cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

10,376 REPLIES 10,376
Eliza

Re: Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

So sad to say that SR Calypso died this afternoon.  We know that having jouneyed through the mountains, she will be met by Casey Jane and Booby as they continue their journey into the light. xx

smelltheroses

Dear Storm Riders,

I am so pleased to be five years clear of BC this week.  I want to say "thank you" to you all for welcoming me on to the thread in 2009.  You were all so supportive and you will never know what an important part you played in me coming to terms with the diagnosis, my treatment and recovery.  I would have been lost without you all.

I know not all with the diagnosis are able to celebrate five years on and I am in no way casual about my five years, my celebrations are tinged with sadness for those who did not recover.  It is a cruel and indiscriminate  illness.  I was just lucky to have a mammogram when I did.

I will never forget you, SRs.

Wishing you all good health and happiness.

Love from Sheila xxx

Eliza

Sadly, we lost another Storm Rider last night.  Ride safely, Booby; enjoy that party with Casey Jane.

Eliza

I was thinking the same as I watched them last night! xx

horace

It is so fitting that there are meteors shooting across the sky. If we were living hundreds of years ago they would have been a sure sign of Jane's moving on. As it is...we know 🙂

nell

Well Casey , you 're shining bright now, no more pain, no more sadness....so lovely to have known you love. Such a brave lass, your engine can take you wherever you want now ....proud to be your friend.....burning a candle to add to your light and raising a glass or two in happy memories of you....I've mixed you a special cocktail, just for you , with a secret ingredient that I know you would appreciate!...Have a wonderful journey love......

Yorkie xxxxxxx

horace

I have just realised that that post of Jane's must refer to me!I had posted a bit further up the page and mentioned being out the other side There will always be a glass for Casey wherever we are and when we gather at TOO's bunkhouse as we surely will, we will look out to where the railroad disappears over the horizon and we'll listen for the whistle knowing she is riding on.

Piper

I'll be raising a glass to the skies tonight and looking for that extra twinkle, so proud to have ridden the storm with you Jane, I'm sure we will talk of you often, one things for sure you are greatly missed already and you'll never be forgotten, until we meet again keep on tootin that whistle Casey!

Di xxxxx

brightlight28

It feels monumental. I cannot really find the words just so proud to be a storm rider, and to have met you on this thread Casey. Love to you always xxxx

Gennie

Safe travels to you Casey. Until we meet again, keep the fire burning wherever you are and we'll all be along by & by. Then oh man, what a party that will be!

with my love and gratitude for your friendship

The Riviera Kid xxx

kittenkat

I'm sure I can hear that rootin' tootin' whistle in the distance, Casey you rebel!!!! We have the comfort of the campfire and each other, we are pack, we are there for each other.
The sky will shine tonight, full of love and compassion, for some more has been added by our Jane.....

nicky63

Casey Jane is riding the Iron Horse high and strong. We will all join you there one day Casey. Please sound your whistle loudly to guide us when we need it. I'm going back to the campfire now and will be raising a mug of hooch to you with the rest of the Storm Riders. You were such a brave and inspirational lady and it was my privilege to have known you. Rest well.

sandra44

We are all a rather special bunch, just been reading over our story, friendships made in time of adversity . Storm Riders to the end and beyond . A journey of support and strength and love . Will be watching the meteors tonight for an extra special twinkly one that is our Casey. xxxxx

rhapsodyangel

Oh Eliza... that's it - that's me well and truely crying... what a special message to rediscover... xxx

Love you Casey xxx

notyetinthebox

Cheers girls .... to our dear Jane. xxx

horace

Here's another coming back to join hands and remember our dear Jane through the years we have stayed together and she is the first of us steam ahead to whatever lies past Determination, beyond Normality.There's one certainty-we'll all join her there one day and yes dear Casey-Jane it was one hell of a party.We'll keep the campfire burning love.TOOxx

Eliza

Two years to the day since the last post on this thread, and with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes, I have the sad news that our Casey (jjane123) died this morning. We knew from her family that this was approaching and the Storm Riders have been keeping vigil around the fire since we heard.

Jane was one of the very first to join the Newly Devasted thread that led to this one and in the words of our Riviera, who started the whole SR thing, Casey Jane (a train driver in real life as well as in Determination) is now steaming her way into the sunset.

By a spooky coincidence, and because when you post a new comment what you see is the first page of a thread, I am wring this below one from Jane. A post in which she welcomes new women to the thread and says (quoting from that post)
"Its uplifting, to know that women are waiting at the other side of determination, to great us when we arrive. Itr won't be too long before we arrive, so keep the fire burning and the wine cooled, its going to be one hell of a party."

Indeed it was, CaseyJane, one hell of a party...party into eternity, dear Jane, but make sure you leave some of that malt for me! E xx

scottishlass

An operation is being arranged to put 2 pins in my leg and hip. The Surgeon was lovely and easy to talk to. He also discussed hip replacement and has not ruled that out but will let me know before I have the op. I also have arthritis in my knee but that is ok. I have to have radiotherapy and it doesn't matter if it is before or after the op. I am ok about all this and it is what I expected really. Hope you all have a great weekend. Love Val

Eliza

Hi Val (and Helen, of course!),

Glad that things are happening and you won't have too long a wait if anything has to be done. The switch to the bone juice sounds good too as it will mean you can take the painkillers first thing. That wait must have been very difficult.

