Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid Pictures

43 REPLIES 43
rjenr2

Re: Stupid Pictures

so we have varying views.... varying experiences...we can join in fundraising

but maybe what we can really do is take part in trials/studies? We can't change what has happened to us, but maybe we can change what happens in the future?

breakthrough breast cancer is running a huge study.... i am in a trial and 2 other studies, plus breakthrough....

i don't know - just give it a thought?

take care

jen xx

ForumMember

there is a very interesting website (american) called think before you pink dot org which highlights how many companies use the pink logo and urges people to ask where their money is going to before donating. What is concerning is the companies who use the pink logo but continue manufacturing harmful products that in the end may actually attribute to breast cancer itself. Its worth a read.

JaneRA

Supersue

Well I know many people who hate Red Nose Day...me included. I hate the way disabled people are portrayed either as brave heroes or tragic unfortunates....a bit like the images of people with cancer really.

and another thing...No no no...I don't want negative images of the physical ravages of cancer on the website..that completely misses the point.

Jane

Leeloo

ROFL Vertangie my OH would love to wear pink pants on his head, I totally agree i was thinking of having a pink ball but think just a formal dinner would be better, i rarely wear pink and actually am not a girlie girl by any means, I did buy the addidas BC running top way back to train in but only cause it went with running shorts my Mum had bought me, hate wearing it now tbh.
I was in JJB this evening and they have the breakthrough pink ribbon pins for sale and I have to admit my attitude has changed towards these things, my Mum buys pins all the time just because she collects them but I do think they have a role to play in raising awareness and also bringing in the money.

Oh bugger I am probably contradicting myself but sure it's all about the money, which is a downside to ppl working in the voluntary sector, some only see it as a job and not as a vocation which we may see it as.

vertangie

The pub next door had a really simple old fashioned fund raising day for cancer research on Saturday. There was an auction of promises which raised a fair bit, kids got faces painted, apple bobbing, BBQ you know the kind of thing.

No one had to make a fool of themselves, do anything embarrassing and nowt were pink (phew does not suit me).

I don't have a problem with the pics perse, it's cheesy to me that's all. But I's sticking with pink as optional thanks.

I probably will be having a black party rather than pink 'cause a lot of my friends are in touch with their dark sides and we raise a fair amount having a goth party and probably will. Lots of bright red roses etc too of course.

I think we can be allowed to be a bit inventive and stay away from things that we find cringeworthy.

OH said he would pay not to have to wear pink pants on his head, but he would complain about the extortion 🙂

Geraldine

I feel it's good to have a better awareness of BC and it is good that more people talk openly about it. My father can't mention the "C" word, referring to it as "the other". All the same, I do feel a bit uncomfortable with the "pink" thing. Is it making it all a bit "pink and fluffy"? Can't make my mind up. I'm very uncomfortable with Asda's campaing being called "Tickled Pink". Tickled pink is supposed to mean you're really happy, is n't it? A bad choice of words I think as I don't think any BC patient could be described as tickled pink. All the same, if it brings the money in and raises awareness, is it all bad?

msmolly

Leeloo - beautifully put.

EmilyJane

There is nothing like experience to help us refocus, so thanks for adding your real time knowledge and experience to the whole.

I'm not in the least offended!

Emily
xxx

Leeloo

I have been fundraising for years now and I know how hard it is to get people interested in giving up their time and money to raise money for these charities that do an awful lot for many different factions of people.

