message about your supplement regime.it was great.I’m always looking to add to my own.I have lung mets as well.
You did respomd with a great deal with info and I’m sad to say I got deleted by my husband by mistake.I joined under his email account.
Is it possible to resend it?

Thank you 2x

Congratulations on your long remission! I would be interested in the immune stuff too. Doesn’t BCC allow details to be posted here, does it need to be PM only?

Hi 2x - I will send you the email again. Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven’t been on for a few weeks.
Hope 2 x

Hi Scaryfox - I’m not sure if the moderators will allow me or not. Some others have asked me for the info by pm so I just sent it to them that way. I’ll do the same and send it to you by pm.
Hope2 xx

Hi, Congratulations on being in remission .
I’d be really interested in ways to boost immune system too if you wouldn’t mind PMing them, unless you can post them on here.

Thanks. Stella xx

I also agree that the immune system is very important. Apparently there was a famous medical scientist in America some years ago, who did a lot of research on immunotherapy drugs. He thought he was on the verge of a cure, but sadly this was not to be, and so research funding dwindled (apparently his research did help lead to Herceptin though). I noticed recently that the Chinese have bought all the rights to his work, so they must think so as well.

Hi Stella,

Have sent you a Pm

Sarah.xx

Many thanks for posting such an inspiring story. I have also PMd you a request for further information. It is so good to read a positive story.
Sue

Hope, could I possibly also have details of your supplements/boosters. I am keen to do anything I can to beat this thing. Thanks and hope your counters drop MG x

Hi Hope hope the remission continues. Had posted asking for details of supplements for improving immune system, but do not see it on the thread gone into cyber space.Hope you can send details.Thanks Jackie xx

hi,

Hope kindly forwarded me info ref supplements if anyone would like me to forward it on please let me know as am not sure that Hope comes onto forum often (she did put in msg that she was happy for me to pass on)

Sarah.xx

Hi Sarah,

Yes if you could please. I am trying to look at what I can do to reduce the chances of his horrible disease affecting my life any more, MG xx