THE BIG C

Noticed there is a new ’ comedy series ’ with the title THE BIG C starting on MORE4 on Thursday at 11pm, is about a woman dx with terminal cancer and the way she goes about putting 'things in order '…I know my views…was wondering what other peoples are ?

Karen x

I saw this as well; I know I won’t be watching. I lost a cousin when she was only 42 to cancer, which started as bc.

I am over stage 1 of treatment in the surgery & now waiting to get rads arranged. It would worry me too much as in middle of my own treatment, even though mine very early bc and all removed.

Probably give me nightmares, I may record it to watch later, especially if it “funny”.

Really?? Haven’t heard about this new show but it sounds in very poor taste + doesn’t seem to fit the genre ‘comedy’. I certainly won’t be watching as a 33 yr old with stage 4 triple neg bc. Can’t see how anyone could find such a situation amusing but maybe it’s just a little 2 close to home 4me…?
X

Uh, uh… it is seriously funny, but you do need to be in a place where you can laugh at how ridiculous the situations are. For me, it works, because my coping strategy is to laugh at the absurdity of it all, and this just ‘clicks’ with me. Muffet (I think) posted a link to watch the first series online a while back, and I was peeing myself laughing at it - and that was not too long after my initial dx, so I may just be a bit mad…

Remember too, that this is a US programme, and if anything, the american tv industry is far more precious about not offending people/always ending with a moral moment… so when they do get more ‘real’ in their sitcoms (Malcolm in the Middle/The Simpsons even), it somehow hits the spot in a surprising way.

By all means, exercise your right to pick your viewing and don’t watch if you feel it in poor taste, or likely to upset you - but for anyone who is a little intrigued… here’s the other side of the coin!

Sophie xx

I will certainly watch it to make up my own mind about it! I assume that it isn’t laughing because people have cancer, more the funny situations that they find themselves in. After all, I have found lots of amusing episodes that people have recounted on here, about experiences associated with cancer, that have had me almost crying with laughter.

Too many of us unfortunately find that we have to live with secondary cancer! We are real people and I for one wish that more dramas and sitcoms etc had characters that could portray what living with the constant fear of death hanging over them can be like. Too many people are not aware of what our lives are like. The more awareness that is raised the better.

I am trying to get on as normally as possible (I have bone and liver mets)I don’t hide myself away not talking about uncomfortable issues. Normal to me is being able to laugh at myself and situations I sometimes find myself in. I am glad that somebody is attempting to raise these issues in a comedy form. I may watch it and decide that it glosses over issues and not watch any further, but somehow I doubt it.
After all laughter is a great medicine!

People who are uncomfortable with it don’t have to watch, but for those of us facing the same issues I think it if it is well written we might enjoy watching it…I will report again on Friday!

Nicola xx

I’ll have a look if I can stay awake that late, which is doubtful, see what I think. There’s such a thin line…

Cheryl

im doing to try an episode, and see how it goes. thanks for the info.
eva

Sounds appalling to me - in my opiniomn cancer or anything to do with it just isn’t remotely funny, in fact it is unequivocally tragic.

But I probably won’t be able to avoid having a look at this through morbid curiosity.

I have watched the whole series and loved it !!!

as long as you have a sense of humour, I would recommend watching it.

I laughed so much nearly peed myself, also I cried along with it too.

Give it ago…

xxx

On after my bedtime, as I have to be up early.

I’ll be recording the series to watch when all treatment behind me & I could do with a laugh I hope!

Thought you might be interested in this article on the Guardian website about this programme, written by Deborah Orr who is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer: guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/03/cancer-comedy-the-big-c

There are quite a lot of comments from readers underneath the article too.

Ooo thanks for that,I had forgotten it was on tonight and you just reminded me :slight_smile: so I’ve set the box to record it.Too late for me to watch I have to be up too early in the mornings.

Melxx

Hi all!

Just watched first ep.On Demand. No, it isn’t morbid or wallowing in misery, but I didn’t find it funny either. I suppose the best you could say is that the subject matter is interesting and different, but I didn’t like or empathise with the main character at all. Much prefer “Nurse Jackie” - a similar kind of prog. - strong female lead character, but quirkier and funnier and has very little to do with cancer! Just my opinion - others may disagree…

All the best, Sarahx

hi everyone

i,ve just watched the first episode as well and didn,t think it was much to write home about. Think with it being the first episode it was more about introducing the characters and establishing the theme, so i will give it another go next week. Saw the main character (forgotten her name)on TV this morning having an interveiw about the Big C. She is brilliant, so i’ll watch it again if not only for that reason.
love Maria x

I thought ‘The Big C’ was hilarious and Laura Linley, who plays the main character, is a fab actress. I think it will get better and better and i intend to stick with it. I try not to take things too seriously, i have learned that life is most certainly ‘too short’ so i will laugh long and hard whilst still able and enjoy the funny things in life. xx

I wasnt goint to watch it and ended up watching it. Not extremely funny but certainly you can identify in a humorous way.

Hi all!

Yes, I agree (in part), the second ep. was a lot better than the first one - I actually laughed a couple of times! I liked the bit where the main woman and her student shot paintballs at her son’s school bus. In fact, the student is very good all round. But I still like “Nurse Jackie” better - all the characters are interesting and I enjoyed the last one - called “Apple Bong”, which coincidently had a cancer patient in it! I can’t really describe what it was about on here, but excellent!

Love Sarah xx

yeah I liked some of this but it wasn’t really much about cancer anyway,i didn’t see that she had any symptoms at all ???the paintball scene was good though