376052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

Eliza

Re: Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

Glad to hear that you had such a good break, Val.

Good to see you, Lizzie. Hope things calm down a bit for you.

It was 2 years today (Wednesday 29th) that I was told they were virtually certain I had breast cancer, confirmed a week later on the 5th November (!). This year on 29th (Friday) I've at long last got my final appointment with the genetic counsellor to discuss the test result. I think Victoria's 2 year anniversary is 6th November. And Theresa had hers some time ago, while the Vals are well ahead of us!

Must go to bed, I've been working this evening and am up much later than usual!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

LMxxxx

Just "popped in" - and glad I did - Clare, sweetheart, loads of positive thoughts and love to you for Monday. Sure it will be fine - but good that they are on the case as quick as possible.

HUGE hello to all - sorry AWOL, but still thinking about the fabulous SRs. Very (ridiculously) busy - totally knackered most of the time, and feel like a hamster on the treadwheel thingy. (Is that the right word?! - you know what I mean anyway!!)This time last year, I was worried that I was going to lose my job in the "cull". Yes, kept the job, but, boy! - have they had their moneys worth this year! Seriously do not know how much longer I can work at this rate, and the driving always seems worse this time of the year. Still, mortgage to pay....son to support through uni......best keep going!!

Glad everyone is generally going on well - amazing that there is some 2 year anniversaries coming up - no wonder we have managed so many posts - this must be a record breaking thread, surely?

If I'm not on here - it's not because I want to lose touch. Also, thanks for the Facebook requests - but I really don't "do" Facebook - I looked at it a year or so back, but made a decision not to go there! I would probably get totally addicted, and have even less time to do things other than work/computor/horses. Also - promised the boys that I wouldn't - think teenage and slighly older boys really do not want their mum stumbling over their Facebook antics! I am always on email, and on the end of the phone if anyone needs an ear.

Take care my lovely ladies - look how far we've come......

Lizzie xx

PS - Ooh, Jane, nearly a granny! Very exciting....I'll be looking for news..

scottishlass

Will be thinking about you on Monday too Clare...The circle is wide with Storm Riders and we will be there to hope your hand. Love to everyone else on here. We are back home again after a super break away. Love to all. Val

horace

Just want to wish you luck for Monday Clare-remember the Storm Riders' circle of support-we are all here and thinking of you.
Love Vx

nicky63

Clare, hope all goes well on Monday. Glad you've spoken to your husband.
I had my mammo on Monday. Additional views had to be taken which of course paniced(sp?) me. However the radiographer assured me that it was just so that they were comparable views to last year. Now it's waiting until December for my surgeons appt.
On a lighter note I spent a lovely few hours yesterday with my sister and Dad looking at the trips available on our holiday in January, deciding what we want to do. Sooo looking forward to some sunshine.
Nicky xx

Eliza

Good luck for Monday, Clare, and it is good to hear that your husband is being so supportive while you are waiting.

Eliza xx

Piper

Hi all,

Just wanted to add my best wishes for you Clare and will keep everything crossed for you. I do know how you feel as I had a similar problem which after biopsy turned out to be an enlarged milk duct. However I thought it worth mentioning that it was treated very seriously from the get go, and I was treated as if I did have a recurrence which threw me into a bit of a panic. I was told by the BC nurse after that this is normal procedure, just in case this happens with you. Will be thinking of you Monday

Di xxx

RhodaBee

Dear All, Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice. I have told my husband and although shocked he is as supportive as ever. I have made an appt with my GP for next Monday and she is very good at negotiating the system for further appts.

Will keep you all posted.

Love and Hugs

Clare XX

horace

Dear Clare what you must do is get in touch with your bcn or your surgeon's secretary and ask for an appointment asap.As you know most lumps are benign but you need to know.Let us know please.
Luck and Love to you sweetheart
TOO xxx

Eliza

Hello everyone,

Clare, of course we don't mind!!!! This is what the SRs have always been about - supporting each other through the difficult patches and being there when you want to speak with others in a similar position before voicing thoughts to other friends and family. I can only agree with the others that a word with your bcn would be a good idea. Hopefully it is one of the lumps and bumps of everyday life that now take on a new meaning for us as sandra has said.

Hope you enjoyed the dinner, Val (sl)!