I know buying a pink ribbon can be an easy way to give your pennies to a good cause but every little helps. How many of us walk past the collectors in the street and either do not look at them or do not even consider giving to them or like me until recently give because I know I might not be hassled again. I had raised money before in ways where I did not really have to deal with the public in general and the first day I stood and did a street collection it was sole destroying. It was bucketing out of the heavens and a very cold Nov day, I noticed a young blond girl hurry by and thought there goes another one too busy with life to care, she walked back about 10 mins later and apologised for having walked on earlier and gave me her change which she didn't have any of. She asked me if I was not cold and I commented on my hands, she asked why I hadn't gloves on and I said I couldn't because of the stickers. I carried on looking at ppl rush on with their day to day lives and about 30 mins later the same young girl came up to me and handed me a bag, she said "I saw these and thought they' be good for you", I was gobsmacked to say the least I offered to pay for what she had bought me but she said "No, you are doing a great job, my gran died of cancer and I hope some day they do find a cure". Needless to say I was extremely taken aback by this young girls generosity and care for others. What did she buy me? A pair of fingerless gloves which had a mitten bit you could use to cover your fingers with so I was then able to do the rest of my time with my fingerless gloved hand giving out the stickers and the fully mittened up one holding the collection box.

What the hell am I rambling on about? I suppose I am just trying to say that the charities have a job to do and a message to get across. Yes pink events can be annoying to some and it may seem like a band wagon but if it brings in the pennies so that BCC can help ladies and MEN who are affected by breast cancer then so be it. I am thinking of organising a pink event in October for BCC and I know that there will be a lot of people wanting to help and not just because I am now fighting this bloomin awful thing but because they want to help in general.

People sometimes don't know how they can help or know the facts and figures about who and how people are affected but I think events organised to raise awareness and money are great. This website is not just for us who have been dx but for anyone interested in getting info about BCC and breast cancer in general so if the picture in the front grabs their attention then so be it. We can all flick by very quickly and get to our forums and chat and talk about the way we feel and let those who just happened to cross the website see what BCC does and needs help with. I know it is so hard to deal with this thing and the underlying affects it has on us physically and mentally but everyone is different. I do want to see pics o f ppl who are going through the same as me but I also want to see ppl who have come out the other side and also ppl it has never affected sometimes it's all to easy to get caught up in what we are dealing with and quite rightly we should at times but there are other ppl to think about on some occassions.

Sorry if this offends anyone but as someone who has been on the other side of raising awareness and money on a purely voluntary basis I feel that every little helps.
L

lilacblushes

Personally the pictures on the home page neither delight nor offend me - they have to use something and no matter what picture is chosen it will never please everyone.

I agree about the 1 in 3 ads ... there is a particular picture that I've seen where there are 3 sisters/friends and one is circled ... as I have 2 sisters I am the one in the circle, I just hope the others don't join in.

I do wear a pink ribbon pin - have done since Avon started doing them many years back and I have bought many items in the Asda's Tickled Pink campaign ... personally whatever raises awareness and funds is fine by me.

SuperSue

Hi all,

In a competitive marketplace charities have to stand out from the crowd and make themselves heard. Charities also have to deal with the public's 'compassion fatigue' and 'shock fatigue' and so maybe are keen to push the 'fun' aspect of fund raising instead.

Think about Comic Relief and the seriously valuable work it does. I don't hear anyone wanting to get rid of that even though the fundraising aspect is about as frivolous as one can get.

In an ideal world all this marketing wouldn't be needed but shock tactics don't seem to work. So we need to think carefully before asking the cancer charities to replace Pink October with Black October.

Best wishes,

Sue

So

Jennywren

I agree, Molly, the CR tv ad works.

I think you have to be 'selling' cancer education to the public. If, instead of buying a pink product or ribbon, you bought an informative leaflet or booklet which explains a bit about the nature of cancer as a disease, its biology, its signs, its treatments and treatability, side-effects and so on, the money could go to the cancer charities and the public could usefully be made more aware. As you say, 1 in 3 will be affected so everyone needs to be educated.

Pink October could be used to much better effect.

Jenny

msmolly

I think the Cancer Research tv ad campaign is incredibly powerful - the idea of a key person being "absent" - like the mother at the daughter's wedding.

BC can take away mothers, wives, sisters, daugters. That's the horror of this disease - fear and loss - not bald heads and battle scars. That's what you have to "sell" to the public - fear of losing what matters most to them. And yes Debsy I think a few key stats would open people's eyes.

