cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

Sal, keeping my fingers crossed for your interviews.
I know what you both mean about getting moneys worth from the NHS. I get embarassed to mention anything else to my GP.
To all of you going to the London meet have a wonderful time. I would have loved to have been there but I'm heading off on holiday later this afternoon. Just sooo looking forward to some sunshine.
I've just got back from the hairdresser and have done something I vowed I never would - I've booked an appt to have my hair coloured. It has come back a really horrible salt and pepper after chemo and I can't stand it anymore. It makes me feel too old(even if I'm older than I would like to admit).
I hope that the ultrasound went well Libby. I haven't had stomach cramps but I do get a lot of leg/foot cramps since being on Tamoxifen. I should be changing to Aromasin when I see my onc next month. Hopefully it will suit me aswell as it suits you Eliza.
Take care all,
Nicky x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all...Your right about getting our moneys worth from the NHS Sal. It's getting embarrassing hehehe...it makes you appreciate it though.
So you think you will have yet more surgery Sal, my gp explained several things that could be done without surgery, I really really hope so, but I guess that surgery is the last step. Oh the NHS should snap you up Sal, if they've any sense. Good luck with the interviews love.

Hugs Jane.....

Hope the ultra sound went ok Libby.
Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Libby, I seem to recall some abdominal problems with tamoxifen. Trouble is, I can’t remember specifically how it felt as I’ve been off it 18 months now. I hope your ultrasound went well and they have put your mind at ease. I think these drugs throw up all sorts of aches, pains etc which can throw us into a panic.

I’ve just stopped taking Aromasin this week as I felt I was heading the same way as I was on Arimidex - incredibly stiff, painful joints, lethargic, disturbed sleep, tiredness etc etc and I really can’t be bothered with it any more.

Helen, good luck with the gynea, but I beat you to it! I saw a urogynaecologist in November and I too have a prolapse. I had a urodynamics test just before Christmas, which confirmed another problem, so I see the surgeon again in two weeks’ time, when I’m sure he will just confirm surgery (again). Groan. I’ve also got my two year check and mammo on 7th Feb, which seems to have come round incredibly quickly. We’re certainly getting our money’s worth from the NHS!

Helen, I’ve been doing some bank work for the NHS and have two interviews tomorrow. One is for three months’ work with the NHS and the other is a second interview with a firm of financial advisers. Watch this space……

Thinking of you Jane.

Sal

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Interesting what you have to say Libby. I too am on tamoxofen and have booked an appointment with my gp for next week as I have been getting mild stomach cramps (mild but constant) for a few weeks now.
Also have had a pain in the back (kidney region) It has not been enough to take pain killers or anything but the fact it is not getting any better is why I am going to gp.

Will keep you posted but suspect it is more connected with the tamoxofen than anything sinister. I will be going on an AI in May, all being well with bloods.

Linda

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi folks...just having a peek. Not on tamoxofen, Libby, but good luck with your ultra sound tomorrow.
Eliza I'm seeing the gynae tomorrow teatime, should be just fine.
Hope everyone who has a mammo coming up, isnt too worried, I'd even forgotten I should be having one soon, by though, this year hasnt half flown by.
Jane big hugs to you and yours love, thinking of you.
Carole hope the boobs are doing well.
Sal how is it on the job scene.
And those ladies who will be having reconstructions in the next few months, hope things come together for you.
Gen, hugs to you and yours too.
Hi to everyone else, with aches and problems of one kind or another, and upcoming appts. Hopefully most of them are routine. I've got an onc one in 2wks.

take care all, and heres to spring, spring and more spring, well as long as it brings the better weather with it, that is.

Helenxxx

Eliza

Hi Libby,

Good luck with the ultrasound. I had some aches and pains with tamoxifen, but nothing much after the first month. However, since switching to Aromasin I've realised that I've realised just how tired and lethargic I felt on tamoxifen. It does seem to affect some people quite badly; Sal had a real problem with it.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
hope you are all well.
I have not been on here for a while due to various reasons, 1 being having the grand daughter with swine flu.
Just wondered if any one has stomach ache with tamoxifen, I have not really tolerated it from the start. I have had stomach pain for nearly a month now pain in back as well, worried it's the C spread.
My doc has done bloods which came back fine. felt my tummy and said she could not find anything unusual.
Had an appointment at breast clinic and the dr said she wanted me to have an ultrasound, which is tomorrow. Any thoughts
Libby xxx

brightlight28

Hello SRs,

Thinking of you all and so looking forward to seeing some of you next Saturday.

