Struggling with hair loss

Hi, i’m new to the forum, i’m 47 and found a lump in August and was diagnosed with BC. I had surgery and am currently having chemotherapy, which will be followed by radiotherapy and further surgery, the list goes on!

The thing is, apart from the obvious fear of the cancer diagnosis, i’m finding it so hard to come to terms with having no hair.

I knew what was coming and thought i was sort of prepared, but nothing quite prepares you for it! I had my long hair cut in stages, then had it cut very short. However, it was actually starting to grow again which was distressing as i was waiting for it to come out! So i cut it myself, as short as possible, and felt such relief and in control. I then went round the house cutting back my weary looking houseplants which sounds a bit bizarre and ruthless but it helped!:smileyfrustrated: When it did start to come out, i had it shaved, and gradually felt a sense of relief.

I know in the big scheme of things hair loss is only a part of cancer treatment but i just cannot bring myself to look in the mirror! It’s so much to deal with in such a short space of time!

Hello Shelly_8

Welcome to the forums.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like a chat with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

best wishes

June, moderator

I completed chemo about 8 months ago now.  I hated being bald - yuk!  I wore a hat the whole time even at night - my head was freezing anyway.

But you do get to the end of it and it is soooo nice when your hair starts regrowing.  

My hair used to be dead straight, but now I have lovely chemo curls (more like chemo waves actually).  I love my new hair and others have complimented me on it as well.  I have some pics of my hair regrowth on my personal blog:  iameclectica.blogspot.co.uk/p/chemo-hair-regrowth_16.html

You have only a few months to go now and then you can look forward to your new hair.