Swimming after reconstruction

Hi

I would appreciate any advice / experiences of swimming after reconstruction. I am 2 years post op and have started swimming as part of my keep fit regime. Is there any stroke I should /should not do? I’m worried that I’ve done some damage as my reconstructed breast feels very uncomfortable after my swim this morning

Thanks

Caterpillar

Hi caterpillar and welcome to the BCC forums,

I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with their experiences, in addition, if you type your query into the ‘search’ facility at the top of the page you can read previous threads/posts on the subject. You are also welcome to call our helpline or use our ‘Ask the Nurse’ email service if you would like to ask someone about the concerns you have, the number to call is 0808 800 6000 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm, the ATN service can be accessed via the ‘Support for you’ tab at the top of this page.

Best wishes
Lucy

Same here Caterpillar.
I took my daughter swimming yesterday and had rotten night with my recon giving me jip!!

Kat xx

Hi Caterpillar.

I’ve swum since four weeks after reconstruction, no problems at all, but IO am a regular swimmer.

Redlou

Hi
Thanks for your comments. You know what I mean Kat. My recon feels a bit better today but still uncomfortable. I’m not a regular swimmer like you Redlou and probably should have paced myself a bit slower. Is breast stroke OK? Have tried back crawl but struggle a bit with my weak arm.

Caterpillar x

I went swimming last week for the first time after my reconstruction (10 months since I had it) and was not prepared for the uncomfortable feeling that I had - it was quite a shock. I swam 30 lengths though as it did get better as I swam however I have had trouble with my recon ever since and quite a bit of pain. I am hoping to go again this week as I desperately need to exercise more now I am back at work and hope it is just like the muscle ache you get after any form of exercise after a long lay off!

I had hydro therapy after my reconstruction and was encouraged to swim, but must say even a year on i do find it difficult, but usually afterwards i find things a little more comfortable the next day.

Hope you start to find things easier as you get fitter caterpiller.

Thanks All

I guess we should try to take our swimming more steadily. My discomfort has eased over the week and I will swim again at the weekend but will take it more easily. I think exercise is really important and I do feel much better afterwards initially. The discomfort is a very small ‘price to pay’!!

Best wishes

Caterpillar

Hi there, I build up any activity that would have used my latisimus dorsi muscles had they still been on my back, as they still often think they are still back muscles and jump or get tight during such activites. They are then bound to get tired and may cause your new boobs to ache … just a thought!
Buff