Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming while going through chemo

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Swimming while going through chemo

I swam throughout chemo, head under water, the lot. My BCN nurse encouraged it. I just avoided the week after chemo and swam twice a week in weeks 2 and 3. Never got an infection or anything. Go for it.
Guest user
Not applicable

Told the same here... no swimming due to risk of infection etc.. x
Guest user
Not applicable

Ditto for me. I was told swimming in a public pool would be an infection risk while my immune system was compromised during chemo. Likewise, I was told it was sensible to avoid crowded places at the stage in my chemo cycles when my white blood-cell count was likely to be at its lowest. Worked for me. I became a hermit for certain periods but had no infections whatsoever, not even a cough or a cold. This meant my chemo sessions all went ahead as planned.
Cassowary

My oncologist also advises against it for the same reason as Cybele's.
Cybele

My oncologist advised me very strongly against swimming during chemo because of the risk of infection.
Louise_BCC

Hi Jill

If you're a little worried, perhaps a discussion with your medical team would help. Alternatively, give the Helpline a call tomorrow on 0808 800 6000 who will be happy to talk through any questions you have.

They're open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2.

Kind regards.

Louise, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Swimming while going through chemo

I am keen to take a break to centre parcs with the family im May but I am having weekly Taxol is it possible for me to go in the pool if i was to keep my head out of the water or is it not advised?? Kids would be disappointed if they missed the pool there

Jill xx