Surgery - DIEP

HI, I was diagnosed with DCIS on 4th July, over a large area in my right side. Consultant so concerned has rushed through to surgery. Everything happening so fast I don’t know if I am coming or going. Pre-assessment on Monday 3rd September and Op on 6th September. Don’t really know what questions to ask, what to take into hospital or what to expect. Can anyone help please

Hi Mandy Kathleen,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site. While you are waiting for replies I have put for your below links to some of BCC’s publications you might find helpful. Also if you need someone to talk to in confidence then our helpline team are here to support you. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000. Lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

BC & You: www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Resource pack: www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Hope this helps. Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Mandy Kathleen
Sorry you have had to join us - we have all been there - if you look on this thread Search Results | Breast Cancer Now - you will find a lot of your questions answered and a lot of people who have gone through the same things…
I too was diagnosed with DCIS - had a Sentinel Node Biopsy one week and a full mastectomy and immediate DIEP reconstruction the following week (29th May) - I am now 13 weeks post op and feeling good :slight_smile:
If reading the above thread does not answer all your questions please post here again and either I or someone else will do our best to answer them.
Remember - keep breathing! :slight_smile:
:slight_smile:

Liz x

You must really be in a state of shock! It can go two ways it feels, either a big rush bombshell like this, or a slow dragging process with lots of uncertainties. But the Big BC is a shock regardless.

I had the slow, waiting route to my mx and DIEP, last year…today is my first annual mamm Afterwards.

I felt I was lucky to be able to have the DIEP which gives the best results overall, as not everyone is suitable for it. I hope you ll be as pleased with the result ad it’s possible to be pleased with having had an op. I saw it as having my breast refilled. My daughters point out that I also have a flatter tummy than before, and all on the NHS! In general, the nipple has to be removed in the op, but I’ve just had a nipple rebuilt, which didn’t hurt a bit…when the swelling goes down I will look almost back to my old appearance boob wise!

If you send me a personal message by clicking on my name and choosing the option, I’m happy to send you my packing list and some of the experiences of myself and others…or photos of it would help. There are a few small things that make a difference in getting through the hospital and recovery time and we have all learnt from each other.

Best wishes, stay strong!

Nonsuch xx