Glad to hear your twinges turned out to be muscular, Sandra. Good GPs are worth their weight in gold. I'm just back from mine and she has reassured me that my inclination to wait and see regarding the endometrial thickening and report to her any symptoms was her inclination to. Your gingerbread men are exceptionally good value! I try to resist eating mince pies before Advent Sunday, but my resolve sometimes breaks!

Good plan to chase the hospital, Nicky. Typical that they are going mad about the stuff that is under control and taking their time over the one that is causing so many problems.

Hope all goes smoothly for youe hubby's op, Helen.

I know that it is still early days on Aromasin, but I really do think this drug suits me better than tamoxifen. The initial nausea has now worn off and the headaches are less. So far so good with the joint pain and stiffness and I think I'm having fewer flushes and sweats (although that could be the weather).

Love to all,
Eliza xx

nell

Hi all...just a pop in.
Di what a decision for you love ...so hard. I read Elizas reply and thought it was spot on...especially the part where you can ask them to sign a declaration too!! My sympathies love..Have sent you a pm.

Clare the girls have suggested good advice...you can talk to your bcn , before you can your gp ...well usually. but if the bcn isnt available , make an appointment with the gp. the sooner your mind is laid to rest the better. sandra has it right...every thing is magnified through having this experience, but its important that we dont dismiss things that continue for a length of time...big hugsxx

Sandra...glad you had a great time in london...well everyone likes your mince pies, you could in fact do them all year long...and charge more for them out of season...say £1.50 a pie hehehe

Nicky you and di seem to be having a mighty lot of trouble with your shoulders. Hope they get better soon . How is your recovery doing, all good I hope.Your 'home' craft weekend sounds a brill idea, oh and hope you got my cheque for the meet.

Hi both Vals...as Sandra says I think this thread will run for a bit longer as yet. So take care you two....yippee ki ay!

Hubby is having an op in a hospital one and a half hours away tomorrow. I cant drive so my lass has taken 2 days off work and will take us there (bless her) and we will spend the day hangin about the hospital or shopping, and then visit him in the evening. On Tues we will pick him up, and yours truly will give him the excellent service he gave me last year after my ops! Hope he tips well, although my tea isnt up to scratch cos I only drink coffee and chocolate. I'll have to look out my maids apron hehehe

so take care you lot out there yeeha!

Helenxxx

nicky63

Clare as Sandra says get in touch with your bcn asap. Also let someone else know so that you can talk about it. My family would be very cross and hurt if I didn't share something like that with them, even though they would know I was trying to protect them.
I'm due my next mammo next month but a letter arrived yesterday with an appt for tomorrow. It normally says at the request of my surgeon, which it doesn't on this letter. I can't help thinking that it's all part of this genetics service mix up.
I hope that the weather is improving in France Val.
Sandra you'll have to increase your prices. Mince pies - I don't want to think that it's getting to be that time of year.
I'm shattered this evening. I've had a wonderful weekend with a group of friends staying here for a weekend full of crafting. The conservatory is a mess and an inch thick in glitter but I'm not tackling that until tomorrow. We were supposed to have gone away on a weekend full of workshops but it fell through. Staying here cerrtainly saved us a lot of money and none of us wanted it to end.
My shoulder is continuing to get worse. My Gp referred me to the hospital almost 4 weeks ago and I've still not heard anything. I think I may have to chase it up soon.
I'm just starting to get nervous about my mammo tomorrow. Thankfully I haven't had long to worry about it.
Take care all.
Nicky xx

sandra44

Clare, phone your bcn as soon as you can, just to put your mind at rest,am sure they will ask you in have a quick poke and feel and say everything is fine, fingers crossed for a fatty lump !

I had a wobble last week as have had an ache in the back of my head ,had it for two weeks and it started getting more twingey, of course after two weeks I thought this isnt going away and trying not to be too paranoid but thinking allsorts phoned up my lovely gp who, maaged to diagnose over the phone that is was a muscular thing travelling up from my neck,take some ibuprofen and it's gone now ! Phew ! I think any out of the norm lumps bumps aches and pains are viewed totally differently now for us.

I had a fantastic long weekend in London,omg £1.50 for a gingerbread man in Borough market ! Mine are 30p ! The market was great though,as was the lovely Southwark cathedral, the Tate Modern and a lovely meal at Zillis fish restuarant,love meeting up with my uni mates,Glasgow next year !
Hope the weather improves for you Val(sl), ah Val,(too) this thread will run and run !
Have a great break Sheila,enjoy the big smoke but when did London get to be soo whiffy ! Maybe the drains were playing up last weekend !

