73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surgery result - Can chemo affect tumour grade?

3 REPLIES 3
stressy_messy

Re: Surgery result - Can chemo affect tumour grade?

Hi I know the grade can change from a lower grade to a higher one after surgery. My surgeon explained to me that although the cells taken at biopsy were grade2 they couldn't be certain until after the whole tumour was removed of the grade because there could be grade3 cells in it and even if there were just a few it would be classed as grade3. I've not heard of a cancer being down graded before though, maybe it had a mixture of grade 2 and 3 and chemo killed all the grade3 cells and there were only grade2 left in the tumour removed. That's only a very uneducated guess lol, best to ask the oncologist. Chemo can't change the grade of the cancer. Xx

BlackSwan

As far as I know chemo doesn't change the grade.  However the measurement of grade is not 100% accurate, and the biopsy samples are much smaller than those available after surgery, so the post surgery grading will be more accurate.

Sam_BCC

Hi Kat77

I am pleased to read your Mum's surgery was sucessful.  I'm sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their experience.  In the mean time if you would like to talk things through do give the BCC helpline call.  Here you can share your concerns and discuss any questions you may have with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Kat77

Surgery result - Can chemo affect tumour grade?

Hi,

My mum had surgery a couple of weeks ago after finishing chemo. We got the result this week and surgery was successful and they got a clear margin. We were also told that the tumor is now graded as 2 rather then 3 which is what we were originally told after initial biospy. Obivously my mum was very pleased to hear that it is not as aggressively as we previous thought but now thinking about it I was wondering whether chemo has affected the grading? Is that possible? I know chemo is designed to kill off the cancer cells but does it also make it less aggressive too? hope that makes sense

Thank you.