Swelling after surgery

I was first diagnosed with bc in 2001 and had chemo, surgery, radio and zoladex injections more or less throughout 2002. I found another lump in Oct last year. Had sentinel nodes done in Dec 07 and was in for surgery last week. I was dischaged last Wednesday. I have now had both breasts reconstructed both done at the same time as the masectomy and have both been done by the same surgeon… However, as the left one is the one done last week, my question is how much will the swelling go down? As at the moment my breast are very very different in size. I know it is early days and things will settle but if it only settles a bit, there is going to be a huge difference in the roundness of the newly done breast. I can’t remember from the first time, how much the swelling went down. If it goes down to half the size it is now, they would both be okay, but at the moment I can’t even get my new boob in a bra cup!!! I see my surgeon next Friday 18th Jan 08 so of course will ask him this question. I don’t really want more surgery to “level” them up…

Hi Mandy, I’m going to see my consultant on friday as well this is my second time round too but both times on the same breast. Mabe i’m not the best person to say as i’v just had a reconstruction too and my breast seems very tender and swollen my surgery was on the 13th dec and have been trying to see if anyone has the same problem i’m hoping the surgeon will be able to reasure me as at the moment i’m beginning to wish i had’nt had it done, it also feels quite lumpy what type of recon did u have i had the tummy one.My bc nurse foned me tday and she said it was normal at the moment and that the swelling takes a couple of months to settle hope it does and i hope yours settles too.

Take Care Reneexx

Hi Mandy and Renee

Just to say that I had a partial masectomy and lymph node removal in the left breast on 26th November 2007. The left was always a bit bigger than the right but is now a lot bigger than the right - by at least a cup size.

The big hole left when they took out the lump was filled with fluid - initially my breast used to make swishing noises when i walk around. This has stopped and tissue is developing.

Like you I am hoping for a natural decrease in size. There is definitely some movement 7 weeks on (i.e. it is getting a bit smaller) but I have developed a small crease in the tissue near the nipple as a result. I am hoping that as the patch next to it decreases too it may iron itself out.

I spoke to my husband who was unusually talkative and helpful about it … he just told me to stop worying about it and be grateful for what I’ve got … have decided that as there is nothing I could do about it yet anyway he is probably right … there will be lots of tiime to worry later - and at least then if something is needed then could go ahead … at the moment higly unikely and I’m just going to forget about it

Good luck both of you
FizBix

Hi Mandy, Renee and FizBix

The swelling is normal, I have been advised that the swelling takes around 2 to 3 months, sometimes longer to go down. I had left mast and ld (back flap) recon on 1st Dec 2007, am 34C and at almost 7 weeks post op, still pretty swollen at the boob with a dent - cleavage area wouldn’t you know it which appeared about 3 weeks ago, also swelling on my back and under my arm still. It was going down but I went swimming on Monday on the advice of my bcn, by that evening the swelling is way up again front and back and slowly subsiding. Also have dark areas on the boob which I think is still bruising deep inside and some staining still from the dye.

My advice on what has worked for me: wear a good sports bra daytime which is deep under the arm and down the body as I am also swollen under the armpit. At bedtime switch to next size up sports bra for comfort but keeps all where it should be which I am told helps the shape long term. I bought cheaper sports bras for bedtime at Asda they do Black and White and I think cost was either £4 or £6 each what a Bargain!! compared to the one I wear in the day which cost me £21 at the hospital and retails for around £25 to £30. Rest as often as you can, do the physio and all activities in moderation but increasing as and when you can, anything that hurts stop doing it.

Mandy in the first 3 to 4 weeks post op I was very swollen and rock solid, bursting out of the sports bra with indentations left on my boob and body when I took it off. Now bras just feel really tight and uncomfy but bearable, boob is softening round the edges, no lumps but solid as a rock about 1cm down all over if that makes sense? Try changing into the next size up if your swelling is excessive but check first with your BCN. My consultant and BCN tell me that the swelling may even go down so much that I will need a small prosthesis to even me up. I like you am very reluctant to undergo any more surgery, if it is for health then I will do it but for cosmetics its no way hosay for me.