Eldest daughter told that she has fluid filled cyst in her wrist at site of fracture but nowt to be done about it so signed off thank goodness,just the orthodontist visits now !

Well, am afraid I have had to give in to public pressure as been getting asked for them...the first batch of mince pies will be rolled out this week ! Eeeeeek !

Love and hugs too you all

Sandra x

RhodaBee

I didn't want to worry you, but I haven't told anyone else and I need to share this hope you don't mind. I'm panicking a bit. Have found a very small lump on my mastectomy site just on the rib.. It's not part of rib as it is mobile. It's about the size of a very small pea. What should I do?

Clare

RhodaBee

Hi everyone, just a quick post to send love to everyone. I've had a bad cough this last week. Been on the good old penicillin (good job I'm not allergic to it.) Feeling better, but not 100% yet. Been reading your posts and especially big hugs to those having tricky times with doctors.

Clare XX

smelltheroses

Hello Everyone,

Just popping on to send good wishes to everyone. It's been a long hard term and I am ready for the rest. Off to london for a few days.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Sheila xxxxxx

scottishlass

Just dropping in to say hello to you all. I do find the weekends on here or generally quieter. Everyone busy. I am still visiting my daughter in France. It poured with rain last night while we were walking home from the restaurant. tonight we are out for dinner at friend's house....eight of us...hope the new people can speak some English! Keep in touch everyone...love to you all XX

horace

I'd hate to think mine was to be the last post on our wonderful thread though I suppose that 'thinking of you all with love' is as good a swansong as any.
TOO xxx

horace

Still and always thinking of you all xxx

Piper

Hi all

Thank you so much Eliza for your advice, and putting into words what I wanted to say, I hadn't realised about the targets bit so thanks for the info too.

Di xxx

Eliza

Thinking of you today, Debs, and hoping that you've had a positive day. My 2 year is coming up too and I know that I'm not going to feel celebratory on the day. I felt very edgy about it last year and, of course, it isn't helped by knowing that the anniversary is to be followed by the mammogram! What I did celebrate though was the anniversary of my post-treatment check-up. This appointment went really well so for me it is an easier date to celebrate. I'm sure that the hormonal changes won't be helping though.

Fingers crossed for your sister.

Difficult decision, Di. I suppose it is a case of balancing risk. My starting point would be that cervical cancer is much rarer than breast cancer. You might also consider whether or not you've had problem smears in the past and whether you might be at increased risk there. Then I'd try to weigh up where the greater risk lay. Hopefully things will change once you've completed the 5 years on Arimidex and they will be possible again. The disclaimer bit is because they have targets to hit and they want to be able to say "look, it isn't our fault we missed the target" if they do! I think I would be very reluctant to take oestrogen - I tend to avoid even natural estrogen-like things "in case", but it isn't an easy one. I'm fairly sure that I wouldn't be happy to sign the disclaimer without adding a sentence explaining why. And if I did take the oestrogen I would ask them to sign a document I'd drawn up to say that I had queried the safety of this and that they agreed that they had advised me to take it. I might also consider whether I could continue with a GP who would put me under a lot of pressure to do something against my better judgement in order to meet a target. There is a genuinely difficult decision over this and I would expect to be treated with respect as I made it.

Very encouraging to hear that your flushes and sweats are down. Mine didn't lessen on tamoxifen, so I've got my fingers crossed now!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Piper

Hi all

Just dropping by too to say hi and say I'm thinking of you all and am so happy to read so many stories of getting back to 'normal' or our new normal as it is now.

Nicky, so sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low but I'm sure you're right that the hormonal changes from the op will be affecting you, I'm sure they will balance themselves out eventually but meanwhile take good care of yourself.

I am in the bad books at my surgery it seems. Well I told you they wanted to put me on estrogen so they could do a smear test, (when they tried it was just so painful she couldn't do it). Against my better judgement and after a lot of pressure I agreed and started taking it but stopped after 2 days - I was just not happy as my BC was estrogen positive. It seems now my Onc and my GP want me to take it but I've refused so have been asked to sign a disclaimer of sorts re not having a smear. I'm totally confused now as to whether I've done the right thing, what do you guys think?

