Surgery in June 2012

I am having my last chemo on Monday and have just found out I will be having mx and ld flap recon on 23rd June subject to good blood test results the night before. Anyone else having surgery in June who wants to share experiences?

jane

hi jane
ive got my last chemo on wednesday, so hopefully, i will find out when my surgery is and what surgery im actually having, not sure if im gona be june or july

debbie

Hi Debbie - well keep In touch. Had last chemo today and having surgery on 21st now which is a little earlier than I would have liked but fingers crossed that everyone knows what they are doing.

Just need to get over chemo SEs first!!

Jane

Can I join you?
Am having a masectomy after a failed reconstruction. Not sure whether op will be the 14th or 24rd June? I might be having chemo on the 13th June and then op on 23rd June. Or, might be having emergency op on the 14th June.
Jane- the fact that you are having your op so soon after chemo is very reassuring to me. Am sure you wil do great. If my chemo goes ahead, then we can moan about SE’s too…
Rattles, xx

Hi rattles
What type of recon did you have, my fist one failed too (LD Flap) so am having DIEP 27th
L
x

Hi Tinfish - I also had a failed recon, but the other way round - my DIEP failed and had to have it removed. Once totally healed, PS is going ahead with LD. Was your failure due to blood supply or something else ? Sorry to ask such a personal question but I am understandably quite nervous about going through it all again. Many thanks xx

Hello tinifish and susie q,
I had bilateral mastectomies and reconstruction in Feb 2012 with strattice and implant.
The reconstruction has failed in the breast which had radiotherapy and surgeon thinks this has stopped my body from tolerating the implant. Basically, it swelled and became inflamed and is now an infection risk as skin is breakng down (uugh!) The other breast is fine and looks great but a new cancer discovered in that one so I am on chemo at the moment.
So, I am having an emergency mastectomy on Thursday 14th June. They will remove implant strattice and all remaining skin etc. I have been told we can try a LD/Diep ‘in the future’ but I have been through too much to contemplate it.
I think you are amazing to be going for it again and I am sure that you will have a more positive outcome this time. I have very mixed feelings about it all. I went through so much to achieve a reconstruction that failed after 3 months?
I would not want my experience to put anyone off. My surgeon and oncologist say it is rare to have this type of reaction.
So, sounds like I might be first to go…
Rattles, x

Rattles - good luck for your surgery tomorrow - lets us know how you get on. I am meeting onc today with loads of questions about having surgery so soon after chemo. I haven’t seen him to discuss it since decision was made. Will let you know what he says. When was your last chemo? I have to go into hospital this Friday for pre admission tests - bloods, mrsa swab, etc etc.

Tinfish and Susie - hi!! Sorry your surgery has failed. Hope that doesnt Happen to me but one thing that BC has taught me, everyone reacts differently to all types of treatment. I have had a relatively easy ride through chemo so fingers crossed that carries on through surgery.
Jane

Susieq - you dont say when your surgery might be?
Tinifish - 27th June. Gives you time to prepare mentally and physically. At least you have an idea of what to expect this time.
Jane -Hope you are faring okay after your last tax. I have had 2 cycles of carboplatin and taxotere. Have another 4 to go. My onc. had no problem at all with surgery and the main risk is infection. With this in mind, you might want to find out what your white cell count is for yourself? How will they manage infection risk etc? They were very clear that the chemo would not affect healing. Must admit I find this a bit hard to get my head around. Anyway, the breast care nurse said they they are increasingly doing surgery very soon after chemo now.
It must be hard only getting posts so far from those of us with failed reconstructions (one of the reasons I didnt want to join the thread was I didnt want to scare anyone!) but when I put a post asking for anyone with failed reconstructions- no-one replied! Many more succeed than not and dont forget, I had one success and one failure!!! Also, we have all had different experiences/treatment, so for example, mine failed due to radiation.
Here is my top tips for the surgery (this is as much for me as anyone else):
Front opening tops and t-shirts/pyjamas- treat yourself.
Soft, front opeing bras.
Bolied sweets and chocolate.
Tempting drinks.
Wipes, water spray to freshen up.
Bed socks if like me you get cold feet.
I am in HDU so I have a couple of films on my ipod (I never sleep due to anti-emetics) as there is no tv. I know I will probably not be able to concentrate but its a distraction as I find it very stressful to be in HDU.
Hope to buy a sleep mask. Consider ear-plugs.
One of those triangular pillows- best thing I ever bought.
If you are nervous, worth thinking about how you will manage the pre-op wait. Be prepared to go down to theatre later than you are first told.
Engage thoroughly with the treatment plan pre and post surgery (e.g. I learned to my cost that I could not tolerate morphine. Gather some people do, some don’t) and when you LEAVE hospital. I know some people prefer not to know too much but I think its important to take some responsibility - its your body. Tell them if something is not working or doesnt feel right or you have a strong view about what you do/dont want to happen.
Try to have a good idea of what to expect post peratively in terms of pain/appearance. It will help you cope and remember your new breast will be a work in progress for some time.
Am sure there must be others out there who can add more!
Rattles

