cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery options -Tissue expanders or reconstruction using back tissue

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Surgery options -Tissue expanders or reconstruction using back tissue

Hi

Thank you. I met the surgeon on Friday and he was really nice, and was positive so feel a lot better about it, he has said they will aim to reconstruct a nipple, and also to reduce the other boob at the same time. Its just the waiting, and also trying to carryon at work. Your message helped this morning 🙂

Adrienne x

Hello Adrienne

Have just logged on and found your post. I had single mx and immediate recon from back 3 years ago. So pleased I opted to have it despite the fact that I felt like a beached whale for the first couple of weeks. Now I hardly give it a thought as although the back scar is quite significant it is low down so can even wear swimwear, Still feels rather tight when playing golf but at least it was all over in one go and now not painful. Just do all the exercises and take care when lifting things (such as a full kettle). Good luck!

Hi Adrienne glad you have made a decision! When I was treated I was in Cyprus and was given no options but told I would be given tissue expanders and later replacement silicone implants! It proved to be a complete disaster as I had to have radiotherapy and the skin broke down! I have just had DIEP nearly 6 weeks ago and even though a big op and I have had some issues with ab wound, feel at last I am coming to the end of the road after nearly 3 years!! Good luck at least it will all be over with in one op!

Jill1998
Community Champion

Yes I'm afraid it is !!You just get your head round one thing and another comes along to smack you in the face, bit of a rollercoaster ride!!Lots of support on this site from people who have been there /are going through it .

Thanks Jill
Yes difficult decisions and twists and turns, just get head sort of used to one thing, then something changes .... but having read posts on here it's all part and parcel of breast cancer
Adrienne x
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Adrienne ,difficult decisions seem to be part of this journey ,if only we had a crystal ball eh?Hope your surgery goes well and they don't keep you waiting too long.It is a really big op so make sure you accept any offers of help .Best wishes Jill .

Thank you Bonita
I have made the decision to go for immediate reconstruction from back, now just waiting for date.
Thought I'd feel better having made decision but not sure I do😞
Adrienne x

Hi Adrienne07,Thank you for your post. I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear.

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Surgery options -Tissue expanders or reconstruction using back tissue

Hi

I saw plastic surgeons/consultants yesterday, they were concerned about my BMI being 35 would rather it be 31 or below for immediate reconstruction especially for using tummy tissue. I am considering tissue expanders, but thought you could then recontsruct later with own tissue/fat, however all the information talks about implants.

Does anyone know if using own fat/tissue is an option with expanders? I would like to make a decision which surgery to go for by Wednesday, but cant speak to clinic till then.

Many thanks in adavnce