Glad the aromasin is going okay Eliza, I'm on Arimidex and my hot flushes are down to 3 or 4 a day now and none at night - hope I haven't spoken too soon.

Helen great news to feel you are getting some joy back, that's a lovely word I always think. Great to hear from you Sal and good luck with the job hunting, there's very little around here too so it's hard I know.

Val you sound very balanced if that's the right word and you seem to get on with life and get the most out of it that you can, that's where I want to be so am looking to you as inspiration!!

Hope you're doing okay Debs, the shoulder is improving thanks albeit slowly. I'm just glad to sleep at night, a real bonus!

Big hugs to everyone else, hope you're all doing okay and enjoying your lives, Love Di xxxxxxxxx

nicky63

Hi all
I've not posted recently because I've been feeling a bit low and I've realised that tomorrow is 2 years since getting the firm diagnosis. I feel that I should be celebrating the fact that it is that long, but somehow I just have a big knot in my stomach. I should also be happy that I'm now 6 weeks post op and can start gently exercising and getting back to normal. I'm wondering if this is just due to hormonal changes due to loss of ovaries. Those of you who have gone through surgical menopause, is this normal.
Whilst we were on holiday I spotted a mole on my sisters back which I didn't like the look of. She went to a dermatologist last week about something else but decided to mention it. The cons didn't like the look of it either and she was squeezed in as an extra at clinic yesterday to have it removed. The dr wants to see her again in 2 weeks for the results, but the clinic was fully booked and the receptionist wanted to give her an appt for 3 weeks. However the consultant insisted that she was added as an extra in that clinic too. This is all sending out very loud alarm bells to me. Please all keep your fingers crossed.
Hopefully the headaches and nausea will settle soon Eliza.
Di I hope that your shoulder is improving.
Good luck with the job hunting Sal.
Thinking of you all.
Nicky xx

Eliza

Hi Sal, Helen & everyone.

Working from home this afternoon and have awarded myself a tea-break!

Gosh, 10,000 posts!!!

Good luck with the job search, Sal, and hopefully you will find something that you can be really enthusiastic about.

Pleased to hear that you're getting the joy back, Helen. I too find that every few months I am aware that things have moved on for me again.

So far, so good with the Aromasin. I'm getting a bit of nausea and headaches but hopefully that will settle in a week or so. I had headaches when I started tamoxifen but only for a couple of weeks. I think I am a bit stiffer but have today increased the glucosamine. I have had far fewer hot flushes and night sweats the last couple of days. Not sure if this is due to a change in weather or the drug switch but I'm hoping it is the latter!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

nell

Afternoon all....10,000 hits, wow are we something or what hehehe!

Nice to hear from you Sal and look forward to your speciality pie at the next meet!I'm sure you'll be snapped up for a job Sal...but really good luck with your search.

Debs big big hugs for you and sorry about your friend love. And as for thinking differently, it is a bit of a surprise when it happens, but you go with the flow and think real hard about whats best for you missus!

Hi Eliza...I agree with you and Val, can't understand why some people think only certain people can 'get' cancer. But I guess we have learned differently and that sometimes knowledge comes with experience, however good or bad that experience is....mmmmm a bit waffley me thinks...hear endeth the waffle!

Hey Val, its great that you go days without thinking of cancer, and thats the upside of time passing, other things become more prominant in our minds and our lives...and strangely enough, life doesnt wait , it trolleys on by and continues to happen...

I was out walking today and although I was 'limping' slightly cos I think I've twisted it a bit, I just thought that I'm getting my 'joy' back, my mojo back, at long last. I feel able to do more than I did a few months ago, my energy levels are climbing. When I looked back on things I realised that, every few months, I get this strange feeling, and all it is is, me being able and more willing to do more in my life.......So Val thats where I am at the moment, just at the beginning of my new life! All good!

hope everyone else is feeling as positive as they can in their lives, I'm gonna catch my horse,( Lightning) now and take a stroll across the prairie...and wait for that sun to set.....then nip back to Joes for a quick one hehehehe

catch ya later
Helenxxx

salopets

Just popping in to see how everyone is and I see we've hit 10,000 comments!

Debs, sorry to hear your news and I'm thinking of you. It's especially hard when something like that happens after a dx of cancer yourself. You are not only mourning your loss, but also being made aware of what can happen. Sending you hugs ((()))

I'm with you on the myth that healthy living will prevent cancer Val. Healthy living helps you have a better quality of life, but there are no guarantees in this life.

