Tact2 trial

maltomlin

Re: Tact2 trial

What a relief!!

Mal

ForumMember

HI
iv'e been, could have been the dark chocolate, the weetabix, the liquorice,the fruit smoothies, or just the lot, I feel so much better, sorry just had to share.
Shirl

maltomlin

Hi Shirl

Nice to hear you're feeling normal (whatever that is) again. The wig sounds good. I love mine and would have become a recluse without a wig that I felt confident in. Felt a bit strange the first few times I went out in it, as though everyone was staring at me, but no probs now. In fact I think I'll wear it after on my bad hair days.

Re constipation - I always suffered the opposite. Couldn't drink friut juice etc otherwise was glued to the loo for hours. Many people on here swear by movicol sachets which you can get from the chemist or the good old remedy of syrup of figs. Anything's worth a try.

Hope you're feeling OK junieliz. I'm just off for an appointment with Occupational Health. That'll be fun.

Take care

Mal x

avonlea

Hi Trojan,
Try some pineapple if you could and aspargus, dates also help the loo business...

take care

xxx

ForumMember

Hi
I got new meds for the heartburn and now im feeling back to normal, well pre chemo anyway, just helped cut n paste 4 strips of paper today, we may get it papered by friday, new wig is really good the daughter didn't even notice i had it on, nor did my sister, but my neice thought i'd had it cut a little shorter ready for the fall out, so i feel so more confident about wearing the wig,
Julinez so sorry about your infection also, and hope you are feeling a lot better after it.

well i think i might need more meds, i aint been the loo yet, despite eating lots of fruit and curry, but no stomach yet, just lots of wind,
Oh the joys of this illness
take it easy all, i intend to do nothing tomorrow, my sister is going back to Ikea more shopping
Shirl

maltomlin

Hi all

Sorry about your infection junieliz and the need for a transfusion. Hope it's not leaving you too rough. It's amazing isn't it, if you'd had to go for a transfusion a few months ago you'd be scared stiff, but after all the other s..t, it's just another hiccup. Know what you mean about a cold head, I'm always freezing. Hopefully we'll have a decent amount of hair by the time the frost arrives, although looking at how slowly it's growing I'm wondering if I'll have any to speak of by next summer. Like me - 2 to go!

Hope the rest of you ladies are doing well and taking it easy.

Mal x

junieliz

Hi all, had second CMF yesterday, seems I have got infection in the line so on antibiotics for a week, also having blood transfusion on Wednesday so off again this week thought I was going to have three weeks break now, well I know they are looking after me. I haven't done too bad so far so cannot grumble.

Shirl hope you are getting over the sickness, don't do too much,

Mal thank you for your kind words, glad you have had a good week, I am in the same boat as you have plenty of spikes hopefully it won't be long in coming back, but we sure do feel the cold on our heads, even the pillows in bed feel cold don't you agree?

Take care all love junieliz

maltomlin

Hi Girls

Sorry about the sickness Shirl, but you seem to have it under control and you may not have it each time (you must tell the nurse though), I was sick on the 2nd cycle but not the others. Decorating?? You must be mad! careful not to overdo it.

Junieliz & Liz - glad you're keeping OK. I've had a great week-end and just feel 'normal' now they've reduced my dose. I finish Xeloda at the beginning of December and can't wait. No more needles, just the boob in the microwave sensation to look forward to! I'm really jealous of your hair Liz. Mine still feels like spikes!

Take it easy ladies.

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi Lovelies
I was throwing up at again at 9pm last night, but that was the only time yesterday, and once it's done i feel so jmuch better, I slept quite well last night only woke up at 5.30 for about half hr then slept till 8am. I have been helping OH decorate the daughters room, i have just been cutting the lenghts and pasting them, i usually do it all but he has done ok for his first attempt at papering, i told him he has been lying to me for the past 16 years,
My 17 tabs are 8 Dexamethasone steroids, 8 Domperidone anti sickness, 2 Ondansetron anti sickness, but i drop to 14 tomorrow, then 10 the next day, then 8 anti sick pills if i need them and i think i just might.
OH just getting ready to take Emma to her skating practice 2 hrs for panto rehearsal, I used to do this but we think it will be to cold for me to sit around, so i will stay home and cook dinner, roast lamb emma's favourite i hope i can keep it down,
My oldest sister and 2 neices have all sold their vans this year, and im sure they will miss the touring, but they have invested in a static in Caernarfon.
Im glad you have fore warned me about the sideboards, i might have started to panic.
take it easy
Shirl

junieliz

Hi all, nice to hear from you,

Mal I am glad it's not only me with the runny nose, drives you a bit mad, I will be off again tomorrow for day 8 CMF I finish chemo on the 12 January 09 but yes am over half way now, not too many problems so far, but feel so sorry for others who it has had a bad effect on thinking about you all. Yes I will be having rads don't know how many though not asked about it yet as too much info at first but will do the next time I see onc, then tablets for 5 years, take care

Hi Liz, the show was good enjoyed it, my sister bought a lovely caravan fleetwood heritage, top of the range, we bought a avondale as the price was really good due to them finishing, we still got the three year cover with it, and it has a fixed bed, so great no more making up the bed. Hope you enjoy the show, and that you are doing ok with your treatment, how have you been on the chemo. Take care all love junieliz

lizziemum

HI Shirl
Yes Skye was great. What are your 18 tablets for - sounds horrendous I only had 10 at most?

Hi Mal,
Unfortunatley Skye was our last trip this year as most of the sites close but we will be away at easter, not decidied where yet but something to look forward to. Should be feeling great by then as don't have to have rads so when xeloda is done that is me until recon middle/end of next year. Can't beleive that treatment has only12 weeks to go. It's been going on since first op in May. Never thought it would end but there is now a light at the end of my tunnel and getting nearer.. It can be done without too much stress if you just go with the flow and be positive.
No sideboards but hair is definitely getting longer - feels more like hair now not just spikes

Hi Junieliz
Will be going to Glasgow caravan show in feb too far for national. Hope your 2nd cmf goes ok. Isn't it great now we are on the 2nd half of the trial

have a good rest of weekend

Liz

maltomlin

Hi Girls

Junieliz, Over half way now! Runny nose yep. Still got that. And yes I've a covering of hair (more like down really). Glad you're coping with CMF OK and getting out and about. A new tourer - that's something to liik forward to. Steroids at 12? That's even better than teatime. Sorry to hear you're line's still sore but only another 3 to go. On xeloda tablets there's no IV, just blood tests and I keep telling myself 'only another 2 needles'. Can actually see light at the end of the tunnel now. Will you be having rads & hormone treatment afterwards? I've started looking at the rads threads so I know what to expect.

How you doing today Shirl? Did you sleep OK?

Liz, when are you planning your next trip? 6weeks since my last epi and the hair is there but so slow........ I've also got sideboards growing! I would have panicked if I hadn't read about it beforehand (it's common and falls out after a couple of weeks).

Take care ladies

Mal x

junieliz

hi all you ladies, I am doing ok, legs back to normal after two days, I am going back on Monday day 8 for second dose of CMF will mention my legs to nurse. Do others suffer the runny nose? as soon as head goes down it's like a tap small price to pay I know. The Isle of Sky sounds nice, we went off in our tourer on the 03 October for the weekend first time since April so enjoyed the break. We went to the caravan show at NEC on Thursday and bought a new tourer so looking forward to going off in it. I was tired at the end of the show though. When I was taking steroids on epi I took two at 8am and two at 12pm so did not keep me awake. It seems like I have hair coming through now epi has finished very slow but a little covering. The line is still restricting movement in my right arm and is still a bit sore but getting better, the veins are still bothering me so I wonder what they would have been like without the line. Take care all you lovely ladies love junieliz

maltomlin

Hi girls

Good to hear it went well Shirl. Just make sure you don't have your last steroids too late otherwise you won't sleep. Some say take the last one mid-afternoon but I always took them about 5pm and was OK. The massage, drinks and lunch sound good. No such luck at Christies - not even a drink! I always took my own. Take it easy. Yep 2 weeks between epis, so need to conserve your energy. Glad the nurse is coming to do your injection. Some people complain of pain after the injection but I never had any side effects. Hope you're the same.

Liz - battling the wind on the Isle of Skye sounds invigorating! Xeloda next week - you'll see the difference (and the hair grows too).

