Surgery tomorrow

Hello everyone I’m new to this site and wondered whether someone might be able to answer a couple of questions for me.

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal and Lobular cancer on the 28th July and I’m having WLE and SNB tomorrow afternoon.

I left a message with my BCN but she hasn’t got back to me so here goes.

Can I take all of my regular pain meds in the morning before my 8am fasting starts?.
Can I use deodorant?.
can I put a little bit of perfume on?.

Sorry if this sounds a bit daft, the only one that is really important is my medication.

Thank you for reading. Hugs to all of you.
Kezzie xxx

Hi Kezzie
I’m another lobular girl.
I’m sorry I don’t know about the pain meds and and as for the others in my experience it doesn’t matter either way as when I had my 3 ops ( SNB, mx and recon and reduction) I was asked to shower with anti bacterial wash first
Wishing you well for tomorrow
Lots of love E x

Hi Kezzie, i had my WLE recently & they told me to try & avoid any painkillers if i could but said i could take them if i really needed to. If u can manage without i would say that’s probably better as u’ll have loads of painkillers in the op. I went to theatre with a banging headache & woke up without one,lol. It obviously depends on what ur painkillers are for as to whether u can manage without them.
I was also asked to shower with the anti-MRSA stuff & told not to use any deodorant or perfume,no make-up either or nail polish. Not sure if it matters that much but i did what they said anyway.
Hope all goes well tomorrow for u, let us know x

Hi Heather
You have just reminded me…I also had a terrible headache/migraine on the morning of my surgery ( dehydration doesn’t help) and woke up headache free.
who’d have thought that morphine could cure my headaches!? LOL!
E x

Hi and thank you both for your replys.

My BCN has just phoned, she apologised for late call but they are short staffed. She couldn’t be sure about the meds so has asked me to call hospital first thing tomorrow.

Sorry this is short reply I didn’t get much sleep last night so really tired now. Just hope I get some tonight.
I will post again and let you know how it went.

Thank you once again. Kezzie xxx

Kezzie, very best of luck for tomorrow. I suggest you get hold of some wet wipes, they’re great for freshening up, particularly if you don’t want to use deodorant. I would probably avoid the perfume and perhaps deodorant on the affected side, but go for it on the unaffected side if you want to. Hospitals can be rather hot and sweaty places, so whatever makes you feel comfortable.

As for the meds, as said before it depends on what they’re for, so speak to the surgical ward tomorrow and see what they say.

Sweet dreams tonight if possible, but don’t fret if you find you can’t sleep, many people (myself included) find it really difficult to sleep the night before surgery.

CM
x

Kezzie,
Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight. Good luck with op tomorrow,hope you’re one of first on list and get down to surgery quickly wishing you a sucessful op and a speedy recovery. When you’re up to it come back and let us know how you are.
God bless, or just blessings if you don’t believe in God,love Julie

Kezzie,
If you are still up - I know operations are no fun, but all I can say is that morphine is amazing - like being wrapped in a Blanket of Love!! It definitely took any distress out of the experience of waking up after my lumpectomy.

I will be thinking of you and hope you are able to go in as relaxed as possible.

Hope you will let us know how it goes when you are ready to post.

Best wishes to you,
Cannoliwings X

Good luck for tomorrow and wishing you a speedy recovery
Lizz xx

Hi Kezzie,

I hope you’re well away in the Land of Nod by now, and just wanted to add my good wishes to you for tomorrow. Sorry you’re not going down until the afternoon - I hate the waiting on the day of the op! We will all be thinking about you. Like everyone else says, give the ward a ring about your painkillers to see if you can take them beforehand, and please let us know how you are once you’re back home after the op.

With much love,
Shelley xxx

PS Cannoliwings - love the “Blanket of Love” description for morphine!

post deleted

Wishing you lots of luck and quick healing today! x

Hi Kezzie

Just had the WLE and SLNB myself on Monday 15th. Not too bad all in all and just a little bit sore afterwards. Hope yours went ok yesterday and that you’re getting plenty of pampering now.

Alison x

Hello all you lovely ladies.

It was such a wonderful surprise to find all of your replies.
Thank you so much for your advice and kind wishes.

I was allowed to take all of my medication which I was grateful for. I have problems with my back and hip and can’t really do without them. I didn’t wear deodorant but went with advice for wet wipes.

Although my operation wasn’t until 2pm I was at hospital for ultrasound and wire in etc for 10.15 then on to nuclear meds for node scans.

Arrived at day surgery around 12.45 and thankfully I was first on list and went to theatre on time.
I was home by 7.15 and eating fish and chips by 8pm. Oooh lovely.

My husband was with me until I booked into day surgery, he couldn’t stay with me as no facilities for visitors. Actually I would have preferred it if he had just dropped me off because he was so worried about me when I was having wire and scans etc. I was fine by the way.

I can honestly say that I’m not as sore as I expected to be and I feel soooo much better now that the lump has gone. I know I have the next two weeks to wait for path results but I feel really positive at the moment, something I’ve not felt since I was diagnosed.

Best wishes and big hugs to you all.
Kezzie xxx

Thanks Kezzie for your post. My op isn’t until 30th and I am worrying myself sick about it. I have actually booked an appointment with GP tomorrow, who I haven’t seen for a couple of years. I am normally so fit and healthy and this diagnosis has completely knocked the stuffing out of me. I am not sleeping at all and the weight is just falling off me. It was really good to read your post and glad your op wasn’t too bad at all. Like you I am having the wire and injection for radioactive dye before the actual op. Just be glad when it is all over.

Barbara

I have to say, I found the WLE site the least problematic, it was at the side of my boob, at 9 o’clock.
The SLNB was quite big and stapled, I found that the most uncomfortable bit of it due to movement and things.
I’ve unfortunately got a keloid scar there now, the WLE scar is really good, like a hairline. The SLNB one is a mess and looks awful, it’s really long. Other people didn’t seem to have this though and my BCN says its the way my skin healed which was unlucky (me, unlucky? Nooooo)

same here. invisible stitches on both scars. WLE is fine and no dent despite size of tumor, SNB thick and indented. Fortunately that one is under my arms.

Kezzie, so pleased to see you bck here and reporting on experience, sounds as if you are doing well. Hope the wait for path report doesn’t drag too much.x
Sunshine, glad you are going to GP and hope they can help to calm you a bit, the waiting is awful! Hope time moves quickly for you and you’ll be here chirpy reporting your successful op and recovery very soon x

Hi everyone.

I’m still feeling quite good, slept really well last night after my first lovely shower since surgery.

I hope all of you that have had recent surgery are doing really well.

Sunshine. I know this is a really scarey time for you and as others have said the waiting between diagnosis and surgery is a terrible time. I’m glad you are seeing your GP I didn’t think of doing that. He will be able to reassure you about everything.

I found that the wire insertion was similar to having local aneasthetic with just a bit of pushing, not painful at all.

Hugs to you all. Kezzie x