Fab news about being nearly being a granny Jane. I think I'm going to have quite a wait.....

I'm spending my spare time job hunting at the moment, but there ain't much out there, so I could be jobless by the time I get to the December meet, as my contract ends on 30 November:-(

Can't remember anything else, but love to all as always. xx

Eliza

Sending you [[[hugs]]], Debs. I think that we probably have quite a similar approach and I too have found it a struggle at times. The loss of your dear friend must also have quite an effect.

Val, yes how infuriating it is when people perpetuate the myths and just don't get that anyone can get cancer. Hope you have a wonderful time in France and that the painkillers work for the journey. Good plan to put the tumour markers on the back burner until you are home again. Thanks for the reassurance on Aromasin.

Great to hear that the mojo is back, Linda! good luck for Monday's appointment.

I was pleasantly surprised by the rapport, Helen, as he hasn't been anywhere near so good in the past! Perhaps he has realised that I will both complain and compliment depending on the service I feel I have received!

Hope all is well with you, Carole.

Looking forward to seeing the granny announcement, Jane!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

scottishlass

Good to see you posting again Debs. It is not an easy ride is it? People think once you are back to work you must fully recovered. But it can hit at the oddest of times. I always said I would never shout at the kids again....when I began to moan I know things were getting back to "normality".
In the Spring it will be 22 years since my first diagnosis yet now I can honestly say I feel comfortable in my own skin and days go by when I forget that I have had cancer at all. Yes there are still ups and downs, but not in the all-consuming days of first diagnosis. I hope you all get to a point of inner-peace.
But now for a moan... This week I read that Ken Hom had been diagnosed with cancer and said it was good it was caught early but he ate well and lived well so was surprised when Cancer happened to him. When will people learn that we did not "earn" this cancer that it can strike anyone at any time?
Hi Helen, Read your post but you didn't mention just how you were doing. Well I hope.
Carole, Not much news from you. Would love to hear how you are doing and how the "expansion" is doing.
To everyone else please have a great weekend. Yes Helen is right, you are an amazing bunch of ladies. Keep well, love Val

Debs4

I know I've started so many posts here, but never quite managed to finish (and therefore) post them. I just hadn't realised how long it had been, so my apologies lovely ladies.

That road to normality really is a tough one to ride, isn't it? For me, having had minimal treatment, its not that I'm having to recover from that aspect, but I seem to be looking at life - and everything in it - differently. I know this is not unusual but I really didn't think it would affect me this way and as I'm not someone who is comfortable with change ... its been a real struggle. I am spending time thinking and researching, whilst finding it hard to focus and concentrate which is tricky when I am continuing to work (in a job that bores me). I'm sure my eureka moment(s) will come, so long as I keep looking and working my way towards them. An added challenge has been the loss of my dear friend who had oesophageal cancer (as some of you will already know).

So, what have i missed? Di, absolutely fantastic news on your shoulder ... hopefully the injections are doing the job and you'll have pain relief. Good to hear that you've had the punctured expander replaced Carole and hope all is going well with the expansion programme. Nicky, been keeping up with your post-op progress on FB, but hope that things are continuing well. Also Rosie, FB has been a boon for hearing how you're doing, but do hope that life gets easier for you ... and soon. Gennie, HUGE hugs for your SIL and the family. Helen, hope you're settling well into retirement and great to hear your MRI was clear. Sheila, so sorry to hear of your "fragile" experience but I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully that will ease with time (for us both). Sorry to have missed your anniversaries Clare and Sandra - trust you both celebrated well. Wow Val(TOO), 4 years is just fantastic. Jane, congratulations on impeding granny-dom and Martina, I really loved the Alison Krauss verse ... may have to buy that album now. Eliza, so pleased things went so well with your Onc and great to hear how positive you sound; you too Linda ... fantastic that you have your mojo back. Val(SL), hope you have a lovely time in France.

To those I've missed, hope you are well, happy and making progress in the right direction.

So sorry to have missed the London meet up and am really gutted that I can't make Ross on Wye (pesky children and their birthdays), but the next London meet up is in my diary already and is very much looked forward to!

