cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

smelltheroses

Re: Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

Morning all!

Just returned from a lovely trip to Edinburgh. The sun shone and got plenty of exercise walking those hilly streets! Well, they are hilly to me! Will read the posts later, hope everyone keeping well and that those recovering from treatment keeping spirits up.

Love Sheila xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all...Its dull but not cold here...hope we see 'old yella' again soon...
Hope those with wounds on the mend, feeling low, having appointments, on holiday, working or going about their everyday business, have a slice of 'I feel good today!' vibes......:-)

catch ya later
Helenxxx

kittenkat

Rosie - meant to say WHOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOP girl!! No more herceptin - now don't be surprised if in a few wks or so you feel odd/down etc as your active treatment has continued for so long - just wanted to mention it, I'm sure you've already thought it......(((((hugs))))) mary x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all....I hope Theresa and family are enjoying their hols and Sandra and family too..

I posted yesterday then lost it! Well its raining here, but still warm, I'm sure it'll come back. I had a good reveiw meeting with my GP on Friday who said he had written to my neuro surgeon to tell him about my left-sided weakness...which will be handy when I see the surgeon next week, as it is one of the questions I want to ask him about....

Jacq sounds like sleep has done the trick, we have clever bodies eh!
Sounds like your wound is mending well too Carole...apart from the yueey bits!!!
Great about your Herceptin Rosie...the last one...a big tick for that off of your things to get done!
Clare how are you missus? I think some time off of work has been good for you...I hope when you go back that you have the support you need from your colleagues to make you feel ok about things.Hope you get results from x.ray and scan back soon.....
Linda...I like that you 'won' your races...good luck for the last half term and I hope that your reports are well on their way to being written!
Hey Di..you little party goer you! 🙂 I logged onto the link you gave us for the lady who made jewellery...very nice!
Victoria ..never heard of the Durkan diet...good luck with it..
Debs ...cant offer advice on rads..lucky enough to not have them, but the girls on here have lots of advice for you...they'll be done before you know it!! when do you start em?
Hey Sheila how are you doing with work now love. Hope things have got much better! Don't do anymore than you need to...not easy though is it!

Have a good day everyone...hope the sun comes back tomorrow...mmmmm sounds like a cue for a song hehehe (my names not Annie though):-)

Helen xxx

Eliza

Morning, Di & Jacq. Morning, all.

Excellent news on the recovery, Jacq, sounds like the sleeping really did do the trick. I'm sure that worked for me after my surgery. Have a lovely day at City Farm.

Di, some of my medieval friends did a nuns event at Lacock last summer. I was asked to do it too but I was still getting very tired at that point and thought that driving all the way there on Friday afternoon, setting up, doing the event, taking down and driving home on Sunday evening was just not practical.

A lovely post-dentist treat, Linda, and even better to have had a win as well!

The new diet sounds promising, Victoria. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Debs, I did use the aqueous cream during rads and then when I'd finished I used nelsons Burns Cream on the burns and Aloe Vera gel on the very inflamed bits.

I did manage a sort of shower after surgery with the aid of a friend and a roll of clingfilm! My dressings were only on 7 days and on day 5 I could stand not showering no longer. I sat in the bath on a low stool (my friend had got it when her elderly mum stayed with her), we wrapped cling film over the dressings and my friend held and directed the shower! Then we changed the dressings when I was dry. I felt much better afterwards but think it was as much due to the laughter it produced as the shower itself! You might want to give it a try, Carole ...

Hope you get your appointment through quickly, Clare.

Right, off to get ready to go and play in the sun!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

notyetinthebox

Morning! Managed to shake off Mr. Sandman at last and have both eyes open at the same time.

Well, I listened to my body for once and slept LOTS - seems to have done the trick as am recovering well. Any wobbles I had are way in the distance, soooo pleased I had it done. What a pair!!! - at my age too, now all that's left to get sorted is ..........

Hope Theresa is having a lovely time, and that you don't have to wait too long, Clare. Are you finished with the teeth now, Linda? And many congrats to Rosie - another hurdle jumped. And hope your dressings are holding up, Carole, get it out in the sun!

OK, I've read everything, but in one side and out the other, you all know the story.

Debs, the old skin is funny stuff. I'm really fair, get loads of rashes, psoriasis, etc., and came through the whole rads affair (5 weeks) unscathed. Weird thing was that there were 4 Afro/Caribbean ladies I got friendly with having it at the same time and they really suffered. One of them actually had to completely stop treatment due to her skin being in such a terrible state. The rads staff said that that is often the case. Guess I must have strong freckles.

Anyway, that round, yellow object is still beaming away, and I've been delegated to babysit for the day - which proves they think I'm good. So I'm off to the City Farm for the day with littlelegs.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and may all your troubles be put on the back burner.

Love and hugs, xxJacqxx.

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all, a beautiful sunny one here again - hope all the new Storm Pups are coping with the heat as well as their owners:-)

Rosie huge Congrats on your last Herceptin, another hurdle over.

A day at the races sounds great fun Linda, I haven't been since I was a child and we lived near Hereford, winning sounds even better, I always go for a name I like or a pretty set of silks.

Hope the scar dressing's going okay Carole, I used to be a lot more squeamish than I am now after all the wound dressing - I still have enough dressings here to open a shop so if you run short let me know!

Made more use of our Nat. Trust membership yesterday and went to Lacock, about 40 minutes away. It's where they filmed Pride & Predjudice and Cranford and is such a beautiful place. We've been before but not been around the Abbey as you have to pay but our free entry allowed us around this wonderful place, full of atmosphere - I could just imagine being in Nun in Chaucer's time walking through the cloisters...okay maybe not, I'd no doubt be the scullery maid!

Also had 2 nights out this week - after no nights out for months. One to see Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel who were in Bristol and a girlie night to see Sex & the City. Had a fab time and lots of laughs, definitely the best medicine.

Hope everyone is well today and those suffering aches and pains can lie out in the sun and chill, hugs to all, Di xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all,

Back from dentist followed by a day at the races. Hubby took day off work and persuaded me that my time was much better spent having a flutter than typing reports at a computer all day. Being about forty quid up, i would say he was right... Both the boys had a win too, in fact only hubby who studies form, stables etc... didnt win. Tee hee. Yes, I couldnt resist the urge to rub it in good and proper!! I bet he wishes he had gone without me....

Debs, I used the aqeous cream to wash with like shower gel (I find its too heavy and blocks my pores if i use it to moisturise) Then i applied radiance and also applied it prior to going for appointment. By the end my skin had only slightly split and that was after 25 sessions and 15 with a bolus bag. I truthfully never really suffered at all.

Hope you get an appointment soon Claire and they let you know quickly. The worst part is the waiting isnt it? Got a real dodgy shoulder at moment but at least after having my bone scan, I can presume it is just sleeping funny on it. Victoria, know those tamoxofen moments so well. Do you find someone reminds you of something they had told you and you had completely forgotten it?

Anyway see its quiet on here so have to presume that the stormriders are basking in the sunlight. Good job too!!!

Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Dressings on for 2.5 weeks Carole? Yikes! Does that mean that you can't get the wound wet for that long either? I struggled to last for the 10 days without a shower I was told. Mind you, I didn't have a dressing (I got blisters post-biopsy even from hypoallergenic plasters) so just industrial strength steri-strips. They took a fair bit of getting off, but the wound looked neat, tidy and pretty much healed by that time. Perhaps the lack of dressing helped with the drying/healing process - I was pretty surprised at the speed being a slow healer usually.

Linda, thanks for the recommendation - I've had a look and book-marked it. I shall have a look at juggling the budget. Presumably you didn't slap as much of it on as one would the aqueous cream? so pleased to hear your appointment went well and the recovering veins news is especially fab.

Clare, hope the Xray results and the scan appt come through soon.

Good weekends all round.

Debs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Wooo woo fantastic news Rosie, definately put the flags out.

Good news on the rads Debs, it will be over before you know it. Agree with everyone on the cream - moisturise, moisturise.

Carole - yeugh,as you say good thing you are not squemish, but gentle ((hugs)).

Glad the onc appt went OK Linda.

I had an appt at the hopsital to discuss the pains in my back. I had a chest X ray and they will send me an appt for a bone scan to check. I've just realised I said I had pains in my hips when I meant my pelvis - doh!

Love and hugs to all

Clare X

brightlight28

Hello SRs,

Hoping everyone is okay - having just read the posts I'm now having a 'Tamoxifen/Zolodax' moment and just can't remember who said what.

Wonderful to have so many new storm dogs though. And glad the three month check was okay Linda.

We came back from Suffolk on Tuesday and then I was at work on Wednesday. We have an intern who has just started at the Dept for six weeks from Princeton, and I was showing her around.

Yesterday I went for my monthly Zolodax injection - and I'm sure at the start of the month the side effects are worse when the implant gets going. My joints seem really stiff today and as if I am suffering from rheumatism!

Just come back from the plastic dressings clinic and will be working at home this afternoon after lunch. Thinking of lunch - I am thinking of trying a new diet which is deemed a healthier but more extreme version of the Atkins diet called the Durkan diet: healthy as food needs to be reduced fat, more extreme as only protein is allowed in the first five days so no veg as on the Atkins. The only relief from the protein is a spoonful of oatmeal in some milk each day to curb the carb craving. Apparently it is the diet that keeps Parisians slim. I'll let you know how I get on.

Wishing everyone well - and have a lovely weekend dog walking (cat walking in my case!).

Victoria xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Well had my three monthly, over fairly quickly and even the taking of some blood didnt hurt today, my veins must be recovering!! All this talk of poochs, really should put my Rosie on here. Watch out for her soon!! Great news the other Rosie, onwards and upwards!!!
Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Debs, if you are flush, there was a brilliant gel on Penny Brohn cancer centre which I used and my skin held up really well even with the dreaded bolus bag. It is called radiance gel and it is expensive but I would swear by it. The people who did my rads were impressed too.

Re the alcohol, have been to a friends house tonight and had three small glasses of fizzy wine (the stuff with a bit of alcohol but not a lot). look like i have overdone the sun, my face is so red.

Anyway, enjoy the great weather everyone!!

Linda

Eliza

Have a wonderful holiday, Theresa.

Congrats on finishing the Herceptin, Rosie!

Good to see from FB that your appointment went well, Linda.

Debs, as Carole says, keeping layering on the aqueous cream. Also remember to drink enough water as it seems to help all round.