I do think it is a bit rotten you not loaning out your husband though!

Love,
Eliza xx

scottishlass

Hi Helen, I now have a date for my appointment with the surgeon which will be Thursday coming. I have been to the hospital this afternoon for my "bone juice" as it is often called! All went well and I knew most of the staff in the unit. I have future appointments there every four weeks. I asked the surgeon's secretary if I would have to wait long for an op if I did need one and she said no that he could usually fit patient's in if he needed to do anything urgently. So all happening now.....if rather quickly....have a great weekend yourself and thanks for your post. Love Val

nell

Hi there Val...i just popped in to say hello too. I know what you mean about posting on here rather than on facebook. You are a gutsy lady and have a plethora of problems that you have to deal with, and I know that this forum must give you that support, advice etc that you need. But we are there for you love if you want to offload your problems either here or anywhere else. I'm pleased your hubby is making you take it easy - brownie points for him lol. Also the fact that you can have your pain meds before you get up is a good thing too. I hope you get that phone call Val and soon, please take extra care with yourself, and let your hubby and others play 'maid' to you missus!!
Take care Val, big hugs
Helenxxxx

scottishlass

Just popping in to say hello.
If any of you have read this on another thread I apologise!
I saw my Consultant on Monday. The CT Scans I had recently were good in that they found No spread to my brain or other organs. However they did spot a small fracture in my spine at L1 which they are just leaving.
They got Xrays back but I had to go for more xrays on hip/thigh and knee as something showed up on my bones there. I have now been referred to an Orthopaedic Surgeon and am waiting for a phone call for an appointment which I have told should be soonish. I have been sitting beside the phone but nothing as yet. It seems that an operation my=ay be necessary but will not know until I see him.
I am starting IV Zolidronate tomorrow. This is to replace the tablets I have been taking for the past 20 months. I am fine with that and in fact I requested to do so. This means I can take my painkillers before I get our of bed in the morning.
My husband has banned me from doing ANY housework and so far today he has completed a huge pile of ironing, hoovered the house and cleaned out the fridge. He is even going to paint the wall behind the fridge because it badly needed doing! NO you may NOT borrow him!
But I am still frustrated and a bit bored if truth be told. I am not used to sitting about and although I like reading and my laptop and TV etc I do not like it much. And I haven't even had an op yet! I am using crutches to get around outside as I am scared I will fall and do more damage. At last something is being done re my on-going pain/weak leg. keep well all of you. I know most of you are on FB but I wanted to post here. Love Val

nell

Hi Daisy how are you doing love?
I'm up for a manchester meet, clare and Val...And clare how is the retirement going, Val is right, its great especially this weather!!
Hubby has retired now, not that he wanted to, but cuts and all that, so this is our first real week when we have been on our own together all day.....definitely different and he has a car too, which helps if i want to get anywhere quick, I cant drive....So yep up for a Manchester meet, and I think most times are good, morning, afternoon, or evening....
Hi to all those non-face book people, how are you doing , well I hope.

Helenxxx

daisyleaf

oooh hello everyone
just thought I'd pop my head in and say hello xxx

Eliza

Thanks, all. Val (sl) it can get a bit hot and I wouldn't go in August. If you want to go but also want to avoid the heat I can recommend October time. The sea is still warm enough for swimming and the temperature is very comfortable without needing to use aircon at all.

Hope the Northern Lasses enjoy a Manchester meet. Party sounds wonderful, Clare.

Love to all,
Eliza xx

horace

Anyone up for a Manchester evening meet during week begining 17th July?I'm not free on Monday 18th but otherwise would love to get together.I am also around all September.Glad you have retired Clare-you just cant beat it 🙂
Hi everyone
Valxx

RhodaBee

Thank you for all your good wishes. We had a fantastic party, everyone really enjoyed themselves. Hubby and I were still 'buzzing'the next day.

Doing lots of gardening, but my muscles still get tired, too soon. I think that will always be the case now, 2 years after I finished taxotere.
Have a great time in Malta Eliza. Glad you had a good break in France Val.

Woo hoo the scone express is taking to the roads again, hope the rain goes away Sandra.

How are you doing Helen? Will definately sort out a Manchester meet.

Love and Hugs to all.

Clare XX

scottishlass

Hi Eliza, Hope your holiday is a fabulous one. Have a great time. Never been there myself but don't know if |I could cope with the heat. But it looks amazing.
Sandra, yes would love to meet up if you manage up to Scotland in October. Not sure what I will be doing in October but no plans as yet. Keep me posted and send me a PM if you do make plans.
Have started knitting again tonight. Very fine yarn of mohair and silk.Doing a wee project for myself this time. But will probably give it away as I am usually bored with it by the time I am finished knitting. I am going to a friend's grandson's Christening on Sunday. Baby Adam will be wearing the baby shawl I made for him earlier this year. I am so delighted that they decided to use my shawl as I believe there were others available. But my one was pure fine and white. I am so looking forward to going and seeing how much he has grown.
Have a great weekend everyone. I hope to have a quiet Saturday...just to chill out. Val

sandra44

Yoo hoo Val,glad you had a nice holiday,can't believe it's July next week, we have just had the longest day and the nights will be drawing in now....eeek!

