Struggling to lose weight

Hi ladies

Since having my mastectomy in May 2006 followed by chemo and radiotherapy |'ve had trouble losing weight. I’m still probably about 10lbs heavier than I was pre-cancer. My surgeon has asked me to lose at least 7lbs before my op - scheduled for November. I’m really struggling. Have started swimming three times per week and the weight is still going off really slowly. I think it has something to do with the menopause which cancer forced me into.

Has anybody had the same trouble with losing weight and will it affect my reconstruction op - I’m having the LD. I’ve read somewhere that this is really for B cup ladies. I’m verging on a C cup and wondered if it would make a lot of difference.

I’m thinking of postponing again (already done this once) because I can’t get rid of the weight, but two years down the line I think I’m stuck with the weight and not sure if I’m using this as an excuse because I’m afraid of having the op.

Has anybody else been in the situation of trying to lose weight and do you think it will really affect my recon.

Anniemay

Anniemay

Hi Anniemay
I had a mastectomy and an immediate LD recon on 18th September. I am overweight and also a DD cup and I was not told to lose weight before the op.

All the best for your operation.

Regards,

Carol

Thanks Carol for your reply. Hope everything went well for you and you’re recovering well.

Anniemay

Rosebud454
Hi Anniemay, Like you i had mast in 2006, followed by chemo. Hoping also for recon next year.
Seen a ps who recommended ld with implant. I thought i was 34b but he said more like 34c.
I also get the impression after reading some threads that it is better with ladies with more flesh to have ld as it doesnt pull as much and skin isnt as tight as it would be with a thinner person. .that worries me a bit as i am quite slim, but my middle is slowly growing i think thanks to menopause. The whole recon thing is such a big decision isnt it.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Rosie x