Love to all
Debs xx

nell

Morning all...oooh france...have a great time val, hope the back and tumour markers are fine, just let go and enjoy yourself, think you need it and deserve it after some of the stuff you've been through this year.
Linda thats just great...getting your mojo back, you dont realise how much confidence is needed, until you lose it...brilliant! If you are having a tummy tuck, try not to lose too much weight or they won't have enought fatty tissue to remake your breast hehehe. If you have any questions about it in the future, just give me a pm, or a ring , its the op that I had and its really successful.

Eliza you sound in a really good place...thats wonderful! What a great rapport you have with your onc, it soooooo helps! upwards and onwards, thats the thing...

hey Sandra, I remember your jaunt last year with your uni mates, bet you had a wow of a time this year missus! good for you...a glass or ten hehehe

Martina how lovely to hear from you love. I keep the little gift you gave us on my handbag in full view all the time. It was a lovely poem .You have expressed so nicely, how I'm sure we all feel...thankyou love. Did you have a good time on your 'cowboy' adventure, I'm sure you did....ride em girl yippy ki ay!

Hey there Jane...how long is it until you are a grandma...how lovely and exciting, bet you just cant wait!! Hope the birth goes really well...

How are you Carole and your rooting tooting breasts? Hope things are running smoothly and with every other aspect of your life.

take care all SRs...you are one heck of a bunch!!

Helenxxx

scottishlass

Hi Linda, I am so pleased that you have got your mojo back! Do pop in ever so often so that we know how you are doing. Well done for being back at work for a whole year. Another milestone.
Hi Eliza, I was on Aromasin for a couple of years or more and I thought it was a very good drug with little side effects, one of the best hormone drugs I have been on.I am sure it will suit you fine and do its job. I am glad that you had good news with your doctor. Hope your tumour markers are down and glad you are feeling good.
Hi Sandra, How you doing chuck? Is the baking still going strong and is business good? Have a great time with your Scottish Uni pals. Which Uni were you at? My daughter went to Stirling and studied English with Education. What is she doing now??....living in France and working in a french/english pub and loving life!!
Hi Martina, I liked the poem and am glad that you are getting on with your life too....yet thinking about the girls sometimes.
Hi jjane, Any news of the new baby yet? My friend has just found out that she is to be a granny. My friend had BC 15 years ago, so she is over the moon to see this day. I saw the baby's scan and we are all rooting for a girl ( cause that's what she wants!)
Hi Clare You seem to have your hands full with your grand-daughters. Well done you discovering the toddler gym and story time.
Hi Helen How are you filling your days now? Have you been doing anything new?
Well I am off to France to visit my daughter on Monday....but I have a very sore back and had to go to a GP today to get stronger painkillers so that I can survive the journey. I think I just did too much then when I tried to get out of the bath....oooohhh I think I pulled a muscle. Still I am determined to get there and go out and enjoy myself. We will look a right pair going on to the plane...hubby still needing crutches and I am using my walking stick.....I know my tumour markers are on the rise again but I am puting that on the back burner while we are away on holiday. Only away for a short time but will "look in" here to see how you are from my daughters. Love to you all, Hope you are doing okay too Val (TOO), love Val (SL)

elljaydee

Hello all,

I know I dont come on here much now but think of you all often and it was great to meet up with Eliza, Victoria and Carolyn on Saturday. Like others, I find although I often pop in on here to read messages, I very rarely contribute to discussions anymore.

Its a year since I went back to work and now feel much stronger etc. Do you remember when I was observed last year and fell to pieces. Had one recently. Memories of last year did not deter me. I did well and the head remarked on how confident i was compared to last year. I have got my mojo back!!!

Weight still going down slowly but surely. I am probably going to have a tummy tuck diep next summer. The doctor has agreed, just need to arrange dates for it. Have an appointment with oncologist on monday and mammo due soon but two years down the line, the worries and niggles are not so prominent.

Anyway, take care all and will still continue to pop in from time to time.

All the best
Linda

Eliza

That was beautiful, Martina; thank you. And I wore your bracelet to my appointment yesterday and the TOO's pin! Yes, I don't know how I'd have got through without the support of the SRs and that has created a special bond.