Just been in for pre admission tests and will have my bloods checked again on Wednesday to check that they are ok just before surgery. Thanks for all the top tips Rattles.

Also dealing with SEs of last tax which was on Monday. Seems that there’s a lot going on at the minute.

Jane- hope you are doing okay with SE’s. Hopefully, knowing it was the LAST ONE will help you to get through…Nearly there.
I came home with a drain yesterday. The op itself was okay and post surgery, the easiest so far…Just have to hope that everything heals this time and no infection. I have been a bit caught out by how emotional I feel post surgery- even though I felt prepared, it is still a big shock. Much more so than when I had the recontrsuctions first time- there what was strange was that they looked like my breasts, they just didnt feel like my breasts. Now, I still feel as though I have a breast, but I havent, it is gone!
Feelings aside, I just keep falling asleep.
I would add to my list - lip balm. Maybe also to think about visitors and timing- it is very tiring.
Another sleep for me!
Rattles, x

Hi
sending a big hug to anyone having surgery next week like me, hope your not stressing out like me!!!
big hug to anyone one recovering
L
xx

Hi
I had my last chemo a week ago and have mastectomy booked in 20th July but as I have been going through treatment at the same time as everyone else I would like to stay in touch.
I don’t know how to come to terms with it. I am amazed I am so bothered but I honestly don’t know how to get through the operation.

Tinifish- what date is your op? I will be thinking of you? Do you feel prepared for it?
Brizie- I am sorry, but not surprised that you are so upset. Are you having a reconstruction at the same time as your mastectomy?
Rattles, xx

Brizie - the idea of the operation is always worse than the actual thing! I nearly turned tail and ran but I am glad I didn’t!

Rattles - I do sympathise, you have been through so much. BIG hug (luckily it is only a virtual one so it won’t hurt!) - Tinfish’s op is on the 27th.

Tinfish - good luck for Wednesday I do hope all goes well for you this time. DIEP is the Rolls Royce of ops :slight_smile:

Best wishes to all of you

Thank you so much for all your good wishes
Lizdeb: Yes it is the rolls royce of ops its just the un known but I have been helped so much by the comments on this site

Rattles: the op should be Wednesday, I have to phone on Monday to make sure theres a bed etc. I hope I am prepared I have everything and probably more than I need to take in, its just my head needs a talking to sometimes!!! Spoke the the hospital on the last visit about my intolence to some of the drugs and they are going to give me ones that help with the vomiting, I also have problems with morphine, I think we get the cheapest first and then if we have reactions we get the more expensive ones
Brizie: I am sure you will be fine, its the un known isnt it
Wolsty: I am sure your op will go really well, its only a minority that fail so just keep thinking positive thoughts
Well just this weekend to go aaahhhh!!! I am sure i will be just fine and will love throwing the prothesis away in time

Have a lovely weekend everyone

L

xx

Hi Girlies, Hope you don’t mind me joining you?
I finished my chemo towards the end of April, and I’m having a bilateral Mx with immediate DIEP on the 27th June. So Tinfish, you are not alone, we will be facing this together!
Sue x

Hi Sue
So we must be feeling similar, and facing it together.

Where are you having yours? wouldnt it be funny if we were at the same hospital.
L
x

Hi Tinfish - I’ve posted on your thread, but I’m having mine done at Wythenshawe, if I remember correctly you are having yours in East Grinstead - is that correct? We may be miles apart, but we will together in spirit!

Sue x

Hi everyone

Had my surgery on thurs evening. Sore but being looked after well. Will post again when feeling better xxx