The 1 in 3 statistic used by Cancer Research brings the reality of cancer home to people. This is not something that happens to other people - if it doesn't touch you directly then it will almost certainly affect someone close to you.

BC charities should be pushing the 1 in 8 statistic into the public consciousness more. I live in a tiny village - on our lane there are about 20 people. 2 of us here have breast cancer. Epidemic is an emotive word - but pretty accurate where this thing is concerned.

Molly

debsy

I usually stay out of these debates, while not particularly keen on all the pink hype, some of it is OK and it does raise awareness and money.

I hated my body with one boob, never showed of my scar, always wore my prosthesis and used the cold cap during chemo to keep my hair, now have longish hair again and recon and feeling better in myself.

But I would absolutley hate pictures of bald woman with surgery scars being used for any campaign, especially if they were stuck up all around work places, buses and tubes, dont particularly think my young kids would appreciate the constant reminder either.

Perhaps posters and merchandise should have facts added on them, ie how many woman get diagnosed, how many under 40, how many woman die and get mets, this may hit home better as I expect most of us looked pretty well and fit when we were diagnosed like the people in the picture.

Each to their own, this is one debate that always has alot of views.

Debbie

ForumMember

I guess its whoever is marketing these charities who are responsible. Some use images of sick and dying children, some encourage us to buy red noses for a serious cause and then there is the pink issue. I do agree that many corporates have jumped on the band wagon and used the pink image as a good marketing ploy. I guess it depends whether you feel the end (being the money and awareness raised) justifies the means. I too think images of mastectomised, bald women would not be good marketing. Truthful perhaps, but not effective?

thistle

The Pink Campaign will always have supporters and detractors. I don’t have a problem with it and if it raises awareness and encourages people to give something rather than nothing at all then surely that is not a bad thing

If people do not agree with it then they can make their donation or whatever directly to the charity etc.of their choice.

Love and take care
Thistle
xx

Allicat

The important thing is,is that money is being raised to help us and others like us find a cure for this terrible disease.Does it really matter how it's done!! I know I'm extremely grateful for it,pink or no pink!
Alli x

lmlauder

Me niethe its one of those things every one has different perceptions about what is right or wrong, at leastwe have this wonderful service to network on. The home page is of little or no relevence. If you dont like it switch it off or go straight to the forums or wherever else you want to on the site. I suppose we could go to the opposite extreme and have a funeral scene on the home page just to remind people that its not all happy

IreneM

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

msmolly

My relationship with the AIDS "community" goes back to the very beginning both here and in the USA. The wearing of the red ribbon back then was provocative and defiant.
It was a v-sign to a society which thought it was a gay plague and that the "victims" had it coming. It was away of saying " don't you dare ignore us."
Back then if you wore a red ribbon people moved away from you on the tube. It was about as far from a fashion statement as you could get.

But what do we have today? Madeleine McCann yellow ribbons sold by a national supermarket.

I was looking for bandanas on the internet for when I start chemo - I found one that was covered in pink ribbons. Why? So that the average Joe in the street knows exactly what flavour of cancer I have?

ForumMember

Hi Lyn

Sounds really interesting, will try and have a listen. It does seem to suggest that people are more interested in having their pink ribbons etc as a fashion accessory without the need for consideration. There were similar rubber bracelets a few years ago for some charity (havent a clue which one) which were so sought after that my son bought one from ebay for several pounds. I was livid as I said he should have donated the money directly to the charity, but he obviously didnt give a hoot about the cause, only the bracelet.

I should add, that the hypocrite that I am, I remember buying the original Band Aid single without caring much about why it was produced. I remember watching Live Aid and wishing that Bob Geldof would shut up about the "poor Africans" and let the bands get on with their music. It did make me think a little bit about a subject I knew absolutely nothing about, so in that sense it was successful, but so much of the same ilk has gone on since, I have got truly fed up with it all.

lyndu

Not sure if this will go through the moderator - from the Thinking Allowed site on Radio 4 20 February -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed/thinkingallowed_20080220.shtml

The programme quote is -
"Researcher Sarah Moore, in her recently published book Ribbon Culture: Charity, Compassion, and Public Awareness, says that popular Ribbon Culture came about initially as a means of going against the grain, by focussing on controversial topics. But although charities claim that ribbons spread awareness, she thinks that it has become a fashion item, making giving to charity easy without the need to really consider the cause it ‘supports’."