Take it easy

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi
well first one over and it wasnt bad at all, the nurse was lovely my meds were ready when i got there, she found a good vein so that was good, a lovely WI lady kept popping in to ask if me or OH needed a hot drink, then afterwards a nice red cross lady offered me a shoulder and arm massage, but she couldn't do my bad arm as it was soooooooooooooooo sore when she tried, then they brought in lunch, also they all kept saying they loved my pink streaks in my hair, and saying how healthy i looked, I know they mean well, BUT, i dont know i just feel i have a BUT, im not in my head. I didnt realise how many pills they would give me to bring home,18 a day, and the district nurse is coming to do my jag, so thats a releif OH was gonna try, I thought i would get 2 weeks off then have next epi the following week, But i go back for the next one 2 weeks today on 31st i might go in fancy dress. ha ha. I have just slight heartburn tonight and feel tired but not sleepy, weird.

Lizziemum, I am so envious of you that you have been away to Skye, holding an awning down in the wind adds to the experience in a funny way, Glad your OH was spoiling you, its well deserved, and well done you no more epi, hope the xeloda work well for you.

Protheseis lady was great,and she agreed the knickers were to expensive, so i was mis=match lady today. I have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive, silly me i thought i would get it today, with the illness you have to wait for everything.

takc care all enjoy the weekend
Shirl

lizziemum

Hi everyone
Just back from my week on Isle of Skye with our touring careavan. Had a lovely quiet week being spoilt and cooked for by OH (doesn't usually happen). Weather was rather fierce though - thought the awning was going to take off several times.
So much has been happening on here whilst I've been away its hard to keep track. Welcome to everyone new sorry you jouned us.
My last epi is over - yippee and my hair is growing back already. Get my first xeloda on Wednesday - hope \i do as well as you Mal
Take care everyone
I'll try to keep up to date noe
Liz

maltomlin

Hi all

Shirl, let us know how you got on. The first one over and now you'll know what to expect next time. The bras sound good but the pants? Were they gold plated?

Hope the rest of you are ekeeping well.

Mal x

ForumMember

Hey Ladies
went to the local BC support group tonight and they had a lady from a Bra Company in displaying her wares and offering a measuring service, Well i got measured and i have gone up a size but dropped a cup size, so picked 2 lovely bra's and she had beenie boobies, i tried one and it was very good, but when i went to pay i nearly died at the price of the matching pants £27.99, so when i wear one of my new bras i hope i dont get hit by a bus because my knickers won't match or i will be going commando.
On countdown for the morning, i have requested 2 poached eggs on toast from OH, with plenty of water, and im going to wear one of my lovely new bras to go for my prothesis, It felt so nice to have bought some lovely underwear, and OH said they feel lovely and look great,
Life can go on

Shirl

maltomlin

Hi Girls

Shirl, this time tomorrow you'll be able to cross the 1st epi off the calendar! And yes thanks the nausea has gone already. So she was right, the dose must have been too high.Take it easy today and don't forget to have something to eat before you go tomorrow. Good luck. Glad the prosthesis is getting sorted at last.

Junieliz, hope you're still OK and your legs aren't bothering you.

Take it easy girls

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi
good to know the xeolda is slightly better than the epi, this will ghive me something to look forward to, I phoned my BCN and she is going to see me after epi on Friday, to check me over and hopefully i will get fitted with my prothesis, she didn't apologize for the wait so maybe this is normal in this area, she did say if i didnt feel up to it get my trial nurse to ring her and we will re-schedule,

Mal, i hope you will feel the benefit of having your meds reduced, and that the nausea eases off, well at least a bit.
I painted the skirting boards and radiator in the daughters room this morning, then slept for 1 hr after loose women, i think their great. I think this might be the last thing i get to do in her room, OH and emma had a moan at me for doing it, Em also said the house stinks of paint, dont know why i bother,

Junieliz, how are you feeling a few days in, hope the heat pad helped.

Shirl

maltomlin

Hi Girls

Strange how we all react differently to the chemos junieliz. Most people find CMF more tolerable than Epi. You need to keep an eye on your legs though. If you have the problem again you could do with 'phoning the chemo hotline. But apart from that it sounds as though you're handling it OK.

Shirl you've been waiting a long time for your prosthesis! Hopefully you'll get your wig a bit quicker. I still had my hair when I went for my 2nd Epi it starting coming out in handfuls the following week, so you should have 2 to 3 weeks before you need it.

When I went to Christies on Friday they told me that I was on a higher dose of xeloda than I should be and offered to reduce it. I refused saying I'd been OK. Anyway the nausea has been getting steadily worse this cycle so I phoned the trials nurse this morning and she's reduced the dose by 20%. Even with the nausea it still wasn't anywhere near as bad as Epi.

Take care girls

Mal x

junieliz

Hi Mal and all, went for first CMF on Monday had it through the line everything was ok, but the line is a bit sore, keep putting heat pad on so hopefully it will get better. I have been ok on epi but my legs below knees started to get hard on Monday night and I wasn't passing water much even though I was drinking plenty, went to bed Monday night legs ok next morning, up two hours legs hard again, so sat with them elivated, went to bed Tuesday and was back to normal with the waterworks so legs ok so far today. Skin a bit sore to the touch, sickness once yesterday, so yes different to epi for me but doable as we say. Hope you ladies are all well take care love junieliz

ForumMember

Hi Mal
I hope you do get down this way before the month is out, it will be nice for you to have a few days at the van,
i will add imodium to my shoping list for tomorrow, my first aid box is quickly turning into a cabinet.
The trial nurse has told me that it wont take long to administer, she said i will have a meeting again when i get there to go over everything again, then have my treatment, she said i should leave by lunchtime, my appointment is at 10.
I asked her today how i long i should wait for my prosthesis, it's been 10 weeks since my op, and the softie i was given on leaving hos is past its best, and even though OH tells me i dont smell i think i do, even though i have washed the sock. She is going to ask the BCN to come over to the chemo ward to see me, My sister said she didn't wait this long for hers. I just hope i dont wait this long for a wig,

take care all
Shirl
xx

maltomlin

Hi Shirl

Small world! Our van is in Llanrug. We last got down there about a month ago and are hoping to get down for a few days before the site closes at the end of October.

Hate to tell you this but I (like to be different) never suffered from constipation - quite the opposite! So make sure you have some immodium as well.

Not long now. Hope you're not getting too nervous. Don't know whether you know but the epi doesn't take long at all, only about 45 minutes. Some of the other combinations have to be ordered on the day, which means waiting about, and then takes a couple of hours to administer. I was still there for about 3 hours in total, waiting for bloods to be taken and the pharmacy........ Last Friday I had to wait 2 hours just for the pharmacy to give me the xeloda tablets.

Hope everyone else OK.

Mal x

ForumMember

HI Mal
my oldest sister bought a static this summer and she has it on a site in Caernarfon, it's really lovely and OH sister also lives there, she used to live in Penisarwaen by Llanberis, this is such a lovely area it's a shame you cant get there as often anymore.
Well i bought a big bag of natural liquorice to help with any constipation i might get, i prefer this to prunes, any excuse i just like liquorice. also bought 48 bottles of water i'm trying to drink 3or 4 a day.
hope you all enjoyed the sun at the weekend,

Shirl

maltomlin

Hi Girls

Shirl you lucky thing being in North Wales. We've had a static caravan between Llanberis and Carnarfon for a few years now but don't get down there as much as we'd like to. Like you say, just walking on the beach and sitting watching the sea is so relaxing and peaceful. Your family's been so unlucky but the insurance plan was an excellent idea (even tho' you'd rather not claim) and a holiday will give you something to plan for and look forward to. Don't start worrying about xeloda yet. One bridge at a time. Everyone reacts differently to chemo so you just have to be prepared to 'go with the flow'. I had my first on a Friday and felt nothing (just a bit spaced out). Sitting in the garden on the Sunday I thought they'd given me the wrong drug - the effects didn't kick in 'til Monday. 2nd epi was different again!

Hope you're feeling better now Jackie and have enjoyed the time with your granddaughter.

Junieliz - hope you find it easier now the line's fitted. Let us know how you've gone on today.

Fiona - glad you're feeling more human and hope that you had a good day in the sun yesterday.

