Strattice reconstructive breast surgery

posted on behalf of new user Andrea

I am due to have this procedure in London within the next month. My plastic surgeon seems to think that I am a bank and have a bottomless pit of money with which to pay him. BUPA will pay some of it but a large amount seems down to me. Can anybody please recommend a surgeon in London who has undertaken this procedure with them and let meknow the figures if you are able. Please reply directly to me. I promise not to hold anyone responsible for their recomemndation as I do appreciate that this is very much a personal selection. Thank you

I have had this surgery on the NHS, is this an option that you would look into?

Thanks

Crystal

Posted on behalf of new user Andrea:

Hi Crystal

Sorry new to forum usage and might have posted this already.

I didn’t know you could have this procedure done on the NHS. How long did you have to wait or was it undertaken at the same time as your surgery. Can you let me know the name of the hospital. My consultant is still talking telephone numbers which is most distressing and stressful. I am 66 and have retired so don’t have a bottomless pit of money.

Thanks

Andrea

I was originally booked in for an LD flap, but the day before the surgery I was offered the strattice instead. It is very new, and they had only just got funding for it.

I had my operation in a London Hospital, but I also think that there may be other hospitals in the area performing it.

When you have an id set up I will send you a private message with surgeon details, as we cannot mention them on here.

thanks

Crystal

Please can someone explain this type of surgery? how is it different to the LD flap?

with many thanks

Wizz

Wizz

This surgery is a way of using implants without having to use tissue from other parts of your body.

The LD flap uses the LD muscle from the back, and turns it round to the front to hold the bottom of the implant in position. The pec muscle holds the top of the implant in place. So you have surgery to both the front and back.

The strattice operation uses the pec muscle as above, but instead of using the LD flap at the bottom of the implant it uses a substance called strattice. It is a membrane that encourages your own tissue to grow. It forms an ‘internal bra’ and holds the bottom of the implant in place. This therefore stops any surgery to the back.
I am 5 weeks after a bilateral strattice operation, and doing well so far.

hope this helps

Crystal