Brain like a pack rat...

Lyn

lyndu

Don't know about evaluations of the Pink campaign, but I remember hearing a piece on the radio about a social sciences researcher who'd investigated how much people who wore various pins actually knew about the condition they were "supporting". Not much, was the conclusion, most people wearing pink ribbons had no idea how many women a year were diagnosed with BC. Her verdict seemed to be that BC and AIDS pins were mostly a fashion statement - a public "see how much I care about those poor people".

Vague feeling it was on the Laurie Taylor programme, I shall have a poke about if only to satisfy my own curiosity.

Lyn

ForumMember

I agree with Jane. The Pink Campaign should be properly evaluated. This would highlight whether the campaign is actually a success in terms of raising awareness amongst the general population of the extent and seriousness of breast cancer, if it is a good means of fund raising and most importantly, that those funds are put to good use. The big problem with mass media campaigns is that they are often fairly useless and dont achieve what they set out to do. I would be very interested to see if there was any valid evaluation available?

corsa

I think along the same lines as most of you guys . I feel all this pink business trivialises the sh8t we go through . But the aussie health minister who said that Prostate cancer does not same coverage as BC is the best insult yet, he states that BC is more sexy than Prostate cancer..........YES very sexy >>>one boob cut off sometimes two... scars from lumpectomies...sickness and vomiting thru chemo. pus leaking from rads burns need I go on. (Read last thread on news of Christina Applegate)
Bobbie

rachy7

I too do not like this'pinkiness' of bc and as another bcc user has said'fwuffy wuffyness' of bc. It is a stinking disease and does not make me want to party in pink !!!

Rach

EmilyJane

snowwhite - you took me a bit literally re scaring away folks, but I get your point. It is a fine balance between attracting folks who will donate and satisfying the women of the day. It hasn't stopped us from coming here, though; and I suspect that is because the BCC is flexible enough to allow this type of conversation at all.

LIke most of you, I also come into the forum and skip the homepage enitrely. So I took some time to look about. The moderator mentioned the new website for a good reason. The new website promises photos of folks who have dealt with breast cancer -- the following is an excerpt from the new website description.

Starting:
In the last year we have received a lot of feedback from our users, telling us that they find a lot of the images on our website are not genuine reflections of who they are.

A lot of charities use stock photography for their imagery without considering that this might appear very insensitive to their users, something that we were guilty of too!

To put this right, we recently organised a photoshoot for which we recruited fourteen 'models', all of whom have had a direct experience of breast cancer.
End

So management is aware and has done something about it. The new website launches in the Fall, most officially though in March.

Since the complaints were heard and addressed for the realistic photos; the next step is to ask if we can not place the inappropriate images of office parties in pink on the front page but perhaps level those types of things down a few levels. As Jane has noted, it is entirely possible to have a decent photo up front with a button to the fund-raising page.

does anyone informed on the percentages of the fund-raising to administration vs cancer research for any of the pink ribbon thrusts? I will try to see what I can find, but all of us together will be much more effective.

Emily
xxx

msmolly

In all honesty until it became a discussion topic I didn't even notice the offending picture - it blurred into the usual clutter I always ignore on home pages.
Am I upset by images of blokes in party hats? Personally no - it's just marketing. A way of wrestling a few £££ from the Nuts magazine fraternity who normally wouldn't give a monkeys about bald mastectomised old women in their lymphoedema supports.

The problem is - is this primarily a website for people directly affected by breast cancer or is it for fundraising?
I'm not sure it can do both adequately without upsetting some people.
So, yes, I think the Interactive Services Manager (very Orwellian!) is partially right - in simple terms this is about web design.