The appointment went really well, thanks Sandra. My onc was very positive and would have discharged me apart from me saying that I wasn't happy to continue with tamoxifen because of the thickening of the endometrial lining. He didn't really want me to switch drugs but he listened to the points I made and in the end agreed. He has switched me to exemestane - Aromasin - and warned that I might find that hot flushes and joint pain get worse. I think that was his reservation. Because of the switch he will see me again in 6 months but with a view to discharging me then so that I just see my surgeon once a year after my mammogram. He was really enthusiastic about how well I'm doing and that has made me feel good. I think he was a bit miffed that he was out of the genetics loop, but that is because he didn't pick up on it! I felt that we ended the appointment with a greater mutual respect than we had previously achieved, which feels really good.

I would have wanted to switch anyway as the study results show a positive benefit and I suspect that this was the only way he'd have done it, so although I'm not happy about the scan results I sort of feel it is a case of "all's well that ends well". I had to have yet more blood taken for the oc study but the woman taking it was good and the bruising is only slight. Fingers crossed that the tumour markers are down or at least not increased again. I also had blood taken for yet another study (looking for more BRCA genes) and she was a bit concerned to be sure that I had eaten properly (which I had).

So, I'm feeling pretty good at the moment!

Hope you have a great weekend too, Sandra - I suspect you will!

Thanks, Jane. That dress is wonderful to wear too. I'm loving my renewed enthusiasm for my medieval work. Do keep us posted on the granny front!

Love to all,
Eliza xx

sandra44

Ah Martina that is lovely ! Think we are going to have a big love in ! Yup I'm with the you have all helped me through so much and the bond is still there as it is great to still catch up every now and then and hear how far we have come yet we are still on the path of our journey. Who knows where that will go but it is such a great feeling to know that I have Storm Riders walking with me.

Oooh, am getting all soppy ! Great news Helen, lovely to see you back Jane,good luck with granny duties ! Hope your appointment went well Eliza. Big slaps on the back to all as I'm whooping it up with my Scottish uni mates and having a mad weekend in London. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Sandra x

ardmhuire

Hi all BlackJack here

Its been a long while since Ive been on. Its not that I feel I don't need you all anymore its just that for my own sanity I must look forward and try not to dwell on the cancer that took over my life for a year. I know that I have the luxury(for now) of being able to do that and that some of you are still riding the storm. But I want you all to know that I have not left you behind, you are with me in my heart. Every time I hear the word Cancer I think of you all and how we helped each other through the hard times. I am so grateful that you were there for me and even though we were separated by the Irish Sea, you were right beside me through every step of the way. I look at your pictures beside your posts and it is like looking through a photograph album of people who have been part of my journey through life. I cannot name you all personally but I want you thank each and everyone of you.

I made one really special friend on this site. Mary or KittenKat as she was called. I am so glad to have met you. You were always at the end of the phone as you still are. You are an absolutely brilliant friend and I am so glad to have met you.

Finally I want to send all those still riding the storm my best wishes. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers always. I will keep an eye on you through the posts so i will be with you in spirit.

I've been to the mountain
Left my tracks in the snow
Where souls have been lost
And the walking wounded go
I've taken the pain
No girl should endure
But faith can move mountains
Of that I am sure

Alison Krauss - Get me through December

Take Care
Martina

jjane123

The boss must be well peeved........we are all keeping him well and truly at bay!

Fantastic news about your M.R.I Helen. You too Val(TOO) another milestone passed.

Hmmm ice cream, one of my favorites. Glad you all had a good time catching up.

Eliza, so pleased your feeling more like your old self. You sound really busy with your medieval work. The dress looks fab, by the way.

Clare, lovely to see you getting back on track too.

Am due to be a granny any day now. Can't wait. We are so excited. I'll let you all know when she arrives.

Love to everyone xx

Eliza

Hi Clare,

I'm doing well, thanks. I see my onc on Wednesday for the regular 6 monthly check. I have also just had my appointment through for my mammo at the end of November (and then see my consultant in early December). Apart from that I am really getting back into my medieval academic work. I've recently had a very good session in the British Library and feel that I am back on track with all that now. Sounds like you are certainly being kept busy!

I know what you mean, Helen. I like to drop by to see how people are doing.

We had a lovely time on Saturday, eating ice cream and then visiting the antiques market. Several ideas for future London meets too so watch this space - well watch your email is more likely.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

RhodaBee

So lovely to hear from you Jane, glad you are getting on with life.

Such good news with your MRI scan Helen and your 4 years NED Val.

Hope things are well with you Eliza.