Stay well ladies

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi all
Mal, im just into North Wales only 20 min from Chester and about 45 min from Manchester, also not to far from the beach, I love going there to relax i find it's so soothing walking along the beach, even in the rain. So glad your scan results were clear, and im sure the hangover was worth it, I havn't prepared any meals i just have not had the time, but my OH is such a good cook and he enjoys cooking so i think me n Em will be fine, My oldest sis had her treatment at Christies for her bowel and womb cancer, she was so unlucky to have to seperate cancers at the same time but 8 years on she is brill, after both my sisters got the C, i took out a well woman plan against getting a female cancer, hoping i would never need to make a claim, but the claim is in and just waiting for my surgeon to send it back, then wait and see if they will pay out, it will be a great holiday at the end of all this if they do. and Mal do we have to take the Xeolda at the same time every day, my brain is getting so confused trying to take in all the different information and trying to accept that this is really me it's happening to.

Jackie, hope you had a great time with your grandaughter, A hangover without the drink, now thats not a pleasant thing to have, i hope you soon feel more like your old self soon, and i think we have to learn to take it easy and relax, but if your anything like me i dont want this thing to rob me of 1 day, so i try to carry on and because i dont feel ill its easy to kid myself that alls well,

Juneieliz, good to hear from you, it is so good to have family visit, but when my sis comes to visit with her 6 youngest it's great to see them all but if the weather is lousy its hard to amuse them all, but now she has moved closer to me the kids dont come here so often,

Fi, sorry to hear you are one of the unlucky ones and that you have had things rough, i have read on other hreads that quite a few ladies complain of a sore back and tenderness, as if we dont suffer enough, I have decided that after my first session that im coming home and im going to be a total couch potatoe for that day and laze around watching my fav feel good movies, then take each day as it comes because i cant plan ahead incase i have a sh***y day.

My daughter is getting my sense of humour with this thing, she has worked out that if i have my 1st chemo on the 17th and most people on here say their hair starts to leave after 14 days, she said i can get away with it because the 31st is halloween, and i can frighten all the kids that come knocking on our door, and i wont even have to buy a costume, Scary but true.
Well OH just putting up my new washing line, it's lovely and sunny here and quite warm in my back garden, Im hoping to get some painting done in the daughters room later, skirting boards and radiator, OH is taking her skating so i will have the house to myself,

Hope you all have a good day with many more to follow, and enjoy the sunshine

Shirl

Flo62

Hi Trojan (Shirl), I'm not the best at keeping up to date with the forum but just to say that good luck for the forthcoming weeks. I've chatted on the other threads and I, too am on Arm 4. First 2 weeks -no nausea and generally felt ok - I did have a major hiccup and caught cold which ended up going into Chrisities (see other thread). I have to say that the 3rd Epi just hit me. Been feeling very nauseaus, massive headache, difficult to swallow hot liquids as hurts upper bit of windpipe/oesophagus and generally yuk! I seem to be one of the 1 in 10 that reacts to the gcsf and nobody can touch me or hug me for 2 days as my back just is so tender, and I just disappear to bed. So, as you can see I think the other girls are right that each arm has it's +ve and -ve's. However for the first 2 sessions I felt 'great' (well considering!!) and did loads. Will check more this week. Going out to get some fresh air with family today (lovely and sunny here in South Manchester) as been cooped up feeling sorry for self for 5 days.
Fiona x

junieliz

Hi Jackie, sorry you are not feeling well, hope you will be up and about soon. I had my grandchildren yesterday love to see them but it is tiring so relaxed when they went home. I am starting CMF on Monday so feel as though I am halfway, I had a line fitted on Thursday as veins playing up so hopefully it will be better and the veins will recover. Take care all you ladies love junieliz

maltomlin

Good to hear from you Jackie. You sound as though you've been overdoing it and you really should be taking it easy. I found my 2nd epi the hardest and like you had been trying to carry on as normal. For the 3rd and 4th I just went with the flow and didn't go out for the first week after, was glued to the sofa and slept.

It'll be lovely for you to see your granddaughter but take it easy! Had 8 of the grandchildren round for tea today and did find it a bit much. It was lovey to see them all playing but also lovely to see them go.

They don't do routine scans here in Manchester either. A couple of months ago I had a CT scan because I'd been complaining of a pain in my shoulder (good side). It was just tendonitis but it did show something on my liver and adrenal gland. The onc said he couldn't rule out secondaries. Had another CT scan a couple of weeks ago and then the all clear - just cysts. You can imagine how my head's been all over the place the last couple of months. Well I went over the top celebrating last night and ended up with a proper hangover this morning. I was just so relieved I burst into tears when given the all clear.

Hope you're enjoying your week-end Shirl.

Well back to setting the alarm for tomorrow morning as Xeloda tablets start again. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Take care girls

Mal x

jackiek55

Hi Mal

I'm here but today's been a bit of a down one for me. Felt as though I've had a hangover without the pleasure of the drink. I'm sure it will be better tomorrow. My younger daughter is visiting with my 2 1/2yr old granddaughter. That's sure to cheer me up. We don't get to see her very often as they live over 2 hours away, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them. I'll just have to grab a nap when I can. So glad to hear your good scan results. Not sure if they do regular scans here in Sheffield, not had any so far.

Enjoy your busy days Shirl. Thursday will soon be here and over and hopefully you'll not get too many se's. I have been a bit worse this time but perhaps that's because I've tried to do too much. I've been out every day, except today, since I had my chemo on Monday. I'll remember to take it a bit easier next time.

Take care

Jackie

maltomlin

Hi Shirl

Chester, just love it there. Where are you? We are in Manchester and I'm being treated at Christies. I did get an NHS wig from the hospital but to be honest it wasn't very comfortable so my OH treated me to another from Contrast wigs. It wasn't too expensive - £75 but is lighter, more comfortable and it feels and looks like real hair. Some hospitals give you a voucher that can be used elsewhere but not Christies.

You're keeping yourself busy this week. I was cooking for England the week before chemo. The freezer was bursting at the seams. It was just my way of keeping busy.

Try not to get too nervous. Your imagination runs away with you and it honestly won't be as bad as you're expecting. Just remember to have something to eat before you go and drink loads of water (will get rid of the red wee quicker). I always had the epi in the morning and went straight from the chemo suite to the hospital canteen for lunch. You'll be fine. If I can do it, you can.

I had a CT scan 2 weeks ago and got the results this morning. Completely clear everywhere. So relieved. You imagine all sorts. Also collected my 2nd xeloda tablets, so only 2 more and then I'm finished with chemo and onto rads.

I was thinking, as you're on arm 4 like me, once your hair departs it will only be about 8 weeks before it starts growing again. That doesn't sound too bad does it? I've got used to going out in my wig now. The first few times I felt really self-conscious but then I went into work and one of the fellas told me that my new hairstyle looked brilliant and took 10 years off me (I'm 56). No looking back after that.

Not heard from Jackie for a day or two - hope you're OK.

Take care

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi Mal
went to Chester with my sis today, what a lovely day, we were sat in a cafe when a woman came up to me and said i just love your hair and the pink streaks are great and i love the cut, when i wasn't as thrilled as she thought i might be with her comments. I felt i had to tell her that i will be losing it very soon, 51 years and no one as ever come up to tell me how great my hair is, but now it's gonna depart an i get a fantastic compliment, life with cancer sucks !!!!!!!.

I read in one of the booklets i was given that you can get a NHS voucher for £150 towards your wig, but all the hospital told me was that they have a wig clinic and they have given me an appointment, what if i dont like their wigs can i go elsewhere and claim the voucher.

My OH is really the best and he proved it this morning when i tried one of his woolly hats on, He said DONT get a hat like that you look like a Bag Lady, ths is why i take him clothes shopping he always tells me the truth, ha ha,

I will NOT be injecting myself, my friend Jane , OH, or district nurse can do it, but i wont. Im starting to get quite nervous now about the chemo, but i have plans to stay busy till next friday, Im going out to friends on Sat, taking daughter skating on Sun, out with my sis to her cancer unit for her check up on Monday, out for meal on Tues, helping to paper the daughters bedroom on Wed, Sleeping on Thursday then whoopee woo it's Epi-day.

relax n keep smiling

Shirl x

maltomlin

Hi Shirl

I never lost my eyebrows and lashes and was so glad. I think I was dreading that more than the hair. I got my wig online from Contrast wigs and it's brilliant. Even has three different coloured streaks. Everyone has admired it. The injection I had done by the district nurse who came round the day after chemo. There's no way I could have injected myself. Your OH sounds perfect! It's so important getting the support, treats and hugs!