Wishing you well Mandy and also to Renee and Fizbix. Have a great weekend all.

luvnhugsCarolexxx

hi all.
i had my mastectomy and reconstruction on 6th DEC. i had a lot of swelling but hard and numb so no pain. i didn’t wear bras for first 1- days no one told me to. my shape is perfect it doesn’t move around. it has got softer now i too hope it goes down a bit more as to big for my liking… i am wearing 38c sports bra from asda to. i find cup OK but strap a bit tight round back where scar is so i just lengthened it with elastic band. could do it up normally now but going for comfort. there has been none of these shaping problems people have said under the arm boob etc. i am generally pleased couldn’t believe there wasn’t much pain. now 6 weeks on i am getting pain in my cleavage area when i get up in morning. is this i have mentioned it on visits to hosp but no one seems concerned… i went hosp Mon and was pulled around a bit i had fluid drained and have a wound under boob they have to dress reaction to something. well after that on Monday i have been in various pains i don’t know if its settling down now all numbness gone etc. the pain is on my boob but above the op almost if its too heavy pulling on skin. worst when i have laid back in armchair then go to get up. any advice please anyone the same. i am back at hospital this pm anything i should ask as don’t seem to be getting answers thanks
xxxxxxxx julie xxxxxxxx

hi everyone how r u all doing, well i hope. To Julie i was having a lot of problems with my boob too, swelling, tenderness and hard lumps all around the outside of the scar, but one of the worst bit was just at the side, felt really hard and swollen, but i saw my consultant today and she said i had titanium clips inside breast that i mabe can feel for now but assured me that the hardness and lumps would def soften and my new boob would shrink at the side and droop slightly making it more natural,in saying that it has softened a good bit since i last posted so things feeling better everyday. You can buy bra expanders that can help with your bras and when i go to bed i use a firm pillow to rest my arm on and that really helps,according to my plastic surgeon i have to wear a bra day and night for at least six wks, but i have to take it off for a couple of hours each night just to get some peace. I’m sorry your still having problems with fluid and i hope it gets better soon. Oh forgot to say i get that pulling sensation too especially if i try to move to my side when i’m in bed but surgeon says it’s just everything getting better,all you can do is take their word for it.Is everyone on this post about to start their chemo i was told today i will start mine in about two wks but can’t get rads as it is a recurrance in the same breast also i’m oestneg herneg so no tablets.
Hope to read all your posts soon.
Take care everyone
Lots of Love Reneexxx

Hi Mandy, Julie and Renee

Mandy, how did your appointment go on Friday? Hope you are ok, look forward to hearing from you.

Renee I am lucky not to need rads or chemo, hope that your chemo does its job and does not affect you too adversely. echo what you tell Julie for wearing good sports bra day and night, I occasionally use just a secret support tshirt for a few hours to get relief. Take good care of yourself and let us know how you are getting along. All the best to you.

Julie, I sleep with ice packs in a pillowcase at my back as it is too sore otherwise, I have still some swelling from fluid gradually decreasing and also have nerve pain which they gave me gabapentin for it is really helping me. Hope that you are feeling much better soon. Different hospitals give different advice I get the pain in the cleavage area at all times of day, it has helped wearing bra day and night which I was not advised to do by bcn and consultant, that is advice I got here so please try it even tho your shape is good I am sure that it will help with easing the pain.

Wishing you all well, luvnhugsCarolexxx

Curly Cat. I was told my cancer is a grade 3. No spread to lymph nodes. Not hormonal which the cancer in my other breast was. But they recommend me to have chemo. Not sure when that is to start but seeing oncologist next week sometime. The BC nurse said there is a chemo now for Breast Cancer that just makes your hair thin rather than lose it. I have very thick hair so that won’t be too bad. I didn’t actually lose all my hair last time but lost about 80% of it. Kept my eyebrows and lashes etc etc. So will know more next week. Thanks for everyones comments. The seroma on my back is quite large now and a pain in the bum!!! But I will put up with it. Friday was told it will get worse before it gets better and peaks about 4 weeks so only a week and a half to go. Last time it just disappeared overnight. He also said it can take up to a year for the swelling around the breast area to go completely but the swelling will go down. But if I am not happy he will take the implant out and put a smaller one in and it is only a quick job and will in and out of hospital within a day. So heres to the chemo eh folks???

Hi Mandy

Great that there is no spread to the lymphs, I am so pleased for you. Chemo round 2 for you now, I wish you all the very best with that and hope this new chemo will leave your hair intact, lucky that you have thick hair, fingers crossed for you. Hoping that you are feeling ok. take care.

luvnhugsCarolexxx

Hi Julie

How are you getting on? Feeling much better by now I hope. Take care.
luvnhugsCarolexxx