Stuck at the station

Hi,

I never knew anyone with Breast Cancer before I was diagnosed, and I have not met anyone who had same treatment as me - Neo-Adjuvent. I wonder if there is anyone at the same station as me? I call it a station because I feel as though I have been on a speeding train journey. All the stations were my treatments, appointments etc. Now I’m stuck in a station waiting for the next train! From Jan 2012 until Dec 2012 I went through Chemo, Left side axillary clearance, Bilateral MX with Tissue expanders, then a repair job as one side slipped down, & Radiotherapy. I had the expanders replaced with implants Oct 2013. Then in Jan 2014 Plastc Surgeon said left side was not working out due to Rads & very thin skin. Now I am waiting for Lattisimus Dorsi on left and adjustment to right side (it’s slipped again) Thus the feeling of being stuck in the station, next train not until July/August. I was great up until a few months ago. I got through all stages of treatment in good spirits & health, with only the odd meltdown.  Now I am feeling so fatigued, aching all over and emotional, and just not right with myself. I worry I will not have the same fight to get through next op. I know I am a bit down, maybe it is just hitting me what I have gone through. I rarely entertained the ‘what ifs’ Now I am doing it retrospectively and I am having small panic/anxiety spells. I don’t know where I thought I would be at this stage post diagnosis. I guess I thought it would all be behind me and I woud be fit & well. I wonder if I should bother with more surgery, will I feel any better, will the pain & discomfort get better or worse, what if this next op fails too? So many doors opening & closing in my brain! I know women who have return to work and are living full lives months after treatment and I feel like I am some kind of sham. I can barely manage 2 afternoons as a Volunteer, never mind think of returning to work! Does this all pass, am I ‘normal’ My iron levels are showing low saturation & GP keeps giving me Iron pills, but do not seem to help. I do not have much faith in GPs when it comes to Cancer treatment and its effects, they do not seem to know much. I am on Tamoxifen and I do not know if I am experiencing side effects from them or ALL my treatments, or am I just getting older? (57)

Hi luluspice

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment, I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their advice and support.  In the meantime you might find it helpful to look at the BCC moving forward pack, it has been specifically designed to provide information after treatment has finsihed. If you would like to read about this or order it on-line just follow the link below:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/moving-forward-resource-pack-patients-living-beyond-breast-cancer-bcc197

Also it may help to talk through how you are feeling with a member of staff on the helpline.  Here you can share your thougths and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi luluspice

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment, I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their advice and support.  In the meantime you might find it helpful to look at the BCC moving forward pack, it has been specifically designed to provide information after treatment has finsihed. If you would like to read about this or order it on-line just follow the link below:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/moving-forward-resource-pack-patients-living-beyond-breast-cancer-bcc197

Also it may help to talk through how you are feeling with a member of staff on the helpline.  Here you can share your thougths and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator