Support for mum's rads

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Support for mum's rads

Thank you all so much for your comments, it's a great help 🙂
foxyferret

I echo all the above advice. I found Aloe Vera 99.9% ( it has to be the 99.9%) gel to be wonderful as a moisturiser, so much better than than the aqueous cream recommended by the hospital. Using that I had no problems with my skin at all.
It is after the treatment has finished that your Mum will feel the effects, extreme tiredness will hit without warning. I drove into town one day, parked the car, walked to the Library (50 yards) thank God there was a chair in there. It took about 10 minutes 'til I could stand up and go to the counter to hand in my books. It is so strange, one minute, fine, the next, exhausted.
JCJ

Advise her to go for little walks every day, if possible. This helps with the fatigue and it certainly helped me with the emotional impact of it all. Not great hikes. Take it steady. Just a gentle stroll 'around the block'. As it was spring time, I went to a local field and looked at the lambs - it kept me sane.

Chocs are a good idea - she's unlikely to feel sick. Flowers can be good too, if she likes that sort of thing. Maybe some ready meals so she hasn't got to faff with cooking?
carolihne

Hi Ems.
Sounds like you are a very thoughtfull daughter and are giving your Mum a lot of support which is great. Just a couple of suggestions that your mum might like - nice handcream, scented candles, a relaxing CD, a favourite magazine or book. Afraid it is best to steer clear of lovely smellies/bath oils when doing rads as they can agrivate the breast area (apart from the aqueous cream that is). Sometimes there can be a lot of waiting around at the hospital so a nice mag is a good idea.
As to underwear - afraid bras that are simple and don't chaff are best to start with - if you go to a big M and S they are good at adviseing what to wear. Something like a silk or satin chenmise (vest top ?) might be good if you can afford it - would hopefully not rub and would help her feel feminine - you might be able to pick up something nice in the sales.
good luck to yopu both
caroline

nannabarb

Hello, me again :0
Chocolate will be very good, as would encouraging her to take advantage of any complimentary therapies that may be available at her cancer centre.
Perfumed goodies are to be avoided during and for a few weeks after Radiotherapy.
Sickness shouldn't be a problem, but tiredness will be. Don't wait for her to ask for help, she probably wont. Doing things like grocery shopping for her at the week end (or online)will be a big help, or tackling the ironing pile or vacuuming (which she shouldnt be doing yet anyway)
Hope this helps xxx
tracyld

Bump to the top for a few more ideas please xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Support for mum's rads

I was wondering if I could get some advice. My mum is 48 and has recently had two surgeries on her right boob to remove cancerous cells. On the 17th, she will begin three weeks of radiotherapy - they say they've got it all and this is to prevent it returning. She is obviously finding it difficult to cope with the new appearance of her breasts and is anxious about the radiotherapy. What can I do to support her through this? I live a 45 min bus ride away, am 25 and work full-time. I'd like to get her a little hamper of creams etc that will help (I've read other posts that say aqueous cream is good) and little things to perk her up, but money is tight. I know she'll be wiped out and she's rubbish at relaxing and recovering. I don't know how this will really affect her - is chocolate a good idea? Will she be sick? How best can I support her? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.