The deeper issue is however - when a charity's fundraising techniques are at odds with the people they are working on behalf of then is it time to stop and reassess? And do the opinions expressed here accurately represent the majority of women with breast cancer?

I personally detest the corporate pink bandwagon hopping by the likes of Avon etc. The whole pink thing has never floated my boat and has no resonance with me at all and I have griped on other threads how the pinkyness of it all is, as Jane has said, utterly infantalising - not to mention alienating.

Given that some users of this site who have breast cancer do find the home page image inappropriate and upsetting, I hope that BCC take steps to remedy the situation with some swift re-designing.
On the bigger issue of the pinkyfication of breast cancer - a hopeless task I fear. The pink ribbon is a remarkably successful internationally recognised and hugely exploitable symbol.
Trouble is, in effectively exploiting the symbolism of breast cancer are they failing the women who actually have it?

Molly

snowwhite

Scare folks off? By telling and showing a true picture? So, then, better to present a false image and seduce people into bcworld by blandishments and false reassurance? And pictures of smiling ladies... If we showed a picture of a scarred bald pasty woman with a lymphoedema sleeve in tears - someone like us - we are going to scare people? That seems to be what follows from what you are saying. It would hardly be the wrong impression. And what then? People might decide not to have their treatment? That would be their right, we are in life and death territory here. But I dare say what would happen is, women would be better informed thereby, more in control of their own treatment and less shocked by it when they have it, for those who choose the horrible treatment in preference to almost certain death.

That being said, I'm not up for a photo session myself. And homepage may not be the place for it, though I think there is a place for truthful images on here, rather than the "hey ho breast cancer is doable" message - yes, it's doable, like life, and like life, it's tough and it stinks. However if they want to do their fundraising - and I am still not sure about all the money that, it seems, goes into cancer in general and bc in particular, I'm not sure we shouldn't be putting all this energy into mental health provision, say, after all, at least we can die of our illness, people with serious mental disorders have to live with theirs - but if they want to do their fundraising, and BCC have helped me a lot to cope I have to say, then I suppose they need something a bit cheery, so it's a tough one. Maybe - I don't know - there is a way of celebrating life, and the bit of extra life we have gained at a huge price - without making it look trivial, but I can't actually think of one.

CazMc

Jane, how I agree. I remember when I first came here 3 years ago the same 'debate' raging and being totally gobsmacked that it existed at all.

It does worry me that the whole thing is glamourised by the media and that people become 'immune' to the reality. That in turn, surely, will eventually mean that they donate elsewhere, as they assume there is enough being donated by everyone and they will donate elsewhere. (Hope that makes sense). I really do feel that it undermines the reality of what happens and people should see the truth.

Slightly off subject - just a couple of weeks ago I took the bull by the horns and did something about those emails I get of 'walking women' , 'make sure you have a mammogram' etc glossed over with cartoons and pink stuff generally - you know, 'send this to 10 women' etc.

It's SO difficult to say to people who send me these things that I don't want them. These are friends sending, who think they are doing it out of kindness etc. But I'm afraid after 3 years of them I flipped when the last lot came into my inbox (they seem to do the rounds every few months). I emailed everyone and told them not to - I was as nice as I could be and explained that I live with this every day and don't need reminding by blooming email! I wish I'd done it ages ago.

Love Caz xxx

JaneRA

I've just been on the home page of Ovarian Cancer Action. A simple serious home page and a single simple button to click: donate now. No links to ideas for pinkraising (have just read BCCs which include sponsoring a colleague to wear pink pants over their trousers..ha ha really funny.)

Jane

EmilyJane

well, I also agree but wonder what we can offer to replace those images. We are a very creative bunch of women; just see the Neverending Haiku thread. Very resilient.

So, instead of the pink campaign which is truly out of control, what ways would you implement to raise funds?
As for the website itself, it may be that they do not want to scare folks off who are just starting. The question may be that we need to ask who the audience is for this website. Obviously for folks with bc; but at what level? Newbies? Middlers? Elders of bc? The pics will change accordingly. Also, if it is not for us, then who is it for exactly?