Glad you're getting out and about Jackie and not just glued to the sofa. You seem to be coping really well.

Keep well girls

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi
sorry to hear your hair is on the way out, I bought myself a hat today and the daughter liked it, But im nervous of how i will look without my golden locks.

will i lose my eyebrows and eyelashes too,

I have asked if i can get the GCSF done at home to save having another 70 mile round trip, my friend is a doctor and she has offered to do it for me if i cant face doing it myself. i shake at the thought of it.

Mal i hope i get on with the Xeloda as well as you,

OH just came home from taking the daughter Ice Skating, and bless him he bought me some chocolates, and he took today off work and we went shoping and out for lunch, He is so good .

Shirl

maltomlin

Hi Jackie

Glad you're doing OK. Can sympathise over the hair. I got really fed up of the hair coming out and especially in bed when it was all over my face when I turned over. Felt much better when I shaved it off (had a couple of drinks first).

and yes Shirl is on the fast track.

Malx

jackiek55

Hi girls

I'm still hanging on in here. A little bit of heartburn today but nothing that I can't handle. Went out this afternoon and met a couple of retired pals from work for coffee. (except I didn't have the coffee as it made my heartburn worse, just like being pregnant all over again, I stuck to sparkling water) It was good to get out and chat about normal things, like grandchildren etc.

I'm now getting a bit jealous of the Arm4 brigade, you'll be finishing before me Shirl, good on you. Also glad that you are getting on well with the Xeloda Mal.

My hair is definitely on the way out, day 17 today. Not had any great chunks fall out yet but am aware of loose hair on all my clothes. I've got my wig and plenty of hats, scarves and bandanas ready.

Take care

Jackie

maltomlin

Hi Girls

Arm 4 Shirl - same as me! Sounds as though you've been enjoying yourself over the last few days. Good for you. The restaurant is amazingly cheap. You'll have to book a table for the second week after your chemo. It's important to have something to look forward to. When do you start - 17th?

Jackie, hope you're still Ok and just going with the flow.

Mal x

ForumMember

Hi all
glad it went ok for you Jackie, and the weather at Alton Towers was cold but sunny and the kids all had a great time, Well all went well yesterday and i got arm 4, so i went out with my mates from work last night to a fantastic french restaurant and i had the nicest steak i have ever eaten followed by a great banofee pie and they gave me a bottle of wine to go and all for £15, It was so good im going to take OH next Tuesday before i start chemo,

Going to look at wigs on the 20th but i dont think they will have one to match my hair colour so im a little worried, im a natural redhead and when i was diagnosed my hairdresser put some pink streaks in it, but they look really good or so everyone tells me.

Shirl x

maltomlin

Hi all

Glad it went OK yesterday Jackie and hope you're still feeling fine. The Spag Bol sounds good but wine??? Still can't touch it - I'm just jealous. Keep drinking plenty of water.

Right then Shirl, which arm have you got?

Mal x

jackiek55

Hi Mal and everyone

Again so far so good. Treatment only took 40 minutes and I was home just after lunch. Had a quick nap in the middle of Deal or No Deal but apart from that I feel fine. OH cooked a very nice Spag Bol for tea and we've had a nice glass of red wine with it, followed by several glasses of water.

Good luck for tomorrow Shirl.

Jackie

maltomlin

Hi there

Glad you've been keeping busy Shirl. How was the weather for Alton Towers? It was lovely here in Manchester so hope it was the same for you.

Hope your chemo went OK today Jackie.

Don't forget to let us know how you go on tomorrow Shirl.

Take care

Mal

ForumMember

Hi al
i have been keeping so busy this week, out wirh friends for lunch and redesigning a bedroom for our teenager daughter, We are all out for a party tonight so been having a girly day in while OH is in work, Poor Him.

Sunday we are taking the daughter and 2 friends to Alton Towers, hope it stays dry, if not we will be going to the water park there instead,

Monday, going to collect new wardrobes and select wallpaper, light fittings and a new bed, OH & brother in law are going to lay the floor and build the wardrobes while my sister is going to do the wallpapering, Im thinking of taking bets on what will be finished first my treatment or the daughters bedroom.

