cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery again to remove lymph nodes

8 REPLIES 8
featherbird

Re: Surgery again to remove lymph nodes

Hi, I had two lumpectomies and a sentinel node biopsy before it was decide on masectomy and node clearance. The reason being 1st time no clear margins, 2nd time no clear margins and 1 node out of two cells positive. masectomy and node clearance followed and the rest of the nodes were clear. Although its a bigger op with the possibility of lymphodema i m happy to know that they got all the cancer and am now have chemo to be sure any possibile stray cells get caught. Its all doable. The most important thing with the node removal is to take notice of the rules of what is safe to do and not, and to do the exercises religously every day, even twice a day if possible. I had all my nodes removed and a radical masectomy in december and through being careful and doing the exercises i have full movement in my arm and shoulder. It really hasent been painful just uncomfortable. Don`t worry yourself too much about it and keep positive, it really is the only way to go. Big Big Hugs to you, you are welcome to private message me. xxx
chascat

I had WLE with SNB January 2012, a micromet was found on one of 4 removed so I had to have a second operation to have a full clearance. I did query this with my surgeon as I know of some ladies who don't have them all removed, but he advised that they know a full clearance works in terms of survival for 15/20/30 years (we stop counting after that) his words, he said they didn't know yet what the risks were for leaving them in. On my consent form for surgery it said "to stage the axilla",
Good luck
Lydia x

meggy

Hi
I had SNB at end of 2009 with first BC operation, then I had FAC in Jan this year (3 years apart). All my lymph nodes (24) in affected side were removed. They will tell you about level 1, level 2, & level 3 nodes (how distant from the arm pit) in that nodes are in a ladder type arrangement. Recovery from FAC has been on a par with recovering from mastectomy first time round. I've been unfortunate enough to have on going seromas each time, but they do resolve in the end, and arm movement has always been good.Chances are they will take all the lymph nodes just for diagnostic/ staging purposes.
Good luck with all.
Hugs
Maggyx

poemsgalore

Hi CCarter,

I had three nodes removed as part of my mastectomy and snb. Only one had cancer cells in it, and nobody has suggested removing any more, but I will probably need to have radiotherapy after chemo, and a hormone tablet for five years. So as SDFMeg suggested, it might differ from hospital to hospital. Good luck with the fertility treatment, and any further surgery you might need.
Zuzy

Hi ccarter79 and Lins123, I had WLE and SNB and secondment ANC to take all the nodes about amonth later, they found 4/10 were cancerous in first op. I woud assume th they'd take them all but best to ring your BCN got check. I personally found the 2nd op itsellf easier (i knew what expect from anaesthetic etc) but recovery harder - had more pain (but also stronger painkillers!) and its much stiffer now than first time, that being said I was back at work after 2 weeks, same a first time. Good luck both with your ops xx
Guest user
Not applicable

I have also just had a lumpectomy with clear margins - they removed two lymph nodes at the same time, the sentinel node contained cancer cells, so now I have to have them all removed On the 16th.
Guest user
Not applicable

I think it may differ between hospitals. Some remove the lot if you have cancer in the sentinel node, others only do it if it's found in four or more. Probably best to phone your BCN and ask. Wishing you all the best for your treatment, and also for the fertility treatment.
Sam_BCC

Hi there ccarter,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, I'm sure some of ther other users will be a long soon to offer you their expereinces.

In the mean time you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpline, who are there to offer both emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open today form 10 to 2pm and Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Spurs79

Surgery again to remove lymph nodes

I am 34 years old and was diagnosed with bc 3 weeks ago I have had the lump removed and got clear margins. I was advised yesterday that I need more surgery to remove the lymph nodes I had 7 taken out first time and cancer was found in 3. Has anyone else had a second lot of surgery? Do they remove all lymph nodes this time? It felt like bad news yesterday but am trying to be positive and want as much of this removed from my body as possible. I am starting fertility treatment next week before chemo and radiotherapy. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks