TAKING A CHEMO BREAK -OR NOT?

Hello Everyone!

i was just typing out some thoughts regarding this topic on a different thread, when I suddenoy realised id love to gain a wider perspective on the subject from all those very seasoned ladies who have been around much longer than I and who have had chemo breaks.

Moijan???

I have been on one chemotherapy or another for about 3 1/2 years now for metastasis. We all know that bc is really clever and can become resistant to a chemo after a break( or even without a break)

So, as this has happened to me on three chemos now, following a break( mostly short breaks of a week, or two) i find the throught of a longer break a bit daunting. My biggest fear would be that the metstatic bc, instead of just spreading in the two sites it has taken root in - might spread elewhere.

On the other hand, my current chemo…a really nice gentle one, which has given me few side effects - it appears now to be affecting me more…I can cope with that, but I dont know how this chemo affects people long term. Also, I feel my body needs some recovery time. 

Would love to hear from everyone who would like to offer their experiences on the subject.

best wishes

Moijan?

Hi, I have had a couple of breaks when on Paclitaxel and 1 when on Eribulin but I am also nervous taking breaks even though onc reassures me it will be ok . Paclitaxel stopped working soon after a 1 week break and I have had renewed symptoms of bloating after recent 1 week break from Eribulin . Scan result on Tuesday so will find out if it is still working! I have lobular BC with Mets to peritoneum.
J☀️

Hi Moijan
I had a massive amount of fluid . My abdomen swelled like a balloon. They drained the fluid and did a biopsy . I started straight on Paclitaxel and ascites (fluid ) didn’t return for 8 months . All scans show that the cancer is stable even though the fluid returned but I don’t have much faith in scans as I know that lobular c is hard to see as it is not a solid tumour . Fluid may be returning now but it seems to come and go so it might just be my diet ( lots of veg whole food) onc says that it is probably not returning as it wouldn’t come and go like that. I hope he’s right ! ??:sunny::heart:

Hi, I started on cape in January after being diagnosed with SBC in the lymph nodes in my neck and chest and the pelvic bone.  I had 5 cycles and when I had the scan results it showed progression in my ribs, I had had pain in my ribs from before diagnosis but Onc had said he didn’t know why, so I’m unsure if it really was progression of just not picked up.  My Onc then added vinorelbine to the cape and I had 2 cycles of that but as the side effects were quite bad he stopped it.  I then had a 7 week break as I had to have a tooth out and the new regime had to be sorted out before starting weekly Paclitaxol.  During the break the pain in my ribs and pelvis increased and  the swollen lymph nodes in my neck increased in size and number.  I have just finished my first cycle of Paclitaxol and ended up in hospital for 3 days after they got my blood results back before the final dose.  My magnesium levels were dangerously low, I had been complaining about cramps, muscle pain and my heart was racing, also my blood pressure has been very up and down.  They took me of the omeprazol that I had been on since chemo for my primary 13 years ago, it turns out that it can stop you absorbing magnesium and other minerals from your food.  After 2 infusions of magnesium my levels were high enough to allow me to have the last weekly Paclitaxol dose a day late.  I am due to see my Onc on Wednesday and am hoping that he is still happy for me to continue with Paclitaxol as I don’t want another enforced break so soon after starting.  I am also booked in for a CT scan on Thursday  Although the hospital said I could resume taking omeprazol again I am looking to stop it if I can after reading up about it.

Sending hugs to you all Sandra x

That’s interesting Moijan as I’ve never been offered an MRI , only CT so will definitely ask about that . I was told it was quite common for lobular to métastase to the peritoneum or GI tract in general. I too had a year before they picked it up initially ( also quite common ! )
Have you ever asked for a second opinion ?
Janie xx

Hi Sandra,

a rough ride recently for you then xx sorry about that. I hate being in hospital, feels like a waste of good time!

have you asked for filgrastim to boost your white cells? If you need that, that is.

eribulin can do the qt interval thingy and im very careful now about cross checking any ott drugs, vitamins etc now.

i know its a worry for you, but they will sort out the best path for you xx

chin up now xx

Moijan???