Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Tamoxifen for surgery!

3 REPLIES 3
MysteryMouse

Re: Stopping Tamoxifen for surgery!

Hi Annen

Thanks very much for your reply.  It does help a lot to know that others have stopped Tamoxifen as well.  I have stopped for a week now and am just trying not to think about it an be positive but it is hard. I am a bit of a Nervous Nelly! 😮

Thanks

MM 

Annen

I've had to have a few operations (Hysterectomy, gall bladder, implant swap) since starting taking Tamoxifen and had to stop for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after each op.

The thought  of getting blood clots is much more life threatening so I was able to put it to the back of my mind, each op had to be done so there was no other option.

Hope everything goes ok and you'll soon be back on the Tamoxifen, only thing is it was like starting again getting use to the hot sweats again after a month without!

Anne

Lizzy_BCC

Hi MysteryMouse, 

I am sorry to hear you are feeling anxious about stopping Tamoxifen. If his is something you would like to talk through with our experts you can always call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

MysteryMouse

Stopping Tamoxifen for surgery!

Hello

I have been offered reconstruction surgery in 2 weeks. I have been told I have to stop taking Tamoxifen 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after due to the risk of blood clots.

What I wanted to ask is how to cope mentally with the fear of having my 'comfort blanket' taken away. I have been told that the risk is minimal.

Anyone who has done this how did you mange to put it out of your mind?

Very scared if I'm honest!

MM