I only had to keep my dressings on for a week, Carole and I changed then during that time. The spare ones the ward gave me were very large and when I went back the following week to have the ends of the dissolving stitches snipped, my surgeon & I had a good laugh at them.

Off to bed now. Goodnight all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

The rads will fly by when you get there Debs. Lol-ing at the 'eyeful'. Just remember the aqueous cream. How we all want to forget, but it does help a lot. I was slapping it on for a good week or so before I started, and kept it up. If you 'burn' it will likely not take effect till you've actually finished. So keep up the aqueous after you finish. Any discomfort will be over in about 2-3 weeks after your last session.

Calam - how totally un-Calam of you! Not saying. Whoop de doop! And and a keg is getting opened in Joe's tonight!

Happy hols Theresa!

Loving the Marco Polo! Considering whether to rename Mia. Lick comes to mind. This is one slurpy dog. 🙂

WLE dressing eventually bit the dust today. How do they expect us to keep these things on for 2.5 weeks! Anyway, eeewwwww, scar, yuck, not totally healed. The one under my arm came off in about 48 hours, patched it, it came off, gave up. That one's fine. Boob scar, yeuch! Anyway anti-septic wiped it, dressed it, topped it with a semi-waterproof, need to go to the docs tomorrow and get some more dressing stuff. Good job I'm not squeamish! 😄

Guest user
Not applicable

Blimey Rosie, how low key are you? Fantastic! Not that I've the least idea what it entails, but it certainly sounds like another major step completed. Nicky, I'm so glad to hear Buddy is on the mend. I'm afraid that I was chuckling at the thought of you calling Marco and Polo - my parents named a dog Lulu and I used to hate shouting for her, as there was always some wag who used to yell back "yoohoo". Take it easy at the weekend, it sounds like you've been overdoing it m'dear. Sal, hope you've got your energy back today, even if you haven't managed that run. Fingers crossed for Polo's way being smoothed your way too! Theresa, I hope you have a fantastic holiday and that you were able to sort out getting Molly to the kennels without trauma. Linda, hope the oncologist grope went well and that the pile of reports is dwindling fast. Yikes Helen, I didn't realise alcohol bit you back, that's pretty rubbish.

Thanks to you all for the re-assurance on delay before rads, it helps to know my experience is more the norm. Unfortunately my BCN gave me a timeline and it was WAY WAY off! Still, all I have to remember now is to take my own gown (poor old b*gger looked like he wanted to run away when I sat opposite him ... didn't realise till I sat down that he'd had an eyeful ... oops!)

Time to get out for another walk in this lovely sunshine, hope everyone else manages to enjoy it where they are too.

Debs x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Forgot to say the other day - put the flags out, I've had my last dose of Herceptin!

This weather is so tempting, I'd rather be pottering round in the garden than studying.

Rx

scottishlass

Hi Linda, Hope your appointment goes well today. Theresa, Have a great holiday. It sounds perfect for you and I am sure the good weather and the change of scene will do you the world of good. Hope everyones doggies are doing well. I don't have one so no advice to give. sorry. Carol, Sorry you have had so much to deal with recently. Glad you enjoyed your birthday Nell. What books did you get as presents? Hugs to everyone. Love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope you had a good day yesterday Helen.
Buddy is doing much better now - he's more like his usual happy self. I do take him for hydro/physio. The nearest place that is run by a properly qualified physio is about 25 miles away but he really does benefit so we have a weekly trip there. There are nearer places but I have heard horror stories of dogs dying at both of them and my insurance won't cover me there.
Mary I hope that Bobby is settling at night now. He does look a real cutie.
Sal we once had a dog called Polo but he was so rotund that a friend really thought that his name was Rolo. My sister then got a dog that she deliberately called Marco. I felt really stupid calling them both when we were out for walks.
I went out with a group from work yesterday and wee all went to one persons house to change before going out so by the time I got home I was really shattered. I couldn't believe it was only Thursday when I woke up this morning. Roll on Sunday and a lie in.
Theresa have a wonderful holiday.
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all,

Hope you had a fabulous day and evening yesterday Helen, Happy Birthday!!

Love all the new Storm Dogs joining, Bobby looks adorable Mary. I am always looking at Many Tears Rescue and having many tears! I would have them all if I could. If you haven't had any help yet with the night time let me know as my brother's a full time dog trainer and I've been doing it part time for 20 years, sounds like you're going the right way though! Glad your dogs on the mend too Nicky, have you got a doggy swimming place near you as that's very therapeutic isn't it, especially for joint problems.

Theresa you must be getting so excited about tomorrow, hope you have a fab time away, david will love it won't he, and a good rest for you too I hope.

Thinking of you all and sending good vibes to all those with appointments etc, big hugs Di xxxxx

kittenkat

Nicky - sorry meant to say hope your dog is a bit better bless.....and that Dad is doing well.....mary x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning everyone...:D

Hi Helen - glad to hear the birthday celebrations have gone well...:D

Busy day here as we need to do the packing etc... David is very excited lol We also need to find out how we are going to get Molly to the kennels as the car is still at the garage at the moment...

Linda - hope todays appointment goes well... x

Sal - hope that all goes well with getting the dog and he is soon home with you... 😄

Debs - how many rads sessions are you having? It does get abit groundhogdayish... lol

Nicky - hope your dog is continuing to improve x

Carole - did you partake of any jelly and icecream?

