I found out this info from a Facebook group I'm on. Lots of the ladies there had medical braclets and I purchased one a month back. I pop it on like I do my watch when I go out to highlight no IV/BP in my affected arm in case I have an accident of some kind and I'm unable to tell paramedics/doctors.
Hi, I'm having lumpectomy 2 weeks today although was diagnosed on March 31st. Long wait but it means I get the consultant I met and liked. Could have had it sooner but would have been a locum surgeon. He said the wait won't make any difference.
Of course I'll be ever so glad when it's over but the time has gone quickly. One good thing, having to wait does give you time to accept it and make arrangements for hospital stay etc.
I've been told mine is 'probably grade 2' and only 9mm but that's all.
Sorry yours was postponed...very upsetting...but I think it is important to get the surgeon you want.
Yeppy got it, sorry, just replied.......
BCN just called with a new date for surgery, 18th May so it's only been postponed by a week so I'm happy with that.
She was still quite "abrupt" on the phone but I managed to get a few questions in and apparently I will have waterproof dressings and will be able to shower as normal? I will get an appt for a week after my surgery to give me pathology results so that's quite quick. I think I will err on the side of caution re showering but it's good to know that if water accidentally splashes onto my dressings I won't be so concerned.
Thanks for all your replies and support ladies.
Charys, I replied to your PM, not sure if you received it?
Sorry your surgery has been postponed Hazel. I would have done the same thing and waited for the consultant rather than the registrar. I'm going to ring my breast care nurse today to see what my next steps are. I wasn't told anything about how the op went from the nurses on the day surgery ward when I left other than I have to keep my dressing on and dry for 5-7 days. I got a checklist saying my stitches are dissolvable so wont need to be removed and no heavy lifting for 21 days. My gp letter just says awaiting results for treatment plan but gives me no more information.
It must be frustrating for you as we all know how stressful the waiting stage is so hopefully they'll give you a date very soon
Hello Hazel, (I love your name , always have, it is so beautiful)
Now that is interesting isn't it about the whole 'we aren't telling you anything until after the final biopsy'. Clearly a policy they are adopting in that treatment centre, but is it less stressful or more stressful ? It's hard to know isn't it. Maybe they have decided it is easier for women to have the definite results at the end rather than potentially have the upset of having it change drastically. I know a few people here said they would rather wait until the medics REALLY knew , rather than tell you things about the type and a supposed treatment plan, and then change it all a few weeks later.
Sorry to to hear about the postponed surgery. Just a thought......could you meet with the registrar and get to know them too? I mean, if you rang your BCN and said that you did Want to go ahead on 11 th but as you'd had no discussion and hadn't met the registrar would that be possible, so that you could build trust and be sure. I am trying to think if I would have gone ahead without the surgeon I had met with.....hmmm......probably not actually....as I felt so vulnerable that I needed certainty at the time that the people around me were reliable and given my tick of approval. I had met her three times and trusted her. I suppose though it is always a possibility for any of us that our surgeon is off ill on the day of surgery.
Crail is beautiful. Do you still have that pub that does the great fish and chips? Lol
Bit of a distance to travel to Ninewells though eh? I'm so lucky the Beatson at Gartnavel is a 10 min drive from me.
I'm really nervous about my surgery, not just the surgery, the pathology results, further treatment etc. etc.
How did you find your cancer?
I found a lump, went to GP, referral to Breast Clinic, Mammogram, Ultrasound and Core Biopsy. I've noticed a lot of women on here get their cancer staged and graded after Core Biopsy but I was told they couldn't tell me anything more until after the pathology results came back from surgery?
I'm in Glasgow. Yeah, there are guidelines on waiting times, both my breast clinic and my original surgery appointment were both a few days over.
Where are you?
Hope you're recovering well.
That's great news about the flecks, one less thing to worry about,
I was thinking of you today and wondered if you would post as I know our dates are (were) the same.
Your team sound lovely. I've only met my BCN once and she wasn't very approachable and was a bit "off" when I phoned her once with a question so I'm reluctant to contact her again.
Are you having a wire put in before surgery? I am, also the radioactive dye. I was also due to be at hospital for 7.00am and told most of the morning would be doing the above and surgery would be early afternoon.
Nice to hear from you and best of luck of Wednesday. I'll be thinking of you. Let us know you get on.
That was quick wasn't it? It seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery as to how long you have to wait.
I'm in Scotland and despite what you might have read or seen in the media about NHS Scotland outperforming England, it's not true. At least not from my experience or other people I know. I do wonder where the politicians get their statistics sometimes? Probably a postcode lottery up here too.
I just read on another thread that you are doing well a year after treatment, that's great.
After a verrrry long Pre Op today, just over 4 hours! It was very busy and was held up at every stage. Last stop was an appointment with Breast Surgeon before proposed lumptectomy and SNB on Wed 11th May, during the meeting she said that she was now unavailable on that day and I could either have my surgery performed by her Registrar, who I have never met, or a later date with herself. As I've never met the Registrar I chose the latter. Really disappointed as I just want it over and done with now. I was diagnosed on the 7th April after attending Breast Clinic for Mammogram, Ultrasound and Core Biopsy three days previously. It seems like an age since I was diagnosed and unlike some of you, I was told nothing about the grade, stage etc. after Core Biopsy and would need to wait until pathology results were back after my surgery.
Hopefully will get surgery in around two weeks.