cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

I’m glad you had a good weekend Victoria, the Cotswolds is a lovely area. Shame about work though. What is it about managers who think they are doing a good job by imposing change without a moment’s consideration for other people? If only they’d talk to the people affected beforehand they might be able to get them on board when the change comes, rather than antagonising them. You really don’t need the extra work at this time.

I feel for you Jacq, has she turned into bridezilla?

Have a great holiday Eliza. Is it Italy, or did I dream that? Glad your friend had good news.

Nicky 3.5lbs is great. Sorry about Buddy. Is there any way to help him?

How are you feeling Di, after the race for life? I hope you’ve recovered. I’m knackered. DH took Polo for a walk on Saturday afternoon and came hobbling back in agony. He’s been having trouble with his knee for a couple of years and last year they decided he had osteo arthritis. He’s been having cortisone injections which have helped a bit, but the last one about 6 weeks ago seemed to make things worse. So last night he went to the GP and she thinks he has torn something and it’ll probably need surgery. Soooo, not only did I do the race for life on Sunday, I walked Polo twice and have done two quite long walks a day since then. And I think it’ll be that way for the indefinite future. Just when we thought it was ok to go back in the water……..

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying this lovely weather.

Eliza

I too remember the Penelope Lively book, Victoria. The Rollright Stones are well worth a visit.

Val, I love Burford and some years ago a friend and I were regularly passing through it. We usually stopped for lunch or supper at what I suspect may be "your" pub.

My friend who was diagnosed with endometrial cancer had the results of her scans today and it looks like it is confined to the small area they found. It is an aggressive type so she is waiting to hear just how they will be treating it, but today was her first good news.

Right, I''d better get on with some packing. Thanks for the holiday wishes. I'm really looking forward to it as it will be my first proper holiday since dx as the one in May last year was just 4 days.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

scottishlass

Hi Victoria, I love the Cotswolds too and have spent many holiday breaks there while touring with the caravan. I have been to the towns you have mentioned and another of my favourites is Burford, the town on a hill where we go to a lovely little pub with beautiful gardens that produces beautiful lunches or sandwiches. I also like Chipping Norton and had a fabulous Chinese meal in Whitney. It is indeed a lovely part of the country.
Congratulations Nicky on your weight loss. That is a great amount to lose. I haven't weighed myself for ages but I know my trousers have room to spare now.....so that is enough for me. My difficult area is my stomach and it is definately flatter!
Glad that you have had an extended birthday Helen. Hope you have been spoiled rotten!
To everyone else, I keep following your posts. I am not ignoring any of you and glad that so many are doing well. Gentle hugs to those who are not so well. Love Val

brightlight28

Good evening SRs,

Thanks very much for the advice about the beta blockers I'm seeing the HRT doctor again soon so I'll ask about the possibility of taking them in place of the Clonodine which isn't working.

Good luck with taking your pupils away on a trip Linda, I do admire your resilience and dedication.

Val, love the idea of a long holiday staying in a caravan, and pleased you are so far in a better state healthwise this year year than the last one.

Sandra, NYC is an incredible place and so pleased you had a good time. Washington I thought was historic, but lacked the neighbourhood charm on the one hand and sheer glamour on the other of New York. We normally stay in Queens to save money, but even better if you have someone to stay with there.

Poor Buddy, must have missed his bone problem before - hope things can improve for him.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend with your mother Eliza.

Glad you are still enjoying your birthday Helen!

Seem to have remembered some of the SR posts afterall... nothing like writing here in terms of exercising memory recall!

All was reasonably good with me until going into work today. We had a nice break in the Cotswolds..

We stayed in Moreton in Marsh in the North of the Cotswolds, not far from Stow on the Wold and Bourton on the Water. Moreton is a pretty place with a typical high street of honey coloured brick buildings that is the common look of the area. I liked Moreton especially in the evenings, when the place takes on a really peaceful feeling, once the day trippers have gone home. Moreton used to be a curfew town and the bell is still there as a reminder, at the top of a belltower. This may well have been one of the features of Moreton along with the pretty buildings that apparently inspired J R R Tolkien to make reference to Moreton in Lord of the Rings. He stayed frequently in one of the 17th coaching inns along the high street – just a few doors along from where we stayed at the Old Bell.

My favourite pursuit of the weekend by far though was not reading Tolkien, but was the less edifying pursuit of feeding the Moreton ducks, two loaves per night bought from the local grocers. We almost cleared the shelf of loaves during our stay!

On Saturday we went to Cirencester, its street pattern is like the four arms of the cross. There was a wedding taking place in the parish church in the centre, and we had to wait until after the service had completed before looking inside. There did not seem to be any particular features of note in the church, except for the stone fan vaulted ceiling and elaborately carved font. The tower though on the outside does dominate the landscape.

Cirencester, has lots of lovely homes and gardens shops and we bought some blue and white cushions for the sitting room. They are a Danish design which OH likes.

Yesterday we went to Stow on the Wold. Wold is the word for a woodland apparently, rather than a river which I’d assumed before visiting there. I loved Huffkins bakery which makes amazing bread – the artisan kind (and too good for ducks), and the tea room attached reminded me quite a lot of the Betty’s chain in Yorkshire. I had some cinnamon toast there, not had that in years..

We are planning another trip to the Cotswolds soon and reading about the area, I'd quite like to go to go and see the prehistoric Rollright stones, a stone circle, that is meant to have magical properties and inspired Penelope Lively's Whispering Knights book that I remember from my childhood.

So it was back to work this morning. A bit too tired to write about it now - but things were very difficult today, with one person making team changes without speaking to those who would be affected. Effectively I've had my best assistant taken away to do other work, and been given extra tasks to do myself with less support. I'm going to say something about it tomorrow, but find this sort of thing far more difficult these days, due to impaired cognitive function. Essentially I feel put upon.

Wishing everyone well.

Victoria xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Di and Sal. Looks like you had better weather there than we did here Di. Loved the piccies.
The weather here was awful yesterday afternoon. I felt so sorry for all the people who had paid to go to the airshow. From what we have heard the red arrows had to cancel as the cloud base was too low.
Just back from my exercise class. Much happier this week with a 3.5lb weight loss. I had run out of tamoxifen at the caravan yesterday so missed last nights dose. It is incredible how much easier the class felt today - coincidence? Even so it's not something I will be making a habit of.
Have a wonderful holiday Eliza, and you too Val. Paid the balance on ours today so that makes it feel a bit closer.
I went to the vets today to have a look at buddys x-rays. As my vet said whoever reported his hips as normal needs spectacles! Both hips are deformed, one is virtually dislocated. The arthritis is quite visible in his spine too. No wonder there are times he doesn't want to go for a walk!
Nicky xx

Eliza

Hello all. I've been spending the weekend with my mother and it looks like there is a lot to catch up on!

Good to hear that you are making your birthday last, Helen. I'm planning to do the same - already started, in fact!

Congratulations to the Race for Lifers.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday, Val, and that you enjoy the planning too. I will be off on Wednesday, Sal. Taking my new toy with me so will be staying in touch with family and friends. Sounds like you had a lovely time, Sandra.

Di, I remember doing some online research myself and finding my own name come up! That was really peculiar.

Hope you got all the reports done, Linda. I know this is a very busy time for you but hopefully you too will be on holiday soon.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Helen, you are having the longest birthday ever - well done you!!

Linda, my sister was doing reports on and off all weekend so can sympathise - can't believe the amount of paperwork you teachers have to do.

Off to the Lymphomaniacs clinic today, no doubt to get told off for not wearing my compression (aka torture) corset!

Jackie you do make me laugh!

Love to all with or without appointments and hope you're going on okay Carole, Di xxx

notyetinthebox

Morning lovelies! Blimey, Helen, you're stringing those celebrations out, eh? .... good girl! Hope everyone's doing ok and glad you had a good holiday, Sandra.

And many, many congratulations to Di and Sandra - you're a fine example to all us couch potatoes.

Not been on here much, due to impending doom (daughter's wedding). Seriously, who in their right mind invented these *@*@ing things? Seven more weeks of serious stress - I kid you not. She's like you, Linda, trying to write reports, mark SAT's and disorganise her wedding. Not a single invite has gone out yet! Definitely leaving a ladder up the window for the youngest!

Well, I'm off to try and untangle 'some' bushes and weeds, as the clouds seems to be doing their best to cover the yellow blob.

Much love, xxJacqxx.

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all....Hey there Sandra sounds like you had a fab holiday. I found NY too too hot and enclosed for me...but so much to see! And you're straight back to the scone mobile....just think you may have started a trend in scones in the good old USA....

Val (sl) ... sounds like things are on the up for you, always a good thing...hope the weather holds out for you in July for your camping trip..

Sal and Di...well what a 'cool' pair of SRs...you both did the race for life ...well done. Does'nt matter if its run or walked or both, you did it and I bet you had a great sense of achievement!! Big applause for you both!!! Love the pics Di.....

Linda...what a game lass you are...camping with so many youngsters!!!
You'll need a week to recover!! Hope the weather holds out for you too.

Hi to everyone else...especially those with appts, wound dressings and to the lympho girls especially your newest member...Ros 8-)

I had a busy but nice belated birthday on Friday evening....me,my friends and sister did non-stop chat!!....for hours!!! tiring eh!!

have a good day all
Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls,

Still doing the reports, five more to do and have been typing all day long. Its trying to personalise each one in each subject that takes all the time. Thanks for all your comments about the shoulder. It could have a number of causes I think especialy the fact that i am lopsided. Also sitting at the computer for hours at a stretch as I have for the past couple of weeks cant help. I havent got the time to go to the doctors this week, have a school trip weds to fri, off camping in the woods. So will have to see how i feel next week.

welcome back all those who have come back from holidays, still waiting to book mine. Hope you feel in better spirit soon Val, we all have our lows now and again dont we? and you have better reason than most.

Anyway flying visit. Try to pop in before i go to the wilds with 35
9 and 10 year olds.

All the best
Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Welcome back Sandra. Glad you had a great time. We loved NY, but it was freezing when we were there (March). I’m sure the yanks would call your scones biscuits – weird lot that they are;-) Hope you’ve had a rest today and that your arm is feeling better.

Di, you made me laugh with your ghoul remark. I always think I walk like a penguin when I get up in the morning, but ghoul is probably better. Lol. What time is your race for life tomorrow? Mine’s 11am, we’ll probably be doing it at the same time. Hope you get on ok. Thanks to those who’ve sponsored me – much appreciated. Can’t see me running it all this year, I just haven’t been able to catch up with the training since my ooph.

Sorry you’ve joined the lymphomaniacs Ros, but it’s good you’ve caught it early. Glad you and Rosie had a good day today.

Linda, hope you’ve finished the marking. Shoulders seem to be a recurring issue on here. Mine just seems really weak at the moment – even weaker than usual, which is not good. I think I’m going to have to get back to the strengthening exercises. It never ends does it? Lymphatic drainage massage, shoulder exercises, pelvic floor exercises – it’s a wonder we get time to do anything else!

Victoria, my GP said that if Clonidine doesn’t work, you can try low dose beta blockers. It’s worth thinking about. I must say though, since the ooph, mine aren’t so bad, so I’m sure Zoladex makes them worse. Hope you have a great time in the Cotswolds.

Glad you’re feeling good SL Val. I hope the weather in Cornwall is kind to you.

Are you going away soon Eliza?

scottishlass

Hi Everyone, I have been following your posts although not posting much myself. All is well with me. Saw Consultant 2 weeks ago and she told to enjoy the summer and will see me in September again! But I was oddly a bit low after seeing her. Now I am feeling much better and on a high if anything. Husband been ill with chest infection. Now daughter has it. Today my Dad floored with it so I took my Mum out for the day and she had a ball shopping for the first time this year! Have booked our camping holiday and heading for Cornwall for nearly all of July!....Fingers crossed nothing crops up to spoil it. Love keeping in touch with you all and reading how you are all doing. I may be silent for some of the time but I am in the background keeping an eye on you all..... Love to you all, Love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Crumbs, must be first time in history I've been the first post of the day on here! Combination of nice weather/gardening/hols etc rather than any attacks of Black canyon-itis I trust...

Welcome back Sandra, have you had any requests for scones with a St Georges' flag emblem on yet?!

Just back from a lovely day visiting Ros - had a seriously b-i-g lunch at a canalside pub and a womble around the village, plus played with the computer, talked gardening and generally put the world to rights. Thanks Tumbleweed!

Rosie/Calam xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad that you had a good hol Sandra and glad that your sunburn didn't do too much damage. I have plenty of factor 50 in stock for my hols - Turkey in August, I think I'll need it.
Di I do wnt to sponsor you. I'll have a hunt through my e-mails.
Linda I have been having problems with my right shoulder for about 3-4 weeks too and read the same post you did. However I had problems with my left shoulder due to an underlying bony abnormality a few years ago and my surgeon warned me that I'd probaably get it in my right too. It hasn't felt the same as the other one but my aggravating factors suggest that it is the same problem. My friends at work have had a look at it and I'm doing my exercises like a good girl. Dare i say it,like last time they're not doing a lot of good. It was one of the things I wanted to talk to my onc about. Still no news on a replacement appt.
I went to see Hairspray last night with Brian Conley as Edna Turnblad. Les Dennis was supposed to be Wilbur Turnblad but it was his understudy. It was brilliant. At one point Brian Conley and the understudy couldn't carry on due to fits of the giggles and the whole theatre joined in. Then Brian Conley lost a shoe and had to hop across the stage. If it comes to a theatre near you I'd really recommend it.
It's a major air show here on Sunday. We thought that the site would be packed this weekend but thankfully it's really quiet. I wonder if the world cup has anything to do with it.
Have a good weekend all.
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Whoop whoop ! I'm back ! Super duper hol but am a bit tired out as was straight into the baking yesterday and at the market today,early night for me methinks. If you havn't been to Washington or New York I would hugely recommend both,Washington is lovely and stuffed with monuments and museums and New York is just mental,but in a nice way ! We were just down from Maceys and within walking distance of Times Square and Broadway. Did soooooooo much sightseeing ,it was fantastic but ooh the heat .... hmm don't think my lymphoedema nurse going to be too pleased to see me Tuesday , I stupidly missed applying the factor 50 to the top of my bad arm...oooops ....it was so hot the skin that was exposed blistered, ouchey ouch, but took all my antibiotics just in case and it hasn't swelled up or anything and just looks a bit red now so hopefully will be ok.

Made some scones for my friend that we were staying with so now my baking is international !

Whooping it up for your results Carole, and big positive vibes for all going through various things at the mo.

Wow you have been a busy lot and what is with the pack of new dogs,aww, the pics up are lovely.

Hope all those going on hols soon have as a great time that I had,remember the factor 50 and double apply ! It worked great apart from my little mishap.

Looks like rain here Sunday and am quite happy as means I don't have to bake tomorrow and will get a lie in Sunday,hurrah !