Theresa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning folks...Can't sleep...too light..awake since 4 so decided to get up. Its gorgeous outside...our weather eh!
Thanks all for your birthday wishes...the tea was nice and I got more books to read...thats 8 now I have waiting to be read...great!
I had 2 small glasses of wine and each had a small bottle of tonic in them....thought I'd be sneaky by diluting the wine...nope! the aches still came in force and woke me up...still I enjoyed the 'treat', it was worth it...hehehe

Sal how far can you swim in one session? Er is it Polo you'll be talking to or his current carer?
Debs it sounds like things are beginning to move forward for you, bet you cant wait to get the rads over with...not long now.
Carole..did you do any inhouse entertainment for the childrens party? 🙂 ie belly dancing!!!
Nicky glad your little dog is pain free now...and things are sorted with the vet..poor thing!
OOhh Linda..its that time of year eh! You feel like you meet yourself coming back! Good luck with the reports..thats something I dont miss!!
Hope your going on fine Sheila...

Have a lovely day everyone...theres not a cloud in the sky again...yippee!

Helenxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello all,

Happy birthday Helen. Debs I had to wait about two months for my rads. Had them all through the summer holidays last year. You'll be through before you know it. I am on weight watchers, have been going since before christmas. It keeps me on the straight and narrow so to speak. I was a vegetarian prior to bc diagnosis but afraid I craved meat so much when on chemo, my carnivore instincts got the better of me. I now eat meat regularly and less carbs than i used to. (Always ate loads of veg, continue to do so) I have always exercised regularly but do more nowadays. So I suppose I have changed my lifestyle a bit. Mostly I feel better for it (skin, energy levels) cant get rid of the bone aches though...

Best wishes to all, especially the new pooch owners. Theresa in case i dont come on again before, Have a great holiday.

got the oncologist tomorrow, 3month appointment. Expect to be seen, groped and sent on my way. We shall see....

Frantically writing school reports, have done all the numeracy for the other class (my set). Will do literacy and my class tomorrow.
On the way now.....

All the best
Linda

Eliza

Happy Birthday, Helen! Hope you're having a lovely day. And welcome to the new storm dog, he really is gorgeous!

The villa sounds a great idea, Theresa. I think villas etc can be much more relaxed and flexible all round. Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Glad that things are moving again, Debs. I felt just the same as I'm another who had quite a wait for rads but once I'd been for the planning appointment I settled down again.

Good news on the wine front, Sal!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy birthday Helen. I hope you had a lovely tea.

Debs, I had to wait for ages for rads too. Once you're started the time will whizz by. I haven't been able to drink since being on hormone therapy, but since I haven't had the Zoladex, I've managed a couple of small glasses of wine. Yippee!

Just a short post as I'm cream crackered. Went for a swim this evening and it's catching up with me now. Not sure I'll manage that run I'd planned for tomorrow afternoon......

Mary, you got a dog too. We had our home visit today and we have our "talk" on Saturday morning, so should get ours by the beginning of next week.

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday Helen - have a lovely tea.

Dear Val - was thinking about you yesterday, how poignant that the roses came into bloom and so proud of you that you were able to salute J so well.

Have a great time in Menorca Theresa.

Love to all Clare X

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh dear Linda, I reckon I could become more and more like you on the drinking front. I've never drunk on a daily basis, but I've been a terrible binge drinker and could really sink far too many on a session. I know it was bad for me on so many different levels and had already decided to move away from that lifestyle when this all happened. My best friend was rather horrified when I told her my decision, but she's learning to live with it. What weight loss plan are you following btw?

Happy birthday Helen - love the idea of a birthday tea. I have one friend who I regularly "take tea" with on our outings - lovely 🐵 I hope you enjoy the gardens next month and the wine today. I think the first time someone claps in church is always a shock (well to the traditionalists amongst us) but I think its a rather pleasing sound. I love the fact that your garden produced pink roses with such perfect timing Val ... very very lovely. Mary your Bobby looks absolutely gorgeous - I can give no advice on doggies and discipline/training, so will leave that to those with experience. Villa in Menorca sounds grand Theresa, I hope you all have a wonderful time relaxing in the warmth. Nicky, my parents were offered a posting to Singapore in the late 70s, but my mother turned it down wanting to get back to England as her two eldest (myself included) were leaving school. We were rather unappreciative I'm afraid as we'd always fancied a decent posting (the previous one being Bangladesh!)

Just back from my measuring and tattooing session in readiness for rads in a fortnight. I was getting a bit twitchy as there seemed to be a HUGE gap when everything had gone quiet and I was even in limbo on what drug regime I'd be following. Now that the plans are in place again, I'm much better!

Debs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday Helen!

I'm glad they clapped for you too Val. It's a sombre enough affair. Clapping always makes me remember that there was a person who loved life and would have clapped herself if she was there. Hugs.

Nicky, so glad poochy is feeling better.

Mary, he's gorgeous! I'll email you my nighttime advice.

Ooops, just seen the time. Off to a friend's kiddy's birthday party. Shower time.

