Surgery drain

Hey, apologies if this is a common question I’m new here.
Had surgery on Monday wide local excision and lymph node op on the outside of my left breast. In fairness those wounds are sore but a lot better than I thought I would be and I’m managing a good deal of movement with the exercises I’ve been given.
But I cannot cope with this drain thingy. It’s on the other side of my breast no where near the operation site kind of in my cleavage so to speak. It hurts constantly. When I was in hospital I advised them it felt like it was pulling out all the time but they just taped the tube to my stomach. I can’t walk unless I’m hunched over clutching it, it even hurts to breathe on times. The pain goes right through my chest to my back. I’ve got district nurses coming every day, the first one was a nightmare she wasn’t interested at all but I had a new one yesterday who checked the drain site and seems to think the problem could be that the sutures holding it in are all tangled up in the adhesive dressing they have put on it, she changed it and it helped for about an hour but the pain is back with a vengeance. Judging by the amount of fluid drained I don’t think the drain will be coming out soon but I don’t think I can cope much more I’ve not slept properly in days and I literally cried all night as nothing I do makes it comfortable in the slightest.
I don’t really know if anyone can help or what but I just suppose I was wondering if this is completely normal?

rachie

Hi, I am so sorry to read that you are having this problem.,no wonder you are feeling the way you do, especially frustrating because in all other respects you sound as if yu are doing so so well.

It might be worth giving the helpline a call on 0808 800 6000, I believe they do have nurses there that you could speak to and see what they advise.

I really hope that you will feel better very soon and sending you a gentle hug

Helena xxx

Hi rachie

I had a family member who had this problem and she went back to the hospital. Is this possible today? Maybe a walk in centre? Whatever is available in your area. What pain relief do you have?

Sue xx

Thanks both,

My husband has just called the district nurses they weren’t much help so we are going to the out of hours in the hospital for 11.10 they said I may need to see the surgical team to check on the drain.
I just feel like ripping it out myself at the moment, it’s hard enough trying to manage it all with a 2 yr old without this pain xx

Hi. I had mastectomy last Friday (23/6) and left with 2 drains. On my discharge sheet it stated that the drains should be removed 7 days later, or when they are draining less than 50 ml in total within 24 hour period. Does yours not state when they should be removed? X

Hey, sorry I didn’t notice the replies on here. Yeah I was taken back into hospital on sat, they did all checks to make sure I didn’t have a clot or an infection and when that was normal they removed the drain. Instantly I was in such relief from the pain, they don’t know what it was other than maybe it had slipped and was pressing on a nerve xx

Hello , I’m new here and wanted a little advice on drains. I had a right side mascetomy and sent home with two drains.

1. Must I wear gloves when emptying my own drains
  2. How soon can they be removed

I pray I have posted in the right forum. This is my first post. Thanks so much in advance for any tips.

Hello Humblepeace.

I have posted a reply to you on your other thread.  Ezzie. X

Evie-S
Thanks so much for your response. I wish I were more tuned in before leaving the outpatient center (the meds from the surgery). I would have asked more questions.
Thanks again and God bless you.