Most website have controls as to what they can say and do; and most websites are team oriented. I did a bit of website creation years ago and was astounded at the way the websites were thrown together corporately -- each person had a section of it with only one person looking at the whole. It makes for a very disjointed content in some cases.

Anyway, I digress. What are your thoughts that we can offer as a substitute? Any ideas????
Fire away....

hugs
Emily
xxx

naunamh

I'm glad that this thread has started. I have always felt niggled when I read the sample thread at the beginning on how to tie a headscarf. I mean how can something so trivial be used as a sampler for this forum. Of course it may be useful to know 101 ways to tie a headscarf........but honestly we are so much more.
Margaret

debsincornwall

Bahons2

I agree, I was to sad to try on wigs my daughters bought mine as gifts and I look a complete bugger in head scarves but wore then no choice couldnt stand the cold! This disease has tried to rob me of my beauty lobsided boobs fat arm in fact fat everything bald head no eyelashes grey skin. I know for most it lasts only a few months and then like ugly ducklins we become swans again! I know my beauty is from within but the stranger in the shop or bus stop doesnt.

Love Debsxxx

JaneRA

Dear Interactive Services Manager

The issues I have raised are not simply a question of website design..they are about policy. Nor is it simply that us poor things who actually have breast cancer get 'upset' about jokey images of people prancing around in silly pink hats. Some of us believe it or not have brains as well as breasts and actually think that the corporate consumerism associated with breast cancer is harmful to that thing that we want most...prevention of and a cure for breast cancer.

What evidence do you have that promoting this infantilising kind of silly fundraising actually raises more than straightforwad giving? How much of each pound you raise at BCC is actually spent on services helping people with breast cancer rather than on the complex administration of organising all these pink events?

I know Pink Octobr does raise a lot of money and I know too that less wealthy cancer charities sometimes resent the overkill on breast cancer (while acknowledging that there can be a spin off for their own fund raising). I think the pink ribbon may have had its place 10/15 years ago but the razamattazz associated with it now is just sickening and counter productive.

Jane

Bahons2

I think Pink October may well raise awareness and funds, as justme has suggested (good point), but I think the spin-off is that it gets both trivialised and glamorised at the same time.

Swissmiss's remark about the smiling lady and the wig is a good one. Head shots of (mostly) women looking vaguely perplexed doesn't quite put the message across in my book, either. If the RSPCA can include shots of neglected, starved animals in their campaigns, perhaps a few pics of bald people with mastectomy scars, swollen arms and blistered feet (with perhaps a scratch'n'sniff card to put across what a person on chemo can actually smell like, too) and so on might do more to ram the realities home - and, who knows, raise even more money?

Just a thought......

X

S

justme

If Pink October and other ways of raising awareness and funds to help research into breast cancer and it's treatments (hopefully less barbaric and more effective ones than we have at present) then as far as I am concerned, although it may be unpalatable to the few, it can only be a good thing for the many.

xxx

Swissmiss

Hello everyone,

Have to agree and disagree with some of you on this one.

The picture - this one didn't annoy me as much as the lady trying on the wig who was smiling away quite happily - when I went to try my wig on I was in tears.

As for pink October - I am so grateful that this form of cancer does have a lot of publicity and raises a lot of money. My daughter died from a very rare brain tumour, only about 30 children in the UK will be dx with it every year. The numbers dx with it are so small, there is no money for research and I doubt there will ever be a cure for it.

I don't take part in any of these fundraising activities as I feel 'cancered out' but I do donate to several cancer charities by direct debit with no pomp and ceremony, no fuss and I am happy to do it in this way.