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday Helen. Hope you've had a good lunch and enjoy dinner tonight.
Val, gladd that the eulogy and poem went well.
Thanks for all the good wishes for the dog. My own vet couldn't apologise enough last night but she hadn't seen the actual x-rays so couldn't comment about them, however she did agree that he shouldn't have been left in such pain. Another vet phoned this morning to explain things a bit more and I have an appt to look at the x-rays with my own vetso things will become clearer then. His pain does seem to be settled now and he is a happier dog.
Theresa your holiday sounds wonderful. I can't wait for August when my next break is - it seems so far away at the moment.
Lizzie - forgot to say before that we were in Singapore in the early 70's. My Dad was RAF at Changi hospital. My oldest sister had her engagement party at Changi prison.
Got to dash as there's a queue of patients waiting. One of them will be my 1.30.
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

OOOhhh Mary he's a cutie...yet another storm dog!! Hi Bobby!
Menorca is lovely Theresa...quite green...a villa...ooh I'd like that option...something to think about! enjoy!

Going out for lunch with my lass now...catch ya later!!

Helenxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Mary - he looks gorgeous... xxx

Helen - we are off to Menorca on friday for 2 weeks... we've never been before although our last 5 holidays before my diagnosis were to Majorca so not very different... lol We hire a private villa with pool as it is much easier with David - more room and no worrying about people staring and tutting etc... We go with villa plus so you get satellite telly, pool, pool table, table tennis table and playstation... and he is as happy as larry...:D

Theresa x

horace

Wow the pack of Storm Dogs gets bigger and bigger.He looks gorgeous Mary xxxxx

kittenkat

well girls, back to hug you all....you don't half talk - helen - happy birthday and have a good one and victoria, happy belated to you xx Val - big big hug xx jacqui & carole - well done the pair of you, take it easy now.....
I've been busy too - we got a doggie 10 days ago from many tears rescue Llanelli, well he was in foster care a bit nearer home so that was easier but he's soooo sweet - we have always been cat people but francis really wanted a dog - before he grew up - in his words and I thought sod it, life's too short and all that - so we got Bobby, a tan/ginger lad, 14 wks old now, mutt but very handsome and brought him home, been hard work.....any advice for night times? He's not used to being on his own as he was with 9 other dogs inc his sister which he shared his crate with, he's crate trained and sleeps in there at night but howls and cries - I'd been going down to ssshhhhh him - no fuss etc but everyone inc the vet says to leave him - so we did last night and he carried on for about 40 mins then went to sleep - from about 11.30 till 6am then howled again, I got up and fed him once he went quiet for a minute.....is that the right thing??? Gennie???
Bobby sends big woofs to the other new dawgies xx mary x

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all...hurray the sun is beginning to shine. Its my birthday today and what I like about it is I was born in '55 and I am 55....that aint gonna happen again!!Cool huh...mmmmmmm suprising what little things please us eh!!
We are all going out to tea as a family...tradition thingy...
I've always wanted to go to the Chelsea flower show but OH tried this time, but no luck...so yesterday he got tickets for us to see the show gardens at Tatton Park in July....looking forward to that!

Val..I love the fact that they clapped your eulogy and others too. I felt like doing the exact same thing at the recent funeral I went to too...the eulogy was inspirational and deserved some acknowledgement.
{{hugs}}}

Nicky your poor little dog...hope he's out of pain very soon...
Theresa where is it you are going? And I hope your 'liver' pain has calmed down some....take care.

To everyone else have a good , hopefully warm day...

Oh Debs...forgot to say, although I hardly drink now, I have a small bottle of wine that my son brought me back from the wine regions in America...cant remember where... so I saved it for a special occasion...so guess what, todays that occasion....I cant ache anymore than what I did yesterday ...I overdid the walking and was on the sofa all day....it only has about 1 glass of wine in it, so should be fine.....what the heck!!!!!!!!!!

Helenxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Val {{{hugs}}} glad to hear that the funeral went as well as they can and that you managed to read your poem okay xxx

Nicky hope that your dog is okay x

Plan on making a start on the packing today...

Sending love to all - have read all the posts but my mind has gone blank as usual...

Theresa x

Eliza

[[[hugs]]], Val. Sounds like you managed the eulogy and poem well, and how beautifully symbolic that you should have the two pink roses open for J.

I think the tamoxifen has a lot to answer for, Linda, but you do seem to be losing weight steadily. Enjoy tomorrow morning!

How did you get on at the vet's, Nicky? And what has happened with your car, Theresa, did you get it into the garage?

The garment isn't yet ready for the next trying on, Helen. There are so many pieces, it is fully lined - so in effect made twice over - and has to be quite closely fitted. So it all takes rather a long time. The plan is for me to wear it for the first time at the August Bank Holiday event.

Hope you've done what you wanted to today, Carole. Good to hear that the wounds seem to be healing well.

I have some friends in Ipswich, Victoria, and my sister lived there briefly at one point. I too think it is a lovely place and really love that whole coastline from both land and sea sides. Then there are the magnificent Suffolk castles...

Eliza xx

horace

Well here I am-it went as things do.One surprise was when the congregation applauded the eulogy and readings[not just mine lol].I've never seen that in church before.My most tearful moment was when j's mum stopped on her way out of church and said,'Thank you.'We were late at the crem [sat nav took us down a cul de sac] but in time for me and a lady from bcpals to place some pink roses with the other flowers from those who only knew j in cyber space.
Its funny I had bought some pink roses so P and I could follow the bcpals tradition then late last night oh called me into the garden.There were just two open rose buds in my garden-two perfect pink roses-they were for jax of course.
Take care my loves,
valxx
PS NB my new avatar!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello storm riders

Sorry havent been about much. I have had a quick skim read through. Jacq and Carole, hope you are recovering well from your ops and Val, I really feel for you, losing your friend. I hope the funeral wasnt too much of an ordeal for you.