Big hugs to all and I am offski to bed before I fall zzzzzzz at the keyboard,will be a bit more with it once I have caught up withmy sleep.

love and stars and stripes

Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Have a great week-end in the Cotswolds Victoria, I love that area too. My great-grandma was born in Farncombe when her father was a coachman in a large house. The house is still there and we able to see the outside when we wnet a cople of years ago.

Lots of good wishes to those doing the race for life.

Helen enjoy your extended Birthday celebrations.

Linda - sorry you have new worries ((hugs)).

Lizzie - don't worry abour not posting often, we know you are with us in spirit, just as we are for you.

Love and Hugs to all

Clare X

Guest user
Not applicable

Good morning all...wow such a lot of chatter going on...and whats that outside daring to peek its head around the clouds...ha its the, er, the ...er darn it cant remember what its called now...hey ho!....SUN!!!! yep thats it hehehehe

So much going on as per usual...so just a small post to say well done Sheila with the 'no wig' ...the kids will get used to it quickly, they are so adaptable!
Victoria, Di and Linda hope your aches and pains get sorted and your worries disappear..if not completely then at least a bit!!
Hey Lizzie..its hard to let them go...especially when they are miles away and you cant be there in an hour or so...but he'll be back before you know it..full of his adventures (boring or otherwise) guess its part of the life experience eh!

Hello all you new storm dogs out there...look after your SRs and make sure you keep them trained real well.....ie feed, water and walk you as and when you want...ha not got a dog so I can say that!!
:-)Oh and you storm cats too!!!!

Got my friend from school coming this afternoon and some friends and my sister coming this evening for a belated birthday do...I like when it goes on longer than a day hehehe

take care all have a nice weekend.

Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all,

Sheila, my hair came back definitely grey, but has weirdly changed colour as it's grown and is now a light brown, I tried a colour on it but it didn't work so will leave it a couple of months and try again.

Yes Eliza, I had a new appointment come through yesterday, for next Monday so not long thankfully. I was researching traditional crafts recently and amongst my internet wanderings guess what came up - your name!!! It was with refernece to your textile book I believe - I was sooo excited!

Linda, I hope you get your shoulder seen to soon, I had the same problem wich after x-rays and physio etc it seems it is a nerve problem so I'm waiting to see the surgeon n the 13th. I hope yours proves to be the same but it is a painful thing isn't it? At least it gets me out of the hoovering 🙂

Have a lovely weekend away Victoria, look forward to your travel diary! I bought a Japanese style fan for the hot flushes - works a treat!

Have a great weekend all, Di xxx

Have a lovely day all and

brightlight28

Good evening SRs,

It is another busy week at work punctuated by a hospital appointment yesterday to have yet another assessment for suitability for bone strengthening drugs. I had blood taken a month ago and all levels of whatever it was that were measured were in the normal range except for vitamin D which was lower than it should be so I'm now on a Vitamin D and Calcium supplement. I'm having the actual infusion in a couple of weeks at another hospital and it is only an annual occurance which isn't too bad - though apparently the drugs can cause flu-like symptoms for a few days.

The hot flushes and then the cold ones are still driving me insane - at least I go back to the consultant soon and will be sure to say that no matter how much he increases the Clonodine, it is just not working!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to the conservatory - something I've always wanted and am sure it will make the currently small dark dining room a better size and light and airy.

We are going away for the weekend to the Cotswolds staying in Moreton in the Marsh.

Di, sorry I deleted my SR emails in mass deleting session. Could you PM me either here or through facebook and I'll sponsor you.

Linda, so sorry about your new worry - really hope the shoulder sorts itself out on its own soon. At least you only had a scan recently (if I remember right) and it was clear. I had a headache yesterday and thought the worst. It is just so hard isn't.

Sheila, well done on going wigless - it must be so liberating for you.

Thinking of you all.

Victoria xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello girls,

Sorry I havent been on but have been a buzy buzy bee (like you Lizzie). I am multi-tasking to the extreme at moment. Writing reports, sorting out stuff for a school trip next week (away camping for two and half days), sorting out stuff for another school trip with the school council. Putting lots of stuff in boxes because we are getting the back room decorated. Oh and I forget, I know I am definitely dropping balls bigtime.

great news Carole and pleased to hear no wig Sheila, now that was a great feeling. Oh and by the way my hair came through beige. Looked revolting and dyed it first opportunity. Roz welcome to lymphos anonymous. Mine looks normal now. Only wear the sleeve when i am doing anything strenuous and have regular massages. This seems to work. Eliza, even in the heat Friday, no swell up so I am pleased.

I have a slight worry at moment. I have had a very achey shoulder for a couple of weeks which is not getting any better - pain radiates down my right arm. This is also the arm where the chemo was put so the veins can ache sometimes anyway. Saw on one of the threads here that pain in right shoulder can be a sign of mets. I am not panicking yet girls, but have emailed bcn for advice. Will let you know. It never ends does it? Sal, my forebone and shin were very bad a few weeks ago which is why I had the bone scan. i am still on tamoxofen. Those pains seem to improve with good weather.

