cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming, running & cycling

18 REPLIES 18
OrangeGirl

Re: Swimming, running & cycling

No activity for 12 weeks? B****cks to that!! Do whatever makes you feel good.
Good luck.
strebord

Hi Tracey

Hope your 12 weeks fly by and you're back to normal activities asap. Good luck with the chemo, sounds like you have the right mindset which I think is a major factor in this journey.
Tra16

Thank you ladies. I've heard such horror stories about chemo .

I had a mx right side no reconstruction last thurs and surgery team telling me can't do anything for 12 weeks in relation to running /gym. Although I'm only a week on I'm healing quickly.

After shock of diagnosis I quickly decided I want to push through this journey rather than be dragged through it. Everyone telling me I need to slow down but I feel fine

I go back weds for chemo plan and I want to try and live as normal a life as poss esp as have a 3 and 5 yr old. Your posts have inspired me

Thank you so much
Tracey
X
KennysGirl

I'm a newbie - diagnosed on Friday - and feel so happy reading your post. I am running a half marathon on Sunday (the show muct go on) and really don't want to stop running after surgery. 

OrangeGirl

I had a mx. I was back fell running after 14 days, mountain biking after 19 days. Crack on!
Rodent

Her2 neg, so no herceptin. Currently on tamox, but about to be switched to zolodex injections plus exemestane which is apparently the new thing for under 35s with er+ and node involvement.
Rodent

My oncologist has always been happy for me to do everything, hence I carried on throughout treatment and was back in the bike just 3 1/2 weeks post double mx. (No recon tho, so easier recovery).

Surgeon team however, much more stern with me...... Not impressed with my impatience In getting back to normal.

I think it totally depends on how you feel, and only you know. Just take their advice into account!
kazzerbigpants

Hi ladies...your posts have made me feel so much happier...are any of you on herceptin...my oncologist is horrified that i want to get back into my exercise
OrangeGirl

Just had my one year anniversary. Single , left sided. No recon. There is no technique they can offer me which won't impact my lifestyle, wearing a rucksack, running, biking etc. Single booby it is!
Rodent

Yep is road biking, so much less jarring than mtb!! I generally do what I think I can, have run a bit during chemo although I don't like it much at the best of times so I've kind of used the chemo as a reason not to do much!! Have a 16 month old daughter too so exercise other than cycle commuting doesn't generally get a look in, and my husband just got a place running for Macmillan in the London Marathon (sorry Breastcancercare!!) so he's gonna be out running a lot instead!!

How long ago was your mx, was it bilateral or single?? Did you have recon?

OrangeGirl

If it's road biking you're doing, I bet you could be back on the bike sooner than I was. Mountain biking is a bit more jarring! It's good to mobilise the area post surgery. Just do things that are right for you at the right time, don't wait for someone to tell you you are alright to do something, just try it.
Good luck.
Rodent

That's very reassuring to me Orangegirl!! I cycle 11 miles a day round trip to work and have been throughout chemo but worried what I will be like after op, am facing double MX..... Really miss my bike when I don't cycle so hoping to get back on it soon after op!
OrangeGirl

Get out there, girls! I was running again 14 days after a mastectomy and then I was mountain biking again after 19 days.
Would run 8 miles in the morning before a chemo session then be running again 48 hours later. Averaged 15 miles a week running during the whole of my treatment with at least 2 mountain bike rides per week. Only thing that kept me sane (along with a big stash of Haribo!)
strebord

Wow, what an inspiration! I'd better get on with it! Thanks so much for your advice, really useful especially the cycling x
Swirly

Ooops, I forgot to add about cycling....I found gripping and moving my arm more difficult so I wasn't confident about having to stop or move quickly because of others. The dr basically told me not to put myself in situations that would make me use reflex actions to react. I didn't swim for ages as I find chlorine very drying and wanted to look after the new skin.

Swirly

Hi, we all heal differently and it depends how big and where your incision is for how it will behave when you move. I checked it out in the mirror to make sure. I was very active before treatment so at the point you are now I was getting back into it. Some of my sports bras were a better fit to keep my boob still if running. You don't want a bit of bounce making that scar any bigger than necessary. I did lots of short runs to start with, ie walking and then running a short way until I felt confident. I love aerobics classes so just didn't use that arm to stretch as I'd just get carried away and over use it. Kettlercise was by far the best class for recouperating for me, just went down a weight or didn't use one at all for that arm and I could see a huge difference each week. I did this class much longer than any other, after a mastectomy and well into chemo.

strebord

Thanks Mary, I will hopefully be seeing surgeon next week and be able to get an answer. In the meantime I am walking as much as I can!
mary32

Hiya

I understand where you're coming from! I'm a gym bunny and cyclist. I went back to gym very soon after, doing leg stuff first then gradually trying the arm machines.

For the bike I waited about five weeks before trying and it was hard going, I felt the strain and ache on the affected side for a while. And was having to shake my arm etc when stopped at lights.

Hopefully someone will come along with swimming experience.

Mary

strebord

Swimming, running & cycling

I had WLE and SNB nearly 3 weeks ago and am desperate to get back to exercising. Does anyone have experience of these three activities? Thanks all xxx