Just read your message Debs, I too am more or less teetotal nowadays. I say that but had a few on Sunday whilst we were up in Derbyshire. However, that was first drink in a couple of months
and thats the way it goes nowadays. I am not really bothered though as I know I drunk too much prior to bc diagnosis. Like many women nowadays, i was filling a large glass with wine to take the edge off the day. I know what you mean about eating, but having been on a diet for about six months, I am losing it but very slowly and this weekend when I did eat more than usual but honestly not that much, i put on 2.1/2 lbs. I am going to blame it on the tamoxofen...

Nicky, my dog has hip dysplasia (was born with it) We keep her on a strict diet and touch wood, we havent really had any painful episodes since we took her on (she was two and her owner died suddenly) Only trouble is she is permantly hungry..

Anyway, have a busy week. I need to start writing school reports sharpish. Also, have oncologist on Thursday and Dentist on Friday. Have manicure/pedicure booked for tomorrow morning though.....mmmmm

Still havent booked my holiday, we are considering Hungary now. Will let you know.

All the best
Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm sure I typed a message yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be there so I must've typed it but not pushed "submit" :o(

Ah well, first & foremost, let me join in the good wishes to Val for today. I'm sure you'll do your friend proud and that your words will bring tears to many eyes, not just your own. I don't think there's more disbelief I can add to your hat shopping experience though ...

Jacq, I hope that keeping the door locked means that you've been able to rest properly and have been able to start on the road to recovery. Blimey Rosie, Milan on business - how fab. I hope you had some time to enjoy your surroundings (hopefully your mention of Italian beer means that was a yes!) Helen, Whitby sounds like a hit - I never mind the temperature so long as it stays dry, in fact cooler temperatures when doing lots of walking is always preferred. Gosh you were brave to go up in the viewing tower Di, I'm impressed that you were able to overcome the fear as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to. Victoria, your weekend away sounds wonderful, I hope it made your birthday all the more special. Fingers crossed on the car front Theresa, but as for giving up the alcohol, obviously nothing less than the hugest of hugs to you m'dear. Helen, just read you're another who's given up the alcohol - what a swine. Bloody treatment makes us lose interest in sex, leaves us unable to drink booze and makes us overeat - its surprising that we're not really bloody grumpy! Blimey Carole, you're certainly making rapid progress - dead impressed with you planning to tackle the filing, except that it makes me feel guilty about mine (again!) Nicky, so very sorry to hear about your poor dog's suffering. I do hope that the vets step up to the plate tonight and gives you proper answers.

Well, my weekend did (eventually) improve after a day spent in bed, although not until after the half a day spent on the phone talking to my male best friend who sounds like he's about to be dumped (again) which led to his having a full-blown meltdown. He's a very robust guy normally and is usually the one handling my emotional wobbles, so I was more than willing to be holding his hand for a change. I did manage to see my bloke for a short while before he dashed off to Liverpool to see his best friend playing drums at the Cavern. I admit I'm looking forward to seeing my guy play drums next weekend. He's out of practice and so is very nervous (not just as its the first time I'll see him play) as its a band he hasn't played with in ages (he's providing cover for a friend) and some of the playlist is completely unknown to him. I'm teasing him that all the stuff he doesn't know is C&W and, as he's an old rocker, he's a bit horrified at what he'll be playing!

Anyway, I'm trying not to mention the lack of sunshine and how cold it is now that I've turned the heating off ... brrrrrr!

Debs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

First of all glad to see that both Carole and Jacq are home safe and sound. Hope that you're both taking care of yourselves and not trying to do too much.
Val - thinking of you today.
Also belated Happy Birthday to both Victoria and Clare.
Theresa I'm glad that your worry was for "nothing". Hope that the inflammation settles.
Lovely news on the new dogs. The past week has been a bit traumatic for ours. He had X-rays on Weds and although he was there all day, they didn't do them until mid afternoon and then said he probably wouldn't be able to come home that night because of recovering from the anaesthetic! He did come home but was not our normal happy dog. He was i obvious pain and didn't want to know us. Then we read the report - no sign of hip dysplasia and all joints normal - despite hip dysplasia being seen on x-ray on 2 previous sets of x-ray. Thursday he just lay whimpering and didn't want to move. Friday I took him to physio but he was in so much pain that the physio couldn't do anything. He said that if the dog had been any other temperament he'd have been bitten. Then he seemed to have bladder retention as he then didn't wee again until Saturday night. I really thought that he had spinal damage.We've dosed him up on Tramadol and yesterday he was more our usual dog. Going to the vets tonight and I want some answers.
I spent the weekend in Liverpool(my phone bill will be enormous after constant calls home to see how the dog was) and went to see Cirque du Soleil. It was incredible with so much going on that you couldn't see it all. Our hotel was in the Albert Docks so was close to the arena and lots of other things to do. I'd never been to Liverpool before but I will certainly be back. It also showed me just how much better I am even from when I went to London in Februry.
Sal and Di I must find your links to your Race for life sponsorship. I've just done my entry and will be doing it on 18th July - walking not running.
Take care all. Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Belated happy birthdays to Victoria and Clare and hope you enjoyed your days. Congrats too to Jacq on escaping the NHS nearly as quickly as Carole !Hope that you are both continuing to heal well.Sorry to hear about your extra pain Theresa, and hope it's easing.
There are times when I wish I had another dog - maybe when I've escaped work ?
A mixed weekend with the weather but did manage to plant out a few of the bedding plants from the "conservatory" - unfortunately was "done" again by the evil little bug(***)s that live down the garden - so evil that not even Jungle Formula is effective.
Gennie, what did you think of Joe Bonamassa ? I saw him a while ago, and also had a ticket for his Albert Hall gig last year - unfortunately BC prevented me going, but the guy who bought my ticket said he was really good.I thought he had got a bit glitzy since last time, but his ability is amazing - I particularly liked the acoustic almost classical Spanish number. Did Sandi Thom play support in London ? She did at the NIA in Brum and I thought her voice was amazing.
Yet again I'm writing this at work, so time must be up - best wishes to all, and hope that the funeral goes off well , Val
Ros xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all...Carole...think you have the right idea about sorting your plans and ideas out into 'steps'...then you can tick them off as you achieve them...it makes your head more 'organised' too. You go girl!!!