The downside to pink October for me is that I don't feel that the message gets across that for a lot of us (me included) this disease is life threatening. Not everyone gets a good prognosis (even though I know of people who have had a good prognosis who are sadly no longer with us). Love xxx

Ann_BCC_

Hi everyone

I don't want to derail this discussion, but we are are working to ensure that people with breast cancer will get what they want from our website as soon as they come to the site. If you go to the forum feedback section and the thread 'a new website' you can see some prototypes of the new design.

All the best

Ann

belinda

Like Jane, I normally skip the Home page..and I tend to then just click on the Secondaries forum but this message caught my eye.
I've been using these forums on and off for several years now and have got so tired of the whole sparkly Pink thing. I have lost too many friends to this disease and along with Jane I too will be another 'statistic' one day...so not so 'in the pink' at all.
I don't think it's always us BCC are thinking of with their Pink October ideas, it's more a way of raising funds from those who (mostly) don't have the disease, the monies which I guess, hope, may be used to help some here. I used to get more annoyed by Pink October but have now resigned myself to thinking nothing will ever change in my lifetime. And I too have been bombarded with pink cakes and all things pink at work. Breast Cancer is not sparkly pink fairy wings though it's a bl**dy awful disease.

Marilynleah

We don't need a special day or month to think about bc as we think about it everyday (we wouldn't be on here so often if we didn't).

I don't feel like it's partytime. I feel mutilated, disfigured, deformed - choose what word you will, and I've had a reconstruction. My body doesn't feel like 'mine'

I'm going into hibernation in October

Marilyn x

Bahons2

I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

I'm not working at the moment, but when I was, the whole pink thing used to turn my stomach.

My colleagues cavorting about in stupid pink clothes, skimpy pink tops and daft hats, me sitting with two lymphoedema sleeves, chemo headscarf and radiation burns, only at work because SSP doesn't feed many hungry teenagers. At least no-one had the gall to ask me why I wasn't 'joining in'. If I possibly could, I'd arrange to not to be in the office that day.

As my husband remarked, he himself had already given quite a lot to breast cancer in terms of hospital car parking fees, annual leave and subsidising my lymphoedema treatment on an ongoing basis.

There has to be a better way to raise awareness, and much needed money, than making it all a bit of a laugh. I think the people who actually have it are the only ones entitled to joke about it - as and when WE want.

Despite Kylie, despite Trish, it ain't glamorous, it ain't fun. It stinks. The treatments are brutal - they have to be to stand any chance of being effective - and many do permanent, painful, damage. To wander off the point slightly, I'm tired of seeing, and reading about, perfectly coiffed women with lovely figures who have been given the 'all-clear' (how I hate that phrase - and it's meaningless in cancer terms, too). I've had a right mastectomy followed by recon, a left WLE, an oopherectomy and a hysterectomy and I have lymphoedema in both arms. Undressed, I look like a road map. My future is uncertain (well, I suppose everyone's is, but you'll know what I mean).

Girls,I know where you're coming from.....

JaneRA

I usually log on straight to the forum pages so miss the home page. Have just checked it out...and so agree with Ruth...I am sick of pink balloons and silly party hats. Why? Why? Why?

I see this is all systems go for pink stinks October and can assure all that I have no intention of:

having a pink dress day at work where everyone pays £1 to wear it pink
organising a girls night in at home with pink food, pink drink, great movies and music
organising a pink quiz for the young or the young at heart.

And have you organised In the pink Day on October 24th specially for me BCC? A day late in marking my 5 years since diagnosis...would you like a special feature on getting into the wonderful 5 year survival stats? I could wear a pink t-shirt which says on the front:.Five years on...and on the back...death round the corner

Jane

Liverbird

Stupid Pictures

I am sorry to have to say this but is it necessary to have silly pictures when we log on of men with balloons in pink? As much as i know you need the money which is raised by events, i honestly think it would sicken me if i was recently Dx and looked at that.
Nearly 3 yrs since DX, but hardly able to walk and needing tests for possible bone mets i just cant get into the balloons and party spirit. Maybe i am a kill joy.

I love this site but i think it would be good if some of your staff had actually experienced BC and were coming from it from this end.

Rx