Swollen ankles - fluid retention?

I have finished chemo and am now one month into taking Tamoxifen (will start rads in a few weeks). I have noticed that by the end of the day my ankles (left one more so than right), feet and wrists are quite swollen and puffy. My stomach also feels very bloated (no, not too many cakes!).

Is this likely to be fluid retention and if so what can I do to help reduce it?

Any advice very welcome!

Louisa

Hi Louisa
I finished rads in Dec 07 and have been on Tamoxifen since early Oct 07. No chemo. I’ve suffered with swollen ankles on and off for a couple of years now, mostly when the weather is warm or humid. My friend suggested that I didn’t drink enough water. Sounds crazy when your suffering from fluid retention but this weekend I increased my water drinking and the swelling has been better. Maybe worth a try.
Wishing you all the best for your rads.
Caz x

Hi Louisa, I just logged on as I am taking Tamoxifen and have noticed that not only are my feet and ankles very swollen but so are my fingers, so at least i know i am not alone. I drink loads of water but will try and drink more.
Have you noticed any other effects ?
Best of luck Tracey x

I was taken off Tamoxifen immediately when one of my ankles kept swelling to huge proportions and put on Arimidex. I suggest you contact your BCN or oncologist and ask for advice.

Hi All,

Thanks for advice. Spooks, my ankles only swell sometimes, usually on hot days or if I’ve been on my feet all day and not hugely, but noticeably. Will keep an eye on the situation tho and if I feel it’s getting worse will go to GP. I will be seeing my onc next week to get marked up for rads, so will mention it to him.

Casbeds, will increase my water intake as I know I don’t drink enough (well, water anyway!) and see if that helps.

Tracey, I haven’t really noticed any other side effects. Physically I am feeling okay at the moment. I am pretty tired and irritable but don’t know if I can put that down to Tamoxifen? My periods stopped when I was on chemo and they haven’t started again, will check with onc when I see him if they’re gone for good. How are you feeling generally? Have you finished chemo/rads?

Take care all,

Louisa xxx