Anyway, better get back to boxing up stuff then i have 30 numeracy books to mark. AAAARhhhhh

Linda

Eliza

Good evening, everyone.

Great news that are now wig free Sheila, and hopefully it will be growing well now.

Hi Lizzie, I always copy what I've typed before I hit Submit. You're bound to worry about Jack but no doubt he will have a wonderful time.

Hope you get a replacement appointment through soon, Nicky. You too, Ros with your plastic surgeon appointment.

Have you got another lined up for the lymphodema clinic, Di? I was at our local support group last night and all those with lymphodema think that the hot weather has been making the swelling worse.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow's scan, Clare.

How is the work on the chapter going, Rosie?

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Nicky, have emailed the sponsor page to the SR but I know a lot are already sponsoring others so please don't feel obliged.

Ros, laugh at you Shar Pei, I wasn't on the weekend but can guess what you mean - I have 2 sausage dogs either side of my scar!

Hugs to all, Di xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Di please could you PM me your link for sponsorship fpr the race for life. I've lost it amongst all other posts.
Gennie a friend of mine had a dog with the same taste for poo as Lily. She was told to feed him fresh pineapple which makes the poo less appealing. It did seem to work.
Sorry about the lovely sleeve Ros. Hope that your arm settles and its not too hot for your Race for Life. Hopefully you'll get another lymph appt through soon.
Nicky xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad to hear that you won't have to endure chemo, Carole - but how bad is it when we consider that surgery is a let-off ?
I still haven't heard from the plastic surgeon so I continue to carry a miniature Sha-Pei on my chest (Springhill girls will know what I'm alluding to )
I am however now an official member of Lymphomaniacs Anonymous, and had my first appointment at the clinic - she said we've caught it early enough to need only a light-duty sleeve, but it's still that lovely shade of tan and certainly wouldn't serve as a man-magnet.
By the way 2 of you have got me mixed up with Rosie Womble - she's the academic one, not me !
The best to all - Ros xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning all,

Hope all those off on holiday jaunts are having a great time.

Fandabidozee news from you Carole, so pleased you don't have to do the chemo cr@p again.

I had an appoinment cancelled this week too Nicky, for Lymphodema clinic not Onc but still a nuisance as I've got a lot of swelling which I'm not sure is down to the hot weather or me not being careful enough (probably the latter!)

Sal, I'm on Arimidex so different to you but get aches and pains all the time, thought it would have died down by now but still need help getting out of a chair if I've sat for too long, I think I walk like one of the ghouls in Michael Jackson's Thriller video sometimes when I can't bend!!

Helen, how are you - are you getting used to the idea of not teaching, I expect it will take a while after so many years? I'm sure there's something waiting round the corner for you.

Lizzie you are soooo busy, I hope you find some Me time now and again. I'm sure your boy will have the time of his life but yes - you're left to worry.

Hope all the new Storm Dogs are settling in, my two are crashed out and have me pinned into the corner of the sofa - yes I'm well trained!

Race for Life on Saturday so fingers crossed for good weather, there are 5 of us doing it together and one of them wants to walk slowly with me, I'm looking forward to the excitment of it all.

Take care everyone, Love Di xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Yabba dabba dooooooo! Steel kicks butt and escapes with the minimum fuss. So pleased for you Carole!!!

Polo is crashed out here now, with a towel he nicked and rolled around on beside him. Bless. Caught him in the garden this evening wearing a bag on his nose that DH had put some treats in.....not a treat in sight now!

Clare, I'm so glad you're feeling better and that you are getting your scan on Friday. It's right what you say - I have felt much better since the SEs of Zoladex have worn off and I didn't think I felt bad at all. You just get used to feeling that way. Just wish I could get rid of the stiffness etc. Can't get my wedding ring off or other rings on now, so my knuckles are obviously swollen. Does anyone else on AIs get pains in their bones? I'm getting odd spells of pain down my forearm and shin. They don't last long, but they are not pleasant.

Lizzie, Jack will be fine. Beth went round the world when she was 18 and had her 19th birthday in Melbourne. She was away 6 months and had a fantastic time. And with email etc it's very easy to keep in touch. And you are not honestly expecting a young lad to be organized are you?!! Come on now, that's way too much to ask. lol

Shame about the onc appt Nicky. Why can't they ever give you a time and then stick to it? I always seem to have them changed. Not by much but it seems such a waste of time.

Right off to catch up on Luther while the mutt is asleep.

Guest user
Not applicable

Carole, great results, sooooooo pleased to hear! 🐵 Sounds like you have your plan in mind and you just need to take the medical team along with you, but I have every confidence in you.

Clare, delighted to hear things are getting better, even if you've picked up more germs. Hope you will be better soon. Bestest doohdahs for the scan on Friday, I imagine there will be a growing swell of positive vibes for you this week.

I must admit that I'm with Sal on the Durkan diet Victoria, but then I've never been able to eat much in the way of meat protein and so found Atkins a complete disaster (I got progressively more shaky and wobbly over the weeks I tried it). But good luck with it and I do hope it works well for you. I've got to find something as I've suddenly put on a rush of weight (surely it can't be Tamoxifen already?) so need to get my arse back into gear on both the proper eating and exercise front. Well done on keeping the weight to an overall loss Nicky, especially when you were expecting a gain. Will try not to mention your new notebook - very envious though! Just noticed your Onc appt being postponed - how very annoying, but what great news on the hair!

Adorably long legs on Polo, Sal. Wondering how all the other new doggies are doing? Gen, your Lily sounds a typical lab - never had one myself but they're my daughter's ideal and I really can see why (poo eating excepted obviously!)

Congrats on being wig free Sheila, good time of year to be doing without (I am confident the summer will be back!) Good luck with book revisions Ros - deadline sounds tight, but maybe you're like me and need them like that! Lizzie, good luck with getting used to your son being away - it does get easier, I promise. At least with all this modern technology, its so much easier to stay in touch.

Right time to pop in to visit my parents on their wedding anniversary. Have a good evening lovely ladies.

Debs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Posted lots, and lost it!!

Just wanted to say - sorry been AWOL - not good enough to say it's 'cos I'm busy, I know - but I do think about you all - just struggling to get time for anything that isn't work. Very poor, but hols are looming - can't wait!

And have just seen the great news, Carole - I am so chuffed! Well done you, escaping the chemo - cannot tell you haw pleased I am for you! Will be having a wee drinkie in your honour later!

Jack is going off travelling for a month, round Europe on the trains - how panicky mother am I?! Tryin to get him to sort his stuff out and get organised is impossible - he is so laid back, he's horizontal! Will be hard to relax until he is back - I know you have to let them go - but, hell, it's hard!

Take care all - I will have a read and catch up - apologies for birthdays /landmarks missed - please don't take my SR badge off me!

Love
Lizzie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Fantastic news Carole.

Victoria - hope the treatment for your osteoporosis is OK.

Hi Shiels - great to hear from you.

Love to all

Clare X

smelltheroses

Glad you had a good time Nicky, let me know if you go again and we can meet for a coffee.

Good luck with the academic stuff Ros, it's as much as I can do these days to give the TES a cursory glance.. . .

Mary your dog sounds a lively bundle! Hope he brings much fun!

Sheila xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Grrrr... mutter mutter. Had a phone call from the hospital today to cancel my onc appt in a fortnight. A bit of a nuisance but not too bad. They then tell me that they're unable to give me another appt as the onc hasn't told them when appts will be available! This happened in November and I ended up not seeing him until Christmas Eve and that was only after a lot of phone calls nagging them that I still didn't have an appt. I can see the same happening again. Just as well I don't have any real worries.
Sheila I stayed at the Albert Dock when I was in Liverpool and went to see the Cirque Du Soleil at the Echo arena. They were fantastic and I loved Liverpool. We did manage to take in some of the sights but want to return as we barely scratched the surface.
Nicky xx
PS Has anyone noticed their hair changing colour? Mine came back very grey but recently I have definitely been getting more and more brown coming back through - yipeee!

Guest user
Not applicable

Delighted to hear that the Sherriff isn't going to be subjecting Steel to another period of baldness 8-)

Seems there are several of us with less-than-enthusiastic immune systems - my onc warned me that this can happen to some people, so making sure we avoid getting over-tired and over-stressed is pretty darned important, even for those who feel that things are 'almost' back to normal (or at least, the 'new normal')

Working hard at revising chapter of book, final version due in by end of this week, so keeping my head down.

Hugs to all
Rxxx

kittenkat

Carole - thats abs brilliant!!!!!!! ((((((hugs)))))) I was talking to Nicky yesterday about my onc appt a few weeks ago - I told him I was mithered as periods had come back etc so did that not mean that there was oestrogen etc about more and potentially bad?? His reply really reassured me.......

the oestrogen merely indicates the treatment of the tumour ie no point in hormone treatment if the tumour is hormone negative, it does not mean that the hormones caused the tumour!! I'd never thought of it like that.......

it made me feel better......

Bobby is a sweetie but bouncy and daft and scares the kids a bit so we're having to be very firm with him - second puppy class today bless him......how old is Lily Gen??

mary x

smelltheroses

Ooh Carole that is good news (well, by our standards anyway!!!!)only us storm riders would celebrate such news!!!!!! Thinking of you, hope it is plain sailing from now and you get what you want.

Clare, glad you are feeling better. I was brought down with cold and couldn't shake it off....... I think it was starting when we met in Manchester. Our bodies are not fighting fit yet, but it will come. Belated Happy Birthday as well!

And Helen, belated happies to you. xxx

Nicky, you say you were in Liverpool, my home! Glad you had a good time. What did you do and where did you go?

Been to Southport today with my sister and nieces, lunch tomorrow with the girlies from work and then back to school on Thursday.

Oh, and I am now wig free!!!!!! Hair is still short and I don't like it but the wig is gone. Will show myself to the assembled school on Thurs. Should be a 5 minute wonder with the kids......

Victoria, enjoy your conservatory and garden, the cons really will let the light in, I love mine and use it every day.

