Stroke Medication and Breast Cancer

Hi Everyone

My OH said that in the paper review on the BBC early this morning one of the papers was reporting that there was evidence that some stroke medication was showing a 30% reduction in breast cancer (or something similar). I can’t find anything on this and wondered if anyone else had picked up on this?

Thanks
DaisyGirl

A quick search brought this up
haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israeli-scientists-find-stroke-drug-could-help-cure-cancer-1.4755
The findings by researchers at Tel Aviv University and Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, were published in the current issue of the international peer-reviewed journal Breast Cancer Research.

It hasn’t got past testing mice yet.
Surfie

Update from OH, it might have been statins (men!) but in his defence… it was 06:00!

Hi Surfie, thanks for this, I think I found the same research on the Google search I did. Also check out statins, some very interesting research on cholesterol and bc

DG xx

Yes, I read about this too, it’s a statin called simvastatin,used to reduce cholesterol. Apparently 6 million people in the UK take it and the cost is about 40p. It was trialled in Denmark on 19,000 ladies and it has led to a third few recurrences. Supposedly, US and Danish researchers are now urging GP’s to prescribe routinely to combat relapses. Something I’m going to mention at my next Onc appt.

just found this on the nhs site

nhs.uk/news/2011/10October/Pages/statins-lower-breast-cancer-risk.aspx

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2055372/Daily-dose-statins-cut-risk-breast-cancer-30.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

and also from the Daily Mail!