Val...thinking of you and Js family today...love and {{{hugs}}}
Victoria ...enjoyed reading about the places you went to. Its great to collect memories and 'do' the things you've always wanted to.

Theresa...I've hardly had a drink all year...even at the SRs meets. Before everything happened last year...anything I drank used to make my bones ache alot in the morning...so now one drink does the same, with the added SE of arimidex, it gets painful. I hope your liver sorts itself over the next few months and eases off with the pain its giving you....have you got an appointment with your gp soon?

Di where is Tyntsfield? How is the dog training sessions going? Are they a bit 'woof' (rough) going sometimes hehehehe

How is school working out for you Sheila? Much better I hope!!Stick to your guns and do only the amount of work you should do....mmmmmm not easy though is it!
Is the dress finished yet Eliza...it must be worth the wait you've had...bet you can't wait to wear it!!

Sal good luck with the run for life ...has that come around already, such a lot has happened....proud of you for running it...will look your sponsor page up...

Di good luck with your run/walk too...I think I sponsored you earlier.

Gennie hope your hol has been as relaxing as poss...considering its half term!!

Hi to all...have a good day

Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all.

Val, hugs of support for today. You'll do great.

Wounds healing fine as far as I can tell. Quiet weekend here. Got some rain at last today. Far too dry for the veg plot recently.

This week, now that the brain is defuzzed from the op, I'm going to get my head round what I want to achieve by the end of this year and get on with it. Time to step up to the plate and get my life organised. Too many plans just muddling around, partially started, not started at all. Think I might start with some filing and a good week's work catch up. 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Victoria your posts on your trips are always so amazing...:D You always seem to manage to get so much out of every day you have 😄

Nigel is trying to get the car booked into a garage... it suddenly started playing up last week... Hope it is easily sorted as we need it to get Molly to the kennels on Thursday especially as they are out in the countryside...

Val - sending you loads of love for today and hope reading the poem goes well... xxx

Helen I've been reading up on livers and tamoxifen and it all sounds very daunting...:( But will check with my gp when I see her just how bad mine is / whether there is any sign of permanent damage... At the moment though I think I am going to be teetotal for life, mine hasn't been caused by alcohol but it seems any alcohol is a really bad idea now it has reached the painful stage.

Theresa x

brightlight28

Good evening SRs,
Thank you for the birthday wishes – I had a good day overall and went to Suffolk as I mentioned, and still here for another day.
We are staying in Ipswich - a lovely city full of carved stone buildings and historical connections. It was the birth for example of Thomas Wolsey and was the centre of the wool trade. The soft green countryside, villages with half-timbered buildings and atmospheric seaside towns are certainly helping to take my mind off things at work and the bc.

When I first became ill, one of the things I did was to write up a list of places that I hoped to see at least once (or once again) in my life time, and the Suffolk coastline was one of them. I particularly like Aldeburgh, first staying there in a creaky old guesthouse as a child that has since been pulled down. We plan to go there tomorrow before returning home.

So far on this trip I’ve been to Hadleigh which is a market town distinguished by its many brightly coloured buildings: OH spent a long time in what must be the largest hardware store I have ever seen, whilst I went off to look at the churchyard (I love reading gravestones) and a second-hand bookshop. There are one or two titles I have been looking for over many years that are long out of print – so I make a point of looking for these where I can. On the subject though of tracking things down from the past, I have finally managed to buy a DVD of an old television series I saw briefly as a teenager which was broadcast in the early 1980s called West Country Tales. These were based on true stories that viewers sent into the BBC who then commissioned the series. The episodes all have a folklore theme, and are minimally shot with a narrator and only one or two actors. They remind me of the stark ghost stories for Christmas sometimes shown on tv (notably those based on M.R James’ writing).