Well, just been on the phone for an hour and lost my thread.
Love to all

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eliza

Brilliant news, Carole! You're pretty marvelous yourself, you know! Hope you are enjoying your celebration and I think we are all celebrating with you in one way or another.

Also good to hear that you are starting to feel more like yourself, Clare.

The place in Norfolk where Springwatch is being filmed is where our August Bank Holiday event is held. It is wonderful to have the site to ourselves (well, there are quite a few of us!) first thing in the morning before the public arrive.

Sal, as helen say, Polo does look like he has VERY long legs!

I don't know of anywhere offhand, Val, but I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I find anywhere.

Love to all,
Eliza

Guest user
Not applicable

You're right, but they brought them forward for hols and such.

ooph booked in asap, but gotta get the mast done first.

Did I say, again, how marvellous you all are. Dealing with your own stuff, and still able to be here for the odd ball!

Love you all, really, really. 🙂

Gennie

Carole - I thought your results weren't til Friday? Glad you got them sooner though - particularly since they are so good!! Go you!! That's excellent news.

Letrazole is what I'm on (brand name is Femara). As my Onc says 'it's certainly not a smartie' but I've found the SE's better than the tamoxifen. However - maybe the fact that you didn't have many SE's was indicative of the tamox not working too well for you, in hindsight. Get that ooph booked in asap love! Ooh I'm chuffed for you, I really am.

Meanwhile - hello to all the lovely new Storm Dogs. Lily is growing fast now - she's not a cute little puppy any more, but a gangly teenager. She's all legs as well and very slim for a lab. If we can get her to stop eating her own poo and stop waking up at 5am for breakfast she'd be the ideal pooch!

Busy busy here as usual. I must dash, the boys are off out to Beaver Scouts in a minute.

notyetinthebox

Oh, bloody well done there, Carole! You'll have hair down to your bum soon! xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Fan..blooming..tastic!!!! Carole!! No chemo..YIPPEE!! You have a drink or five...you deserve to celebrate. Sounds like they are sorting out the MXs for you too. Beggar the tamoxifen..but like you say, its small and grade 1...so onto something different!
You go girl!!
Sorry Val...don't know of anywhere....
Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Carole that's fantastic news.Hope you enjoyed your glass of celebratory wine.
Clare glad that you're feeling better. Take care of the cold.
Val sorry can't help. Hope that you do find somewhere though. It sounds wonderful to have everyone together for Christmas.
Hope all is well with everyone else.
Nicky xx

horace

I dont suppose anyone knows of a big holiday home of some sort that might be available for 4/5days at Christmas for £2000 or less?We will be 10 adults and 7 children + a baby and it would be our first ever whole family Christmas.I cant find anything at all 😞
Love Valxxx

horace

WOW that is the best possible news Carole,I am so so pleased for you.
Live long and prosper as me old mate Spock would say.
Much love
Valxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Clare, good news. Mind at rest before you know it. Take something in your head in with you for your mind to do. I couldn't believe how hard it was to lie still for 25 minutes!

Polo is lovely Sal, what a gorgeous colour.

How's puppy love Mary? Bet he's already looking bigger. They grow up so fast. 😄

So, results today. Grade 1, 6mm, no spread. So no need for chemo. YEEHAA! I did impress on her that I would totally do chemo, but she said it would really be a touch of overkill. Suits me - where's the phone book till I make a hairdresser appointment. 🙂

So it can be treated just with rads, or by the mastectomy. Same stats in the longterm so it's just whatever gives me most peace of mind - bi-lateral it is. Should get it sometime over the summer.

Meanwhile - It's also ER+, which means the tamoxifen isn't working. It happens. However, it could be working a bit, which is why this is so small, slow growing, and Grade 1. That's what I think is happening. Staying on the tamoxifen until the GP gets in touch about Zoladex, and I'll be on letrazol? Is that right? Think that's what she said. I'll stay on those till the mastectomy is all done and dusted and we then schedule the ooph. Boy, do I have a big "I told you so" for my onc. "Tamoxifen is wonderful, you're not getting an ooph". Hah! 😄

Right, I know it's early, but I'm off for a No Chemo celebratory glass of wine with my mega health bean salad and crusty bread. YUM!

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon all...thats really good news Clare..and so right...not realising how tired and down you are ... I'm glad it is working out for you now, and you are over the snuffles. Great that you have the bone scan appt too..fingers crossed for the right result!

Sal..Polo is lovely and he does look to have loooonnng legs..oh my. Bet he can keep up with your running...did you say he's a 'lurcher'?

It's chucking it down here...I still think the sun will appear before the week is out....pleeeeeeze!

Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well - I'm slowly begiining to feel more like myself again. It's funny how I don't realise how bad I was until I start to feel better! But I could have done without the cold and cough that I've now developed - I've no idea where I got that from - grand-daughters may be, but they weren't snuffling, ah well.

My appt for a bone scan came through - it's on Friday, so I'm really hoping it is as the doctors feel, it is to put my mind at rest.

