Strattice mesh/implant

Hi just wondering if you could answer some of my question. I had mastectomy and implant strattice last week. I did get a haemtoma the next day. I think I’m doing ok only taking paracamol. I am experienceing tight heavyness in the breast. The breast does feel so much harder with implant. When I bend down I can feel like the implant feels heavy tight. Just really like to know other people’s experiences with implant. How long does it take to heal, get used too without feeling so very strange. I know its so early days for me but would be so grateful for some feed back.

Hi there. Yes, it is still very early days after a week… I had strattice mesh with implant too. There are a few other ladies here who have had this. I remember the first few weeks bending down was hard, and so was being in a car that went over a speed bump, even at very low speed. I had to hold my new boob in place with my hands, arms crossed. After a while that eases off. I am a year post op now, and sorry, can’t remember how long it takes for the problems with driving over a speed bump go. But it will go :-). And it will feel better over time. It feels all fine to me now. Ok, it is different to the real things, and much harder, and sometimes it feels odd when I walk into a doorframe and bounce a bit (don’t do that too often), or when I bounce off someone when I give them a hug (oh well). But overall very happy having been able to have the reconstruction without too much fuss. I miss the nipples though.
I hope all goes well for you, and things settle soon. It takes time… Be patient.
Hugs
Christine

Hi, I too had a strattice mesh + implant last October (2011). I remember waking from the op and my chest felt so tight. I think alot of it is the muscle being wrappedd round the outside of the implant. Like Christine. going over speed bumps or pot holes was so uncomfortable. I held onto be new breast too. Also, just walking I would either be clutching my breast or having my arms folded to support it.
I also found swimming really odd-feeling for pretty much a year after my op, although I didn’t swim often and another lady who swam regularly felt normal alot quicker.
I am still aware that it is not my original breast, but that may be partly due to the lymph nodes I had cleared. On the whole, I am happy with it and definitely feel it was the right decision.