I'm on here every now and then to keep up with lymphoedema news. The markets are picking up for the summer so scone production wil be up to the max soon ! Should be coming up to Scotland in October so will give you a shout and see if you are free if you fancy meeting up.

Hope you have a lovely hol Eliza,what are the other non facebook Storm Riders up to for the Summer?

Love and scones

Sandra x

Eliza

Hi Val,

Good to hear that you had a great holiday. I'm now looking forward to mine - will be off to Malta in just under a fortnight. xx

scottishlass

Hope everyone is well. I am just back fro a 3 week holiday in France and had a great trip. Would like to hear how you are all doing.

Eliza

Hope you have had a good last day at work, Clare. Enjoy the party and retirement!

Eliza xx

nell

hey there Clare, I thought your retirement was imminent. You can relax or be as busy as you like after this week love...and well deserved!! Happy 65th to your hubby too, what a great celebration that is going to be. I think a meet in Manchester should be on the agenda to celebrate your retirement! Enjoy yourself now Clare, do all the things you didnt have time for....

take care
Helenxxx

horace

Hi Clare
I do hope you have a very happy retirement-I have certainly never regretted going early

Valx

smelltheroses

Hi Claire,

Good for you. I am sure you will be missed at work but you truly deserve time to enjoy! Have a good week,
love,

Sheila xxxxx

Eliza

Hope you have a good final week at work, Clare.

Looking forward to seeing the London SRs plus Theresa and Helen tomorrow...

Eliza xx

RhodaBee

Hi everyone - retirement is nearly upon me, my last day in work is a week to-day the 9th June, then I have planned a party for family and friends which is a joint 65th Birthday party for my OH and a retirement party for me on the 12th.

Hope you all enjoy the good weather this week-end.

Love Clare XX

Eliza

Hi Clare,
The sun did shine for us! Hoping it will do the same this coming weekend too as the medieval market will be there.

Hope you have a good Manchester meet.
Eliza xx

horace

Ok it would be either during the week from 16th to 23rd July or any time Sunday to Thursday in September.Best sort it by pm I think-I'll be staying centrally so if you lot work out a time and place I can make it :)The Friday 22nd July may not be good for me though.

Valx

smelltheroses

Hi Val, Clare, Helen. I would love to meet up in Manchester too. Let me know when you have a date. Love to all x x x

nell

Hi Clare , Val and everyone. I'm up for a meet in Manchester too, keep me in the loop! Hope things are going ok for you Clare.

Helenxxx

RhodaBee

Hi Val - love the photo. Yes, I would love to meet up in Manchester. Let me know the dates.

The weather has been gorgeous, but unfortunately my garden is suffering, so some rain (at night of course) is needed.

Love to all

ClareX

horace

Hi Clare[and everyone] isnt the weather lovely 🙂
Clare maybe we can meet in manchester again this Summer-I'll let you know when I have the dates.
love to all,
Valxx

RhodaBee

Happy Easter to everyone, sorry I've not been around much lately. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not bad Helen - hope you are doing are OK and your family is to.

Lots of positive vibes to those of you going through difficult times.

Hope NED continues to be with you Val TOO and that your tumour markers are behaving themselves Val SL.

Hope the sun shines (shone!)on your medieval week-end Eliza.

Love and hugs to all.

Clare XX

nell

morning folks....just to say happy easter, to you too Lizzie and Clare.....x

Helenx

Eliza

Fingers crossed that NED drives you home today and that we'll be celebrating with you in Joe's later!

xx

horace

Hi everyone-I still look in here sometimes but mainly the Old One sits in her rocker and looks at the checklist of those who wandered in to Joe's looking for shelter from the storm.
Out there the storm is still raging and younger,newer riders are facing it with courage offering support to one another.
This town of Determination must,of necessity, have a changing population.The original settlers visit when they are close by or when they hear the thunder over the hills again.
As for me well.....it's my oncology appt next Tuesday-about 4 years since the end of chemo.Keep your fingers crossed that NED will drive my buggy home again and keep me company for a while.

valxxx

Eliza

Hi Libby,

The time just before and waiting for results is always stressful, isn't it. Hoping you can manage to be distracted and that all goes well. Will you have to wait long for the results, do you think?

Glad you had a good time, Val. SR vibes for GP and Onc appointments.

Eliza xx

scottishlass

Hi Libby, I think most of the Storm Riders meet up elsewhere like you suggested. PM me if you cannot think where that might be and I will point you in the right direction!
I have just come off the plane from France and am back home again> We had a great break but it is good to be home again. I see my GP tomorrow morning and I have an appointment with my Oncologist on Monday. Hoping that my Tumour Markers have not jumped by too much.
I hope you get on ok next week with your Mammogram Libby. It is always a bit of a worrying time when these tests come around again. All the best. Love Val

libby51

bump