Love and hugs to all

Clare X

kittenkat

Sal - Polo is gorgeous!!! How old is he?? Nicky - glad you had alovely break xx Victoria - you'll love the conservatory!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Blow - forgot Springwatch! Have been watching some tree sparrow fledglings on our feedder at the van. They're as big as the parent but sit on top of the feeder demanding to be fed. At one point mum was sat on the perch and then the baby landed on top of her squawking to be fed. Don't know how it expected that to work!
xx
PS Polo looks lovely. Hope you have many happy years with him.

Guest user
Not applicable

Glad everyone’s appointments seem to be going well at the moment – a very welcome relief to one and all. And great news about the last Herceptin Rosie.

Victoria, that diet sounds dire. No way could I do the Atkins or anything like it. I just couldn’t stomach all that protein and no fruit and veg. If it’s what keeps Parisians slim, then maybe that’s why they’re so miserable. Lol. But good luck if you can do it. Glad you had a good weekend and a new conservatory sounds exciting.

Sounds like you had a good week Di. Are you working now? Hope it’s going ok.

You’re sounding very chipper Jacq and back to your normal self. And really pleased with the results – that’s great. Mine look ok with a bra on, but are totally different shapes without. In fact the operated side looks better than the other – it seems to have had a bit of a “lift”. Lol

Mary, loving the avatar – adorable!

As you can see, Polo has arrived! Picked him up on Saturday and he’s settled really well. He’s not nearly as nervous as everyone had thought. I suspect he just didn’t like the kennels. After all he had a very long journey from Dumfries, followed by being neutered soon after he arrived, so it’s hardly surprising. He followed me around constantly for 2 days and is hilarious in the garden with a squeaky toy. He’s got such long legs he reminds me of a gangly teenager. I sat on the patio on Saturday eating my breakfast before going to fetch him and watched four blue tit chicks fledge one after another from the box on the wall of the bungalow. My very own spring watch!

Glad you had a good time at the caravan Nicky. Half a pound is half a pound and as you say, not a gain.

Off to watch springwatch on the telly.

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening all. Back from a wonderful 10 days at the caravan - pity I still had to go to work whilst we were there.It felt like I was on holiday when I got back to the van though. Yesterday was the laziest day I've had in a long time and I feel so much better for it.
I've been to my weight loss/exercise class this evening. Lost 1/2 lb in 2 weeks! At least it wasn't a gain which is what I was expecting after such a wonderful weekend in Liverpool. I do struggle to keep up with the exercise though at times and my arm does feel a bit tighter at the end so I think that I will have to say something to the instructor next week.
Carole I don't know how you're keeping the dressings on that long. I was told 5 days and that I could shower if I turned my back to the spray.
Debs I can only repeat what the others aid about moisturising. I used aqueous all the way through then 99% aloe vera gel after rads had finished. I still moisturise at least daily as my onc told me off at one appt and told me that it needs extra moisturising for life.
Jacq glad to hear that you're feeling better.
Well I'm posting this on my new toy - a netbook. It's tiny and so much lighter than my laptop. Perfect for the caravan. It's also got about double the hard drive capacity. It's a very early birthday/Christmas present from my Dad. Of course I'm just testing that it works ok now. It was on special offer and just too good a bargain to walk away from.
Take care all.
Nicky xx

brightlight28

Good evening SRs,

Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh Sheila, it is certainly a fine city.

I hope the sun came out for you Helen, it did briefly in London though is now raining this evening.

Work was okay today though I came home early and had an hour's sleep. I was slightly cheered up by booking three weeks leave - though in different weeks. So that means three holidays in July and August!

I'm going off to the osteoporesis clinic on Wednesday and think I might be having a first infusion of bone strengthening drugs. I think I will also mention the hot flushes again, as despite the increased dosage of the clonodine, they really are quite unbearable at the moment. I hate the extremes of feeling boiling hot one minute, and freezing the next.

On Saturday we went to Borde Hill Gardens near Haywards Heath in West Sussex. As there are quite a few national properties nearby Borde Hill, which is privately owned, tends to have fewer visitors. I do like it there. The bluebell woods were still flowering as were the azalea and rhododendron hedges. Whenever I see these parkland size shrubs in bloom I always think of Rebecca. I think it is in the opening pages where the new Mrs De Winter describes them as part of her recollections of Manderlay. Borde Hill has exotic plantings including the ubiquitous Gunera Manicata - with the giant umbrella like leaves that populate the long dell and the other ravine-like gardens. They are built on the site of an old quarry which was originally mined to claim building materials for Borde Hill House. I have not been to Borde Hill for years, perhaps twenty. And the last time was with my former partner: I remember when we visited it was a very hot day. We flagged, only reaching as far as the old potting sheds and Italian garden (built on the site of the original tennis courts). I think I must be getting to such an age when I am beginning to feel what a life time and experiences within it mean.

Yesterday we spent time on household chores, and OH cleared the lean-to and area of garden outside it as we are having a conservatory built shortly. Can't wait as our dining room is small and dark and I'm hoping the conservatory will transform the room into a light airy place!

Wishing everyone well and hope those on hols are having a good time.

Victoria xxxx