Yesterday the weather was fairly sunny and we went to Felixstowe. I wasn’t sure it would be a wise choice before we set off – half imagining it might be rundown, in a depressing way like many of the old resorts, but I actually quite liked it. There were donkey rides, coastal gardens, and rows of colourful beach huts along the esplanade with names like the HMS Titanic and Summer Place. I knew that such structures in trendy places like Whitstable command high prices – but was still surprised to see that a small beach hut for sale in the less than fashionable Felixstowe was on the market for £11,000.

Today we went to Woodbridge which I loved. We walked along the meandering river Deben which opens onto the sea. There were flocks of Canada Geese coming in to land on the water and a flotilla of swans at one point. We walked as far as two bends in the river and the small green sailing boat that was my target. I am not sure how far it was possible to walk, as far as the sea I imagine, and into the woods. The place seemed prosperous with its own yacht club which together with the prevalence of weatherboard buildings reminded me of small New England towns by the coast, the kind with interesting seafaring histories and houses built by sea captains from the 19th century and before.

We went inside the Tide Mill, the last surviving one of its kind in England, and climbed the two storeys, though had to come down backwards because the stairs were so steep. After visiting the mill and watching a public information film made about it by Shell in the 1950s we went to the Waterfront cafe situated opposite and I ate the best fish soup ever, far better than any posh bouillabaisse. It was properly fishy with plenty of salmon and trout pieces in a spicy tomato broth.

Carole and Jacqui – I hope you are resting and beginning to recover.

Theresa, such a relief about the scans but hope the pain ceases quickly.

I hope everyone going away on a break has had a good time.

Happy birthday Claire for yesterday - glad you enjoyed the steam museum.

Di, I've read about that house, a place a really want to visit. It sounds even better after you have written about it. I too have a fear of heights by the way so you wouldn't catch me going up any towers!

Victoria xxxxxxx

scottishlass

Hi Val Just to say I too will be thinking about you tomorrow and hope you manage to get through the day without too much upset. Hugs to you, from the othere Val XX

Eliza

Sounds like a highly successful conference all round, Rosie.

Hope you have managed to hide away from too many visitors, Jacq. While it is good to know that people are thinking of you, it is rest that you really need. How are you doing, Carole?

The house sounds wonderful, Di. I think that the National Trust specialise in preserving places as they are when taken on as I remember one I saw many years ago when they had just taken it on and were taking that approach. That is several of us who are not too good with heights!

Glad to hear that you're getting your money's worth from English Heritage, Helen. Good timing with the rain by the sounds of it.

Val, I'll be thinking of you, J and her family tomorrow.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Glad you had a good time away Helen, it sounded an ideal break, I love Castles too.
Our trip to Tyntesfield was really interesting. It was good practice for The Race for Life with all the walking we did.

The house is a huge Gothic style mansion which The National Trust managed to buy in 2002 despite huge competition. I'm so glad they did, it is being preserved as it was found so all the changes made to it over the years have been left, they are not restoring it to it's original state but conserving what they found. This meant seeing modern items like a TV and a microwave alongside all the antique items. Walking in I felt like I'd walked onto a set of The Adams Family, it was so Gothic. They were a family that didn't throw anything away so it was a real time warp, I'm nosey by nature so love looking around places like this! We had one funny moment, we queued for 40 minutes to get into the house, only to find we were in the queue to go up the roof tower - they only let a few at a time up. For someone that is scared of heights it wouldn't have been my choice but we were halfway up before we realised what queue we'd been in!!
There was no turning back so on we went and I just held on tight to the rails.

Another walk today in preparation for Saturday week - I do have a page for sponsoring if anyone would like to but I completely understand that most people already know someone doing a Race.

Hope you had a lovely birthday Clare. Will be thinking of you Val and hope the funerals go as well as they can. Hope everyone else is going on okay and has enjoyed their Bank Holiday. Di xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all...we had a lovely time in Whitby. It was cold and the sun went in and out, but it didn't rain until we were on our way home. We walked...lots!!!I slept in the afternoons! We went to see the abbey and OH decided that we should become members of English Heritage....we like to view castles and houses so it made sense! We got temporary cards to get in free....so we stopped off at pickering castle on our way home!!Getting our moneys worth already hehehe

Val (TOO) ...will be thinking of you tomorrow..((big hugs))
OOOhhh Theresa...painful scan, but glad the diagnosis isnt anything sinister...its suprising what we are grateful for these days!

Happy birthday Clare...glad you enjoyed yourself...and are feeling better within yourself...enjoy the twins tomorrow!

Wow Rosie it sounds like you had a fruitful trip...bit of a boffin is our Rosie! Never been to Milan..an interesting place to have a conference though!

Jacq it sounds like the op went well...hope you are recovering ok. Good idea about locking the door for a day or so!!
Carole hope your wound is healing nicely . And a new storm dog..Mia..love the name, she sounds like shes going to keep you well excercised missus...

Sal a new storm dog for you is in the offing too...I think your little dog will have to move fast to keep up with you!!!

Looking forward to your 'report' Di...are you going to post a new picture then...?
Debs it sounds like the 'big sleep' was the way to go for you. Your body knows best hehehe

Hi to everyone else...have a warm if not hot day ...fingers crossed.

Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes. Had a lovely day, went to a steam museum, then called to see Mum and Dad. Daughter and grand-daughters coming for lunch tomorrow.

Glad the trip went well Rosie.

Thinking of you Val, especially for tomorrow.

Love and Hugs to all

Clare X