After Christmas away in Banbury and New Year with my friend Caron in Grimsby I've just had a quiet weekend this week. I've felt off colour too Val, but I've found having a rest the last couple of days quite fortifying. I watched Dancing on Ice this evening which is my favourite by far of the Saturday night shows.

Although my anniversary from diagnosis is in November I lag behind in terms of having the annual squashogram. Mine's coming up later this month too Rosie - and I'm just beginning to have that feeling slightly sick phase, in case it reveals something. Never mind at least the experience will soon be over!

Love Victoria xx

Eliza

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with feeling off colour and the worry over your Mum, Val. Not at all easy. I'm just home after being to see my mum for her birthday and she was really upset when I left, although my brother will be up to see her next weekend. Good to hear you've made the most of being snowed in though!

So looking forward to seeing you next weekend, Val - TOO.

Thinking of you, Rosie, as the anniversary and squishagram looms.

What a time for the boiler to go, Jacq.

Good luck for this weeks gynae appointment, Helen.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

scottishlass

Hi Horace, hope you had a good chinwag with the other SRs.
Sorry I have not been on here much although I dod pop in most days to read the posts. Just not feeling 100% and fed up feeling so. Nothing serious just a bit off colour and not myself and feeling a bit sick. Nothing a good holiday wouldn't solve but that will have to be put on the back burner for a couple of months.
Still having ongoing problems with my Mum in her nursing home as she keeps packing up her clothes wanting to go home...and she can't. This upsets Dad who off-loads on to me. I had the Staff Nurse call me today to give me an update. Not easy getting old.
Anyway have made the most of being snowed in yet again... and have got the chores sorted. I did plan to do some baking but ran out of steam hours ago and have been reading the papers and sitting around all evening.
This has been a relatively quiet thread this year so am hoping that you are all just busy or out enjoying yourselves. Take care. Love Val

horace

Just back from a lovely lunch with 4 of the original Riders-it is so good to catch up in person.I am also looking forward to next week's London meet-what a wild social life I am leading at the moment 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

A belated Happy new year to anyone I haven't 'said' it to already!

Had my 6 mth appt with the Onc yesterday - the usual routine of strip/grope/see you in another 6 months, so that's fine. However, it will be my 2 yr anniversary of Dx on 31st Jan and I'm awaiting appt for squishagram in Feb - that will be a bit worrying as its the first one since Dx(having had full MX on right side, my hosp regards the surviving boob as normal and thus only does 2 yr mammograms).

Big hugs to Jane & her Mum, plus Gen and her sil, and to everyone else having stuff/awaiting stuff.

lots of love
Rxxx

notyetinthebox

Morning all, and a belated Happy New Year! Let's make it a good 'un, girls!

Got back from a week in Norfolk yesterday (Burnham Market - very pOsh), so up to my eyes in washing, etc. Also - eldest, her hubby and Amelie have been staying here for the last 2 weeks and for the next 2 weeks, as their boiler went bust and have had no heating or hot water. Their 'boiler' friend will put a new boiler in for them when he returns from honeymoon in 2 weeks time - inconsiderate sod. You can guess what the house looks like .... or maybe not, 'cos it takes a fair imagination I can tell you.

So, I hope you all had a great time, and - of course - thinking of you, Jane, that goes without saying really.

You do make me laugh, Helen, every department indeed!

I think I should be admitted to the flu dept., still battling to get rid of 2nd bout of yuckiness, still - it didn't stop me enjoying the New Year. Drinking again must agree with, 'cos I lost 4 lbs! - how did that happen? - must have been all the boogying.

So, love to you all, bye for now, xxxJacqxxx.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all...hope you are all coping with whatever problems you may have. Hope the job scene is good for you Sal, and big hugs for you Jane and your mum. Hugs to you and your s.i.l. Gennie and how are the ever growing breasts coming along Carole?

I mentioned the unsucessful smear I had before christmas, unsucessful, because I have a prolapse. So now have an appt next week to see the gynaecologist....not having too many problems, so think I'll be fine, but these routine tests are good for highlighting things you wouldnt get to know about until much later....actually I'm just trying to wade my way through seeing someone in every medical dept. hahahahaha

Take care all
might just mosey on to Joes bar now and then....

Helenxxx

Eliza

Just want to echo what Sal has said and to add that you have had so much on your plate, Gennie, that it has been quite expected that you've needed to keep off here for a bit.

