Did you mean: 

Suprise HER2+ result

3 REPLIES 3
BlueRose

Re: Suprise HER2+ result

Thanks ladies. Xx
Caroline60

Hi Blue rose there is a trial for HER2 positive patients being conducted at the moment. I am HER2 positive and was initially in the same situation as you. 2 weeks after surgery I found out I was HER2 positive and was asked if I would like to take part in the trial - http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/search/apachesolr_search/persephone%20trial which I have decided to do. I have looked at all the checks and balances re my family history and decided I would be taking part.

I am going to bump this so as you are able to see the response. I am sure other ladies on the site will contact you re advice.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Caroline
VerityC

Hi Blue Rose,
Yes, you are right, there is a plus (pardon the pun!) to being HER 2+ if you are oestrogen and progesterone negative, and that is that Herceptin is available. I will always be on Herceptin and the few side effects that I did have initially lessened over time and have now gone. Some women do report side effects, you will see the threads of here, but it is a targeted therapy so has distinct advantages over chemotherapy and for many is very effective.
Good luck with your treatment.
Verity

BlueRose

Suprise HER2+ result

Hello everybody,
I saw my consultant today and all the results from my surgery had come back and I found out that I was HER2+ and will have a year of herceptin after I have finished chemo and rads. I am not sure how I feel about this as up until now, based on the core biopsies results, they thought I was Triple negative so I was thinking that my treatment would be finished by the end of the summer and now I have another year of it.
But is this a good thing? Is it better to be HER2+ as then there is more that can be done with the targeted therapy than with chemo and rads alone?
From reading some posts on here I understand that I am also lucky to be offered Herceptin as it isn't always available?
I am grateful for all the treatment they give me and the hospital where I am being treated is amazing, they are all so kind.
I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on all this?
BlueRose