TP53 genetic testing

Hi ladies, I was wondering if anyone has been told they might have a faulty gene called TP 53. My BRACA testing came back as negative but consultant believes I could test positive for this gene due to strong family history. I need to decide whether I want to be tested for this gene, if it came back posivtive there would be a 60% chance of a new cancer returning. I need to decide if I need to know or not as I have been told that I would not be routinely screened other than my breast cancer screenings. 

Hi gg123

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer your their experiences and knowledge.  In the meantime can I suggest you might find it helpful to give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can tal through your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hello there - I was tested for TP53 a couple of months ago. I am 29 and was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. My cousin had a brain tumour at 21 and died shortly after so I qualified for testing. Although it was scary I went ahead with testing as I thought it best to know and the implications it has on other family members. It is a very hard decision to make. I’m currently going through the BRCA 1 and 2 testing and its come back ‘a variant of unknown significance’ in my BRCA2 so I have to have more testing to understand if its causing my cancer. Again I feel it better to know than not know because of implications for my mum, aunts, cousins and so on. Hope that was in some way helpful xx