Jane, wearing your heart on your sleeve is not something to be sorry about. We've all done it on here and it is the best way to get support from the group. After all, we are a supportive lot but if we don't know that any one of us is hurting, there isn't much we can do to support! You are one of us, so we are here for you whenever you need us. Although we all come on the thread less than we did, at any given time there are a few of us looking in so we still use it as a means of "summoning the circle" - to use an image from The Dark is Rising books. I'm so pleased to hear that you are back in contact with your sister. Sending you all lots of love as you work your way through this difficult time.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane, we've all been wearing our hearts on our sleeves on this forum for the last two years and that's what it's all about - being there for each other, sounding off, laughing together, crying together, getting advice, friendship and support. So don't apologise - it's what we're here for. Just make the most of your time with your Mum and appreciate that even this dirty great cloud has the silver lining of getting you and your sister talking again.

You too Gennie. Don't feel guilty. We all have times when we have to step away from the forum and you've had your own worries.

Happy new year to all. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all....hope your start to the year was a good one. Jane you are there for your mum, as is your family. Such good news about your sister and you...You sound to be doing the only thing you can do for your mum, and thats being with her.Sad news, but you know you can come on here and say just how you feel. Big big hugs love for you and yours, and the same for your mum, bless her! xxx

Helenxxx

scottishlass

Dear Jane, Just another hug coming along the cyber-space lines to you. It must be difficult for all of you. Do you think perhaps your Mum does realise how time is short and this is the way SHE can cope with it all. Sadly we are always scared of upsetting the ones we love most in life.
I am going to visit my Mum once I have had this cuppa. She is in a nursing home, was here for Christmas day but on Boxing day she couldn't remember a thing about it. That is equally sad. She also says she hates the place and is fed up with being in the one room. Unfortunately she won't let us make the room more homely for her as that would indicate that she is Never going home. She also says it is not fair that she is in there while Dad still lives at home......so so sad but this is the best option we can do for her. Love to all Stormriders and wishing good health to every single one of you and a hug if you are need of another one. Love Val

horace

Dear Jane this is one place where you can always wear your heart anywhere you like.We are all here for you always.When my mum was dx with multiple myeloma in 1993 her consultant told me of her very bleak prognosis.Her [mum's] first question to me was,'Am I dying then?' I just couldnt tell her the truth so I just said,'Not today love.'We only had another 9 days and she was unconscious for 4 of them.It is so very hard for you and all your family-cherish all the moments,encourage her optimism-live her fantasies with her-there will be time enough for grieving later.
Love and prayers
Valxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane this is exactly the place to wear your heart on your sleeve. You need to be able to talk about what is happening.
I am so glad that you managed to have some quality family time together, and that bridges are being built with your sister. For me one of the good things that has come out of the cancer experience is getting to know my sister again as we hadn't spoken for almost 7 years before my diagnosis. At the time of my mums illness/death we only lived 10 miles apart but we all reacted differently at the time and it drove a wedge between us. As soon as she heard about my BC from her daughter she was straight on the phone to me and I can't thank her enough for doing that. She now lives 200 miles away and 7 years is a long time to catch up on but every minute we do manage to have together now is extra special. Cherish every moment you have together as a family and make sure that you make some good memories to hold onto. That is a big lesson that cancer has taught us as a family.
Nickyxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Girls, I am overwhelmed by all of your kind thoughts and well wishes. They really mean a lot and knowing that you are all there for me, is very comforting.

I have spent all of Christmas and the new year with my Mum. Who has moved in with my sister, who I have not spoken to for 4yrs and it has been quite emotional getting close again.

We had a lovely Christmas, the whole family together for the first time in years. Sad at times but Mum loved it and that was the most important thing.

She is still unaware of how bad things are and isn't really talking much about it at all, except to say she hopes they hurry with her chemo, so she can get better. We have been told her prognosis is 6 months with chemo and so, as you can imagine, it's a very difficult time. She is on morphine for pain relief and they have given her steroids to hopefully make her eat, as her appetite is non existent. There is so much I wont to say to her but am unable to because of her ignorance. Its really hard because she keeps saying, when I get better I'm going to do this or that.

I'm so sorry for bringing the mood down before Christmas. One of these days I will learn not to ware my heart on my sleeve.

I wish you all the best of new years and hope its full of good health and happiness.

Love Jane xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Stormriders,

Happy new year may it be a NED year for us all. Sorry to read your news Jane and thinking of you.

We had a quiet (boring actually) christmas and went to Derbyshire for new year which was also quiet still, cant have fun and frolics all the time can we ?? back to work on Tuesday and all my clothes will be tight on account of the fact that I have eaten my body weight in chocolates and rubbish food. Oh well, back on the diet for me soon. Squishagram due in January, what joy!!

All being well, should be having my recon at beginning of summer around june/july (so that I cause minimum disruption to work) Far enough off for me not to be fretting unduly about it yet.