Our daughters partner has been fitting a new bathroom for us. It is looking great but there is still some work to do. Have just cleared the rubbish aways so the grand-daughters can stay on Friday. I have discovere 'Toddler Gym' on Friday mornings and Story time at the library on Friday afternoons, and I don't seem to be the only Grandma, thank goodness.

Love and Hugs to all.

Clare XX

nell

OOh all is quiet on the western front......a really good thing, cos it means all are busy getting on with their lives. Well I am too, but cant resist dropping in here now and then.

Hope all are coping with their normality....take care all.

Helenxxx

Eliza

Great news, Helen.

Eliza xx

nell

Hi girls....brilliant Val, I raise my cup to you for many many more..
Hi there Jane..lovely jubley to hear from you love. We are all getting back to some semblance of normality...so we all arent on here as much...Hope you and yours are hunky dory ....you sound it !!

The results of my MRI was clear...yippee....another move in the right direction....oh yeah.

Helenxxx

scottishlass

Well done Val, A great milestone for you. May you have many more to celebrate XX Val

Eliza

Many Happy Returns, Val!

xx

horace

4 years today and counting 🙂

Eliza

Hi Jane,

Good to see you, and of course you're still welcome!!!!! Most of us post much less now, but as Val (TOO) says we pop in now and again so as Val (sl) says please do pop in too. It is lovely to hear how we are all getting on and picking up the threads of our lives.

Hope you have a nice peaceful day tomorrow, Val.

Good to hear that you are now feeling more like yourself, Nicky. Nothing wrong with a bit of vanity!

Hope your appointment went well, Helen, and that you enjoyed your day in York.

I look forward to the mince pies, Sandra!

Have a lovely break in France, Val.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

scottishlass

Hi Jane, Glad you are able to steal yourself away from here. But miss your posts so please pop in now and again just to say hello.
Val (TOO) Miss you posting too but see you do post now and again which is nice. I sometimes step back for a while then find I am back on the site again....but flying off to France soon so will be having a wee break. Love to you both. Take care, love Val

horace

Jane welcome back-you are joining a lot of us who are finding that the only way forward to Normality is to use Determination as a station on the way there.We will always pop in now and again but we can leave places for the new band of Storm Riders.For me-well tomorrow is my 4 year anniversary and I guess I'll hang around in the vicinity in case I'm needed but The Old One doesnt live here any more either 🙂
Love to all
vx

jjane123

Cassey, holds her head in shame and apologises profusely for being AWOL. Girls I am so sorry for just disappearing. Let me try to explain.......

My friends came over from Plymouth for a couple of weeks and so I didn't have much time to post. When it was time for them to leave, I realised that I had hardly thought about my cancer. Was it because I was preoccupied? Or was it because I hadn't been on the site? So I put it to the test and I'm afraid to say that I have felt so much stronger, mentally, not talking about my cancer all the time. I so hope I haven't offended any of you with my selfishness. I have been reading from time to time and keeping an eye on you all. Now I'm in a better place mentally I hope to post from time to time and keep in touch with you all. That's if I am still welcome?

Sorry it's a short one for now. I do want you all to know, though. I will be eternally grateful for all of your kindness and friendship. Without it, I would never have coped.

Love to everyone
Jane X

nicky63

Hope you're enjoying your retirement Helen.
Sheila, it's still early days I've been told. I'm amazed at how much the ooph/hysterectomy has affected me. I was so desperate to get rid of my ovaries but it's almost like the hysterectomy was a step too far. My sister has commented on how I coped with surgery, rads and chemo really well but this hasn't been so easy. Having said that I'm starting to feel more like myself again.
Fortunately I only had a WLE/ further excision but it has left me lop sided. I feel very vain but I want an uplift on my 'good' side. When I'm dressed it looks ok but I feel really self concious in a swimsuit - and that sounds really vain. It'll be a little while yet before I ask for anything though as I couldn't face any more surgery yet though.
Glad the exercise is going well Helen. I went to my class tonight but the instructor says that it's at least another 2 weeks before she'll let me attempt anything. I did lose another 0.5lb - in 2 weeks! I really need to get back in the swimming pool and gym.
Sandra, you're really organised. I always say that I'll start on Christmas earlier but it never happens.
Hugs still to Rosie, and hope things are still improving for your sil Gennie.
Nicky xx

horace

((((((000000))))))
TOO xxxxxx