Swollen ankles and feet?

This problem seems to have developed for the last few days.

Does anyone else have this?

Any suggestions to help it?

Treatment regime = taxotere and herceptin

plus many pills and potions to combat the SE

xx

Hi,
yes I am with you on this annoying side effect too and my wedding ring has been nearly sawing my finger off. It has never been off since I got married and determined to keep it on if possible. I am actually a lot better now, so not sure if I cured it or it just went. For the last 2 weeks I have had a middle sized pillow at the foot of the bed inside the covers and sleep with my feet raised every night. As long as the pillow is not too fat it is not too annoying and it is keeping them warmer too as I am cold. I think your circulation gets sluggish when you are cold so maybe it helps both. I am much better but still keeping it going
good luck
Lily fat feet x

Hi Peacock,
I had taxotere and had terrible problems with fluid retention, I think I put on about half a stone! When I look back at photos of me I can see it in my face - it’s soooo puffy, but at the time it was my legs and feet where it was most noticeable and my jeans were much tighter.
My Onc helpfully advised me that there was nothing I could do but that it would disperse after finishing tax, it did but it took quite a long time.
Sorry I’ve got nothing more helpful to say…except that it WILL get better.
Claire x

Thanks Claire and Lily, I feel a bit reassured now that (a) my weight gain, bloatedness and tight clothes are not just me and (b) it sounds like the swollen ankles are also a SE.

Don’t we just go through it eh?

Hi Peacock

After checking with the hospital first, I went to my GP a few days ago as, like you my ankles, calves and thighs have suddenly ballooned (I already had some swollen fingers and toes). Perhaps it’s a No 4 Taxotere special? (Sounds like something you’d order for a Chinese meal…)

Anyway, he prescribed me a diuretic on the spot and it seems to be making a difference as my ankles are definitely slightly less puffy this morning. I couldn’t stand the swelling - I was starting to waddle and dragging these heavy legs around was painful, leaving me breathless after about 100m and maklng me feel really down. I love walking and was managing to keep doing it on Taxotere until this happened.

I’d say…check with doctors first and see if you can get a prescription for something suitable for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

x

S

Hi Peacock

I have it too. I’ve had to wear the cheapo ring I got when pregnant as my fingers are so swollen that my wedding and engagement rings were cutting into me. I’ve had my last TAX now so hoping it will soon go.

Good luck

Kinden
x

Thanks all again, roll on 2009 when most of us will be through this nasty piece of work of treatment and losing weight and feeling normal again!