Anyway catch you all soon either here or on fb.

Linda

Gennie

Mea Culpa. I haven't been here in weeks. And there you are Jane, having a horrible time. Big hugs to you - I know how hard it is to have someone close living the final stages of their life and yet everyone trying so hard to pretend it's not so. I'm so sorry, I've been selfish - I've kept to my own (non-bc) ways of communication, keeping in touch with many of you via FB and phone, but forgotten that not everybody is on the same systems.

I should know better than to hide myself away in my little house of denial. I'm sorry if I have let anyone down - I will do better in 2011.

horace

Happy New Year to all of you.
My laptop was playing up till my friend sorted it yesterday.Whatever you do dont open a link to Shopper Reports-it lets in a very nasy Trojan virus which took some shifting.
Have a healthy 2011 and hope to see some of you soon.
Love TOO[one last time........]

Eliza

Wishing all the Storm riders - and all our honorary Storm riders - a healthy new Year. I will be raising a glass to you all at midnight.

Much love,
Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Couldn't let tonight pass without dropping in to wish all the wonderful Stormriders, as well as everyone else on the Forum a very Happy and Healthy 2011 - I too will be raising a glass to all of you tonight with special thoughts for Jane and her Mum. Love to all,

Di xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I hope that eveyone had a good Christmas.
Here's hoping that everyone has a happy healthy 2011. I'll be drinking a toast to you all tonight. Having a quiet family night at ny sisters.
Jane thinking of you and your Mum especially.
Love to you all.
Nicky xx

scottishlass

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and will be raising a glass to you all tonight. Also " Lang may your Lum reak"....( may you live long) to all of you. much love Val

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Hogmanay to all and sending you much love and best wishes for a healthy and happy new year. Looking forward to 2011 being a year of further meets with laughs friendship and support from the wonderful Storm Riders....whoop whoop !

Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all...Had a lovely peaceful christmas with family and bringing in the new year with them too.
Jane ...thinking of you love and your mum...((hugs))
Debs good for you girl...A new start to your new year!!!Hope its a truly happy one.
Victoria, hope the knee will start its recovery soon...

and to everyone else...have a hunky dory new year, I'll be raising one or two glasses in joes, to you all, and to a healthy, happy new year!!

take care now
sees ya later ....yeeha!!
Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to everyone, would like to echo Debs wishes to everyone that you have been able to spend time with those who mean the most to you. And special wishes to you Jane and your partner.

We had a lovely Christmas day with daughter, partner and grand-daughters. Daughter cooked lunch which was fantastic. Have been really lazy this last week. Working tomorrow, to let others have New Years Eve off, then another week's holiday - wow I'm so lucky, then back to work on the 11th Jan.

Love to all SRs and all good wishes for 2011.

Clare XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I hope that everyone was able to spend some time over the Christmas period with the people most special to them. Jane, that wish goes doubly for you - I so hope that you were able to spend as much time as possible with your Mum. My thoughts continue to go out to you both.

Well, I moved ... in the midst of all the snow. My movers were magnificent, half my boxes are unpacked and sorted, my back is crocked, I've got to do the other half before BT turn up on January 5th to install my new phone & broadband line for work. I am covering the in between period so am working at a colleague's house till then. There's nothing like a deadline to make you achieve stuff ... I was still finishing my first lot of boxes on Christmas morning! But it was a lovely meal with most of my family, so it was worth all the hard work.

Lots of love to you all & a very Happy New Year. I wish you all peace, the best of health & much happiness for 2011.

Debs xx

brightlight28

Hi Storm riders,

I'm back now from Christmas break in Banbury and had a great time. There was quite a lot of snow there but I wore boots with a decent grip and went on a walk on Christmas day to see the Banbury Cross and statue of the Lady on a white horse.. Banbury cakes were served instead of mince pies on Christmas eve during the hotel's carol service. The food was good, with plenty of variety and it was nice to be able to spend the time resting and chatting with fellow guests rather than doing the cooking on Christmas day. One of the bedrooms is reputedly haunted by a monk who lost his life as the result of a cruel trick in the 17th Century (he drowned in a well) and there's a secret set of stairs that leads up to the room from a priest hole which is disguised behind oak panelling in one of the public reception rooms. The couple staying in the room reported the lights went on and off by themselves at various times during their stay - and they wondered whether it was due to the ghost. They didn't seem phased by it though. In another room Jonathan Swift apparently wrote much of Gulliver's Travels - taking the name Gulliver from a family tomb in the churchyard opposite the hotel. The tomb is no longer there, though there's a plaque to commemorate the occurence in the church.