Tuesday will be D day, i will know today what arm im on, and will rush home to share the info with my new buddies,

have a great weekend and no matter what try and smile i find it makes me feel good,

Shirl

jackiek55

Hi Trojan

I am also on the TACT2 trial arm 2, which means I get accelerated epi every two weeks and then normal cmf in a four week cycle like Lily. I had my first epi on 22 Sept and am now due my second on Monday. I had very mild side effects from the first, mainly tiredness and a bit of backache caused by the Neulasta injection on day two. Just hoping that it continues like this. I had no sickness or nausea, which was the thing I dreaded most, but I did take my antisickness tablets before meals for the first three days even though I didn't feel sick. I went for my bloods today and they were OK so the injection must have worked. Anyway let us know how you get on Tuesday.

Jackie

maltomlin

Hi Trojan

I agree with Lily that one of the bonuses of being on the trial is the close monitoring. I see the Onc every time I go to the hospital and I find that reassuring. There are positive and negatives with each arm and some will suit some people more than others.

I don't know whether it's coincidence but I read somewhere that Manuka honey was good for keeping your WBC up, so I've been taking it every day and have had no problems. You can buy it in Tescos, Morrisons or Holland & Barrett. It's understandable that your OH is being a little overprotective (better than not caring), but I've been working since for the last six weeks. Only 4 hours a day and then I need a sleep, but my employers have been great and I had reached a stage where I needed something 'normal' back other than thinking, breathing and talking BC.

Brilliant to hear that your sister is 8 years down the road.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Mal

Lily200

Hi Trojan,
I have been on TACT2 since May and I got arm one from the computer. You can always say no and go to regular treatment if you are unhappy with the draw the computer gives you or you can think fate played a hand. Depends on your feelings about things like that! You will find that there are pluses and minuses with each arm, but every one has to be at least as good as the standard treatment and having your own research nurse is brilliant and you also get more regular checks in the future. Downside of arm one is the length of time 28 weeks and CMF is given as double doses so you go 2 weeks in a row in the final 4 , so more visits - 12 in total. Upside is you get to have 4 different chemotherapy drugs and as yet no-one knows which drug will kill a particular tumour so 4 chances. Also there are no extra injections and you should get 2 good weeks in every cycle to do all the normal stuff and work if you want. Nothing guaranteed of course!! I call it the long country route rather than the motorway but long gaps between each dose can be good for some people.
Hope some others will post on the ups and downs of the trial so that whichever you get, you still feel like you won something on the tombola draw!! Your immune system is low for a short while, but mine has been high right through. Eating a salad out can be more dangerous than walking around! Don't tell him I said that in case he worries even more!
Lots of luck in the coming months
Lily x

ForumMember

Cheers Mal
I have checked out the Chemo Tips and will be taking a trip to boots, feeling nervous about what trial i will be given and unlike previous hospital appoitments im looking forward to tuesday, sad or what,

My hubby is being so protective and thinks i should stay indoors for the period im having chemo so that i wont run into infections, i told him OK you can do all the christmas shopping then he has been a great support so have all my friends and family, My older sister had BC 8 years ago and she's doing great, she thinks the advances made since then are great.

I will let you know on Tuesday how i get on.

maltomlin

Hi Trojan

I am on arm 4 of the tact 2 trial (accelerated epi followed by xeloda tablets), have finished epi and am just finishing the first cycle of xeloda. Was really please to be allocated arm 4 but having epi every other week does take it out of you a bit. Having said that the time passed in a flash and the xeloda tablets are so much easier.

Everyone is different and has different side effects to the chemo. I also found each cycle of chemo to be slightly different - not pleasant but doable.

There are a lot of people on the tact 2 trial and there are a couple of existing threads. If you want to have a look or join in, just do a search 'Tact 2' topic. You'll get loads of info and support.

And make sure you also search for 'Top Tips for Chemo' topic.

Let us know which arm you are allocated.

Best of luck

Mal

ForumMember

Tact2 trial

Hi everyone,
I have just agreed to take part in this trial, I will find out next Tuesday which stage im going on, and i start my chemo on 17 October, had my first op on 6th august Masectomy and SNB one node infected one clear, got through this op and felt great no pain for 3 day's then next op on 3rd sept to remove further nodes and these were all found to be clear, much more pain after this op and still cant raise my arm up very high, anybody else out there starting on this trial or already taken part, i would love to get your views.