Hoping everyone had a good Christmas as well. Still thinking of you Jane.

Victoria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope that you're all having a wonderful day. I'm stuffed full of good food and now sitting and relaxing. Santa was kind to me so I must have been good this year.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2011, and thank you all for all your support over the last year.
Jane I hope that you're managing to have a special Christmas with your Mum.
Nicky xx

scottishlass

Best wishes to you all too. Hope Santa is good to you all XX Val

Eliza

Wishing all my fellow Storm Riders a very Happy Christmas.

Yes, Sheila, we may all be moving forwards but we are still Pack!

Love to you all and special thoughts with you, Jane.

Eliza xx

smelltheroses

Wishing a very happy Christmas to all SRs and all reading the thread. Can't quite stop coming here even though am feeling well and moving forward. The pull is strong!

Love to you all, Jane thinking of ytou.

Sheila xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Just a quickie to wish you all a very merry Christmas. I hope you all have a wonderful day, surrounded by those who are most important to you.

Sal xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Merry Christmas to all the Storm Riders, hope you have a lovely festive season.
Having had a mad day with eldest daughters birthday yesterday we are chilling out with sherry and mince pies(of course!) just going to stuff the turkey and then am all sorted for the big day.Bring on Santa !

Sandra x

Guest user
Not applicable

Howdy girls...just a quickie to wish you all a mighty good christmas, and a very healthy new year!
Big hugs for you and your mum Jane ((hugs))

Here's to Sandras mincepies and a humdinger of 2011....

take care all
yeeha
Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

May I take this opportunity to thank you all for your wonderfully warm welcome to the Storm Riders clan, for the support and information and most especially for the kindness during times of trouble.

I wish you all the best over Christmas and New Year. May your time be spent with those you love and may you find peace wherever you are.

With lots of love to you all
Debs xxx

scottishlass

Just to wish you all a lovely Christmas and hope that 2011 is a better one for all of us. Still surrounded by snow up here but am going to enjoy today and tonight and just diddle around the house...no shops..just a few hours to do things for tomorrow like the deserts to make now. You have been a wonderful bunch to get to know. Keep warm, keep happy but most of all KEEP WELL, hugs Val XX

brightlight28

Wishing all SRs a wonderful Christmas.

We're off to Banbury tomorrow after my monthly Zolodex injection: one year down, four to go! I had a lovely day meeting up with my parents today - we went to see End of the rainbow which is musical play about Judy Garland's last year of life. Tracie Bennett sang amazingly well and really seemed to conjure up the spirit of Judy.

I've got to start a major diet in the new year - after going out for afternoon tea twice this week including once to Claridges where they seem to serve vast quantities of sandwiches and pastries - I feel as if I'm carrying concrete and am rooted to the sofa!

Thinking of you all.

Victoria xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear Jane, so sorry to hear your news. Much love to you and your family. Hugs

Clare XX

brightlight28

So sorry to read the news about your mum Jane. 73 is far to young to be facing that kind of news - and it must be just so sad and draining for you. I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts. ((((hugs)))) xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane I've joined the circle too. Big hugs to you and your Mum. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear Jane, just caught up with your sad news - I'm in the circle as well - (((hugs))) Rx

notyetinthebox

Dear Jane, how very sad you must all be tonight. Another little bit of the circle here. I can't better the words that everybody else has written, but there's an awful lot of sense in Sal's words. She has led a healthy life up 'til now, and you will get through this - somehow - and so will she, for your Mum will be strong through your love. I do hope you all find some peace in the coming days, much love to you and yours, Jacq. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

So very very sorry to hear your news Jane. It must have been terrible for you all today. And as the girls say, you and family being with her, and making her comfy as possible, is as much as you can do for her now...and I'm sure it will be what she wants. We are here for you Jane, the SR circle is strong and I send my love and hugs to you and yours. Bless....

Helenxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Jane I’m so sorry to hear your news. I understand completely what you are going through and how difficult it is at this time of year. Tomorrow is the anniversary of my own Mum’s death (yes, cancer) and I know how it feels. That was 34 years ago and she was only 46, but it’s true what they say – it doesn’t go away, but it does get easier. You will get through this, just like you got through your own dx and treatment. It will be a horrible time for you and there’s nothing we can do to ease your pain, except be there for you if you need us. As Di said, make the most of her time and be thankful for what time you have had up to now. I’m sure you have lots of good memories and it's good that she’s had a fit and healthy life up to now.

Sending you huge hugs - you’ll be in my thoughts. You know how to contact us if you need to talk, cry, rant,

Sal xxx